Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Your First Stones Show...
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 18, 2016 02:14

Just realized that today is the anniversary of my first Stones show back on June 17, 1978 at JFK Stadium in Philly. Anyone else care to share fond memories of their very first Stones show? My first impression was what enormous excitement they could generate simply by walking onstage. The roar of the crowd was so overwhelming, I had no idea what the first song was until I read in the papers the next day that it was Let It Rock!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-18 02:18 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Re: Your First Stones Show...
Posted by: Kevinstones78 ()
Date: June 18, 2016 02:20

That was my first show as well. 18 years old. That started my love for the band even though from what I remember it was a tough show on the stage and on the field. But what a way to start. 48 shows to date. Hoping for a few more here in NY come fall.

Date: June 18, 2016 02:24

Kevinstones78
That was my first show as well. 18 years old. That started my love for the band even though from what I remember it was a tough show on the stage and on the field. But what a way to start. 48 shows to date. Hoping for a few more here in NY come fall.

Cool - I was also 18 in 1978, and that show was kind of my high school graduation party. I've heard things were tough down on the field. I was high up in the stands. The Stones looked like ants but the crowd around me was pretty cool. Not the best Stones show I'd see over the years but there's always something magic about seeing your heroes live for the first time!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 18, 2016 02:51

july 1990 hampden park glasgow, was a cold night.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 18, 2016 03:18

1975 In Philly.
Front row and still the
Best concert I ever attended.

Missed seeing them in 1972 because I couldn't
Afford the tix and transportation cost.
Dumb kid. Haha.

Date: June 18, 2016 03:28

hot stuff
1975 In Philly.
Front row and still the

Dumb kid. Haha.

Was that 75 show an arena or stadium gig?

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: June 18, 2016 03:45

December 14th, 1989 Olympic Stadium, Montréal, Canada.
I remember thanking God 'cause I had the chance to see them once before they would soon retire. It was 27 years ago.....
And by the way... I saw them 8 more times since.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 18, 2016 04:19

'72 RFK Stadium in Washington D.C. then a few weeks later at MSG. A stadium and then an arena, which was much more to my liking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-30 22:47 by hopkins.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: June 18, 2016 04:24

December 81' N.O. Superdome, they set an indoor attendance record that night that stood for a while....

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 18, 2016 04:26

HonkeyTonkFlash
hot stuff
1975 In Philly.
Front row and still the

Dumb kid. Haha.

Was that 75 show an arena or stadium gig?

It was a arena. The Spectrum with the Lotus Leaf stage.
I had a old camera with me and I still remember trying to take a picture but my flash wouldn't go off. Mick stood there waiting for me to get my shot. Sadly it went off to late. But Mick was cool letting me try.

Also I throw a cigarette to Bill. He lite it and smoked it. Very cool. He nodded his head in appreciation.

The good Olde days.

Posted by: spiderman ()
Date: June 18, 2016 05:00

First show New Orleans 1978, sold my 75 Greensboro tickets at facevalue because of opportunity to have sex for the first time, Mick understood.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 18, 2016 05:57

Los Angeles Coliseum, Oct. 9th (and 11th), 1981.
J. Geil Band
George Thorohgood
Prince

My senior year in high school-I was 18 years old.
I always loved the Stones, but this was a monumental occasion that called for thorough research and understanding of their history. Digging way deep into the catalogue, reading books, etc., etc. etc., the anticipation was beyond excitement. With Tattoo You as the main soundtrack, I learned more about the Stones in the 3 months leading up to these shows, then I had my entire life prior to that. Having seen Pink Floyd's The Wall a year earlier at the L.A. Sports Arena (twice), the bar was set very high for any concert that came after. But this turned out to be an entirely different experience; GA massive outdoor stadium (Stones) vs reserved seating small indoor arena (Floyd) so it's not possible to say which one was absolutely better - apples and oranges. Needless to say, the Stones lived up to everything I was anticipating, and exceeded all my expectations - sensory overload x 1,000. Those concerts by Pink Floyd and the Stones still stand the test of time as the best concert experiences I've ever had, and both stand alone on their own merits. There's been a couple other Stones shows in theaters/clubs/arenas that have come close to take the #1 spot, but the very first time will always be the most special.

Someone here recently posted a link to an L.A. Times review of the shows, along with many pics taken on Oct.11th.
Thanks again to whoever it was that provided the link! thumbs up

1981 Rolling Stones concert at the Coliseum

For the first show, my older brother and I (he was an experienced concert goer having already seen the Stones, Zeppelin, etc.) made our way on the field to about 30 people back from the stage and endured the entire show from our spot- including all opening acts. It was complete chaos, fun, and the thrill of a lifetime! The second show we settled in seats about 1/3 of the way back and 10 rows up on the side, still licking our 'wounds' from the standing all day experience of the show two days earlier. It was just as fun as the first, and to have a different visual perspective made it just as memorable. Memories for a lifetime indeed...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 18, 2016 06:10

Funny, sweet story someone shared with my son tonight. We were out to dinner and my soon to be 18 year old boy is wearing his Stones tee from the tour last summer. This guy walks up to our table to tell my son about how he saw his first Stones show in Philadelphia on June 17, 1978. He says that he was at beach week celebrating his high school graduation and these two girls asked him to the concert so he went and he's loved the band ever since. My son's face lit up when the guy mentioned the two girls taking him to the concert. Guess where he's going next week for his high school grad trip? The same beach. grinning smiley

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: June 18, 2016 06:14

Summer 2015- dragged to Milwaukee, the a true believer...took whole family to Indy.

thumbs up

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 18, 2016 07:05

Great stories :-)

I had tickets for both 1981 and 1989 USA. Tickets that I alone worked my tail off to procure, like nothing before. Frankly, the ONLY shows/entertainment I've ever given a toss about or tried to see. The RS were deep in my heart since I was young, the music giving solace, joy, a place to go.
The DAY of BOTH shows, things went down badly. I did not get to see either show. I cannot convey how incredulous that was to me.
Swore to myself I was jinxed, I'd never try again. And I never tried for a show again.
But kept my #1 passion with me. It wouldn't leave.

2015- After a particularly tough year with a child who has some medical issues, I was feeling ground down w/ life. I allowed myself to get a glimmer of hope thru the info provided here that it actually might be possible- 2 people that had a courtship full of entertainment, had kids right after marriage, then did nothing for 10 years travel/ entertain wise, this was it. Nothing left to lose.
I gotta good man, and to share it with him, well, there was none better.

Zipcode San Diego 13th row! Unbelievable. Never have I been so hyper focused in my life. We had a BLAST, and a piece of me came back. :-).
The crazy in love with Jagger piece, I think LOL.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: June 18, 2016 07:20

My first show was Fort Collins, Colorado, November 7, 1969, age 18.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 18, 2016 08:34

LateBloomer, GREAT STORY!

Date: June 18, 2016 09:29

Philly as well! I won tickets on the radio 6 days before the Steel Wheels tour started- it was for night #2 9/1/1989

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: June 18, 2016 14:08

HonkeyTonkFlash
Just realized that today is the anniversary of my first Stones show back on June 17, 1978 at JFK Stadium in Philly. Anyone else care to share fond memories of their very first Stones show? My first impression was what enormous excitement they could generate simply by walking onstage. The roar of the crowd was so overwhelming, I had no idea what the first song was until I read in the papers the next day that it was Let It Rock!

I know it was Philadelphia in a large stadium and I know it was 1978...was that the only date they did in Philadelphia? If yes, I was there too for my first.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: June 18, 2016 14:50

May 7, 1965, Clearwater, Florida...supposedly the night Keith woke up and recorded the chords for Satisfaction into his tape recorder, the Stones only played four songs because of rowdy fans, it was still amazing because we had just seen them on Ed Sullivan the previous Sunday(the show was on a Thursday) on Ed Sullivan singing Little Red Rooster...I was 13 years old!

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 18, 2016 16:18

Friday, August 24th 1990. 2nd last night of the Urbsn Jungle Tour, but with the Steel Wheels stage. Will never forget it. As a longtime fan, I soaked up every second, thinking it was the only time I would ever get to see them grinning smiley

20 more gigs since spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 18, 2016 16:21

Toronto, mid July 72 (?), Maple Leaf Gardens. I was 16. Can't remember much. It was so far back and a blur.

Afterwards: Buffalo, NY 75 (last show of the Tour of Americas, August)
Buffalo, NY 78 (I think this was on the 4th of July? I was right near the front of the stage)
Syracuse, NY 1981 - (November, two shows 1981)
Syracuse, NY 1989 (two shows, September and loudest concert I ever attended-messed up my hearing for days)
Toronto, Canada 1994 (CNE Stadium, August-great show)
Syracuse, NY 12/94
Buffalo, NY 10/97 (really, really close to the B stage)
Syracuse 1998 (forgot the month)
Missed the No Security Tour entirely
Philly, 9/2002 (great show including versions of Let It Bleed tunes like Love in Van, and first time hearing Can't You Hear Me Knocking in concert)
Toronto, 10/02
Skipped Bigger Bang tour
Toronto, 5/13 (took my son who loved it)
Buffalo, 7/11/15 (took my son who loved it, better seats, beautiful day, and better performance than 2013)

Date: June 18, 2016 16:26

steffialicia
HonkeyTonkFlash

I know it was Philadelphia in a large stadium and I know it was 1978...was that the only date they did in Philadelphia? If yes, I was there too for my first.

Yeah, in 1978 they only did one stadium show in Philly. I thought it was pretty amazing that in 1981 they could sell out stadiums twice in every city they played! Then in 1989 I think they sold out NY's Shea Stadium something like six times! Was that the most stadium shows in one city on a single tour ever? I think they did Giants Stadium 3 times on Voodoo Lounge and 2 times on a Bigger Bang although the two shows were a year apart!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-18 17:06 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: June 18, 2016 17:13

Rotterdam, 21 may 1990
It was pure magic thumbs up

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 18, 2016 17:17

stonesrule
LateBloomer, GREAT STORY!

Yeah, it was really cool, especially because we were celebrating my eldest daughter's birthday. I love it when the Stones come into my life in unexpected ways.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: June 18, 2016 17:38

Sydney Cricket Ground, 1 April 1995

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: June 18, 2016 18:29

JFK stadium, Philly 9-25-1981 within 20 feet of the stage

Date: June 18, 2016 18:35

Buffalo 81

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Date: June 18, 2016 18:37

Bashlets
JFK stadium, Philly 9-25-1981 within 20 feet of the stage

I was there too - my 2nd Stones show!

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: June 19, 2016 00:36

Buffalo 81 then Pontiac, Mich. Outside the Pontiac show I met a guy selling a ton of shirts, had very nice designs and colors. Havent seen any to match since then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-19 00:37 by babyblue.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1572
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home