Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Some Girls and thereafter...
Posted by: Tate ()
Date: June 3, 2016 15:32

I listened to the SG album on the way home from work yesterday and on the way to work this morning. I was struck how powerful that string of two-chord riff punk-ish songs are, throughout the album (songs like Lies, WTWCD, Respectable, even SG and the ending of Just My Imagination), but then the hits like Miss You and Beast of Burden are nothing like that... Very polished and radio friendly (but no less great). The entire album is just a superb listen, with the volume up. I remember I bought the LP when I was about 10 years old (1982-ish) for $.99 at a yard sale! It was my fourth Stones record. But what struck me this morning is that a mere 8 years after the release of SG, the Stones released DW, an arguably not very good record with dreadful mixing and production. DW, though, followed a similar format, with Harlem Shuffle as the first single sounding virtually nothing like the rest of the record. I have always felt like DW could have been another huge seller like SG had it just been a better performed and produced record. The songs-- especially One Hit, Fight, Had It With You-- are perfectly rolicking guitar-driven Stones songs, if you take out the stupid loud drums and out-front throaty vocals. And tracks like Back To Zero and Winning Ugly could have been more along the lines of Miss You if it weren't for the silly 80's synthy speudo-funk/dance intent. I so wish there could have been a remixed version of DW that I could listen to and actually enjoy. Anyway, SG-- it's such a great listen on a spring day with the volume up in the car. Cheers.

Re: Some Girls and thereafter...
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 4, 2016 02:45

its a good album if a little overrated, but an important album at that time as it showed the stones could compete in a very competitive environment with much younger musicians which were influenced by a younger audience.

respectable
shattered
some girls
far away eyes
before they make me run

are the 5 best on the album

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: June 4, 2016 04:52

"Some Girls" is freaking spectacular, from top to bottom, inside cover to outside cover, to the threatened lawsuits, to redone covers, the singles, the radio play, the extended dance mixes, the live tour they played for it, to the variety of genres of music on it, to the humor, the vibe, the rock, the roll, the sales, the outraged feminists, the punks, ballads, rockers, the life and times... Some Girls is one of the best albums of all time... and still can never remember their names, but you know what kind of eyes she got

I was driving home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield
Listening to gospel music on the colored radio station
And the preacher said, "You know you always have the Lord by your side"
And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
Twenty red lights in his honor
Thank you Jesus, Thank you Lord

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 4, 2016 05:32

All the Pathé-Marconi albums (Some Girls - Emotional Rescue - Tattoo You - Undercover - Dirty Work) are great. They all have this feeling of a band playing together and most of the time the songs are good. That's the Stones at their best IMO.
Dirty Work could surely benefit from a remix with less emphasis on the drums.
Possibly the weaker of them is Tattoo You because of the way it was done.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 4, 2016 07:35

jambay
"Some Girls" is freaking spectacular, from top to bottom, inside cover to outside cover, to the threatened lawsuits, to redone covers, the singles, the radio play, the extended dance mixes, the live tour they played for it, to the variety of genres of music on it, to the humor, the vibe, the rock, the roll, the sales, the outraged feminists, the punks, ballads, rockers, the life and times... Some Girls is one of the best albums of all time... and still can never remember their names, but you know what kind of eyes she got

thumbs up

In my neck of the woods, Some Girls was THE soundtrack for the summer of 1978.
I remember my first listen - drinking lots of beer and smoking loads of weed with my older brother while playing the album in it's entirety repeatedly until I passed out. cool smiley

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 4, 2016 07:48

kowalski
All the Pathé-Marconi albums (Some Girls - Emotional Rescue - Tattoo You - Undercover - Dirty Work) are great. They all have this feeling of a band playing together and most of the time the songs are good. That's the Stones at their best IMO.

I don't know if I'd agree that TY is weaker. We can say that now because we know it came from so many diverse sessions, but at the time they certainly had me fooled. I thought it sounded like a very cohesive work and was surprised to find out how it was cobbled together...

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: June 4, 2016 09:25

jambay

Lovely post! thumbs up

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 4, 2016 09:38

buttons67
its a good album if a little overrated, but an important album at that time as it showed the stones could compete in a very competitive environment with much younger musicians which were influenced by a younger audience.

respectable
shattered
some girls
far away eyes
before they make me run

are the 5 best on the album

Yeah, those are all great but Beast of Burden is one of my three favorite songs ever.

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: June 4, 2016 09:48

"I was drivin´home early sunday mornin´ thru Bakersfield..."

You could easily run 20 red lights just listening to this great drivin´companion.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: June 4, 2016 13:56

TY is much better IMO

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 4, 2016 14:25

Monsoon Ragoon
TY is much better IMO

Yes indeed.

If you´d consider SG, TY & ER a trilogy, ER would be the best.

Date: June 4, 2016 16:41

DandelionPowderman
jambay

Lovely post! thumbs up
smiling smiley

smileys with beerDP

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 4, 2016 18:10

HMS
Monsoon Ragoon
TY is much better IMO

Yes indeed.

It isn't a "trilogy" at all, because TY was cobbled together mostly from studio leftovers from the past decade, and the fact that the outcome was so much stronger than the last album of (nearly) all-new material - ER, of course - is telling and a clear indication that the Stones new-found creativity with SG was already beginning to dry.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 4, 2016 18:19

IMo, ER is much more creative than SG.
It has better songs throughout, the only outstanding songs on SG are Beast Of Burden and the title track, everything else seems rather so-so or subpar to me.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 4, 2016 18:39

HMS
It has better songs throughout, the only outstanding songs on SG are Beast Of Burden and the title track, everything else seems rather so-so or subpar to me.

Oh, I see... Well, then... I'm afraid I can't help you.

Date: June 4, 2016 18:39

Every Stones album and Stones song has had someone somewhere rag on it as being "not that good". Like that time that one person said ""Jumping Jack Flash" is not that good of song". It is not even worth debating... it is just a bunch of opinions, none of them worth more than another... which is why there is Strawberry, Vanilla and Chocolate ice cream.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 4, 2016 21:39

everything from SG on until DW was really good....then the wheels fell of the bus.

Date: June 4, 2016 23:20

Well, to me Terrifying, Continental Drift and Almost Hear You Sigh are better than most of the songs on SG, ER and TY.

Complex, innit? smiling smiley

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: June 4, 2016 23:35

a stones album cranked LOUD & tons of weed. how could you live any other way.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 5, 2016 00:27

mmmmm Under The Radar always goes undetected ... ???

You've been my jewel
I've been your fool
All along
What will you do
What will you do
When I'm gone?... Yeah!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 5, 2016 00:32

jambay
Every Stones album and Stones song has had someone somewhere rag on it as being "not that good". Like that time that one person said ""Jumping Jack Flash" is not that good of song". It is not even worth debating... it is just a bunch of opinions, none of them worth more than another... which is why there is Strawberry, Vanilla and Chocolate ice cream.[/quote

Excellent point. Taste is subjective, and one man's crap is another man's treasure; who has the right to judge?

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: June 5, 2016 01:22

HonkeyTonkFlash
jambay
Every Stones album and Stones song has had someone somewhere rag on it as being "not that good". Like that time that one person said ""Jumping Jack Flash" is not that good of song". It is not even worth debating... it is just a bunch of opinions, none of them worth more than another... which is why there is Strawberry, Vanilla and Chocolate ice cream.

Excellent point. Taste is subjective, and one man's crap is another man's treasure; who has the right to judge?
smileys with beer

SO RESPECTABLE!!!
YEAH WE'RE SO RESPECTABLE!!

Well now we're pillars of society
We don't worry about the things that we used to be

Well now we're respected in society
We don't worry about the things that we used to be
We're talking heroin with the president

I dare anyone to crank this up and...
just (try to) keep from smiling and/or keep your body parts still

[www.youtube.com]

SO RESPECTABLE!!!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 5, 2016 02:03

Tate
I listened to the SG album on the way home from work yesterday and on the way to work this morning. I was struck how powerful that string of two-chord riff punk-ish songs are, throughout the album (songs like Lies, WTWCD, Respectable, even SG and the ending of Just My Imagination), but then the hits like Miss You and Beast of Burden are nothing like that... Very polished and radio friendly (but no less great). The entire album is just a superb listen, with the volume up. I remember I bought the LP when I was about 10 years old (1982-ish) for $.99 at a yard sale! It was my fourth Stones record. But what struck me this morning is that a mere 8 years after the release of SG, the Stones released DW, an arguably not very good record with dreadful mixing and production. DW, though, followed a similar format, with Harlem Shuffle as the first single sounding virtually nothing like the rest of the record. I have always felt like DW could have been another huge seller like SG had it just been a better performed and produced record. The songs-- especially One Hit, Fight, Had It With You-- are perfectly rolicking guitar-driven Stones songs, if you take out the stupid loud drums and out-front throaty vocals. And tracks like Back To Zero and Winning Ugly could have been more along the lines of Miss You if it weren't for the silly 80's synthy speudo-funk/dance intent. I so wish there could have been a remixed version of DW that I could listen to and actually enjoy. Anyway, SG-- it's such a great listen on a spring day with the volume up in the car. Cheers.

There's no argument. It's the worst thing they've ever released.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 5, 2016 02:05

alimente
HMS
Monsoon Ragoon
TY is much better IMO

Yes indeed.

It isn't a "trilogy" at all, because TY was cobbled together mostly from studio leftovers from the past decade, and the fact that the outcome was so much stronger than the last album of (nearly) all-new material - ER, of course - is telling and a clear indication that the Stones new-found creativity with SG was already beginning to dry.

TATTOO YOU was not mostly cobbled together from studio leftovers, it is entirely put together from studio leftovers.

Date: June 5, 2016 02:54

GasLightStreet
alimente
HMS
Monsoon Ragoon
TY is much better IMO

Yes indeed.

TATTOO YOU was not mostly cobbled together from studio leftovers, it is entirely put together from studio leftovers.

Mostly with tracks from sessions at Pathe Marconi over a two year period, hence it's got a cohesive sound reminiscent of those two other albums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-05 10:47 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 5, 2016 03:52

HonkeyTonkFlash
kowalski

I don't know if I'd agree that TY is weaker. We can say that now because we know it came from so many diverse sessions, but at the time they certainly had me fooled. I thought it sounded like a very cohesive work and was surprised to find out how it was cobbled together...

Because it's made of leftovers I find it falls apart half way through. Side 2 is really Jagger's show. In restrospect I find Emotional Rescue and Undercover more interesting and fresh. And the band is playing so tight on them.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: June 5, 2016 04:51

Emotional Rescue is weak. I only like about 3 songs on it and Emotional Rescue is not one of them. Let Me Go is the best song on it in my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-05 04:54 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 5, 2016 05:28

HMS

I almost choked on my Meyer lemon scone when k read this

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: June 5, 2016 05:30

I agree with Kowalski. ER and UC are among my most favorites.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: June 5, 2016 06:02

I think of SG and ER as part of the same package -- SG a better album but ER still a fun listen.
TYou was a compilation, sort of a best of the vault release. How they got it to sound some crisp and consistent is a tribute to whoever mixed it.
DW -- I think Keith believed it could have been a good album had Mick come in with his normal contributions.
The albums after that had their ups and downs, but one thing I give them credit for is I believe they did give it their best shot every time to put together a good album. Been listening to more of the later stuff lately and finding a lot of it was better than I thought.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1528
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home