Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 15
Re: OT British Election
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 24, 2016 21:43

With the exception of middle-class Tunbridge Wells, the entire south-east of a England overwhelmingly voted 'out'

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 24, 2016 21:46

Why was the general population even allowed to vote on this issue? There's a reason there is representational government. I say that as a lifelong resident of California, where we have ballot propositions that can bypass or override the legistature. I have always found that process annoying and prone to being captured by whomever has the most money for big advertising campaigns or can appeal to the lowest common denominator. If people feel that strongly about something, then let them vote for blocs of representatives who will do that work for them. Then they can see what types of ideologies are associated with that issue, and vote for the whole package that goes with it.

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: June 24, 2016 21:47

Aah, the British Queen has it her way. She probably would love to have Cameron's head chopped off. Just like the good old days, lol.

Date: June 24, 2016 22:22

marianna
Why was the general population even allowed to vote on this issue?quote]

If you are a British Citizen, or permanent resident ('Indefinite Leave To Remain') of the United Kingdom, you were eligible to vote in this referendum.

Date: June 24, 2016 22:24

In response to marianna :-

If you are a British Citizen, or Permanent Resident ('Indefinite Leave To Remain') of the United Kingdom, and registered to vote, you were eligible to vote in this referendum.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: June 24, 2016 22:38

Big Al
In response to marianna :-

If you are a British Citizen, or Permanent Resident ('Indefinite Leave To Remain') of the United Kingdom, and registered to vote, you were eligible to vote in this referendum.

Eu citizen do not get a indefinite leave to remain stamp in their passport so we could not vote.Commonwealth citizens on the other hand were allowed to.
We have the option of applying for a permanent resident card after5.years, but most people did not have one and could still not vote. We can only vote in local elections.sad smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 24, 2016 22:38

marianna
Why was the general population even allowed to vote on this issue? There's a reason there is representational government. I say that as a lifelong resident of California, where we have ballot propositions that can bypass or override the legistature. I have always found that process annoying and prone to being captured by whomever has the most money for big advertising campaigns or can appeal to the lowest common denominator. If people feel that strongly about something, then let them vote for blocs of representatives who will do that work for them. Then they can see what types of ideologies are associated with that issue, and vote for the whole package that goes with it.
Well said. The way ballot initiatives in California get hijacked is a perfect representation for why direct democracy is a highly flawed and scary system.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 24, 2016 22:41

andy js
Harlem Shuffler
We're only a small island but we've got half of Europe here already. Do we want the other half too? No we bloody don't.

is that you Nigel? don't talk bollocks

Nigel had already had too many pints ..... hot smiley

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: June 24, 2016 22:46

There is 3 million eu citizens in the eu. Hence 0.5 % of the UK population and hardly half of Europe!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 24, 2016 22:53

Yes, but when the establishment not really represents the people referendums or direct democracy (like in Switzerland) is a way for the people to regain power. There is here in Sweden, and I guess many other Western states a big division between the will of the people and the will of the establishment. Many polls shows that. And this gap is not only due to the EU but to issues like globalism, job opportunities, immigration and such. In the old days the political left were anti-establishment and stood behind the people and the working classes. Nowadays the left is part of the establishment and represents the establishment and the middle classes. This is a bit complicated to understand but I hope I will have the opportunity to come back to the question as this thread develops.

Date: June 24, 2016 22:59

desertblues68
There is 3 million eu citizens in the eu. Hence 0.5 % of the UK population and hardly half of Europe!

Farage making calculations. Lots of pints today :-)

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: June 24, 2016 23:10

Big Al
With the exception of middle-class Tunbridge Wells, the entire south-east of a England overwhelmingly voted 'out'

I live in a very affluent area in the south east and most of the people I know are pissed off with the result.

Nate

Date: June 24, 2016 23:16

Nate
Big Al

I live in a very affluent area in the south east and most of the people I know are pissed off with the result.

Nate
I don't doubt that; especially amongst the 18-30 demographic. However, look at the statistics. The south-east was an overwhelming 'out'

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 24, 2016 23:20

Not trying to start a religious discussion/fight on here, but just saying that Revelations speaks of a 10 nation union of members of the old Roman Empire.

Way too many in the EU for that at the moment.

Could this be the beginning of other nations' leaving also?

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: June 24, 2016 23:43

Elmo Lewis
Not trying to start a religious discussion/fight on here, but just saying that Revelations speaks of a 10 nation union of members of the old Roman Empire.

I'm not going to get into that; but I respect one bringing these topics up all the same.

Date: June 24, 2016 23:43

marianna

Fanfare for the Common Man.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 24, 2016 23:47

emotionalbarbecue
After 50 years of travelling around the world is astounding that Jagger is nationalist and declared in favour of brexit.

Le Pen, Putin, Maduro, Fidel Castro are happy with the results...

When The Stones went into tax exile in 1971 they initially settled in France.
Mick made some very disparaging comments about French people at the time.
Forgetting of course their more favourable tax regime.
The trouble is many British just don't like 'foreigners'. The immigration issue has been THE big factor with a strange alliance of Old Labour working class voters and right wing Tories who never wanted to be in the European Community in the first place.
Cameron should never have promised a referendum , it was always a gamble. It proves how out of touch most of Westminster is.The chattering classes have an arrogance beyond belief.
Sad day....and troubled times ahead.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 24, 2016 23:50

Jesus, we're at end of times?
Well the overpopulation of humans is speeding up the earths decline, making the inhabitants sicker. Autism 1 in 64, Alzheimer's practically a given/ snowballs of crazy toxic effects, what a circle out of control.
But hey I did read some women can now get birth control pills online w/ out a Dr.

I don't make light/ not educated enough on EU particulars/GB's effect of getting out,
but things are pretty screwed up over here too to my friends (USA)

Date: June 24, 2016 23:50

[www.youtube.com]

"England swings like a pendulum do
Bobbies on bicycles, two by two
Westminster Abbey, the tower of Big Ben
The rosy-red cheeks of the little children"

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 24, 2016 23:51

marianna
A valid question, imo.
As a brit living in Germany, with no right to vote, I feel like being bullied by some football hooligans who just screamed 2% louder than the others.
this process driving a whole country is absolutely annoying.
can anyone envision that a 1%er, speak Hells Angels, with advertising campaign skills behind them, appealing to the lowest common denominator, could swing a whole country or nation.
Disgusting!

Date: June 25, 2016 00:00

Elmo Lewis

Leaving EU doesn't help anybody at this moment. Populist politicians might think so and will try (Le Penn, Geert Wilders. etc.), but they rarely have any plan other than "leave" and focus on migration / disliking foreigners. The same will be for UK. Farage and Boris have no plan for the moment, that's why Boris says "no hurry" when leaving EU.

EU was never meant to be a bureaucratic monster. Younger bureaucrats / technocrats have made it "a bureaucratic monster" to establish their own power and abusing the system for own monetary benefits. This must be changed. And it will be difficult.

EU needs to focus on consolidation of the current 27 nations, ensuring enough integration and understanding among the population. Limiting the power of the elite in Brussels and Luxembourg. The elite must understand that they are servicing EU's population and getting paid for this job. Not the opposite.

Limit the benefits for former politicians (Kinnock's abuse of the system is well known), commissionaires, employees so they are more in line with what is on national level.

Bring EU back to what it is all about, ensuring peace, integration of the common market and growth and prosperity. Limit the regulations, where it is not necessary, such as involvement in local communities, culture, etc. Stop using time on hymns, flags, specific EU events etc. That belongs to the country and not EU.

Limit accessibility to social contributions from one country to another. Stop using EU-migrants as means to squeeze salaries for already low paid workers, etc., etc., etc.

If EU can get these things back on track - then EU still has its legitimacy.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 25, 2016 00:06

There is no risk for that, Open-g. Usually the establisment side has all the financial means. When we voted about the Euro here in Sweden the yes-side had billions (SEK) at their disposal.
The no-side hardly nothing. Still the no-side won. Which turned out to be benificial for us.

Date: June 25, 2016 00:12

Classic ‘The little people know not what they do’ from the BBC
[biasedbbc.org]

Date: June 25, 2016 00:12

mtaylor, I wholeheartedly agree with what you said.thumbs up

Posted by: Stonesfan62 ()
Date: June 25, 2016 00:38

A GREAT day for BRITAIN. FREE AT LAST!!!!

Date: June 25, 2016 00:40

Stoneage
There is no risk for that, Open-g. Usually the establisment side has all the financial means. When we voted about the Euro here in Sweden the yes-side had billions (SEK) at their disposal.
The no-side hardly nothing. Still the no-side won. Which turned out to be benificial for us.
I hear you and I'm with you.
when a whole population is asked for their vote and the question asked is clear as mud.
this is not the case in this UK's poll. mixed emotions can't be answered in yes or no. reminds me of if there's the sexually or philosofically satisfied Mick Jagger.

Date: June 25, 2016 00:44

Stonesfan62
A GREAT day for BRITAIN. FREE AT LAST!!!!
Dream on, the hardship has not even begun.

Date: June 25, 2016 00:49

Project fear didn't work get over it!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 25, 2016 01:12

All will work out fine and keep in mind.... only wet babies like change ......

ROCKMAN

Date: June 25, 2016 01:16

Well said Rockman. Where's Dean I need to kick him in the arse!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1793
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home