Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 13
Re: Emotional Rescue Released This Day in 1980
Date: July 8, 2016 18:20

alimente
DandelionPowderman
I can listen to that pumping Mesa Boogie-rhythm from Keith on Had It With You all day (but I know lots of people on here don't like it) smiling smiley

Absolutely. Had It With You is Stones at their best. But let's talk again about expectations: I bought the single Harlem Shuffle/Had It With You first. And thought: "Jeeeez, it's gonna be the hell of an album. Stones are obviously back to their blues/soul/rock 'n roll roots.They sound sharp again. Vigouros. Even dangerous. Jagger's sneering again." Excitement all over the place! Then the album arrived and... (to be continued if you want).

I had the same sky-high expectations after buying the single. The real disappointment first hit me when Hold Back came on, the first time I listened to DW, though.

Date: July 8, 2016 18:26

GasLightStreet
Alright, Matxil, I'll take your comparison thing by track sequencing and do my own...

SOME GIRLS has always bugged me, mainly because of it's sound and two tracks: Imagination and Respectable. They left off a number of much better songs. Aside from that, SG is an album with attitude, something they hadn't had since The Big Four. There was something going on in the mid-late 1970s that made SG a timeless album.

EMOTIONAL RESCUE is just a goofy album. It doesn't have an attitude. Solely recorded in 1979, the wave of nose tossing was over. If they'd included songs they held over for TATTOO YOU, Neighbours, Heaven, Little T&A and No Use In Crying on it, had they finished them, and removed Indian Girl, Let Me Go and Send It To Me, the album would've improved immensely.

SOME GIRLS vs EMOTIONAL RESCUE

1. "Miss You" vs "Dance" 0 - 1
Obviously Miss You is entrenched in the Stones' legacy for their biggest of singles but I like Dance better.

2. "When The Whip Comes Down" vs "Summer Romance" 0 - 2
Whip is a cool tune, it's a bit of a monster, and the live version on SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES kicks ass. But Summer Romance has a snarl to it with some speed and it's a bit shorter and gets right to it.

3. "Imagination" vs "Send It To Me" 1 - 2
Uhhh. Motown nod gets it. Only because it's Motown.

4. "Some Girls" vs "Let Me Go" 2 - 2
The title track sneers. Great tune.

5. "Lies" vs "Indian Girl" 3 - 2
Lies kicks ass. I have a soft spot for Indian Girl because of the horns, and musically it's a sweet song, but Lies is excellent and one of the best songs on SOME GIRLS - and considering the two fast ones on EMOTIONAL RESCUE, perhaps it would've been better on ER than SG. But it's got attitude, something ER doesn't have, so it indeed fits on SG.

6. "Far Away Eyes" vs "Where The Boys Go" 4 - 2
As goofy as Where The Boys Go is, and I do love it because it's a good tosser, you don't hear chicks singing along to Where The Boys Go...

7. "Respectable" vs "Down In The Hole" 4 - 3
Down In The Hole is miles above Respectable, a Stones-cover-Chuck-Berry-while-sleeping-and-forgetting-about-touch. Even Chuck Berry would've said Respectable is crap. It's too straight forward. Even though it fits SG and works, Down In The Hole blows it away.

8. "Before They Make Me Run" vs "Emotional Rescue" 4 - 4
Keith's song is pretty good even though it shares the same bridge as Shattered but Emotional Rescue is king.

9. "Beast Of Burden" vs "She's So Cold" 5 - 5
Both have pure greatness for guitar work. BOB is genius. So is SSC. Both feature some really great guitar lines working across each other. SSC is excellent Charlie Watts, his new style at its top here with crisp, smart playing (not too many fills). Gotta give both songs a count.

10. "Shattered" vs "All About You" 6 - 6
I love All About You... it's excellent. It's sweet, it's a great arrangement, the vocals are done wonderfully, the guitar is at ease, the horns give it a soft touch of a big band ala Sinatra and the lyrics are brutal. Shattered is one of those Stones tunes that, like Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker), Jumpin' Jack Flash, Street Fighting Man, Brown Sugar, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Rocks Off and Tumbling Dice, when you hear it you KNOW it's the Stones. The lyrics are fantastic. Gotta give both songs a count.

So in that sense, one would think the LPs are even. But as stated, ER lacks attitude, something that makes SG stand out. Even though ER is their longest running #1 LP of all time, facts are 8 million plus people identified with SG more. And in the legacy of the Stones' discography amongst music fans that like a little bit of everything, there are only two latter day era LPs that people know - SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU. That will never change.

This is why I love this board!

Just great (and I knew that a lot of IORRers had a soft spot for the songs on ER smiling smiley )

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 8, 2016 18:30

I do tend to listen to ER more than SG when I listen to Stones albums.

I never listen to DW. I hardly ever listen to SW. As far as the time line goes I jump from U to BTB...

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 8, 2016 18:31

Instead of the battle "Song 1 vs Song 1" and "Song 2 vs Song 2" we should do "rocker vs rocker" "ballad vs ballad" "disco song vs disco song" and so on.

Just like this:

Miss You vs Emotional Rescue:
Miss You - 3
Emotional Rescue - 4.5

Faraway Eyes vs Indian Girl
Faraway Eyes - 0
Indian Girl - 0

Beast Of Burden vs All About You
Beast Of Burden 5
All About You 5

Anyway, the "battles" above were very interesting to read.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 8, 2016 20:34

Dance or emotional rescue kills or destroys miss you every time with the exception of the chart postion .before they make me run or all about you is a dead heat .respectable or summer romance dead heat .

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 8, 2016 20:56

TheGreek
Dance or emotional rescue kills or destroys miss you every time with the exception of the chart postion .before they make me run or all about you is a dead heat .respectable or summer romance dead heat .

Miss You (the long 12" version in particular) is Disco meets Blues (the guitars, the harp) and as such, genius and original. Dance is the attempt to turn a funky riff into a song, not bad, but Slave worked better in this respect. Dance was and always will be Miss You's little sister, still nice, but not as sexy. Emotional Rescue (the song) is too much Disco for my taste, not bad, but a case of going too far in a direction that's more Saturday Night Fever than Stones music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-08 20:57 by alimente.

Date: July 8, 2016 21:01

Certainly Emotional Rescue is the only song in the history of rock that features a straw as an instrument.

Date: July 8, 2016 21:14

alimente
TheGreek

Miss You (the long 12" version in particular) is Disco meets Blues (the guitars, the harp) and as such, genius and original. Dance is the attempt to turn a funky riff into a song, not bad, but Slave worked better in this respect. Dance was and always will be Miss You's little sister, still nice, but not as sexy. Emotional Rescue (the song) is too much Disco for my taste, not bad, but a case of going too far in a direction that's more Saturday Night Fever than Stones music.
I wish they would have done Slave live ,this song would have been a show stopper with Bobby's sax and some killer fills from Ronnie and Keith weaving there magic .Slave beats all of the above mentioned songs ,that was(slave) from Tattoo you.It's orgins are from earlier sessions maybe Amsterdam ?

Date: July 8, 2016 21:36

TheGreek
alimente
TheGreek

I wish they would have done Slave live ,this song would have been a show stopper with Bobby's sax and some killer fills from Ronnie and Keith weaving there magic .Slave beats all of the above mentioned songs ,that was(slave) from Tattoo you.It's orgins are from earlier sessions maybe Amsterdam ?

Yes, absolutely, Slave live could have been killer. The should have tried it out in club shows during the Licks tour. It's origins are indeed from earlier sessions, Black And Blue (Rotterdam) in this case.

Hot Stuff and Hey Negrita from Black And Blue are other attempts of turning funky riffs into songs, in both cases more convincing than in the case of Dance, IMO.

While I'm at it: Mick's pronouncation of "Let Meeeeeeee Go" goes on my nerves and makes the studio version unlistenable for me, live it was so much better.

While Mick rarely failed as a singer, there are other cases where he destroys certain songs: Following The River for example, which is quite a nice ballad with a touching atmosphere, but Mick is simply overdoing it and turns it into something unlistenable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-08 21:37 by alimente.

Date: July 8, 2016 21:42

alimente
TheGreek

ER is MT'S little sister. Dance is really too different musically for the comparison, imo.

Date: July 8, 2016 21:44

alimente
TheGreek
alimente
TheGreek

Yes, absolutely, Slave live could have been killer. The should have tried it out in club shows during the Licks tour. It's origins are indeed from earlier sessions, Black And Blue (Rotterdam) in this case.

Hot Stuff and Hey Negrita from Black And Blue are other attempts of turning funky riffs into songs, in both cases more convincing than in the case of Dance, IMO.

While I'm at it: Mick's pronouncation of "Let Meeeeeeee Go" goes on my nerves and makes the studio version unlistenable for me, live it was so much better.

While Mick rarely failed as a singer, there are other cases where he destroys certain songs: Following The River for example, which is quite a nice ballad with a touching atmosphere, but Mick is simply overdoing it and turns it into something unlistenable.

They tried Slave out before the Licks tour, and it didn't sound good, judging by the rehearsal clip in Four Flicks..

Date: July 8, 2016 21:54

DandelionPowderman
alimente
TheGreek
alimente
TheGreek

They tried Slave out before the Licks tour, and it didn't sound good, judging by the rehearsal clip in Four Flicks..
i do remember it from four flicks , to bad if they (Mick) wanted to rehearse it more it could have been a real crowd favorite .To bad .that would have been a ultimate holy grail type of song. You do know how easy it is to play this song on guitar ? so easy ,it just kills me because some of there songs are just as easy but the phrasing sometimes is hard to vibe because we are not the riff master which explains why he is KEEF but gosh darn it ,play it once before this ends please Mick?

Date: July 8, 2016 22:16

TheGreek
DandelionPowderman
alimente
TheGreek
alimente
TheGreek

i do remember it from four flicks , to bad if they (Mick) wanted to rehearse it more it could have been a real crowd favorite .To bad .that would have been a ultimate holy grail type of song. You do know how easy it is to play this song on guitar ? so easy ,it just kills me because some of there songs are just as easy but the phrasing sometimes is hard to vibe because we are not the riff master which explains why he is KEEF but gosh darn it ,play it once before this ends please Mick?

The key to Mick - and the Stones - not ruining a song is the speed and way of which they play it live. They'll play Miss You fast or slow for 300 hours a show but when they did Emotional Rescue, they just zipped through it. It didn't have its proper groove. And certainly they could get a proper groove playing it faster - but it's still gotta be funky enough.

It never sat. It just zoomed along. I can't stand it when they don't let songs do what they should do. And then Mick says 'Wal, that didn't work so toss it' after 3 or 5 shows, whatever.

Date: July 8, 2016 22:19

DandelionPowderman
alimente
TheGreek

ER is MT'S little sister. Dance is really too different musically for the comparison, imo.

I meant philosophically, not exactly musically, Dandy. But ok, both are MY's little sisters as further attempts to appeal to the Disco/Nightclub scene at the time.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 8, 2016 23:08

'Slave' doesn't have enough vocals for Mick to do live, IMO.
I love 'Slave'

Date: July 9, 2016 01:42

DandelionPowderman
alimente
DandelionPowderman
I can listen to that pumping Mesa Boogie-rhythm from Keith on Had It With You all day (but I know lots of people on here don't like it) smiling smiley

Absolutely. Had It With You is Stones at their best. But let's talk again about expectations: I bought the single Harlem Shuffle/Had It With You first. And thought: "Jeeeez, it's gonna be the hell of an album. Stones are obviously back to their blues/soul/rock 'n roll roots.They sound sharp again. Vigouros. Even dangerous. Jagger's sneering again." Excitement all over the place! Then the album arrived and... (to be continued if you want).

I had the same sky-high expectations after buying the single. The real disappointment first hit me when Hold Back came on, the first time I listened to DW, though.

Same here. While I thought that Fight was pretty generic but acceptable, Hold Back was nothing short of a downer. Then Too Rude lifted my mood because I generally love when the Stones do reggae, but the "double treat" of Winning Ugly and Back To Zero was too much of nothing (so to speak) to dream on and believe that DW was another great Stones album...

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 9, 2016 03:40

GasLightStreet
So in that sense, one would think the LPs are even. But as stated, ER lacks attitude, something that makes SG stand out. Even though ER is their longest running #1 LP of all time, facts are 8 million plus people identified with SG more. And in the legacy of the Stones' discography amongst music fans that like a little bit of everything, there are only two latter day era LPs that people know - SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU. That will never change.

Emotional Rescue is not their longest running #1 album, Tattoo You was #1 during 9 weeks while ER was #1 during 7 weeks.
Some Girls was #1 during 2 weeks only, but the album remained on the Top 10 during the whole 1978 (it was #2 during 8 weeks too) on a season with high selling albums as Grease and Saturday Night Fever.

Anyway, the whole era 1978-1982 was by far their most successful time on the US market.

Date: July 9, 2016 19:54

georgelicks
GasLightStreet

Emotional Rescue is not their longest running #1 album, Tattoo You was #1 during 9 weeks while ER was #1 during 7 weeks.
Some Girls was #1 during 2 weeks only, but the album remained on the Top 10 during the whole 1978 (it was #2 during 8 weeks too) on a season with high selling albums as Grease and Saturday Night Fever.

Anyway, the whole era 1978-1982 was by far their most successful time on the US market.

Really. I read that in some book a few years ago, about ER. I thought it was weird that an album that sold a huge amount (SG) didn't chart at #1 longer. But now that I've looked at what you've said, it being in the Top 10 for quite some time, well, that's huge.

I saw something recently that said SG is now over 8 million in the US... funny numbers.

Posted by: peipin ()
Date: July 10, 2016 20:05

Boots flexi Vol 1 only from FM
[www.wetransfer.com]

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 10, 2016 20:12

I framed the album inserts.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: July 10, 2016 21:06

ER is such a great album, over the years Ive been surprised at just how well it does hold up given its reputation, and together with SG and TY makes an excellent trilogy.

SG is better, a statement album, ER is more 'fun' but simply just hearing the band play on this diverse and eclectic work is very rewarding. Tracks like Dance, Down in the Hole, Emotional Rescue, All About You and Send it to Me are top notch.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: July 10, 2016 23:58

Indian Girl, one of my favorite stones tracks.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 11, 2016 07:19

Date: July 11, 2016 07:28

10 Things you probably knew about Emotional Rescue:

[wzlx.cbslocal.com]

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: July 11, 2016 07:29

Keith looked like it was not the right time to ask for a cigarette.

Date: July 11, 2016 07:30

peipin
[www.wetransfer.com]

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: July 11, 2016 08:31

exilestones

1977 shots from SG?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 11, 2016 08:32

exilestones
peipin
[www.wetransfer.com]

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Kindly explain what is included in the link, thanks!

Date: July 11, 2016 13:46

That's a nice photo of Keef the riffmaster dare i say he looks pretty clean in this photo , i know some will probably howl in laughter at that comment .

Date: July 12, 2016 09:49

DandelionPowderman
exilestones

1977 shots from SG?

Not sure. I thought they were from Emotional Rescue during Paris recording sessions. Can't find info.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1803
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home