Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Altamont documentaries - update
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 17, 2016 10:25

hey all,

Some of you know I'm producing 2 documentaries about Altamont!

They're still happening.
Good news -- progress continues, several dozen fantastic interviews and insights in the can, and more on the way.

Still...things are slow-going when you're balancing full-time paid employment, San Francisco housing travails, transplanting to Las Vegas, and boyfriend and family terminal illnesses -- basically: life.

There's one thing that would catapult the project forward and get it funded to the degree I can 100% focus on it, and--as my boyfriend said before he died--"Finish the fuuckin' thing, Sue!"

That one thing, that's alluded me for 3 ½ years, is a short interview with Keith (even audio). But more on that in a minute.

This cool thing happened.
Woke up recently to an email announcing "You've Won the Listserve," meaning I was selected to write 600 words on any topic, to be sent to 25,000 subscribers to a project called The Listserve. Many positive encouraging emails came in from around the world---but no substantive leads to Keith yet.

Here's my 600 words...

Free Concert at Altamont (+ request re: Keith Richards)

Some say history is written by the victors, but I'm not so sure about that. Most of the time it's pretty fuzzy who the victors are...

This I do know: history is often written --sometimes gouged in stone-- by those seeking to keep the status quo intact.

Have you heard about the Free Concert at Altamont?

I'll tell you, since I'm producing 2 documentaries on Altamont.

But first I'll ask---knowing it's a long shot---do you happen to know Keith Richards, guitarist of the Rolling Stones? if so, would you consider connecting us up?

Even 5- to 10-minute interview would work! It's for those Altamont documentaries I started telling you about...

Q: What's Altamont?
A: There's the conventional narrative, vs. the more interesting narrative.

Conventional:
"Four months after the peaceful Woodstock Festival, San Francisco psychedelic bands and the Rolling Stones gather--a carelessly planned event at a decrepit demolition derby racetrack, godforsaken part of California, bitter cold winter, Hells Angels 'Security' stab a black teenager to death, while the Rolling Stones play."

The more interesting history is a mosaic of stories--creating a far more complex, far different picture of Altamont.

Mainstream narratives frame up the violence at Altamont speciously as the death knell of idealism--the end of countercultures. Oft-repeated tale of comeuppance--to those daring to believe in human connectedness, spontaneity, expressiveness, caring for each other, goodness, openness, compassion, personal freedom.

Thing is: these ideals didn't come to the fore exclusively during the 1960s. They always come to the fore, over time immemorial--and they're always a direct challenge to hierarchical, materialistic, individual-as-king, linear dictums of "reality” that line up as soldiers buttressing the status quo.

These ideals didn't die at Altamont....and were vibrantly alive the night before.

The documentaries:
(1) "The Night Before Altamont" (radio)
(2) Altamont 360° (film + interactive transmedia components)

Why?
(1) Conventional narratives about Altamont suck. Aside from Gimme Shelter (1969 film--see it!), they're marked by blame, shame, cynicism, ideological hatred, recrimination, and sensationalism.

In other words, history by self-designated "victors" intent to ridicule and quash humanistic ideals as silly and "congenitally naive."

My documentaries--inspired by Kurosawa's Rashomon--radically reframe Altamont by presenting multiple simultaneous perspectives, underscoring that "alternative" narratives are as real and true--if not more so--than those making it "through" to claim One Real Truth.

(2) When people die, their stories die too--unless collected.

I've interviewed 2 dozen+ and met dozens more Altamont denizens----Director Albert Maysles, free-spirits who hitchhiked as teenagers to Altamont, current and former Hells Angels (both men of integrity, very kind to me), Grateful Dead and Rolling Stones management, Black Panthers, and many more.

- Some died---never to see the finished product (heartbreaking)

- Those alive must be interviewed now to tell their stories

Keith Richards?

Just 12 hours before the concert, Altamont radiated positive cooperative energy--hundreds of Bay Area volunteers creating concert infrastructure, thousands of kids camping?, ?joyfully anticipating the next day's events.

Atmosphere so cool Keith Richards spent the night there, alone!

"I went the night before, and I stayed. It was really beautiful...everywhere I went was a gas. People were sitting around campfires...getting high...it was really cool..." (Rolling Stone magazine, 1971

This simple story, of history before history, has never been adequately told---and a new mythos has emerged on the web and in print, claiming the night before was dark and violent, the beginnings of a trajectory of inevitable tragedy that forever scarred American culture.

I need Keith's voice to round out the radio documentary.

Just a few words from Keith, I have been assured, will incentivize public radio to air "The Night Before Altamont."

Once aired, "The Night Before Altamont" will stand alone--plus serve as "demo reel" for film, Altamont 360°

Please help me get even 5 minutes of Keith "tape" to add to the myriad other voices and perspectives, to finish these projects---expanding who the victors are who "write" ?history? ??and ?tell our stories.

Thanks!?
getmekeithrichards@gmail.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-20 09:46 by swiss.

Re: My Altamont documentaries - update
Date: June 17, 2016 10:27

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-17 10:28 by swiss.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: June 17, 2016 10:46

Swiss,
it's great to have new things to say and show about this concert/tragedy.
Congratulations !

Date: June 17, 2016 10:53

Thanks, jpasc95!

There is lots more to say. Plenty for multiple books worth, in fact! smiling smiley

-swiss

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 17, 2016 12:44

At least Stones was at it's absolute best at this time...in all ways...Everything that happened concerning this Concert is both very intressting and also sad of course...keep on digging...thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 17, 2016 15:42

Swiss,

All the best to you in getting the documentaries completed. Kudos on using the concept of "presenting multiple simultaneous perspectives".

On that subject, I recently read Phil Lesh's "Searching for the Sound: My Life with the Grateful Dead" and, as I read his recounting of Altamont I found myself thinking along the lines of: "Wow. That's a different point of view that I've never heard before" and "I wonder how many IORRians have heard this story/point of view before".

At the time, I wanted to post here on IORR about it but never found a thread to add to and didn't really want to start a new one. This thread seems like a good place to open the topic, I hope you don't mind.

I wish I could offer specifics as to what he wrote but that's long gone from my specific memory. Regarding your documentaries, I was just curious as to whether you may have spoken to Phil or have read what he wrote on the subject. As I was reading, I also thought that "some of the IORRians would enjoy reading this section".

All the best to you!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: June 17, 2016 16:19

hi Mr DJA,

Yes -- fascinating, isn't it?

For "The Night Before Altamont" radio documentary I interviewed/recorded only those who were there the night before. So, not Phil Lesh yet -- he was not there the night before.

There are 100 potential people to interview for Altamont 360°, the film.

About 10 have died already. More are sick and ailing. I interviewed and had a crew film 2 gorgeous hours of Sam Cutler a couple years ago because I wasn't sure how much longer he'd be with us, and he happened to be visiting the Bay Area.

As said above, I have to get funding. Altamont 360° isn't going to be a lightweight DIY effort. And I know exactly what I want it to be, look like, sound like, feel like, and convey.

"The Night Before Altamont" must get finished before going full-bore on Altamont 360°-- I need to leverage "Night Before" for marketing and promotion.

So, I can't just "talk" to people without filming them.

But put it this way -- only one person said "No" to my request for "The Night Before Altamont."

If I can get 5 minutes of Keith, I can finally wrap "Night Before," get it out within a few weeks of month after that -- and off to the races with Altamont 360°.

So, Phil...he is one of the top 10 people. We have mutual friends, and I think he'd see value in the project--as has pretty much everyone I've had casual conversations with about it.

thanks!
swiss

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-17 17:22 by swiss.

Posted by: slakka ()
Date: June 17, 2016 20:00

Swiss, did you get Bob Roberts from VH1?

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 18, 2016 00:24

Swiss what a great post! I'm just going to use parts of it here and I hope you don't mind, as your full post in context still leads. I think it's a brave, important effort and am so glad to think anyone cares about revisionist history and purposeful misinformation over time. a sin and a lie...and it never ever stops. The conventional narrative becomes "History" in the hearts and minds of many generations over decades of purposeful denigration. The media, including 'rock' reportage and publications, all joined in the 'if it bleeds it leads' Fourth State sensationalism. Throwing the public "raw meat." Here's hoping you attract the means to finish these projects and I hope you get a few minutes to talk with Keith. This is great, just great stuff! thumbs up _____________________________________________

"...Mainstream narratives frame up the violence at Altamont speciously as the death knell of idealism--the end of countercultures. Oft-repeated tale of comeuppance--to those daring to believe in human connectedness, spontaneity, expressiveness, caring for each other, goodness, openness, compassion, personal freedom.
Thing is: these ideals didn't come to the fore exclusively during the 1960s. They always come to the fore, over time immemorial--and they're always a direct challenge to hierarchical, materialistic, individual-as-king, linear dictums of "reality” that line up as soldiers buttressing the status quo...

...(1) Conventional narratives about Altamont suck. Aside from Gimme Shelter (1969 film--see it!), they're marked by blame, shame, cynicism, ideological hatred, recrimination, and sensationalism.
In other words, history by self-designated "victors" intent to ridicule and quash humanistic ideals as silly and "congenitally naive."" thumbs up !!
MJ: "Well, awful. I mean, just awful. You feel a responsibility. How could it all have been so silly and wrong? But I didn't think of these things that you guys thought of, you in the press: this great loss of innocence, this cathartic end of the era.... I didn't think of any of that. That particular burden didn't weigh on my mind. It was more how awful it was to have had this experience and how awful it was for someone to get killed and how sad it was for his family and how dreadfully the Hell's Angels behaved."

Date: June 18, 2016 05:03

hopkins
Swiss what a great post! I'm just going to use parts of it here and I hope you don't mind, as your full post in context still leads. I think it's a brave, important effort and am so glad to think anyone cares about revisionist history and purposeful misinformation over time. a sin and a lie...and it never ever stops. The conventional narrative becomes "History" in the hearts and minds of many generations over decades of purposeful denigration. The media, including 'rock' reportage and publications, all joined in the 'if it bleeds it leads' Fourth State sensationalism. Throwing the public "raw meat." Here's hoping you attract the means to finish these projects and I hope you get a few minutes to talk with Keith. This is great, just great stuff! thumbs up _____________________________________________

"...Mainstream narratives frame up the violence at Altamont speciously as the death knell of idealism--the end of countercultures. Oft-repeated tale of comeuppance--to those daring to believe in human connectedness, spontaneity, expressiveness, caring for each other, goodness, openness, compassion, personal freedom.
Thing is: these ideals didn't come to the fore exclusively during the 1960s. They always come to the fore, over time immemorial--and they're always a direct challenge to hierarchical, materialistic, individual-as-king, linear dictums of "reality” that line up as soldiers buttressing the status quo...

...(1) Conventional narratives about Altamont suck. Aside from Gimme Shelter (1969 film--see it!), they're marked by blame, shame, cynicism, ideological hatred, recrimination, and sensationalism.
In other words, history by self-designated "victors" intent to ridicule and quash humanistic ideals as silly and "congenitally naive."" thumbs up !!

Thank you for your feedback and kind encouragement, Hopkins, from one native New Yorker to another! (Saw your post mentioning a childhood of listening to "Music radio...W - A - B - C!" I started listening about age 3 thanks to a boatload of older brothers with radios--transistor and otherwise--turned on to 77WABC. My oldest brother turned me onto Between the Buttons around that same time.)

I very much appreciate your perspective --i.e., "I think it's a brave, important effort and am so glad to think anyone cares about revisionist history and purposeful misinformation over time."-- and hope enough others agree to help me get to the next phase, where I am sure it will find like-minded supporters and take off, pretty organically!

MJ: "Well, awful. I mean, just awful. You feel a responsibility. How could it all have been so silly and wrong? But I didn't think of these things that you guys thought of, you in the press: this great loss of innocence, this cathartic end of the era.... I didn't think of any of that. That particular burden didn't weigh on my mind. It was more how awful it was to have had this experience and how awful it was for someone to get killed and how sad it was for his family and how dreadfully the Hell's Angels behaved."

I've always appreciated that quote from Mick. He's such a skilled interviewee. He doesn't actually denounce the assertion that the Stones via Altamont killed idealism and hastened the demise of "an era," simply remarks that he hadn't framed it up thus in his own mind. Demonstrates his keen mind and natural politesse, both of which would have undoubtedly served him well if he'd elected a more conventional path in commerce or politics. (As it has in his chosen milieu, which was a far more exciting and unproven frontier upon which to play and pillage.)

Incidentally Rich Cohen's take on Altamont takes on a different narrative than most conventional ones, as does Sam Cutlers's--Sam, because he was there and has always had his own mind--and Rich, in part owing to his proximity to the Stones themselves over time, and in part to (as he suggests in The Sun & the Moon...) his being a GenXer, not having emerged from the "1960s" ethos.

Thanks again, hopkins!
-swiss

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: June 18, 2016 22:52

Can you get Keith on tape from another source and get permission to use that?
If you get him, what questions would you ask?

Date: June 19, 2016 03:34

Hi wonderboy,

wonderboy
Can you get Keith on tape from another source and get permission to use that?

Excellent question! I've tried that approach, but if you have any other ideas, I'm all ears.

Keith has been published speaking about the night before Altamont only twice, as far as I can tell, leading to print interviews. If there is anything else on audio, video, or film, I have not located them.

(1) Robert Greenfield's Rolling Stone interview with Keith (August 19, 1971):

Robert Greenfield and I have been in contact. He's was exceedingly kind to let me record him reading the quote below--once in his own voice, and once saying that he was doing a Keith imitation. So, I have that, but it's a one-off and breaks the flow of the "The Night Before Altamont"---which is a non-narrated piece---the 20 speakers tell the entire story with their own words, leading one into the other, with no omniscient or "meta" presence removing you from the story as it unfolds. He does have the original cassette tape, but it is extremely fragile. I offered to have it preserved and digitized, but unfortunately it isn't in the cards for now.

KR quote: "I went out there the night before...I stayed there. I just hung around, met a few nice people. It was really beautiful. That night before, everywhere I went was a gas. People were sitting around their fires, really cool, getting high..."

(2) In autobiographyLIFE:

James Fox -- tried unsuccessfully to reach him, every which way--the obvious, through the publisher, as well as many other ways.

KR quote: "When Stanley Booth and Mick went back to the hotel after we'd walked the ground of Altamont, I stayed. It was an interesting environment. I'm not going back to the Sheraton and then come back here tomorrow. I'm here for the duration: that's the way I felt. I've got how many hours to tune into what's happening here. It was fascinating. You could feel it in the air, that anything could happen." (p. 281)

wonderboy
If you get him, what questions would you ask?

Just this: Tell me about the night before Altamont. That's it.

Thanks for asking!
-swiss

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-19 04:19 by swiss.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 19, 2016 05:12

Swiss, good thoughts and thank you--

May I ask your opinion here:

Do you think it was bad/ tainted acid that was given out to so many?
Perhaps the day of the show?
(I apologize if this is too abrupt and not appropriate.)

Date: June 19, 2016 06:38

35love
Swiss, good thoughts and thank you--

May I ask your opinion here:

Do you think it was bad/ tainted acid that was given out to so many?
Perhaps the day of the show?
(I apologize if this is too abrupt and not appropriate.)

hi 36love,

Thanks for your note. Yes, some people hold that to be true--that perspective is covered in Altamont 360°, the film, which takes a comprehensive look at the whole episode.

And, prior to that, "The Night Before Altamont" radio documentary focuses on the night before.

-swiss

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: June 19, 2016 20:37

swiss

Just this: Tell me about the night before Altamont. That's it.

Thanks for asking!
-swiss

I don't know after 40-some years if Keith still has real memories of that evening. He probably remembers what he remembers, if you know what I mean, he remembers the stories he told to other people. But there might be something. He might have some sensory perception memory.
Do you know who was with him that night? Wouldn't there have been some friend or minder or hanger-on who was with him. Keith is a very social person and especially at the time there were always people around him. If so, that person might be a good contact.
You know I think Keith is on record now as saying the whole peace and love and flowers thing was a crock, but at the time he was fairly invested in that. I might go so far as to say he was a hippie himself, at least in the Engish bohemian eccentric sense. I wonder if Altamont was more the end of a dream to him that he would let on.
Have you found any observers from the night before who came into contact with him?
I have strange arcane questions, like, if he spent the night there mingling and getting high, he probably stayed up all night. Did he take a nap in the afternoon or just stay up all day again? And then when they went on stage and saw all these people, were they scared?

Date: June 20, 2016 06:46

hi wonderboy, thanks for your note.

wonderboy
I don't know after 40-some years if Keith still has real memories of that evening. He probably remembers what he remembers, if you know what I mean, he remembers the stories he told to other people. But there might be something. He might have some sensory perception memory.

Maybe so. Whatever he'd have I'd want.

wonderboy
Do you know who was with him that night? Wouldn't there have been some friend or minder or hanger-on who was with him. Keith is a very social person and especially at the time there were always people around him. If so, that person might be a good contact.

Bodyguard (brilliant, funny, good company) Tony Funches stayed with him, when the others returned to SF, but Keith didn't need minding. He was hanging out, I have interviewed people who encountered KR that night.

wonderboy
You know I think Keith is on record now as saying the whole peace and love and flowers thing was a crock, but at the time he was fairly invested in that. I might go so far as to say he was a hippie himself, at least in the Engish bohemian eccentric sense. I wonder if Altamont was more the end of a dream to him that he would let on.
Have you found any observers from the night before who came into contact with him?
I have strange arcane questions, like, if he spent the night there mingling and getting high, he probably stayed up all night. Did he take a nap in the afternoon or just stay up all day again? And then when they went on stage and saw all these people, were they scared?

Those aren't particularly arcane questions smiling smiley

Put it this way: there was very little sleep.

For "The Night Before Altamont" radio documentary I don't ask any questions about the day-of Altamont itself.

And if anyone reading can help get me just 5 minutes, even on the phone, with Keith--I would name my first kid after you. OK, maybe not that, but I'd name my next puppy after you, at least. Thanks!

-swiss

Date: June 20, 2016 06:49

slakka
Swiss, did you get Bob Roberts from VH1?

slakka, since that would be useful for Altamont 360° and not now--and I couldn't nail down a cop through early efforts--it will have to wait until I'm able to focus 100% of my time on Altamont 360.

thanks!
-swiss

Re: Altamont documentaries - update
Date: June 20, 2016 18:46

I found that VH1 Doccos creator in So Cal in the Bar Bee Rib biz, no kidding, so I may be able to lead you to that program.
Sorry if my eagerness to help is annoying.
slaks

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 20, 2016 20:40

This is a great project Swiss.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: June 21, 2016 02:14

slakka
I found that VH1 Doccos creator in So Cal in the Bar Bee Rib biz, no kidding, so I may be able to lead you to that program.
Sorry if my eagerness to help is annoying.
slaks

Hi Slakka,

I am very much grateful for your help, and anyone else's.

I don't know what "the Bar Bee Rib biz" is smiling smiley

I looked into the program briefly when you first mentioned it, a couple of years ago, and I'm pretty optimistic I can track down a copy on VHS and get it digitized--should the time come for that. If you, in the meantime, have a pristine digitized copy, I'd be thrilled to see it, but don't need it, per se, right now.

thanks again
-swiss

Date: June 21, 2016 02:14

JumpingKentFlash
This is a great project Swiss.

Thank you, JumpingKentFlash!

Date: August 2, 2016 21:18

Don McLean Oh, and as I watched him on the stage. My hands were clenched in fists of rage. No angel born in hell. Could break that Satan's spell

Hate to think of an Altamont doc without commentary from this guy.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: August 2, 2016 21:43

Why don't you try and speak with Bill?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 3, 2016 17:58

No one ever seems to mention the three other fans who died.
One from drowning.
Two from a hit and run.

I can't see Mick and Keith being keen on assisting with a documentary.
They (and their Management) signed up the Hells Angels.
Foolish and naive.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 3, 2016 19:24

jlowe
No one ever seems to mention the three other fans who died.
One from drowning.
Two from a hit and run.

I can't see Mick and Keith being keen on assisting with a documentary.
They (and their Management) signed up the Hells Angels.
Foolish and naive.

"The Rolling Stones never hired the Hells Angels for Altamont!
I was the exclusive representative for the tour and I never hired the Hells Angels on behalf of The Rolling Stones.
Sonny Barger said The Rolling Stones never hired The Hells Angels.
The Rolling Stones never hired the Hells Angels--That's the fact!"
bmuseed AKA Ron Schneider.
[www.iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: August 3, 2016 23:11

"The Rolling Stones never hired the Hells Angels for Altamont!
I was the exclusive representative for the tour and I never hired the Hells Angels on behalf of The Rolling Stones.
Sonny Barger said The Rolling Stones never hired The Hells Angels.
The Rolling Stones never hired the Hells Angels--That's the fact!"
bmuseed AKA Ron Schneider.
[www.iorr.org][/quote]

I posted on this thread above and Ill post again, Pete Knell interviewed on KSAN puts the Stones on the hook. And remember..PLEASE DONT SHOOT THE MESSENGER!

Date: August 4, 2016 09:04

Rollin92

Thanks for the suggestion, Rollin92.

There are 2 documentaries. The first--radio documentary, "The Night Before Altamont"--I've been intending to finish before moving too far forward with the film, Altamont 360°.

Bill wasn't there, the night before Altamont. Only Keith and Mick. So, no reason to interview Bill at this time.

Recently, I've been urged to begin fundraising in earnest for the film, Altamont 360°. People are coming forward who want to see that made.

The plan had been for "The Night Before Altamont" to stand on its own, but also to serve a fundraising tool for Altamont 360°. Without Keith---unfortunately---it doesn't appear it will function in that way, despite 20 superb interviews, and a terrific story. No "big enough names" for it to draw down funding itself. It will not die on the vine, and am editing it now to get it broadcast wherever, without Keith's contribution.

Interest in the film Altamont 360° is getting keener by the day. Bill could be someone I'll interview. There's a long list...

- swiss

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: August 4, 2016 09:14

Rollin92

In Rich Cohen's new book 'The Sun the Moon and The Rolling Stones', he claims Mick told him The Stones went on late at Altamont because Bill missed the helicopter, and had to wait for a second one.

I'd like to hear his reply to that.

Date: August 4, 2016 23:59

mosthigh
Rollin92

In Rich Cohen's new book 'The Sun the Moon and The Rolling Stones', he claims Mick told him The Stones went on late at Altamont because Bill missed the helicopter, and had to wait for a second one.

I'd like to hear his reply to that.

And I look forward to asking him -- supposedly, he was shopping in North Beach with Astrid smiling smiley

- swiss

-----PS-----> Listen up for an interview on "Now Here This" about Joel Selvin's Altamont book today!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 5, 2016 01:07

Seems incredible to believe that Bill, of all people, would be late for a gig.
Keith, yes...but not 'ol bill.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1823
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home