Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Semi OT - Rolling Stones tribute bands
Posted by: beno ()
Date: June 8, 2016 15:52

And what if the real Stones survive some of their own tribute bands? They become a tribute band of a real tribute band? :-)

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 8, 2016 16:01

In a way they are their own tribute band today, Beno. Mostly a tribute to the time span 1965-1975.

Posted by: mattstones ()
Date: June 8, 2016 17:05

I also have seen 'The Stones' twice and they were great as well.

They start off with Brian Jones and change outfits to Mick Taylor and then Ronnie.

Their Mick Taylor is a great guitar player.

I think the Rollin Clones had more humour in their performance and they just stick with Keith and Ronnie. They are better at showing the 'ancient art of weaving'.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 8, 2016 17:13

The thing is, which is probably a taboo around here, is that some tribute bands can occasionally be better than the original band. Both technically and improvisational.
Perhaps not better than the Stones a la 1972 but certainly a la 2005 and onwards.

Date: June 8, 2016 17:15

Stoneage
The thing is, which is probably a taboo around here, is that some tribute bands can occasionally be better than the original band. Both technically and improvisational.
Perhaps not better than the Stones a la 1972 but certainly a la 2005 and onwards.

They can certainly be technically superior to all eras, but that's not what this is all about.

Most band are technically superior to the Stones, btw.

Posted by: Heart for Stones ()
Date: June 8, 2016 17:56

DandelionPowderman

Do you remember what the band we saw in Oslo was called, Gregor? They were pretty good, I'd say. Great versions of GHS/IORR era stuff, if memory serves smiling smiley[/quote]

Must have been "Midnight Ramblers" from Stavanger.
Here is Street Fighting Man from their 25+1 anniversary show at
Folken, Stavanger April 22 this year:

video: [www.youtube.com]

Date: June 8, 2016 18:04

Heart for Stones
DandelionPowderman

Do you remember what the band we saw in Oslo was called, Gregor? They were pretty good, I'd say. Great versions of GHS/IORR era stuff, if memory serves smiling smiley

Must have been "Midnight Ramblers" from Stavanger.
Here is Street Fighting Man from their 25+1 anniversary show at
Folken, Stavanger April 22 this year:

video: [www.youtube.com][/quote]

It was indeed, thanks! Nice seeing you again on Lisa's show, btw smiling smiley

Posted by: Heart for Stones ()
Date: June 8, 2016 20:29

DandelionPowderman

[/quote]It was indeed, thanks! Nice seeing you again on Lisa's show, btw smiling smiley[/quote]

Yea, Nice to see you again.

All the Best!

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 8, 2016 23:25

Heart for Stones
DandelionPowderman

It was indeed, thanks! Nice seeing you again on Lisa's show, btw smiling smiley[/quote]

Yea, Nice to see you again.

All the Best![/quote]

Hi guys,

Just catching up on this thread. I met both of you separately in Oslo and yourself again in Stockholm, Heart for Stones (outside the Tele2 stadium with your Swedish friend, the day before show day).

The Midnight Ramblers were indeed very good I thought and seem to like the early 70s stuff. I'm sure they did 'If you can't rock me' and 'Star Star'. If I remember correctly they had a last minute change of female backing vocalist as their usual one was ill and I thought the replacement did very well. The perfect appetiser before seeing the real band the next day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-08 23:39 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: January 15, 2017 19:54

Stones Tribute bands in Italy
Sici

Date: January 15, 2017 19:57

I expected more Brown Sugar in Sicilia .smoking smiley

Glimmer Twins (Stones tribute band)
Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 4, 2017 18:53

I think our very own tribute band is not far behind these guys (a few more gigs, maybe add a back up singer). Amazing what they pulled off without ever playing together before. Anyway check out the Glimmer Twins: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Glimmer Twins (Stones tribute band)
Posted by: Ruskafarian ()
Date: January 5, 2017 06:24

Lots of passion and energy from these guys.

They usually play a weekend (2 nights) of gigs in April, in Ellicottville (45min SW of Buffalo - where Bernard Fowler was prior to the Stones' last gig in Buffalo).

Glimmer Twins certainly give it their all; the shows at "The Depot" are very high energy, and every one I've ever been to goes off the rails in the best possible way - a couple of years ago, the whole band (with the exception of the drummer) were on the bar, straying far from the predetermined set list and going nuts - so much fun.

The Depot is by all means worth a visit for any Stones fan - more tongue and lips than anywhere I've ever seen. Moose (owner) is a fanatic and has so much cool memorabilia as well.

Fantastic pizza too!

Anyway, I'm sure the Glimmer Twins will be at The Depot again this April - and expect it to sell out; it usually does by mid-February.

Re: Glimmer Twins (Stones tribute band)
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: January 5, 2017 08:23

Seen their show in pittsburgh a few years back. Maybe 2010 or 11 and my friend and I thought they were great. I'd go see them again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-05 08:23 by MingSubu.

Rolling Stones tribute bands
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 14, 2017 21:47

I realize it would very difficult for any band to impersonate the Stones with the flamboyant Jagger, nobody could pull that off. But the music, that can be duplicated with ease. Has anyone here seen any really good Stones tribute bands?

I would often hear about a couple bands on a Toronto radio station Q107 about some bands occasionally playing in the area but I could never get up there to see them. They would often advertise a tribute band playing a specific album note for note.

I'm kind of curious if these types of bands are prevalent in Europe, and if they are good, anyone know?

Check out this Led Zeppelin "Over the Hills and Far Away" the guy does a pretty good job:

Or "Ten Years Gone"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-14 21:54 by The Sicilian.

Re: Rolling Stones tribute bands
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 14, 2017 22:05

I think you've referenced Classic Albums Live, who cover albums "note for note, cut for cut." I saw them here at the Phoenix in 2008 performing Some Girls and it was actually really good - their lead singer and, I think, the guy who started the group, loves to do Jagger. Because their subject album is often not long enough for a concert, they follow up with other related material and, in this case, had brought Merry Clayton in as guest for the balance of the show. Seeing her sing Gimme Shelter was definitely one of those rare moments for a fan, plus she was lovely. And it WAS the Phoenix, so the place kinda oozed Stones!

As an aside, since you're a Q listener...I just read yesterday that their one-time czazy DJ Scruff Connors (Jeff Newfield) passed away last month. He was a wild man.

Date: January 14, 2017 22:07

Sorry for using Zeppelin vids,

Or "When The Levee Breaks" with a chick band Zepparella. Are these girls for real?

Date: January 14, 2017 22:17

SomeTorontoGirl
I think you've referenced Classic Albums Live, who cover albums "note for note, cut for cut." I saw them here at the Phoenix in 2008 performing Some Girls and it was actually really good - their lead singer and, I think, the guy who started the group, loves to do Jagger. Because their subject album is often not long enough for a concert, they follow up with other related material and, in this case, had brought Merry Clayton in as guest for the balance of the show. Seeing her sing Gimme Shelter was definitely one of those rare moments for a fan, plus she was lovely. And it WAS the Phoenix, so the place kinda oozed Stones!

As an aside, since you're a Q listener...I just read yesterday that their one-time czazy DJ Scruff Connors (Jeff Newfield) passed away last month. He was a wild man.

Yes TorontoGirl, that's the one. They have some good ones.

Really, I don't listen much in the winter, more so in the summer when I'm on the road. I'm kind of into talk radio or my own playlist. I would often listen to Derringer in the morning. Years ago he had partner that left, I think he would call him Craigie or something. 91.7 is a good station, I think its out of Hamilton or Fort Erie.

I really need to get back to Toronto, I want to see some museums and check out a more historic part of town. I never got to these places in my more "mature" years. We would drive up for concerts specifically the Stones, The Who or other CNE shows back in the day then drive home to Buffalo at night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-14 22:20 by The Sicilian.

Date: January 14, 2017 23:07

[Smile] Kinda like I drive to Buffalo for shows. Neil Young (couldn't get a ticket at Massey...) and Jon Stewart and Lewis Black. Whatever happened to Craigie?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 14, 2017 23:25

Rolling Stones Tribute Bands - see also here: [www.iorr.org] .

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 14, 2017 23:27

The Sicilian
I realize it would very difficult for any band to impersonate the Stones with the flamboyant Jagger, nobody could pull that off. But the music, that can be duplicated with ease.

It's actually not that easy.

Date: January 14, 2017 23:39

SomeTorontoGirl
[Smile] Kinda like I drive to Buffalo for shows. Neil Young (couldn't get a ticket at Massey...) and Jon Stewart and Lewis Black. Whatever happened to Craigie?

I don't know what happened, I heard there was a fallin out of some kind, but that was secondary. I think they were a good team. Now I hear that Derringer was not liked by a lot of people but in radio, as you know, some like ya and some don't.

BTW, did you catch Neil Young and Crazy Horse the next night after The Who played Quadrophenia? I was at both. (I think it was the Who the night before) anyways The Who sounded just great that night.

Date: January 14, 2017 23:43

Koen
The Sicilian
I realize it would very difficult for any band to impersonate the Stones with the flamboyant Jagger, nobody could pull that off. But the music, that can be duplicated with ease.

Why is that? The Stones music seems pretty straight forward, especially the early stuff.

Date: January 15, 2017 00:07

The Sicilian
I don't know what happened, I heard there was a fallin out of some kind, but that was secondary. I think they were a good team. Now I hear that Derringer was not liked by a lot of people but in radio, as you know, some like ya and some don't.

BTW, did you catch Neil Young and Crazy Horse the next night after The Who played Quadrophenia? I was at both. (I think it was the Who the night before) anyways The Who sounded just great that night.

It was Craig Venn. ... missed The Who until this year, when I was underwhelmed. Sorry I missed them in earlier years / various Farewell tours. If the gods are kind, someday I will see Neil and the Stones at Massey.

Posted by: caesar ()
Date: January 15, 2017 13:41

We have a local tribute band for the Stones here. You can watch the whole concert @
[www.nrwision.de]

Date: January 15, 2017 14:04

The Sicilian
Koen
The Sicilian

Why is that? The Stones music seems pretty straight forward, especially the early stuff.

Because their sound and style is extremely hard to duplicate (if that's what you wanna do). Another thing is that musicians always tend to wanna play more than the Stones do. It's hard to know when not to play (for the drummers and guitarists in particular). And Jagger is a unique singer/frontman.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 15, 2017 14:30

the Mike Hunt Band...

Date: January 15, 2017 17:34

crholmstrom
the Mike Hunt Band...

Has anyone seen them? eye popping smiley

Date: January 15, 2017 17:40

What was the tribute band that played the Half Moon in Putney a few years back? They were not bad.

This gang has played around here for a while but I've not seen them: [hotrocks.ca]

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: January 15, 2017 18:18

Koen
The Sicilian

I agree thats it's not easy. Why Sicilien do you say it would be easy. Do you play in a band?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home