Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 13
Re: Emotional Rescue Released This Day in 1980
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 21, 2016 16:58

JimmyTheSaint
Down in the Hole.

One of my faves.
jeroen

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 21, 2016 16:58

I wonder what a release date means when looking at what date the album hit the stores. ER was the first album I couldn't wait to be released and the most exciting album release ever for me. I never paid attention to the Stones until Some Girls and then i started listening to all their stuff.

So I was really excited when ER came out. First new music I ever waited for. I remember calling a record store one day to check to see if it was in and they said they just got it in a couple of hours ago. I drove right over and got it.

The reason I asked about what release date means is the day I bought ER was not 6/20/80 because I know that night I went to the Duran/Leonard boxing match in a closed circuit theater.

Date: June 21, 2016 16:59

Munichhilton
Great release with great outtakes. A deluxe would make me emotional
smileys with beersmileys with beer
jeroen

Date: June 21, 2016 17:04

Hope they will put a Deluxe version on the market. jah is not dead is one of the Great songs.
jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-21 18:24 by corriecas.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 21, 2016 18:09

Spring and summer 1980 ? smoking smiley (sorry)

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Ale67 ()
Date: June 21, 2016 18:11

DandelionPowderman
<except for the sound, pretty awful>

The sound on ER is better than that of SG, imo - way better. Gone are the too trebly drums and guitars. ER has a punchy, bass-heavy sound that rocks. The clarity is also lightyears better. You can hear every overdub clearly, as well as it fits the mix.

Yes, maybe you're right; too much trebles on SG. Maybe my ears have short memory... let's play it again! smileys with beer

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 21, 2016 18:21

Nowhere in the same league as their best albums, but all around it's better then anything released since then (except for Tattoo You) imo.
After the anticipation and excitement of buying a brand new Stones album, I remember the major let down when hearing the title track as the fist single.
Several of the other tunes redeemed the album, but the first impression was mediocre at best.

Date: June 21, 2016 19:07

Hairball
Nowhere in the same league as their best albums, but all around it's better then anything released since then (except for Tattoo You) imo.
After the anticipation and excitement of buying a brand new Stones album, I remember the major let down when hearing the title track as the fist single.
Several of the other tunes redeemed the album, but the first impression was mediocre at best.

I loved the title track when i heard it.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 21, 2016 19:13

Where's Charlie in those release party pics, did he not attend?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-21 19:13 by Koen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 21, 2016 19:27

stanlove
Hairball

Good for you.
To use one of your oft-repeated quotes: "You and I would not get along..."
(but that already goes without saying).

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: June 21, 2016 19:27

Freddie is in one of the photos

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 21, 2016 19:32

Hard to believe that Keith is only thirty-six in these photographs. He looks marvellous now, in comparison.

Emotional Rescue was a poor follow-up to it's predecessor, Some Girls. However, Let Me Go is a decent-enough rocker, whilst Keith's vocal-turn, All About You, is really rather good.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 21, 2016 19:54

Definitely the most exciting release for me! I was a fan for possibly not even a year yet when it came out. Some Girls was my first but that was already out for some time. I am almost sure I had all the older albums by the time Emotional Rescue was released. But it was the first 'new' Stones album I ever experienced.

My instant favorite was She's So Cold, but I liked all the songs right away. It could never match Some Girls, however, which to me has significantly better songs throughout.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: June 21, 2016 19:58

Bought it the day it came out and listened to it non stop till Christmas.

Part of the Stones second great trilogy.

The anthem of 1980.

Loved EVERY song on the album and still do.

It my opinion that people that don't like this album have no clue as to what rock and roll is about.

If this new album that they are supposed to be releasing is anywhere near as good a Emotional Rescue I think every true Stones fan in the world would go through the roof, and Emotional Rescue is not even among the top 3 Stones albums, however it is amongst the top 6.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-21 20:03 by Chacho.

Date: June 21, 2016 20:43

Hairball
stanlove
Hairball

Good for you.
To use one of your oft-repeated quotes: "You and I would not get along..."
(but that already goes without saying).

eye rolling smiley

? This over whether one likes a song or not? Calm down

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 21, 2016 20:52

this is a really good record.i listened to it nonstop that summer and it was a huge hit,the single went number one and the so did the album for a few weeks.

to have done some girls,emotional rescue and tattoo you in that short span,78 80 and 81 was an amazing feat for a band that had such a huge history.nobody had done that almost 20 years into their career and it cemented them as the top rock and roll band of all time.
that led into the 81 tour which was a victory lap,the biggest tour done by anyone ever at that point.81 was so huge that it's average per concert attendance record wasn't broken until the U2 360 tour a couple of years ago.

emotional rescue was a band playing together on 10 songs that worked together,to think they could do that now is not being realistic.they don't even have a bass player just a session player who fills in on the live shows.

this period from 78-81 really did mark the last gasp of the actual functioning playing live and recording rolling stones,it was a great run.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: June 21, 2016 21:08

yes the same for me

I expected this album so much that when it came out I really liked it especially Emotional Rescue and She's So Cold !

It was in 1980, I remember I was in Isola d'Elba and had lots of fun. Unfortunately, I didn't find any Stones fans except my younger brother.

Date: June 21, 2016 21:40

lem motlow
this is a really good record.i listened to it nonstop that summer and it was a huge hit,the single went number one and the so did the album for a few weeks.

to have done some girls,emotional rescue and tattoo you in that short span,78 80 and 81 was an amazing feat for a band that had such a huge history.nobody had done that almost 20 years into their career and it cemented them as the top rock and roll band of all time.
that led into the 81 tour which was a victory lap,the biggest tour done by anyone ever at that point.81 was so huge that it's average per concert attendance record wasn't broken until the U2 360 tour a couple of years ago.

emotional rescue was a band playing together on 10 songs that worked together,to think they could do that now is not being realistic.they don't even have a bass player just a session player who fills in on the live shows.

this period from 78-81 really did mark the last gasp of the actual functioning playing live and recording rolling stones,it was a great run.

I remember when TY came out a rock critic said this is their last great album. I would have never of guess he was correct. Wonder how he came to that conclusion

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: June 21, 2016 22:59

Bad album.
Mediocre songwriting.
Charlie's nadir as a drummer.

Date: June 22, 2016 00:09

Ale67
DandelionPowderman
<except for the sound, pretty awful>

The sound on ER is better than that of SG, imo - way better. Gone are the too trebly drums and guitars. ER has a punchy, bass-heavy sound that rocks. The clarity is also lightyears better. You can hear every overdub clearly, as well as it fits the mix.

Yes, maybe you're right; too much trebles on SG. Maybe my ears have short memory... let's play it again! smileys with beer

smileys with beer

Date: June 22, 2016 00:13

lem motlow

So true thumbs up

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 22, 2016 01:07

DandelionPowderman
lem motlow

So true thumbs up

True indeed. Though they still tour and play pretty well, I've always thought that the 1981-82 Tour was the last tour that really mattered; the last tour where they still had vital new material to debut and they played without being afraid to take chances. Sure, although they continued to tour behind occasional new albums up to A Bigger Bang, every tour from 1989 on was a Greatest Hits Tour; enjoyable, sometimes better than people could expect but still more of a Stones Revue than the work of a still-functioning band. Lem's point about having a session player fill in on bass is very valid. It made a huge difference when Bill Wyman was part of a creative ensemble that was making new music. D. Jones is a great player but when a band doesn't even consider the bass player worthy of official status, it makes a difference. Back to the theme of this thread, I felt the couple of tunes from ER they did in 1981-82 were indeed highlights of the tour. A great era indeed. I feel privileged to have seen the Stones in 1978 and 1981 when they still had Wyman and Stu in the band and vital new music to premier onstage. Those were great times!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 22, 2016 02:08

Blueranger
Bad album.
Mediocre songwriting.

Fair summary, but at least it sounds sssssooooo good, according to Dandyman! Thing is, I'm more into good songs than a good sound. "Little indian girl, where is your mama?" (or was it "papa"? Regardless, it would not really lift this song out of the mud). Brrrrr, shudder! But for some here who try to rewrite Stones history a sheer Stones classic tune obviously. No thanks!

Granted, Rescue has some good and even great tunes. But the crap ones are not just "not great" or "not good", they are just that: CRAP. Unbearable crap.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 22, 2016 02:22

It contains one of the Stones best songs...............with the best outro and the baddest end........Man!!!! this song should have last for 4 minutes longer....they just faded out the song

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: kishorcsog ()
Date: June 22, 2016 02:44

My father had a cassette with one side Beggars Banquet, the other side Emotional Rescue, I knew the 60's songs with Rolled Gold and Hot Rocks, but this cassette made me a real fan, I couldn't believe a band can make so different great music in about 10 years, I loved Beggars but I was always eager to listen to Emotional too and I couldn't decide which i loved more.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 22, 2016 04:32

Blueranger
Bad album.
Mediocre songwriting.
Don't forget, horrible poster

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: June 22, 2016 05:00

Fun little summer album. A disappointment when it came out, but has grown on me as kind of a minor work. At least they redeemed themselves a little over a year later with Tattoo You.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: June 22, 2016 05:35

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 22, 2016 05:49

'Down In The Hole' if I'm getting drunk (which I don't) in the cups misery.
Do you feel it?
And to dance, 'Emotional Rescue'
Is there nothin' I can say, nothin' I can do?
To change your mind, I'm so in love with you.
You're too deep baby, ya can't get out,
just a poor girl livin' in a rich man's house.

Wait, wait, from the maestro himself live Chicago 2013: (bring it back!)
[youtu.be]

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 22, 2016 05:57

Oh now look-e here, total different shot/ view of EM live Chicago 2013
because Yes, it's that good twice in a row:
[youtu.be]

ETA: whew, Ahhh, front rows? What's up? Where's the love? Tepid clapping?
I'd have my arms in the air screaming! C'mon man! Encourage him!
The young dude in the bright orange sweatshirt with passcode necklace?
He can dance, he's into it.

Edit last: ohh Chicago, that's bad *shakes head* I don't know if you should get another show.
Zipcode wasn't like this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-22 06:13 by 35love.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1871
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home