Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Your First Stones Show...
Posted by: Milan ()
Date: June 21, 2016 23:55

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: June 22, 2016 04:00

HonkeyTonkFlash
Stones50
HonkeyTonkFlash
JadedFaded
Philly. July 1972. Won the ticket on WIBG. Ticket price, with tax, was $6.50.

Question for all you Philly fans-- anybody know why the June 17, 1976 JFK concert was so short? They only played for about 30 minutes, then abruptly left the stage. The crowd was quite pissed and people threw all kinds of trash onto the stage. It was a disappointing concert. No internet back then. I always wondered why they did such a truncated show that night.

I'm assuming you mean June 17, 1978. I was there. They played the same length set as other shows on the tour. They played about 18 songs, including Satisfaction, which didn't get played every time in 1978. I was pretty far from the stage so if there was any throwing of garbage, I didn't see it. It wasn't their best performance but from where I was, the crowd was digging it and all the vibes were positive.
[www.setlist.fm]

They almost canceled this show cause Mick was ill. I was there too.

Right, but I don't know where this rumor that they only played 30 minutes started. The day after the show somebody asked me about it and said, "Yeah, I heard they sucked and they only played 30 minutes..." Well, I would go on to see better shows, but I don't think they sucked and they played at least 90 minutes, not quite two hours anyway....

I meant '78, yes. The show was really short. I remember convincing some friends to go, we had to buy the tickets from a scalper, and the Stones came out and it was great, and then they abruptly left and everyone was so disappointed. Maybe it was more than 30 minutes, but I don't believe it was 90 (set list notwithstanding). I remember being shocked at how short the concert was. Mick being sick makes sense for such a short show.

Date: June 22, 2016 04:08

These two threads need to be merged.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 22, 2016 04:11

JadedFaded
HonkeyTonkFlash
Stones50
HonkeyTonkFlash
JadedFaded
Philly. July 1972. Won the ticket on WIBG. Ticket price, with tax, was $6.50.

Question for all you Philly fans-- anybody know why the June 17, 1976 JFK concert was so short? They only played for about 30 minutes, then abruptly left the stage. The crowd was quite pissed and people threw all kinds of trash onto the stage. It was a disappointing concert. No internet back then. I always wondered why they did such a truncated show that night.

I'm assuming you mean June 17, 1978. I was there. They played the same length set as other shows on the tour. They played about 18 songs, including Satisfaction, which didn't get played every time in 1978. I was pretty far from the stage so if there was any throwing of garbage, I didn't see it. It wasn't their best performance but from where I was, the crowd was digging it and all the vibes were positive.
[www.setlist.fm]

They almost canceled this show cause Mick was ill. I was there too.

Right, but I don't know where this rumor that they only played 30 minutes started. The day after the show somebody asked me about it and said, "Yeah, I heard they sucked and they only played 30 minutes..." Well, I would go on to see better shows, but I don't think they sucked and they played at least 90 minutes, not quite two hours anyway....

I meant '78, yes. The show was really short. I remember convincing some friends to go, we had to buy the tickets from a scalper, and the Stones came out and it was great, and then they abruptly left and everyone was so disappointed. Maybe it was more than 30 minutes, but I don't believe it was 90 (set list notwithstanding). I remember being shocked at how short the concert was. Mick being sick makes sense for such a short show.

Well, I know it FELT short but I'm sure it was at least 90 minutes to incorporate all 18 songs. Also, it felt like they left abruptly as there was no encore...but the Stones rarely did encores back then.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: June 22, 2016 04:33

I remember the disappointment I felt and I remember all the booing and throwing stuff on stage. There was a lot of booing.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: June 22, 2016 07:50

My first Stones show was Steel Wheels in Cincinnati in '89. Since then, I've done 34 more in 3 countries on 2 continents...

Last Summer I took my 12- and 13-year old daughters to their first-ever show, on the field at Ohio Stadium in Columbus... Never thought I'd get the chance to show them what The Stones are all about, and feel very lucky to have done so!!

Now just hoping for a weekend date near enough to take them again this Fall!

Fingers crossed...

Date: June 22, 2016 11:52

JadedFaded
I remember the disappointment I felt and I remember all the booing and throwing stuff on stage. There was a lot of booing.

If that's the case, I'm glad I was way up in the stands. Where I was there was no booing and the vibes were pretty good.

Date: June 22, 2016 22:22

HonkeyTonkFlash
JadedFaded

If that's the case, I'm glad I was way up in the stands. Where I was there was no booing and the vibes were pretty good.

I was pretty far back-- nowhere near the front. It was only my third Stones concert, so I had no expectations about how long the show would be, but I remember being shocked at how short it was. It is the only Stones concert I have ever been to where the Stones got booed. The vibe had been great up until they just walked off the stage. It is strange how different our memories of that concert are. I figure we were both there on the same date but apparently in some kind of alternate universe scenario. smiling smiley

Date: June 22, 2016 23:32

JadedFaded
HonkeyTonkFlash
JadedFaded

I was pretty far back-- nowhere near the front. It was only my third Stones concert, so I had no expectations about how long the show would be, but I remember being shocked at how short it was. It is the only Stones concert I have ever been to where the Stones got booed. The vibe had been great up until they just walked off the stage. It is strange how different our memories of that concert are. I figure we were both there on the same date but apparently in some kind of alternate universe scenario. smiling smiley

Apparently the bleachers and the field were alternate universes, but in a huge place like JFK, that's not incomprehensible, lol!

Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: June 23, 2016 02:35

1972 Forum, 17 years old. After standing in line at Ticketron but not getting a ticket I was heartbroken.

But I heard on the radio a few days later that there would be an afternoon show, and that the only way to get tickets (only in pairs) was by mail. In those pre-FedEx days I went straight to the post office and sent a special delivery letter with a mail order for $13. A few days later, 2 tickets came: 5 rows back on the floor... I couldn't believe it.

I tried to bring in a recorder but I had to take it back to my car, oh well.

Of course for their show (Stevie Wonder opened) I was enthralled.

Security back then was UCLA and USC football players (stupid but that's another discussion). Several people tried to run up a side aisle during 4th song Gimme Shelter. I'll never forget one poor fellow maybe 150 pounds who ran right at one of those guards. The guard just did a quick push with his right hand in fellow's chest, and he flew about 3 feet backward onto his butt then ran back to his seat. Lucky he was not hurt. To my knowledge, Los Angeles never had aggressive security like that again for music events.

I have to mention that my 6th Stones show was at Anaheim where shoes were flying over my head onto the stage.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-30 23:30 by tommyturbo76.

First Show
Posted by: herecomesrichard ()
Date: July 3, 2016 02:41

Some great gig memories here. My first was Rotterdam 82.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-03 02:44 by herecomesrichard.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: July 3, 2016 03:38

BamaStone
December 81' N.O. Superdome, they set an indoor attendance record that night that stood for a while....

They did hold the United States indoor record with An estimated attendance of 87,000. George strait broke it in April of 2014 with 104,000 at AT&T stadium in Dallas.

I think Alice Cooper holds the world indoor record , São Paulo Brazil 1974 over 158,000 attended.

Posted by: Grazidn ()
Date: July 3, 2016 03:48

Mine was earlier this year. São Paulo Feb 24th 2016

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 3, 2016 06:14

Your First Stones Show....... was a KILLER ...never recovered

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jplambert ()
Date: July 3, 2016 09:27

PARIS OLYMPIA 11/04/1967
PARIS PALAIS SPORTS 23/09/1970
PARIS PORTE DE PANTIN 05/06/1976 with my wife
LYON STADE GERLAND 16/06/1982
NICE STADE DU RAY 20/07/1982
MARSEILLE STADE VELODROME 20/06/1990 with my wife
MONTPELLIER 27/07/1995
MARSEILLE STADE VELODROME 05/07/2003 with my wife
PARIS BERCY 07/07/2003 with my wife
NICE NIKAIA 08/08/2006 with my wife my daughter
PARIS STADE DE France 16/06/2007
LYON STADE GERLAND 18/06/2007 with my wife
LONDRES O2 26/08/2007
LONDRES 02 25/11/2012 with my Daughter
LONDRES HYDE PARK 14/07/2013 with my wife my daughter and my granddauhter
BERLIN 11/06/2014 with my daughter
PARIS STADE DE France 13/06/2014 with my wife my daughter
RAPH WILSON STADIUM 11/07/2015 with my wife my granddaughter

Date: July 3, 2016 11:53

Rockman
Your First Stones Show....... was a KILLER ...never recovered

I would guess any true fan's first show is a killer because good or bad, the rush of seeing the Stones for the first time is incomparable!

Date: July 3, 2016 12:34

I would guess any true fan's first show is a killer because good or bad, the rush of seeing the Stones for the first time is incomparable!

..... aaaawwwww we'll yeah maybe but.. but .... there a shows and darrrr are shows

ROCKMAN

Date: July 3, 2016 13:09

Rockman

..... aaaawwwww we'll yeah maybe but.. but .... there a shows and darrrr are shows

True, but as a wide-eyed 18 year old fanatic a sub-par show at JFK Stadium in 1978 still thrilled me! I finally Saw. The. Rolling. Stones!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-03 13:20 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: July 3, 2016 13:32

Go Honkey!!!! ... dat's da spirit .... You can call me Yummy Daddy from now on ...

ROCKMAN

Date: July 3, 2016 13:47

Rockman
Go Honkey!!!! ... dat's da spirit .... You can call me Yummy Daddy from now on ...

Ha ha....Yer not my type, lol!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-03 13:58 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: July 3, 2016 14:02

jplambert
PARIS OLYMPIA 11/04/1967
PARIS PALAIS SPORTS 23/09/1970
PARIS PORTE DE PANTIN 05/06/1976 with my wife
LYON STADE GERLAND 16/06/1982
NICE STADE DU RAY 20/07/1982
MARSEILLE STADE VELODROME 20/06/1990 with my wife
MONTPELLIER 27/07/1995
MARSEILLE STADE VELODROME 05/07/2003 with my wife
PARIS BERCY 07/07/2003 with my wife
NICE NIKAIA 08/08/2006 with my wife my daughter
PARIS STADE DE France 16/06/2007
LYON STADE GERLAND 18/06/2007 with my wife
LONDRES O2 26/08/2007
LONDRES 02 25/11/2012 with my Daughter
LONDRES HYDE PARK 14/07/2013 with my wife my daughter and my granddauhter
BERLIN 11/06/2014 with my daughter
PARIS STADE DE France 13/06/2014 with my wife my daughter
RAPH WILSON STADIUM 11/07/2015 with my wife my granddaughter

That's a lot of first shows!

Date: July 3, 2016 14:35

Ha ha....Yer not my type, lol!

YEAH but I make the best pizza ..... .... TRUE!!! ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 3, 2016 14:58

I think Mr Lambert is right. Everyone is the first one!

Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: July 3, 2016 15:15

First one is Paris 5 june 76 plus 146 others including paradiso,olympia,brixton 95,3 MSG 98,astoria 03,trabendo 12(with my 2 sons) also many arenas in usa and many stadiums in europe (first row everytime) so I met many fans.My favorite periode is when I was at sudio Pathé in boulogne every evening to collect autographs,pics and discutions with every RS members,even Stu. My regret is to be too young and unable to start in the 60's.
Kiss you all

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: July 3, 2016 23:38

July 78 Cleveland Stadium

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Montrealsuperfan ()
Date: July 4, 2016 00:31

Orchard Park New York. 1981. Ten bucks for a GA floor seat and it also included George Thorogood !

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 4, 2016 05:32

virgil
BamaStone
December 81' N.O. Superdome, they set an indoor attendance record that night that stood for a while....

They did hold the United States indoor record with An estimated attendance of 87,000. George strait broke it in April of 2014 with 104,000 at AT&T stadium in Dallas.

I think Alice Cooper holds the world indoor record , São Paulo Brazil 1974 over 158,000 attended.

There's some talks about 150,000+ attendees on this concert but there's also a review published on the next day that says the promoters expected to sell 100,000 tickets but hardly 80,000 were sold, which is also impressive.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: July 4, 2016 08:56

My first show was the one where Keith gave himself a mulligan after he shanked the intro to Before They Make Me Run (I didn’t think that was very sporting, to be honest, but on the plus side I guess it made the show longer) and Mick quipped that Mila Mulroney was backstage.

Posted by: alexisjagger ()
Date: July 4, 2016 22:24

14th march, 2016. Mexico City

The stones came for the first time in 1995, and then 1998 and 2006 to Mexico City, but I was too young to pay the concerts for myself and I wasn't a fan in those times.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: July 4, 2016 23:13

How many of us have converted normal music fans along the way?

I've really enjoyed having friends come along to see The Stones, and afterwards they'll go on and on about how great it was... Then I reiterate to them that I told them it wasn't their Smashing Pumpkins or whatever their fave was at the time...

I have folks right now telling me they wanna come along this Fall, but I just have to see what comes of it... Most will balk at the price tag, but I've paid it forward more than once over the years and paid the way for a friend to come along, either first-timers or someone who has witnessed The Stones before.

Music is a gift to share, and The Stones live is the ultimate spectacle!

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2141
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home