Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Vienna 1970 - anybody here who visited this show?
Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: June 14, 2016 17:32

Recently I found two Austrian web-sites that mentions a Stones-show on September 26 (!) in the Wiener Stadthalle - a corresponding concert poster is also displayed.

One of these sites even states that there were two shows (afternoon and evening) in front of 2 * 12,000 fans.

On every important web-site (Nico, Felix and others) the date given is the day after, Sept. 27.

Now I'm trying to find out if there were really 2 shows on Sept.26, or maybe 2 shows on the 26th and 27th or if it's all nonsense and the (only) show took place on the 27th, like commonly believed.

Just in case somebody from Vienna (older than me) is reading this and is having a few intact memories (or kept the ticket stub) please write a few words, thanks!

btw - I once had a book with xeroxed newspaper-clippings to all shows in Vienna from 1965 - 1976 (?) but I sold it more than a decade ago. Maybe someone is having this?

Re: Vienna 1970 - anybody here who visited this show?
Posted by: kitoise ()
Date: June 15, 2016 18:08

Hello Thomas,
Any front-cover papers/magazines for the 67/70/73/76 etc.... venues?
Thanks if you can post them!
Christian from Paris

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 5, 2017 11:37

Meanwhile Zentgraf has September 26 for the (only Vienna) sbow.

Posted by: raves ()
Date: December 5, 2017 11:45

Yes, I've been there - It was my first 'big' concert and of course my first Stones concert. Still got the ticket ...

Rainer

Date: December 5, 2017 11:59

The recording on the 20CD box "European Tour 1970/71" is one of the not so great recordings from 1970, but better than I expected. Probably taken from VGP-311. The box has all released 1970 concerts except Milan I and Copenhagen (although it is listed as content). The only circulating, but unreleased show is Rome (the worst recording of all).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-05 12:05 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: December 5, 2017 17:08

raves
Yes, I've been there - It was my first 'big' concert and of course my first Stones concert. Still got the ticket ...

Rainer

Would you mind to share a scan of the ticket, Rainer?

And yes Monsoon Ragoon, Nico got the date corrected cause last summer my parents visited the national library in Vienna to scan the daily papers from that time for concert reviews. They found quite a few and now (and forever ;-) ) - only ONE show, and this show took place on Saturday, the 26th September - not on Sunday (27) as even Bill has it in his book.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-05 17:09 by silkcut1978_.

Date: December 5, 2017 17:24

Date: December 5, 2017 19:21

DandelionPowderman

Yeah, this is a great item after all, despite the absense of (the especially hard to get) Copenhagen. Instead of Copenhagen there's Berlin again, but this time incomplete. Until now I listened only to the shows that were new to me and all play through, unlikely many other WLR releases. You can save much money with this release compared with the VGP/DAC prices. (My Tokyo dealer wants $55 alone for the 2CD of Vienna and Amsterdam!) Included are nearly all circulating shows/tapes of the whole tour. Unfortunately several shows are only available incomplete. The sound quality is mainly difficult, fair-good to good audience, some better (Essen), but even the worst recordings do not sound too disturbed. It's better than The Hague 1967 or Sydney 1966.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-05 21:06 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: December 14, 2017 13:11

silkcut1978_
Recently I found two Austrian web-sites that mentions a Stones-show on September 26 (!) in the Wiener Stadthalle - a corresponding concert poster is also displayed.

One of these sites even states that there were two shows (afternoon and evening) in front of 2 * 12,000 fans.

Which websites were these? Do you have links? Has anybody asked Ron Schneider to confirm?

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Date: December 14, 2017 13:25

As I wrote above I asked my parents to visit the National Library in Vienna to check the newspapers from the 20th to the 30th of September 1970.

They ALL wrote about the show on the 26th September and one gazette even points out that there were two seperate shows on afternoon and evening BUT the Stones only played in the 2nd half. That's probably the reason where (wrong) claim about two shows comes from. Found that claim on www.wienerwohnen.at about a year ago - right now I can't find it.

I've sent all the scans to Nico and he changed the date right after but it would be interesting anyway to have a scan of a ticket

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 14, 2017 13:28

I have this on my HDD in a folder marked "dubious and fake" as I've never been able to confirm if it's real or not.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: December 14, 2017 15:28

Deltics
I have this on my HDD in a folder marked "dubious and fake" as I've never been able to confirm if it's real or not.

This one has been on display at www.wienerwohnen.at - seems to be the official poster for the concert that happened - on contrary to the show from the 27th that never happened.

Funny, that even Bill Wyman has the date wrong in his book. I got a tape in the early 80s from a bootlegger here in Vienna which was stamped "26.September 1970) - still have that one. So it was "common knowledge" for quite a long time that the show took place on Saturday (26) until somebody messed it up. Will have a look at "Eat (Sh)it" and Wilfried Stember's first book tonight. I'm curious what they knew about this show in the early-/mid 80s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-14 15:29 by silkcut1978_.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: December 14, 2017 18:28

You can always count on the working man!

"Arbeiter Zeitung" dated Sept. 27th ( Sunday ) reports a concert the previous Saturday =26th !

[www.arbeiter-zeitung.at]

Date: December 14, 2017 18:58

Rank Stranger
You can always count on the working man!

"Arbeiter Zeitung" dated Sept. 27th ( Sunday ) reports a concert the previous Saturday =26th !

[www.arbeiter-zeitung.at]

Great find, thanks !

It's crazy that big gazettes like Krone or Kurier don't have an online-archive (at least not for the years way back from now). I didn't even try to look for the Arbeiter Zeitung...eye rolling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2163
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home