Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 13
Re: Emotional Rescue Released This Day in 1980
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: June 22, 2016 06:41

Koen
Where's Charlie in those release party pics, did he not attend?

I guess not.

Japan Ad

I think ER is a great album! It's good that the Stones don't do the exact same thing over and over (you can debate that statement). "Dance Pt 1" seemed new to me at the time as well as "Summer Romance." Both songs I didn't really like at first but grew to love them.

"Emotional Rescue" the title tracks, I hated at first thinking the same thing when I first heard "Hot Stuff" and "Miss You," what's this stuff? Where's the next "Honky Tonk" and "Street Fighting Man?" Love them now too.

"Emotional Rescue" with the falsetto wasn't tough enough then I loved to sing along with it.."I will be your knight in shining armor, riding across the desert on a fine Arab charger, coming to your emotional rescue." Then the controlling "You will be mine!" Crack that whip Mick!

I love how the guitar and sax intertwine sounding like each other. It's truely a masterpiece with Mick becoming the character in the song 'putting the icing on the cake."

I was blown away when they played it in concert in 2013. I watched it get better and better. In Philly Mick had his part down, the rest of the band had their part down but it was like two parts working together. By DC 2013 they had it all together. Then later that year it was very cool at Hyde Park. Tokyo 02/26/2014 I really enjoy too.

"She so God Dam Cold" I loved right from the 'get-go!' "When your old...nobody will know..."

"Indian Girl" I just love it with the mariachi band influence. Not sure Mexico fits in there but I still love it!

"Let Me Go" kicks ass! I love belting that one out! Love it at Leeds '82! Love to see Mick in the audience in "Let's Spend the Night Together" movie.

'She could be She could be Bubarian....She could be the Alien' Send it to me. A little Reggae influence there. Love that too.

"Where the Boys" is very good. I enjoy it. I like the music in the video version better. [www.youtube.com]

I never really like the thermal imaging for the album cover and original ER video. Love the second video of ER [www.youtube.com]

Is that Bobby in the ER promo video?

"Richards and Mick Jagger led the Stones through dozens of new songs, some of which were held over for Tattoo You (1981), picking only ten for Emotional Rescue." -wiki

"While several of the tracks featured just the core band of Jagger, Richards, Ronnie Wood, Charlie Watts, and Bill Wyman, keyboardists Nicky Hopkins and co-founder Ian Stewart, sax player Bobby Keys and harmonica player Sugar Blue joined the Rolling Stones on Emotional Rescue.
Songs left off the album would find their way onto the next album, Tattoo You ("Black Limousine", "Hang Fire", "Little T&A", and "No Use in Crying"). -wiki

[en.wikipedia.org]

Where is sugar Blue's part on ER?

""Think I'm Going Mad", another song from the sessions, was released as the B-side to "She Was Hot" in 1984. A cover song sung by Richards: "We Had It All", was released on the 2011 deluxe Some Girls package." -wiki

The Rolling Stones
Mick Jagger – lead and backing vocals, electric guitar, acoustic and electric piano
Keith Richards – electric and acoustic guitars, backing vocals; piano, lead vocals and bass guitar on "All About You"; guitar solo on "Let Me Go"
Ronnie Wood – electric, acoustic, slide and pedal steel guitar, backing vocals; bass guitar on "Emotional Rescue"
Bill Wyman – bass guitar, synthesiser
Charlie Watts – drums
Additional personnel
Ian Stewart – electric and acoustic piano, percussion
Nicky Hopkins - keyboards
Sugar Blue – harmonica
Bobby Keys – saxophone
Michael Shrieve – percussion
Max Romeo – backing vocals on "Dance (Pt. 1)"
Jack Nitzsche – horn arrangement on "Indian Girl"
Chris Kimsey – associate producer and engineer
Snake Reynolds, Sean Fullan - Assistant Engineers
Ted Jensen - mastering engineer

Lyrics
Is there nothing I can say, nothing I can do to change your mind?
I'm so in love with you, you're too deep in, you can't get out
You're just a poor girl in a rich man's house
Ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh
Yeah, baby, I'm crying over you

Don't you know promises were never meant to keep?
Just like the night, they dissolve off in sleep
I'll be your savior, steadfast and true
I'll come to your emotional rescue
Yeah, the other night, cryin', cryin' baby yeah I'm cryin
Yeah I'm cryin, I'm your child baby, child,
Yeah I'm a child, I'm a child, I'm a child

You think you're one of a special breed
You think that you're his pet Pekinese
Ooh ah ah ah ah ah ah ah
Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah
Yeah, I was dreamin' last night baby
Last night I was dreamin' that you'd be mine
But I was cryin' like a child
Yeah I was cryin', cryin' like a child
Could be mine, mine, mine, mine, mine all mine
You could be mine, could be mine, could be mine all mine

I come to you, so silent in the night
So stealthy, so animal quiet
Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah
Yeah, you should be mine, mine, ooh!

Mmm yes, you could be mine, tonight and every night
I will be your knight in shining armor
Coming to your emotional rescue
You will be mine, you will be mine, all mine
You will be mine, you will be mine, all mine

I will be your knight in shining armor
Riding across the desert on a fine Arab charger
coming to your emotional rescue.

Mick Jagger sang much of this in a falsetto, which was the thing to do with Disco songs. The Bee Gees did the same thing, but unlike The Stones, were never able to get back the fans they lost to Disco.

+++

Jagger: 'We were just doing dance music, you know. It was just a dance music lick I was just playing on the keyboard. Charlie has a really nice groove for that." (thanks, Bertrand - Paris, France)

+++

Bobby Keys' sax solo and Mick Jagger's vocals were added almost a year after the rhythm track was recorded.

+++

Jagger wrote this on an electric piano.

++++

[www.songfacts.com]

++++

If people on see a few great songs on Emotional Rescue then they are missing out on a great album. Listen some more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-22 07:40 by exilestones.

Date: June 22, 2016 07:19

Ron Galella, Jerry Hall and Mick Jagger sighting Outside Trax Nightclub in New York City - June 26, 1980 at Trax Nightclub in New York City 
(apparently after the ER Press event).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-23 02:58 by exilestones.

Date: June 22, 2016 07:31

Mick Jagger from the Rolling Stones and Jerry Hall in the audience of a Jim Caroll concert.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-23 02:58 by exilestones.

Date: June 22, 2016 07:57

Taken from a Sounds magazine 1980.

Date: June 22, 2016 08:40

Sugar Blue plays harp on Send It To Me and Down In The Hole.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 22, 2016 09:33

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: June 22, 2016 09:48

thanks exilestones for the pictures.

I agree with you about ER.
in fact, I never understood why this album is so underrated by Stones fans.
ok it's not a tribute to pure rock'n'roll but we know that this band is able to play different kinds of music because they have all kinds of musical influences.

that's also why we like them.

You have jewels like "Down in the hole" which is one of the best blues song I know.
Emotional Rescue is pleasant to listen to and has its own originality thanks to Mick with voices duality.
My favourite song is probably "She's so cold". Guitars are excellent and Mick is just perfect.
I like Charlie's drums in this album in almost every track.

I don't subscribe to "Dance" which is the only song I don't like.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 22, 2016 09:57

Up and till the early eighties it didn't matter so much if they had a mediocre album coming out now and then. Because you could always expect a new album every other year.
You didn't have to wait a decade for the next one. Remember those days?

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: June 22, 2016 15:28

Loved the album when it came out, still love it today. To me ER, Black and Blue, Tattoo You sound all so good.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 22, 2016 15:45

jpasc95

Because it's been Jagger-ized to death. Obviously Mick wanted to cash in on the unexpected success of "Some Girls" and he toally over-produced ER. The songs themselves go between "awful" and "very good" but they're all wasted by the overproduction. The
The release of the "Foxes in the boxes" outtakes proved that remix after remix overdub after overdub Jagger cut the balls of this album until ER became a slick tepid radio-friendly product. Too bad...

jpasc95
I don't subscribe to "Dance" which is the only song I don't like.

That's my fav song of the album! Keef said he had planned it as an isntrumental à la Junior Walker's "Shotgun" but Jagger came into the studio with pages of lyrics for the song demo...

Date: June 22, 2016 15:52

Where exactly is the «over-production» on ER? To my ears, it sounds pretty stripped down, save some Mariachi horns on Indian Girl.

It's very much a raw guitar album, and I'd say that ER is more of a «Keith-album» than that of SG.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 22, 2016 16:44

over-produced?! it's actually one of their best 'sounding' albums of all. if you want to know what over-produced is, check out steel wheels.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 22, 2016 18:04

DandelionPowderman
Where exactly is the «over-production» on ER? To my ears, it sounds pretty stripped down, save some Mariachi horns on Indian Girl.

It's very much a raw guitar album, and I'd say that ER is more of a «Keith-album» than that of SG.

Absolutely, I simply love the raw guitar sound on Indian Girl, All About You, the title track and Send It To Me (the intro is great, btw!)...

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 22, 2016 18:05

ER indeed is their second-best sounding album. I cannot detect any signs of over-production, it´s simply the Stones and their instruments, nothing more at least to my ears. - Rock And A Hard Place, that´s what I call over-produced.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: June 22, 2016 18:29

alimente
DandelionPowderman

Absolutely, I simply love the raw guitar sound on Indian Girl, All About You, the title track and Send It To Me (the intro is great, btw!)...
I remember after I listened to it 2 or 3 times, I found there were not enough guitars.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 22, 2016 20:23

HMS
ER indeed is their second-best sounding album. I cannot detect any signs of over-production, it´s simply the Stones and their instruments, nothing more at least to my ears. - Rock And A Hard Place, that´s what I call over-produced.

Agree...the only thing I hear that sounds extra, production wise is Mick's multi-layered vocals on tracks like She's So Cold. However, I think that sounds really good here.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: June 23, 2016 03:00

jpasc95

I agree with you about ER.

You're welcome.

I think it's under rated because they didn't play it enough, just like Dirty Work. I didn't really like some of the songs at first....

Date: June 23, 2016 03:16

jpasc95

Here are some more pics since you liked the others.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 23, 2016 19:09

The above photo has to be one of the best images of the Stones from all time.The look on there faces is priceless esp on Charlie Watts face.Bravo Exilestones for this super great image .thank you !!!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 23, 2016 19:17

Yeah bravo pics exilestones
say is that Mick's phone number up on top of plaque?
(no I'm not calling it. Unless...)

I could ask is Dr. Glimmer in the house... PH.D. eh? In what praytell?
Somebody call the number.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-23 19:21 by 35love.

Date: June 23, 2016 20:19

alimente
DandelionPowderman

All those songs (save the title track) have indeed a great guitar sound. Indian Girl is no exception.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 23, 2016 20:45

What's the number, cannot read it clearly.

Date: June 23, 2016 20:54

Thanks. I can only take credit for posting and collecting Rolling Stones photos. The real credit needs to go the whoever is the photographer and of course the best posers ever!

I'm glad you enjoy the pics. I'm guessing they came out of the sheet music book?

I agree they are amoung the best photos. Maybe the best group photos of the band!

Give me some attitude!

Date: June 23, 2016 20:57

Possibly better image quality

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 23, 2016 22:13

I often think about the time between Stones albums, which now is about 10 years apart, it seems. Back when I got Emotional Rescue, I think Tattoo You came out about a year later. Then another 1 or 2 until we got Undercover. After that the times started to increase way too long.

I really can't imagine what a great time it would have been to be a Stones fan in the early days, when you it seemed they were releasing 2 albums a year! I always wonder why ... like when you read they have 30 songs in the can for Voodoo Lounge, that they don't just have 2 albums ready to go. Then release 1 right away, and release another 10 to 12 months later.

Unfortunately it has become a standard to only release an album if you are going to tour. I guess it has to do w/ sales, they don't want to release one if there won't be a tour to promote it.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 23, 2016 22:21

There's a flatness to the album. After you get past ER, She's So Cold, and Indian Girl. the rest seems unfinished. There's no Stones magic on songs like Let Me Go, Summer Romance and Down In The Hole. I remember thinking at the time that it was akin to Goats Head Soup, a hangover followup to a classic album like Some Girls. When me ears first heard Down In The Hole I thought, great, a real Stones blues cut, but then it lacked that special something the Stones could bring to a blues track.

Date: June 23, 2016 23:03

Yeah, basically the album is ER, maybe also Dance, and a couple of fillers. Plus a hideous cover. [www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 24, 2016 00:34

Down In The Hole has more depth and exploration to it than most Stones blues tracks. It's also excellently performed. Magic indeed.

To dismiss great tracks like She's So Cold and All About You is just silly, imo.

Date: June 24, 2016 00:42

She's So Cold, a great track? Give me a break. Down In The Hole is maybe a generic blues track but it didn't mix well with the other songs on that album.
The memorable songs were Dance and ER as I said. And disco was still hot in 1980. Believe it or not!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-24 00:54 by Stoneage.

Date: June 24, 2016 01:02

Dance has zilch to do with disco. It's a funk track.

Love SSC. It was excellent when I finally got to hear it in concert at Roskilde.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1532
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home