Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 12 of 13
Re: Emotional Rescue Released This Day in 1980
Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 31, 2016 20:36

GasLight, that list doesn't make your point.
If the Stones recorded BS in 1969 and released it on their *next* album, (which was delayed by legal stuff) it hardly qualifies as dipping into the archives..
And some of the songs held over for ER were done so because they had so many good songs cuts for SG.
And other songs were started but not quite finished so they held them for the next album.
But by TY they didn't have enough new or recent stuff -- and they were not able to get into the studio to record -- so they went into the archives.
I wouldn't use the work 'fake', and clearly this is of interest only to serious Stones fans.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 31, 2016 20:39

This only to express that your post at 19:28, GLS, was a most inspiring read!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 1, 2016 18:38

HMS
Let´s not be too rigorous.
I´ve always said using two years old songs is tolerable. Three years is already critical but maybe still tolerable.

Using a four years old song as a b-side of their latest single without telling the date of it´s recording is not tolerable. There has to be a note "xxx was recorded in 19xx".

But it´s totally unacceptable to use almost ten years old recordings to create a new album. Absolutely intolerable. The result would not represent the band at it´s actual state. Everybody should dig that.

You have been relieved of your impersonating a Rolling Stones fan duties.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 1, 2016 22:15

Being a Stones-fan is not duty - it´s pleasure (most of the time)smoking smiley

Next year I have 35th-Stones-fan-anniversary and they´re going to reward me with a new album, who could ask for anything more.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 2, 2016 13:19

HMS
Being a Stones-fan is not duty - it´s pleasure (most of the time)smoking smiley

Next year I have 35th-Stones-fan-anniversary and they´re going to reward me with a new album, who could ask for anything more.
and i will win a Grammy for my guitar noodling at home (it will look pretty cool sitting on my mantle with the other assorted Waterford knick knacks.)

Date: September 2, 2016 17:53

wonderboy
GasLight, that list doesn't make your point.
If the Stones recorded BS in 1969 and released it on their *next* album, (which was delayed by legal stuff) it hardly qualifies as dipping into the archives..
And some of the songs held over for ER were done so because they had so many good songs cuts for SG.
And other songs were started but not quite finished so they held them for the next album.
But by TY they didn't have enough new or recent stuff -- and they were not able to get into the studio to record -- so they went into the archives.
I wouldn't use the work 'fake', and clearly this is of interest only to serious Stones fans.

Since you missed it, here it is again:

HMS logic.

Date: September 2, 2016 20:20

Witness
This only to express that your post at 19:28, GLS, was a most inspiring read!

Ha ha. Well, HMS said "over 2 years is not good enough" so that's what I showed, songs that were over 2 years old. But, you know, ignorance is bliss.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 13, 2017 18:31

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 14, 2017 07:10

Date: December 14, 2017 13:36

I will always say it was such a missed opportunity for us fans that we were denied a proper tour for this most awesome album which has only one clunker IMHO (Indian Girl) .We did get a few songs on the 81 tour but gosh darnit .

Date: December 14, 2017 13:50

TheGreek
I will always say it was such a missed opportunity for us fans that we were denied a proper tour for this most awesome album which has only one clunker IMHO (Indian Girl) .We did get a few songs on the 81 tour but gosh darnit .

+1

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: December 14, 2017 18:55

Some tracks were good as album it falls flat on the face,after great SOME GIRLS and they had so many tracks which are great and unrealesed. SHATTERED.HEHEHEHE.

Date: December 15, 2017 10:39

kish_stoned
Some tracks were good as album it falls flat on the face,after great SOME GIRLS and they had so many tracks which are great and unrealesed. SHATTERED.HEHEHEHE.

Only for the hearing impared..

Date: December 15, 2017 13:19

DandelionPowderman
kish_stoned

So well said and I treasure the sentiment .Bravo DPsmiling smiley

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 15, 2017 16:03

TheGreek
DandelionPowderman
kish_stoned

You know that you and DP are in the minority, yes? However, that does not devalue your opinion.

"Falling flat on the face" is a bit harsh, but it was a bit of a disappointing album imo, losing a bit of the tremendous steam they regained with Some Girls. The playing is great throughout, but the songs...not always.

Date: December 15, 2017 16:16

retired_dog
TheGreek
DandelionPowderman
kish_stoned

You know that you and DP are in the minority, yes? However, that does not devalue your opinion.

"Falling flat on the face" is a bit harsh, but it was a bit of a disappointing album imo, losing a bit of the tremendous steam they regained with Some Girls. The playing is great throughout, but the songs...not always.

The album still exists, and for some of us it has grown on us.

I don't regard it as weaker than Some Girls. I find the songs just as good, and the production and sound is superior, imo.

But we've talked about this before smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-16 11:55 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: December 15, 2017 16:23

HAHAHAHA i will listen to WHERE THE BOYS GO,DOWN THE HOLE,geat blues track could be of the B&L.

Date: December 15, 2017 16:24

kish_stoned
HAHAHAHA i will listen to WHERE THE BOYS GO,DOWN THE HOLE,geat blues track could be of the B&L.

That's more like it! smileys with beer

Date: December 15, 2017 17:16

The thing that I think happens is that people forget that the songs that were part of Emotional Rescue album are from the same fertile late 70's era ,the same as the songs from Some Girls album .Some could argue that the Glimmers (more probably Mick) choose the best ones out of the batch for Some Girls and then crafted (Masterpiece in my book as in part 2 to part 1 which is Some Girls) This was a blast of songwriting genius and perfection from the late 70's when all the critics had declared them extinct like the dinosaurs that once roamed the earth .This was truly the last excellence in songwriting from the Glimmers before their apocalyptic warfare erupted and the Glimmers minds were still firing in unison and crafting their music in the original manner the same as when Andrew Loog Oldham made them sit together in that apartment kitchen so long ago in London . These songs from both Some Girls and Emotional Rescue are some of their best work and truly reflected the turbulent late 70's including all of the club/disco and punk movement and the Glimmers expertly took all of these different influences and spun them out in their own unique Stones style and truly made masterpieces .The ears do not lie smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-15 17:16 by TheGreek.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 15, 2017 18:42

That was a very sad day. Terrible album

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 15, 2017 18:49

I remember: I was a little bit disappointed. The title track with the falsetto voice is terrible. Otherwise average with exception of Where the Boys Go and Let Me Go (this is a really classic rocker). Interesting, too, Down in the Hole.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-15 19:00 by RobertJohnson.

Date: December 15, 2017 21:08

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
TheGreek
DandelionPowderman
kish_stoned

The album still exists, and for some of us it has growed on us.

I don't regard it as weaker than Some Girls. I find the songs just as good, and the production and sound is superior, imo.

Did we? Yeah...of course! And we weren't able to convince each other. But that's ok! I'm in a generous mood because today, we have lots of fun in the Some Girls Fan Club...great drinks & other (green) stuff, some (nice) girls around, lotsa fun - isn't it tempting? Why don't you come over and join us because you're obviously in need for some Emotional Rescue?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 15, 2017 22:11

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
TheGreek
DandelionPowderman
kish_stoned

Did we? Yeah...of course! And we weren't able to convince each other. But that's ok! I'm in a generous mood because today, we have lots of fun in the Some Girls Fan Club...great drinks & other (green) stuff, some (nice) girls around, lotsa fun - isn't it tempting? Why don't you come over and join us because you're obviously in need for some Emotional Rescue?

I stand with the Emotional crowd turning it into a majority...right down to the horns in IG it shines throughout. The rumble of Keith’s Telecaster at the start of She’s So Cold surpasses even the fuzzy excitement of Satisfactions start off

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 16, 2017 05:48

Emotional Rescue, She's So Cold, All About You, Indian Girl - classics.
Dance, Where The Boys Go - good B level songs.
Let Me Go, Send It To Me - Throwaways
Down In The Hole - stiff, crappy studio cut. Might have worked better on stage, loosened up, like Dancing With Mr. D.

Not a great album. It was good the summer it came out.

Date: December 16, 2017 06:29

EMOTIONAL RESCUE is interesting considering what they chose to leave off, similar to SOME GIRLS, but also in how much they did post-SG sessions, of which a good bit was used for TATTOO YOU.

As far as the band recording:

All About You started in 1977 for SG.

Summer Romance was from the early 1978 SG sessions.

Where The Boys Go was from the summer 1978 post SG tour sessions.

Emotional Rescue, Think I'm Going Mad and She's So Cold from early 1979 sessions.

Mid 1979 are all the rest and the next time the band would record again was in late 1982.

Late 1979, overdubs, mixing and editing.

There's a ton of stuff leftover from the SG/ER sessions. Could ER have been better? Sure. But that's subjective, of course (SG could've been better too but it's easier to say ER could've been), just like VOODOO LOUNGE could've been a lot better based on hearing the leftovers.

For whatever reason, they ignore some really good ideas or outright songs and choose to go with the flavor of the month or, as we've witnessed, what was cool six months ago so let's do it now (BRIDGES). That's what happens when someone decides to follow a trend - it doesn't mean it will be good.

If you're a technology company that makes TVs, cell phones, various media, what the hell are you doing making washing machines, dryers and dish washers? That's what happened to the Stones starting with SOME GIRLS and oddly continues, although not completely, through A BIGGER BANG.

What's noted at [www.nzentgraf.de] may not be everything - and there's a lot there, and that is why it's easy to see that the 1977-1983 period could or can be considered their last gasp of inventive creativity and quality.

All of that aside, ER sounds incredible. It's one of their best sounding LPs.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 16, 2017 06:50

GasLightStreet
EMOTIONAL RESCUE is interesting considering what they chose to leave off, similar to SOME GIRLS, but also in how much they did post-SG sessions, of which a good bit was used for TATTOO YOU.

As far as the band recording:

All About You started in 1977 for SG.

Summer Romance was from the early 1978 SG sessions.

Where The Boys Go was from the summer 1978 post SG tour sessions.

Emotional Rescue, Think I'm Going Mad and She's So Cold from early 1979 sessions.

Mid 1979 are all the rest and the next time the band would record again was in late 1982.

Late 1979, overdubs, mixing and editing.

There's a ton of stuff leftover from the SG/ER sessions. Could ER have been better? Sure. But that's subjective, of course (SG could've been better too but it's easier to say ER could've been), just like VOODOO LOUNGE could've been a lot better based on hearing the leftovers.

For whatever reason, they ignore some really good ideas or outright songs and choose to go with the flavor of the month or, as we've witnessed, what was cool six months ago so let's do it now (BRIDGES). That's what happens when someone decides to follow a trend - it doesn't mean it will be good.

If you're a technology company that makes TVs, cell phones, various media, what the hell are you doing making washing machines, dryers and dish washers? That's what happened to the Stones starting with SOME GIRLS and oddly continues, although not completely, through A BIGGER BANG.

What's noted at [www.nzentgraf.de] may not be everything - and there's a lot there, and that is why it's easy to see that the 1977-1983 period could or can be considered their last gasp of inventive creativity and quality.

All of that aside, ER sounds incredible. It's one of their best sounding LPs.

It's not as simple as leaving good songs off a record. The bonus cuts from the Some Girls Deluxe release show that there were good songs left behind, but they didn't fit the sound and them of Some Girls. Claudine would have fit, but is really interchangeable, and a little better than, Lies.

Date: December 16, 2017 08:36

Munichhilton
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
TheGreek
DandelionPowderman
kish_stoned

I stand with the Emotional crowd turning it into a majority...right down to the horns in IG it shines throughout. The rumble of Keith’s Telecaster at the start of She’s So Cold surpasses even the fuzzy excitement of Satisfactions start off

Detecting something that "shines" in IG is what I call an aquired taste!

Date: December 16, 2017 11:58

retired_dog
Munichhilton
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
TheGreek
DandelionPowderman
kish_stoned

The bass is excellent! smiling smiley

Date: December 16, 2017 12:11

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
Munichhilton
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
TheGreek
DandelionPowderman
kish_stoned

Looks like Bill simply can't do wrong!

Date: December 16, 2017 14:43

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
Munichhilton
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
TheGreek
DandelionPowderman
kish_stoned

Looks like Bill simply can't do wrong!

I belive that's Keith on bass (even though some credits say otherwise).

The crazy stops give him away.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 12 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1269
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home