Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 15
Re: OT British Election
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 24, 2016 13:33

teleblaster
triceratops
I am an American and am very glad to see England vote BREXIT!

Well, as an American, perhaps you should be aware that it was the UK - not just England - which was voting in the referendum although, to be fair, Scotland and Northern Ireland did vote to remain, but Wales didn't. There will now be discussion of a second Independence referendum in Scotland on the back of this result which was driven in the media by racism and xenophobia.

Then England is not that big anymore. winking smiley The empire is falling apart. Fishing options limited, little oil industry and Financial Services "regulated by EU law" will be moving to Edinburgh, Dublin and mainland EU.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: June 24, 2016 13:40

the real problem is that now there is a serious risk that Scotland and Northern Ireland may ask for partition out of UK.

honestly, it's the only trouble that UK will have to deal with.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 24, 2016 13:47

So are England, Wales and N Ireland also eliminated from Euro 2016? smoking smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 24, 2016 13:52

Stunning turn of events . Now let us see what kind of effect it has on the rest of the EU and the US on a go forward basis. I do understand why the vote went that way to exit.

Date: June 24, 2016 13:54

jpasc95
the real problem is that now there is a serious risk that Scotland and Northern Ireland may ask for partition out of UK.

England supporting democracy big times, then they with all means should allow them to do so. Scotland back to Scotland, North Ireland back to Ireland far away from the London bureaucrats hot smiley

Everything else would be.....

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: June 24, 2016 13:56

Corbyn has failed big time by not making Labour voters aware of the fact that they have had the wool pulled over their eyes by the right wing of the Conservative Party (et al).

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: June 24, 2016 14:07

Democracy in action indeed.....

I knew it would be close, but I am surprised and a little shocked at the result, still taking it all in.......

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: June 24, 2016 14:10

jpasc95

The real problem is something far more serious that people have overlooked when casting their vote,when travelling abroad to see the stones this will now be even more expensive.

Nate >grinning smiley<

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 24, 2016 14:15

Koen
So are England, Wales and N Ireland also eliminated from Euro 2016? smoking smiley

Nope, but surely they could poll for an exit.

also there might be more migrant boats crossing the channel.
only this time its the Scots and N Irish heading to mainland. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: June 24, 2016 14:16

Nate

The real problem is something far more serious that people have overlooked when casting their vote,when travelling abroad to see the stones this will now be even more expensive.

Nate >grinning smiley<

Plus, to quote Gary Lineker - "Whatever the result, Farage will always be a dick".

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 24, 2016 14:20

Koen

They cannot be eliminated because they never had the Euro .... currency. winking smiley

The Football Championship of Europe (2016) is organized by the UEFA, not by the European Union.
Switzerland for instance is not a member of the EU (and will probably never be) but it's a member of the UEFA since 1954.

It takes btw 2 years for the UK to leave the EU and until then the current rules are still valid.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-24 14:30 by Irix.

Date: June 24, 2016 14:32

jenyk
"At least the members in the European Parliament are democratically chosen."
That´s really joke. They are absolutely out of reality, out of control, no responsibility. Thousands Euros for nothing. Worse than every parliaments in communist countries years ago...
no mtaylor is absolutely right.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 24, 2016 14:37

jpasc95

Scotland doesn't care for UE they care about the loss of money coming from Brussels thru London. If Scotland had the European vibe they'd feel a friendly feeling with Greece or Macedonia or Croatia... smoking smiley

If London decides to compensate Scotland for the financial loss over the Brexit I'm sure they won't be as keen on going independant.

Date: June 24, 2016 14:47

dcba
jpasc95

Scotland doesn't care for UE they care about the loss of money coming from Brussels thru London. If Scotland had the European vibe they'd feel a friendly feeling with Greece or Macedonia or Croatia... smoking smiley

If London decides to compensate Scotland for the financial loss over the Brexit I'm sure they won't be as keen on going independant.
no I don't agree with you.

while she was visiting Brussels recently, Prime Minister of Scotland Nicola Sturgeon has declared that remaining in the EU is undoubtedly the main concern of Scotland.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 24, 2016 14:49

It would be somewhat of an exaggeration to claim that the members of the EP are democratically chosen. Voter participation is well below 50 percent in these elections. And the candidates are preselected by the parties.
Most candidates are people that the party don't know what to do with. So they send them to Brussels. And they tend to like it there and stay for decades due to the easy earned Euros.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: June 24, 2016 14:51

dcba
jpasc95

Sorry, but the likely independence referendum has nothing to do with compensation. Scotland does care for the EU and has demonstrated solidarity with all the member states. We also welcome refugees and asylum seekers.

Posted by: Voodookitten76 ()
Date: June 24, 2016 14:56

slewan
let's hear it from the Stones:
Raise your glass to the hard working people
Let's drink to the uncounted heads
Let's think of the wavering millions
Who need leaders but get gamblers instead

Brilliant, slewan!

"Nice bit of silk, Em."

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 24, 2016 15:04

-deleted-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-24 15:38 by Koen.

Date: June 24, 2016 15:24

Stoneage
It would be somewhat of an exaggeration to claim that the members of the EP are democratically chosen. Voter participation is well below 50 percent in these elections. And the candidates are preselected by the parties.
Most candidates are people that the party don't know what to do with. So they send them to Brussels. And they tend to like it there and stay for decades due to the easy earned Euros.

Such as: Nigel Farage, who has been in EP since 1999.

Candidates in any election and parties are preselected.
Non of us can just jump in to a party and be available for election.
We can neither be elected as single person without party and support.

Your rationale is then - countries with high "voter participation" are more democratic than those with low "voter participation", for example, US with some 50-55% is little democratic compared to Germany with some 70-85% etc.

Sure, EP is not the election that gets the highest "voter participation", but the possibility is there - like in any election. People has the option of voting.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: June 24, 2016 15:33

Actually, I'm surprised by the result. I know the UK was split right down the middle regarding this issue, but I thought it would remain in the EU. Not really sure what I think about all of this...how can I begin to judge...in my country (US) the government, politics, presidential race is nothing but a 3-ring circus. Very discouraging. Trump is in Scotland right now..lucky you! You guys can keep him, I'll take your newly ex-Prime Minister!smileys with beer

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 24, 2016 15:35

I dislike much about the European Union, but this result has shocked me, certainly. I worry for the future of the United Kingdom, but we'll pull through. We have to remain positive.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 24, 2016 15:40

It's a black day for us in the UK. June 24th shall forever be known as the new black Friday

In American terms imagine if Trump gets elected as president. It's that much of a @#$%& up IMHO

The old folks have @#$%& over the next few generations

Date: June 24, 2016 15:42

mtaylor
Then England is not that big anymore.

I'm pretty sure it's the same size as it was yesterday

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 24, 2016 15:42

andy js
It's a black day for us in the UK. June 24th shall forever be known as the new black Friday

In American terms imagine if Trump gets elected as president. It's that much of a @#$%& up IMHO

The old folks have @#$%& over the next few generations
It seems like there's a wave of reactionary politics sweeping the globe, all of it stemming from the economic meltdown of 2008.

That uncertainty and fear allows demagogues and proto-fascists to rise and blame all the usual suspects for "the peoples'" problems rather than the true root causes.

Date: June 24, 2016 15:49

the right are rising ... time to dust off the baseball bats

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 24, 2016 15:50

There were many older Remainers (myself included) and younger Brexiters, but the myth is rapidly spreading that it was exclusively a right-wing older generation that voted for Brexit, and I fear that if we are in for some years of financial hardship and unemployment, the young may decide to turn on us - the resentment towards the admittedly lucky baby boom generation is already bad enough. Wish us luck - we're all going to need lots of it.

Date: June 24, 2016 15:53

Oh God, it's not all the old ones of course

But from my own personal family/friends i think about 80% all of the ones aged over 45 (my age) voted out. I don't get it - and when pressed on why they voted out i got no clear answers other than that 'i want my country back' bollocks

Back from what exactly? it hasn't gone anywhere

I try not to argue politics with anyone and it's a good job as when i woke this morning and heard the news i nearly spat my cornflakes out thumbs down

I feel sorry for the young folk

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: June 24, 2016 16:01

Wales voted to leave the EU, but receives massive amounts of EU funding and is still a very poor part of the UK. I'm disappointed in Wales and ashamed to be Welsh and British today.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 24, 2016 16:01

So do I. (feel sorry for the young folk that is.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-24 16:02 by Green Lady.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 24, 2016 16:02

andy js

I feel sorry for the young folk

Thank youthumbs up

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1130
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home