Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 15
Re: OT British Election
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 26, 2016 21:11

Indeed good points made by His Majesty. I particularly zoomed in on the possibility of war in Europe. I sort of believe this because I think the "terrorist" war is running thin and they need to create a new enemy. Maybe this is it? Anyway it's a very interesting turn of events any way you look at it. Pun intendedwinking smiley

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: June 26, 2016 22:43

GREAT move by the UK!!!

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: June 26, 2016 22:49

Don't understand why this thread is not deleted.
Bugger off with your British Election.
Greetings from Holland a.k.a. The Netherlands by some people.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: June 26, 2016 22:51

I voted for out, and I know in my heart and mind it was the right decision.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 26, 2016 23:23

Its always the blame game, many Leavers just wanted to blame the Conservatives.
But is 52-48 a 'huge mandate' for Brexit?
I keep thinking of the Monty Python sketch in Life Of Brian. "What did the Romans ever do for us?'
Well they gave us:
An aqueduct/Sanitation/Roads/"Irrigation/Medecine/Education/Wine/Public Baths/Peace.
The Remain camp should have given a far more positive message on what Europe has achieved. But to claim that The Community has enabled peace since 1945 (between the original members) struck me as a rather desperate claim.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 26, 2016 23:32

terry
I voted for out, and I know in my heart and mind it was the right decision.

Why was it the right decision?

Posted by: Stonesfan62 ()
Date: June 26, 2016 23:35

The remainers only have themselves to blame for this result. It started with uncontrolled mass immigration into this country under the last labour government. The majority who voted had clearly had enough of the threats from George Osborne and Barack Obama telling everyone they were making a huge mistake in voting leave. Rightly or wrongly it played into the hands of the leave campaign.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 26, 2016 23:45

I was shocked when I heard the Brexiteers had won. But whatever side you backed – ain't it shocking that nobody – nether the UK government nor the Brexit supporters – seems to have any kind of plan or roadmap what to do now? I think it's completely absurd that government obviously doesn't have a plan B…

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 26, 2016 23:52

slewan
I was shocked when I heard the Brexiteers had won. But whatever side you backed – ain't it shocking that nobody – nether the UK government nor the Brexit supporters – seems to have any kind of plan or roadmap what to do now? I think it's completely absurd that government obviously doesn't have a plan B…

Did the Goverments have a Road Map post the Iraq war?
Ditto Afghanistan.

Same old same old.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: June 27, 2016 01:41

In reply to stanlove on why it was the right decision. I don't think this is the right place to discuss politics.
But I give you a couple of stats about the EU ...there are 751 euro MPs each receive £4850 per months, plus perks, like free travel, and even free hair cuts.These clueless wonders are making up our laws,and making decisions that effect country's in the eu. I be here all day given reasons why I voted out, but I leave it at that. I see the remainers are still whinging about the result,the British have voted, and we have to abide by that.Europe is a wondeful place,with fantastic country's that I love to visit. I just think project Brussels has just got to big, and to interfering.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 27, 2016 01:57

RipThisBone
Don't understand why this thread is not deleted.
Bugger off with your British Election.
Greetings from Holland a.k.a. The Netherlands by some people.

Excuse me? How utterly charming.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 27, 2016 02:02

I can understand the leave side. There are/were some bad sides to remaining in the EU, I'm sure. I just wonder if it's a good idea for a country that economically depends on being an international banking powerhouse. It will be interesting to see what happens with that segment, and the effects on the UK economy overall. Not to mention how it will affect the world economy. Short-term, the markets reacted badly, but any change tends to do that.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 27, 2016 02:21

My anxieties post-leaving continue to grow. It's going to take many months before we get a clearer picture of what the United Kingdom is like post-European Union. I like the idea of a fully independent U.K. and detest the crybaby hissy-fits and bawling from some factions of the 'remain' camp, yet, the European Union possessed many benefits that the U.K. may go on to miss. I feel like I'm repeating myself over and over, but let's wait and see. Lord, give oour great nation a chance. Things may just be okay after all.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 27, 2016 04:15

Big Al, I feel VERY concerned re all my friends in the UK.
The Prime Minister soon to be gone deserves quite a bit of blame.
A real leader should always have a back-up plan for the country.
Wish you and Britain ALL THE BEST.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: June 27, 2016 09:15

jlowe

Actually, this is wrong arithmetics. One has to consider the percentage of voters (72 %, I think), too. This means that 28 % of the whole population were not against but in a practical sense for the Brexit. 52 - 48 out of 72 % makes something like 37 to 35 which means a total 65 % FOR leaving the EU.

Date: June 27, 2016 10:08

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: June 27, 2016 11:01

I've got a hundred thousand US dollars that I can't convert to yen because of you racist, small-minded Brexiters.

(That was not political, that was emotional.)

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: June 27, 2016 12:02

No wonder people here voted out. Looking at the demographics of the vote, old and conservative people voted out - clearly destroying the future of the younger generation against their will. Those who are comfy with their golden pensions, sitting at home listening to a 60-year-old rock band are making the decisions about something they don't even understand. Thank you...

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: June 27, 2016 15:13

in reality, this referendum has no legal value so the article 50 might never be applied.
Except that Cameron is about to dismiss in october and if Johnson was to be elected PM I suppose he would officialize the Brexit.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 27, 2016 15:23

jpasc95
in reality, this referendum has no legal value so the article 50 might never be applied.
Except that Cameron is about to dismiss in october and if Johnson was to be elected PM I suppose he would officialize the Brexit.

True, the government doesn't have to follow the result of the referendum.
But, if the government doesn't follow the Brexit referendum, it will be hit by an enormous "shit storm" and will not survive the next election. And then, we will have UKIP as the biggest party in UK and Farage as the next PM.

You can't have a referendum and then afterwards say "sorry", we didn't mean it, "it was just a joke".smileys with beer

The next PM, if Cameron doesn't want, has to activate article 50 - even if he likes it or not. BJ most likely becomes the next PM, so he should be pro and activate it. He argued for an "Exit".

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: June 27, 2016 15:32

New World Order: Trump. Johnson/Farage. Le Pen. Putin.

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades"
Timbuk 3 smoking smiley

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 27, 2016 15:42

ROLLINGSTONE
New World Order: Trump. Johnson/Farage. Le Pen. Putin.

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades"
Timbuk 3 smoking smiley

Geert Wilders in Holland and a come back to Berlusconi....smileys with beer

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 27, 2016 15:46

jlowe
I keep thinking of the Monty Python sketch in Life Of Brian. "What did the Romans ever do for us?'
Well they gave us:
An aqueduct/Sanitation/Roads/"Irrigation/Medecine/Education/Wine/Public Baths/Peace.
The Remain camp should have given a far more positive message on what Europe has achieved. But to claim that The Community has enabled peace since 1945 (between the original members) struck me as a rather desperate claim.

Problem was that too many of the leading lights in the remain camp aren't really pro EEC and are themselves quite " Eurosceptic" .
No real enthusiasm...their best arguments really amounted to no more than "better the devil you know...."

I also suspect that if a few more lazy sods had voted...it might have gone the other way. There will have been many tosuands who didn't want to leave and just assumed that plenty of other folks would vote to remain without their help.

In contrast, the vast majority of folks wanting to laeve will have voted !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-27 16:18 by Spud.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: June 27, 2016 15:59

Lorenz
No wonder people here voted out. Looking at the demographics of the vote, old and conservative people voted out - clearly destroying the future of the younger generation against their will. Those who are comfy with their golden pensions,
sitting at home listening to a 60-year-old rock band are making the decisions about something they don't even understand. Thank you...

So if I hear you correctly, the older conservatives who voted to leave are to ignorant to understand the referendum to exit the EU. Of course you understand each and every one of their individual situations and life styles and you know what's better for them.

Hummmm, does that sound a little like Elite Brussel bureaucrats dictating the best laws and mandates on how you should live your life. See any parallels here.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 27, 2016 16:10

Swayed1967
I've got a hundred thousand US dollars that I can't convert to Yen because of you Brexiters.

Please explain...

Date: June 27, 2016 16:11

ROLLINGSTONE
New World Order : Trump. Johnson/Farage. Le Pen. Putin.

I'd take any of these 4 over old cankles "your price is mine" Clinton...

Date: June 27, 2016 16:13

jpasc95

JP stop reading "Libé" please... grinning smiley

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 27, 2016 16:58

virgil
Lorenz
No wonder people here voted out. Looking at the demographics of the vote, old and conservative people voted out - clearly destroying the future of the younger generation against their will. Those who are comfy with their golden pensions,
sitting at home listening to a 60-year-old rock band are making the decisions about something they don't even understand. Thank you...

So if I hear you correctly, the older conservatives who voted to leave are to ignorant to understand the referendum to exit the EU. Of course you understand each and every one of their individual situations and life styles and you know what's better for them.

Hummmm, does that sound a little like Elite Brussel bureaucrats dictating the best laws and mandates on how you should live your life. See any parallels here.

Well, that's the current propaganda nowadays. Here in Italy some commentator has even proposed to take civil rights away from people older than 55. Strange that no one has mentioned that when the older electorate voted by vast majority for the "Democrat" party currently running the government, innit?!

Maybe the so-called "Erasmus generation" could have thought about that beforehand, since only 36% of the citizens aged 18 - 24 turned out to vote for the Brexit referemdum. They might well have taken an hour off their facebook chat and go out to vote.

This kind of propaganda once more demonstrates how much this EU project is not compatible with democracy.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: June 27, 2016 17:00

virgil
Lorenz

Yes, I think they are too ignorant to understand what all of this really means. The world got really complicated really fast and a lot of older people (older, less educated, countryside) just don't get it anymore. They want simple answers for complicated problems. They are in their "Daily Mail" bubble, only seeing simplified headline news. The problem is very much the same in many European countries.

It's old vs. young, educated vs. uneducated and city vs. countryside. I grew up feeling European, speaking different languages, working in different countries - most of my friends live all over Europe. We share a common view, a common perspective. It's being DESTROYED by grumpy, simple old people. I know this is @#$%& arrogant to say, but I really don't know how I would possibly bridge that gap anymore. How would they understand if they lack the knowledge, the information and the willingness to discuss?

The populists now win, because they tell their voters "it's ok the way you are and we understand you". I see how that appeals vs. my arrogant view, but it's not a solution. Our problems won't be solved by Trump, Le Pen, Farage, Strache, et al, but our common future as tolerant societies are in serious danger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-27 17:05 by Lorenz.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 27, 2016 17:01

dcba
ROLLINGSTONE
New World Order : Trump. Johnson/Farage. Le Pen. Putin.

I'd take any of these 4 over old cankles "your price is mine" Clinton...
So then there's no conclusion to draw other than you're a proto-fascist.

If your most substantive argument against Clinton is that she has "cankles", then you've got some serious issues.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1502
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home