Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213
Current Page: 13 of 13
Re: Emotional Rescue Released This Day in 1980
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 16, 2017 15:52

Haven't spun it in a while, making a point to listen to this one today!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 16, 2017 16:50

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
Munichhilton
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
TheGreek
DandelionPowderman
kish_stoned
Some tracks were good as album it falls flat on the face,after great SOME GIRLS and they had so many tracks which are great and unrealesed. SHATTERED.HEHEHEHE.

Only for the hearing impared..
So well said and I treasure the sentiment .Bravo DPsmiling smiley

You know that you and DP are in the minority, yes? However, that does not devalue your opinion.

"Falling flat on the face" is a bit harsh, but it was a bit of a disappointing album imo, losing a bit of the tremendous steam they regained with Some Girls. The playing is great throughout, but the songs...not always.

The album still exists, and for some of us it has growed on us.

I don't regard it as weaker than Some Girls. I find the songs just as good, and the production and sound is superior, imo.

But we've talked about this before smiling smiley

Did we? Yeah...of course! And we weren't able to convince each other. But that's ok! I'm in a generous mood because today, we have lots of fun in the Some Girls Fan Club...great drinks & other (green) stuff, some (nice) girls around, lotsa fun - isn't it tempting? Why don't you come over and join us because you're obviously in need for some Emotional Rescue?

I stand with the Emotional crowd turning it into a majority...right down to the horns in IG it shines throughout. The rumble of Keith’s Telecaster at the start of She’s So Cold surpasses even the fuzzy excitement of Satisfactions start off

Detecting something that "shines" in IG is what I call an aquired taste!

The bass is excellent! smiling smiley

Looks like Bill simply can't do wrong!

I belive that's Keith on bass (even though some credits say otherwise).

The crazy stops give him away.

You’re just trying to make this All About You...

Date: December 16, 2017 17:46

Munichhilton
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
Munichhilton
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
TheGreek
DandelionPowderman
kish_stoned
Some tracks were good as album it falls flat on the face,after great SOME GIRLS and they had so many tracks which are great and unrealesed. SHATTERED.HEHEHEHE.

Only for the hearing impared..
So well said and I treasure the sentiment .Bravo DPsmiling smiley

You know that you and DP are in the minority, yes? However, that does not devalue your opinion.

"Falling flat on the face" is a bit harsh, but it was a bit of a disappointing album imo, losing a bit of the tremendous steam they regained with Some Girls. The playing is great throughout, but the songs...not always.

The album still exists, and for some of us it has growed on us.

I don't regard it as weaker than Some Girls. I find the songs just as good, and the production and sound is superior, imo.

But we've talked about this before smiling smiley

Did we? Yeah...of course! And we weren't able to convince each other. But that's ok! I'm in a generous mood because today, we have lots of fun in the Some Girls Fan Club...great drinks & other (green) stuff, some (nice) girls around, lotsa fun - isn't it tempting? Why don't you come over and join us because you're obviously in need for some Emotional Rescue?

I stand with the Emotional crowd turning it into a majority...right down to the horns in IG it shines throughout. The rumble of Keith’s Telecaster at the start of She’s So Cold surpasses even the fuzzy excitement of Satisfactions start off

Detecting something that "shines" in IG is what I call an aquired taste!

The bass is excellent! smiling smiley

Looks like Bill simply can't do wrong!

I belive that's Keith on bass (even though some credits say otherwise).

The crazy stops give him away.

You’re just trying to make this All About You...

Hey! Let me go!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: December 16, 2017 18:00

A bud that runs a picture framing shop put those cut-outs that were in the album sleeve in reversible frames. Pretty cool, get tired of looking at one snap, just flip the frame over.smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 16, 2017 18:58

24FPS
GasLightStreet
EMOTIONAL RESCUE is interesting considering what they chose to leave off, similar to SOME GIRLS, but also in how much they did post-SG sessions, of which a good bit was used for TATTOO YOU.

There's a ton of stuff leftover from the SG/ER sessions. Could ER have been better? Sure. But that's subjective, of course (SG could've been better too but it's easier to say ER could've been), just like VOODOO LOUNGE could've been a lot better based on hearing the leftovers.

For whatever reason, they ignore some really good ideas or outright songs and choose to go with the flavor of the month or, as we've witnessed, what was cool six months ago so let's do it now (BRIDGES). That's what happens when someone decides to follow a trend - it doesn't mean it will be good.

It's not as simple as leaving good songs off a record. The bonus cuts from the Some Girls Deluxe release show that there were good songs left behind, but they didn't fit the sound and them of Some Girls. Claudine would have fit, but is really interchangeable, and a little better than, Lies.

As funny as Faraway Eyes is, Do You Think I Really Care would've been better, considering it's a NYC country song. Claudine stinks. Lies is excellent. I still can't stand Imagination. The easily could've put something else on.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 17, 2017 23:21

Annie Leibovitz

Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, Mick Jagger with Beard, Ron Woods and Bill Wyman , 1980

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 18, 2017 02:03

I remember that. Mick tried to pull off one helluva stunt there, pretending to be the new drummer (bearded Mick). Guess he expected to get paid twice. Maybe thats what the fight was about in 1980.

Date: December 18, 2017 02:52

Annie Leibovitz

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: December 18, 2017 02:54

Love the title track, jagger voice changes as the song goes by and B.keys plays great too.R.I.P

Date: December 18, 2017 03:14

Mick Jagger, New York City, 1980 by Annie Leibovitz

Date: December 18, 2017 03:18

Date: December 18, 2017 20:44

I always found this funny - it's not for anything. It's obviously from 1980 but it's not promoting anything!

Date: December 18, 2017 21:33

Consider that these tracks that went on TATTOO YOU were recorded for EMOTIONAL RESCUE and how different ER could've been if these were done and used:

Little T&A
Heaven
Neighbours
No Use In Crying

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 19, 2017 00:07

GasLightStreet
Consider that these tracks that went on TATTOO YOU were recorded for EMOTIONAL RESCUE and how different ER could've been if these were done and used:

Little T&A
Heaven
Neighbours
No Use In Crying

That would be great, but we'd have to subtract from the official ER tracklis.
My candidates for deletion are:

-Title track (and they can change the album title while they're at it)
-Send it To Me
-Indian Girl

And I'd keep Where The Boys Go, and save Neighbors for Tattoo You.

Now imagine Tattoo You without the songs you listed...it would suffer no doubt as all of those are keepers.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 19, 2017 01:08

GasLightStreet

Little T&A
Heaven
Neighbours
No Use In Crying

I, maybe in a minority of only one person, would not have wanted as much as one of the quoted songs to replace any song on EMOTIONAL RESCUE. To me, sound judgement from the band. As it is, a wonderful album.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 19, 2017 04:00

‘Emotional Rescue’ original phrase to be coined, it’s Remarkable. ‘10

‘Emotional Rescue’ song. Lyrics, execution, harsh slap in the face from Charlie, REMARKABLE. ‘10

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 19, 2017 04:32

The last 45-60 seconds of ‘Emotional Rescue’ recorded song
has the same otherworldly pure bliss transporative funky sax bass
Rolling Stone mystical magic jam.
Don’t believe me? Go listen again to the studio recorded track.
And, THIS was my first hit of RS crack in 1980, in a basement room, someone's parents bought the new record we got a hold of it. LOUD.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 19, 2017 10:24

Wasn't it going to be called More Fast Numbers?

As in, the Stones thought of it as Some Girls II???

Me? I bought it and thought, gee that cover seems so 'cold' and 'disassociated' - is that a word? - it just seemed, and seems, contrived and calculated and EMOTIONless, not emotional at all.

Played it and thought it was so much of a let down. Still do, I only like a couple of tracks, one being the universally panned Indian Girl which I thought at least pushed the boundary a bit. The actual fast numbers like Summer Romance and Where the Boys Go sounded too much alike for me, hate Jagger's singing and phrasing on them. The title track too poppy, the Send it Me reggae song just bland. Down in the Hole worked ok. Dance Pt I....awful. Thank goodness for She's so Cold - a Stones classic.

The FIRST Stones album I though of as patchy and disposable. Apart from Satanic, which isn't patchy, it's just disposable...

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-19 10:26 by bitusa2012.

Date: December 19, 2017 10:39

bitusa2012
Wasn't it going to be called More Fast Numbers?

As in, the Stones thought of it as Some Girls II???

Me? I bought it and thought, gee that cover seems so 'cold' and 'disassociated' - is that a word? - it just seemed, and seems, contrived and calculated and EMOTIONless, not emotional at all.

Played it and thought it was so much of a let down. Still do, I only like a couple of tracks, one being the universally panned Indian Girl which I thought at least pushed the boundary a bit. The actual fast numbers like Summer Romance and Where the Boys Go sounded too much alike for me, hate Jagger's singing and phrasing on them. The title track too poppy, the Send it Me reggae song just bland. Down in the Hole worked ok. Dance Pt I....awful. Thank goodness for She's so Cold - a Stones classic.

The FIRST Stones album I though of as patchy and disposable. Apart from Satanic, which isn't patchy, it's just disposable...

That was the working title for Some Girls.

Here are earlier threads about working titles, btw.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-19 10:57 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 19, 2017 17:04

Your Going to get it straight from the shoulder can't you SEE the party's over

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 20, 2017 13:33

Please let me go, let me go. New York become a Playboy hang around the G@# bars and move to the West side of town .Now for some guitar interlude from Keef and Woody pleasesmiling smiley

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: December 20, 2017 17:42

I have always liked this album and think it was very well mixed. Indian Girl is a nice political statement, but the song not so much to my liking. outtakes from this record are really good imo with some extended jams. The vinyl release in particular sounds really good to my ears.

Underrated in the catalogue.

Date: December 20, 2017 18:22

The unedited version of Emotional Rescue is fantastic.

[www.youtube.com]

Who do you think came up with the idea to use a straw as an instrument?

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 21, 2017 01:24

It’s such a good track. I think if Mick had dropped the falsetto like he did with Beast of Burden it would be a near classic. Strange album, I suppose because of the disconnect between MJ and KR. A few choice tracks and more misses than they had ever put on record since they’d begun writing their own songs.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: December 23, 2017 20:38

Anyone who thinks this is anywhere close to SG has taken wayyyy to much bad acid

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 23, 2017 20:54

Ugh -- those boots. One of the only times Keith didn't look cool.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213
Current Page: 13 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1539
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home