Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 13
Emotional Rescue Released This Day in 1980
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 20, 2016 23:41

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Some Girls probably sold better but I feel ER doesn't get enough credit. Alot of it's cuts deserve to have classic status; She's So Cold, Let Me Go, Send It To Me, Summer Romance....great stuff! They should've kept more of these songs in the live act! I also really like the production of this album, the guitar sounds are great!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Re: Emotional Rescue Released This Day in 1980
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: June 20, 2016 23:53

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 21, 2016 00:23

Great framing some of the album inserts!

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 21, 2016 00:29

I've got great memories of this release...
Summertime between my sophomore and junior year of high school.

The cassette stayed in my boombox almost the entire summer!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 21, 2016 00:45

I liked several songs upon it's release I suppose. Now I don't think of it as a really good album at all. Let Me Go and She's So Cold is about all I can listen to from it now. It's just not a classic in any sense imho. Summer Romance was a bit of a charge at first too, but it sounds a bit dated and forced to me now. imho not a very good album. I don't like the falsetto on the title track either; never did. Just an opinion, I'm not here to rain on anybody's parade. A very very very long way from their best efforts. How hard were they trying? I don't know. It seems stitched together and unfocused to me.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: June 21, 2016 00:48

This is a great summer record. In part because it's a very lighthearted collection of songs, no Dancing with Mr. D on here -- except for Indian Girl, which is a slow song anyway.

And, it's one of the best sounding records of there's -- up there with Black and Blue -- so it goes down like that first sip of a drink when you're hotter than heck that you can feel go all the way down your throat and into your stomach. Just clear and cool!

T@3

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 21, 2016 00:55

Great release with great outtakes. A deluxe would make me emotional

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 21, 2016 01:09

ROCKMAN

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 21, 2016 02:14

"Mercy Mercy" Don Convay, around '64 I think.In May. Perfect really.
[www.youtube.com]

Have Mercy, an apex version from "Out Of Our Heads" Mick got a lot from Don in every way imo. still it's perfect to me, aside from influence. Mick was loving this music to his credit. Recorded about a year later May '65 I think.
[www.youtube.com]

From Wiki: (sometimes reliable)
"The Rolling Stones recorded their interpretation of "Mercy, Mercy" during their early American recording sessions, when they were beginning to emerge from their blues- and R&B-cover band roots.[7][22] The session took place at the Chess Records studio in Chicago on May 10 and 11, 1965 with engineer Ron Malo.[22] The group generally follows Covay's arrangement, but "really upped the guitar wattage, as heard in the memorable opening section of interwoven guitars and, more particularly, in the booming low fuzz guitar riffs that underpin the verses".[7] Mick Jagger's part shows him "gaining confidence as a soul-rock vocalist";[7] he "clearly modeled his vocal on Covay's original, which apparently had a lasting impact on the way Jagger subsequently used his voice".[9]

The song was not released as a single, however, it was used as the lead track on the Rolling Stones' Out of Our Heads American album. Released on July 30, 1965, it became their first number one album in the US. The album, released in the UK on September 24, 1965, reached number two in the UK and includes the song as the second track.[24]
The band was filmed performing the song with Brian Jones (!!) and during their first appearance with Mick Taylor in Hyde Park on July 5, 1969, which was later included on their Stones in the Park DVD."

Gosh I'd love to see the version with Brian!! Didn't know about that.
[www.youtube.com]
Thanks for post Rockman, always insightful and encyclopedic and full of great info scanned and pasted you are a gem. Hope I haven't gone too far astray of the thread. It's related in it's way. When Don goes into that falsetto briefly, you totally believe all of it. I'm sure a lot of fans feel that way about ER, but imho it dosen't hold up. lol "Out of Our Heads" a better album by miles. for me. Mick has done it right and true but I get artifice out of the studio track.

And just for the hell of it. The version from Hyde Park '69. Fair to say classic. Keith is amazing; Bill seems in charge in a way. It's pretty great. It's like their best performance in the set some would say.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 21, 2016 02:18

Excellent work there Hopkins .... take a bow ole son... take a bow-wow-wow ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: June 21, 2016 02:51

HonkeyTonkFlash
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Some Girls probably sold better but I feel ER doesn't get enough credit. Alot of it's cuts deserve to have classic status; She's So Cold, Let Me Go, Send It To Me, Summer Romance....great stuff! They should've kept more of these songs in the live act! I also really like the production of this album, the guitar sounds are great!

Definitely agree, if it were not for "ER" I probably would not be on this board right now and still interested in The Stones. I'm glad you brought up the anniversary date. It was a magical time for me. The end of my last year in high school and the beginning of summer.

I agree with Hopkins on a few points. I did not like the falsetto either when I first heard it, but in time it grew on me. I also agree it was not there strongest effort...BUT....The great Stones albums belong to the world, where as "ER" felt like it was "My album". A few years ago I had my in laws over for a BBQ and I played "ER" and they were surprised how great it was and they never heard it except the hits on the radio.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 21, 2016 03:15

Used to be one of my favourite Stones album for a while. I don't listen to it so much these days but I still think it's a great album.
The songwriting is maybe not on par with Some Girls but I always thought its main quality lies in the way the band plays on these songs.
What's the story behind the bearded Jagger?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 21, 2016 04:33

the album that started my journey...funnily enough, i hated the lead single originally...only the follow-up single inked the deal.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: June 21, 2016 05:16

I like Emotional Rescue better than some girls

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: June 21, 2016 05:25

Down in the Hole.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 21, 2016 05:34

JimmyTheSaint
Down in the Hole.

sublime

Date: June 21, 2016 05:51

The Rolling Stones' "Emotional Rescue" Album Release Party For Members Of The Press
Photo by Gary Gershoff

Keith Richards with Jane Rose next to him and Patti Hansen sitting against his legs attend the Rolling Stones’
‘Emotional Rescue’ album release party for members of the press at Danceteria on June 26, 1980 in New York City.

Keith Richards (left) of the Rolling Stones holds a mostly empty bottle of Jack Daniel's brand whiskey outside the Danceteria nighclub, New York, New York. Bill German on right in background.
June 26, 1980| Credit: David McGough

Date: June 21, 2016 05:53

Date: June 21, 2016 05:56

Keith during the Emotional Rescue photo shoot, 1980

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: June 21, 2016 11:23

An album I never cared about. I find the songwriting pretty bad. To me it's a filler album. Boring and meaningless songs with no impact in any way.

0.5/5

Date: June 21, 2016 11:36

Great, great album and one of their best-sounding ones, too.

We need a Deluxe version. Jah Is Not Dead, he just needs to be released...

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 21, 2016 12:22

1. Dance [Part 1] - very enjoyable
2. Summer Romance - very enjoyable
3. Send It To Me - enjoyable
4. Let Me Go - extremely enjoyable
5. Indian Girl - awful
6. Where The Boys Go - enjoyable
7. Down In The Hole - extremeely enjoyable
8. Emotional Rescue - (sometimes) enjoyable
9. She's So Cold - extremly enjoyable
10. All About You - extremely enjoyable

What we´ve got here hasnt the depth and genius of LIB or the violence of DW or the dark and dangerous atmosphere of Undercover. It is a lighthearted album and it seems that they had fun making it. It is simply enjoyable - and that makes it one of their best albums post Black And Blue as far as I´m concerned. I like it more than Some Girls and Tattoo You. Of course I like DW even more but that is another story.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 21, 2016 12:25

JimmyTheSaint
Down in the Hole.

Release the original non edited 9 minutes version!

Date: June 21, 2016 12:35

kowalski
JimmyTheSaint
Down in the Hole.

Release the original non edited 9 minutes version!

That's the one we covered in the IORR Band thumbs up

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 21, 2016 12:43

Glad to see most of the comments are positive on this one. The way I see ER is that it is indeed a highly enjoyable album, even if it's not a heavy classic. It shows the Stones still making very engaging music long after the big four era. I think people who limit themselves to just the "classic" stuff are missing a lot of good music. I have an older brother who thinks the Stones were finished creatively after Aftermath. God, I feel sorry for him - all the cool stuff he's missed!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 21, 2016 13:49

I for one think this album is a masterpiece .Right from Chris Kimsey production style which i love very much to the tag team songwriting from the Glimmer Twins to the excelent songs -summer romance ,down in the hole (such soulful blues ,nobody gets down (in the hole) into the blues the way the Stones do ,a true blueprint for the blues .Let me go ,send it to me ,Emotional Rescue with that high falsetto which to me along with the lyrics (i am your knight in shinning armour coming to your emotional rescue you will be mine all mine tonight and every night )i mean that is so funny to me but above all it is FUN .Where the boys go is just a goofy song but yet it rocks mighty nice .She's so cold (we all have known a girl or two who this describes to a capital T ) with that MXR delay pedal is just pure fun .I guess that is my whole point about this album that it is pure fun and joy and really get's into your skin and you feel the pulse and beat of the music .For me a five star effort from the Greatest Rock and Roll band in the world .Now trumpet fanfare for a common man please (Aaron Copeland)

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 21, 2016 14:25

SG, ER, and TY...all 3 great releases....the end. Thanks for those 3...they are still touring based on those 3 albums and the warhorses.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 21, 2016 15:17

Another one of their true Summer albums. An eclectic funky album. I remember being a bit disappointed by it compared to Some Girls. But it grew on me. I admit I don't go back to it much as an album, however, when I do it is fun. There isn't really a bad song on it. It is fun, soulful, and diverse in styles. I do remember after listening to Down in the Hole thinking, "I wish they would have done an entire album like this one!" However, I think that was the point of ER, keep it diverse with a lot of different styles to grab a lot of attention.

Posted by: Ale67 ()
Date: June 21, 2016 16:14

Guys, I prefer ER to Some Girls (shot me!), except for the sound, pretty awful.
Down In The Hole great blues number, Dance could last half an hour and still will never be boring winking smiley

Date: June 21, 2016 16:31

<except for the sound, pretty awful>

The sound on ER is better than that of SG, imo - way better. Gone are the too trebly drums and guitars. ER has a punchy, bass-heavy sound that rocks. The clarity is also lightyears better. You can hear every overdub clearly, as well as it fits the mix.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1525
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home