Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 15
Re: OT British Election
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 24, 2016 09:16

All votes collected:

BBC News [www.bbc.com] -- Snapshot 07:10am UK-Time

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 24, 2016 09:17

let's hear it from the Stones:
Raise your glass to the hard working people
Let's drink to the uncounted heads
Let's think of the wavering millions
Who need leaders but get gamblers instead

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 24, 2016 09:28

Preliminary Final Results:

BBC News [www.bbc.com] -- Snapshot 07:20am UK-Time

Posted by: jenyk ()
Date: June 24, 2016 09:37

Congratulations from Czech Republic. I hope for Czechexit. Better life without mad officials from Brussels...

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 24, 2016 10:20

This is disastrous news.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: June 24, 2016 10:21

Absolutly gobsmaked! I honestly thought Remain would win by 5 points, I know there is divided opinion on this board and the rules about politics so I will tread carefully but my livelihood has just suddenly been put at risk and I am scared as hell! The Pound is already getting decimated god knows how bad the markets will react . Recession is almost a given now, just can't believe this happened.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 24, 2016 10:29

Confirmed: Cameron to stand down; a new Prime Minister by October 2016.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: June 24, 2016 10:35

Absolutely shocking.

This is the generation of the old and dying, who will have to live with this decision for only 16 years, saying **** you to my generation, who will endure it for 69 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-24 10:35 by Bastion.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 24, 2016 10:43

Putin is laughing big times. He wants a split Europe... smileys with beer

Date: June 24, 2016 10:58

No, Europe was stronger and will be stronger as alliance of independent states. Better than unresponsible and unable Europe Union.

Posted by: Bluesstone ()
Date: June 24, 2016 11:13

This is truly catastrophic. It will weaken Britain significantly and is a serious blow to the European project as a whole. Flawed as the EU might be, it is the best of all bad ideas to bring peace to our continent. We don't live in the early 20th century anymore, the Empire is long gone and anyone who thinks that one nation alone is strong enough to stand its ground in the big questions of our time should think again.

Sorry to BV as this all is clearly political. But as the great Hank Moody once said: Desperate times call for desparate measures.

Posted by: mega ()
Date: June 24, 2016 11:15

Oh dear oh dear..........think! Loss of time, energy, money...... UK ... You, just took a step back in time.....
From a Rolling Stones point of view: I cant imagine The Stones losing any money since they have all their financial 'services' going thru my homeconuntry The Netherlands. By the way, it's time they payed some real taxes. So weird to walk past Herengracht 566 and realize that every cent they make is 'passing' thru this adress.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 24, 2016 11:20

The last thing EU does these days is bringing peace to our continent. This argument was, perhaps, viable during the post war time. I think it's important no to use bunkum as arguments in a serious debate.

Date: June 24, 2016 11:28

jenyk
No, Europe was stronger and will be stronger as alliance of independent states. Better than unresponsible and unable Europe Union.

Don't know how strong Europe was prior to 1945. Two World Wars in some 30 years!!!

UK's desire to leave EU is to stop paying money to and stop receiving migrants from countries, such as East Europe. If Germany, France, Holland, Nordics etc. did the same, there would no progress in countries, such as East Europe.

Date: June 24, 2016 11:30

I have never understood the argument that democracy and the people's will is about daytrading on the stock exchange.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 24, 2016 11:32

mega

From a Rolling Stones point of view: I cant imagine The Stones losing any money since they have all their financial 'services' going thru my homeconuntry The Netherlands.

They're going to make money out of the Brexit. As the GDP's crumbling it's tempting to buy some provisionally discounted £ with stronger Euros.

Mick's gonna make a few more mils! >grinning smiley<

Re: OT British Election - Black Friday
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 24, 2016 11:37

Shocking news. not good at all.
Not a UK anymore but rather devided K if you look at Scotland and Northern Ireland.
also right wing is crawling out of the woodwork in many countries.
welcome back to medieval times when every county had their own set of rules and taxes. who's next?

arrrgh!

Date: June 24, 2016 11:39

That's right, Taylor. The Eastern European countries are the sole beneficiaries of the EU project. The Eastern European countries would certainly regress without the EU fonds.
But the former Sowiet satellite states don't seem to grasp that concept. Instead they are regressing to ultra nationalism. Which, of course, doesn't bode well.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 24, 2016 11:39

Bastion
Absolutely shocking.

This is the generation of the old and dying, who will have to live with this decision for only 16 years, saying **** you to my generation, who will endure it for 69 years.

Some might say your generation has been living in a world of dreams and the (not-so-easily-fooled) older generation has decided it's time to wake up...

The UE is the USSR : it doesn't work but when the common person is in doubt there's always someone at the top going on TV to tell you "hey in 10 years it WILL work! Be patient!"

Date: June 24, 2016 12:01

Stoneage
That's right, Taylor. The Eastern European countries are the sole beneficiaries of the EU project. The Eastern European countries would certainly regress without the EU fonds.
But the former Sowiet satellite states don't seem to grasp that concept. Instead they are regressing to ultra nationalism. Which, of course, doesn't bode well.
That's true. Previous European leaders idea of solidarity within Europe and avoiding new devastating conflicts in Europe - no more wars.

Sharing the wealth, reducing poverty, building up regions was / is the best way to avoid future conflicts. Unequal wealth distribution quite often leads to conflicts.

Sorry if former Soviet satellite states don't grasp the concept. It is probably because the leaders don't want progress. Progress would be a threat to their leadership. Then rather keep the state isolated and poor.

EU is not perfect, but a good enough system to deal with Europe's challenges. A system that needs to be monitored and further developed, sure.

People quite often tend to forget their own countries bureaucracies. Name a country that doesn't have a big inefficient public system. Then it is always easier to blame the big evil (EU) for all daily problems inclusive war in Syria, poverty and corruption in Africa etc.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 24, 2016 12:04

Bastion
Absolutely shocking.

It's a completely backward step. You only have to read the comments on the Daily Mail's site to see that many of my fellow countrymen can't distinguish between a European dictatorship under @#$%& or Napoleon and a prosperous united Europe that promotes social justice and economic growth. At least the vote had a high turnout and has been made democratically.

Date: June 24, 2016 12:14

After 50 years of travelling around the world is astounding that Jagger is nationalist and declared in favour of brexit.

Le Pen, Putin, Maduro, Fidel Castro are happy with the results...

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 24, 2016 12:18

I am an American and am very glad to see England vote BREXIT! No one wants to be dominated by overpaid EU bureaucrats sitting in Brussels. The European Union should have only been for easier trade and commerce among Europe's nations. Not to form some bizarre political monster. Angela Merkel did what she wanted anyhow (negated EU laws) last summer by opening up borders and thought she could force this onto other nations. WRONG!

Roger Daltry came out strongly for Brexit and Mick Jagger less so after hedging and equivocating.

Roger Daltrey BACKS Brexit: The Who legend slams 'f****** useless' Brussels bureaucrats
[www.express.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-24 12:19 by triceratops.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 24, 2016 12:33

triceratops
I am an American and am very glad to see England vote BREXIT! No one wants to be dominated by overpaid EU bureaucrats sitting in Brussels. The European Union should have only been for easier trade and commerce among Europe's nations. Not to form some bizarre political monster. Angela Merkel did what she wanted anyhow (negated EU laws) last summer by opening up borders and thought she could force this onto other nations. WRONG!

Roger Daltry came out strongly for Brexit and Mick Jagger less so after hedging and equivocating.

Roger Daltrey BACKS Brexit: The Who legend slams 'f****** useless' Brussels bureaucrats
[www.express.co.uk]

thumbs up

Once again the Brits showed to all the others what democracy is all about.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: June 24, 2016 12:36

triceratops
I am an American and am very glad to see England vote BREXIT!

Well as an American you have the luxury of not dealing with the your currency being decimated or having a mass exit of Business's resulting in an increase in unemployment... must be nice

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: June 24, 2016 12:41

triceratops
Are you sure you are american but not a 'daughter of a Soviet officer'? Your post sounds kind of direct translation from Russian political forums. They are very happy there too.

Date: June 24, 2016 12:55

Wild Slivovitz
triceratops

[www.express.co.uk]

thumbs up

UK has a Monarchy - Democratic Institution?
UK has a "House of the Lords" - Democratic Institution?
UK has a parliamentary system based on simple plurality, where a party, for example, with 36.9% of the total votes can get the majority of the members in the parliament (this is the case of 2015 election) - Democratic concept?

I think we can say NO to all of it.

At least the members in the European Parliament are democratically chosen.

EU has a constitution, where a country democratically can vote and leave if they want (trigger paragraph 50). I don't think that was possible in Soviet Union. Don't know if it is possible in USA either.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: June 24, 2016 12:57

triceratops

Well, as an American, perhaps you should be aware that it was the UK - not just England - which was voting in the referendum although, to be fair, Scotland and Northern Ireland did vote to remain, but Wales didn't. There will now be discussion of a second Independence referendum in Scotland on the back of this result which was driven in the media by racism and xenophobia.

Date: June 24, 2016 13:27

"At least the members in the European Parliament are democratically chosen."
That´s really joke. They are absolutely out of reality, out of control, no responsibility. Thousands Euros for nothing. Worse than every parliaments in communist countries years ago...

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 24, 2016 13:29

mtaylor
Wild Slivovitz
triceratops

[www.express.co.uk]

thumbs up

UK has a Monarchy - Democratic Institution?
UK has a "House of the Lords" - Democratic Institution?
UK has a parliamentary system based on simple plurality, where a party, for example, with 36.9% of the total votes can get the majority of the members in the parliament (this is the case of 2015 election) - Democratic concept?

I think we can say NO to all of it.

At least the members in the European Parliament are democratically chosen.

EU has a constitution, where a country democratically can vote and leave if they want (trigger paragraph 50). I don't think that was possible in Soviet Union. Don't know if it is possible in USA either.

Just for the record I'm not American, I'm Italian, and I do know how the institutions of the Eu work. However, I won't open a discussion on it on a Rolling Stones forum, I just wanted to express my congratulations to the Brits. Sorry for the OT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-24 13:36 by Wild Slivovitz.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1229
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home