Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
TOUR MEMORIES: Tour of Europe 1976
Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: June 2, 2016 15:21

40 years ago the Rolling Stones were touring Europe. What are your memories of this tour?

Pictures and stories welcome.

Re: TOUR MEMORIES: Tour of Europe 1976
Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: June 2, 2016 16:07

It was really great, I remember those shows in Paris (june 5 and 6) just like it's yesterday ...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 2, 2016 16:10

Leicester & Knebworth.

Some great memories there for sure >grinning smiley<

[Knebworth was the longest and most tiring day of my then young life ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-02 16:12 by Spud.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: June 2, 2016 16:18

Dortmund--frankfurt--münster( 2 Shows) just great!

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: June 2, 2016 16:21

I was 13 years old when I went to see them at the Stadthalle in Vienna. To be honest I don't remember that much apart from that the Stones were pretty late and that I sold a few of my silver and golden coins (with a little help from my parents) the day after. Then I went to 2 record shops in Vienna and bought what was availabletongue sticking out smiley

When I went to the show I only had "High Tide And Green Grass" on tape and Jumpin' jack Flash as a single. I was impressed by the show but kind of sad because they didn't play any of the songs from Big Hits 1 (except for "Cloud" but I think I didn't even notice that it was the same song).

1 or 2 years later I've learned a girl which told me that the Stones spent quite a few days in Vienna after the show. She played Tennis with Keith and saved an empty bottle of Jack Daniel's from his suite. She also took a few pics of Mick, Keith (and I think) Bill on the Kärntner Strasse in the first district. Should have those pics somewhere around - maybe I can post them later.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 2, 2016 16:30

The Hague, Zuiderpark, May 29.
My First Stones concert !!! I went with my brother, who turned me onto the Stones !!! we were a long distance from the Stage. The supportacts were too many, as i remember. I was 16 years old, and the Show blew me away. From then on, i was a Stones Addict .

Dont remember much how the show was performed, song by song. But i will NEVER forget this first Stones gig. !!!

Jeroen

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 2, 2016 17:31

I remember the postal ticket lottery and my amazement that both my friend and I got tickets. Went to two London shows--while I was out at one, my cat (Little Queenie) had two kittens and we called them Mick and Keith. Happy days! smiling smiley And great shows, I remember a trainload of people afterwards singing Starf*cker at top volume.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 2, 2016 17:34

Five nights at Earl's Court and then that incredible day at Knebworth.

I've told this story before on here but I don't mind recalling it again as it was a very happy time for me.

1976 was an immense year - not so much for album releases but for live shows, at least in the UK and Europe. Early in the year we had Neil Young touring his fantastic Zuma album. The Who also did a short European tour and I went to see them both nights in Paris at the Pont du Pantins.

Then Patti Smith came over for two concerts at the Round House that helped kick start punk in the UK and a week later it was The Rolling Stones at Earl's Court.

Needless to say that tickets sold out within hours. Until about 1974 fans would have to queue outside a venue to get tickets for future shows. But around 75 - the Zeppelin shows at Earl's Ct - it was tickets by postal application only.

I managed to get tickets for two nights but they were on the side and not particularly great seats. But after attending the first night there was no way I wanted to miss any of the others so I hung around outside the venue with a gang of fans and we managed to force a side door open and get in for free on another night. You could never get away with that these days.

During the set gigs there was a rumour that Jeff Beck was to play a rare show at the Roundhouse and for that I missed one of the Stones' shows.

For the 5th night I saw a girl I'd met at the two Who shows in Paris who was working for the firm doing security at the gigs, Sturico.

They were recruiting students to help them police the shows and I got in that way, donning a sturico t-shirt. Just before they came on I moved as near to the front of the stage as I could directing peole to their seats and then bag, as the first chords of Honky Tonk Women started, I took off the Sturico t-shirt and stayed in the front section. I also had my camera with me and got some cool shots.

The final night was the best of the lot. I had a dreaded appointment at the dentist in the morning where I was drilled for over an hour to have crowns fitted. The only thing that got me through was hoping that I would get in to see my heroes for the show. As it happened I ran into my Sturico friend again and she actually let me and a mate into the venue and told us to go to the top of the building and wait until showtime and then mingle with the crowd.

This we did - me still reeling from the novocaine injection I'd had at the dentist and at about 5ish, the Stones came on to rehearse a few numbers. One of them was Sympathy For The Devil which they played that night as an encore.

People can say what they like about the Stones on that tour but to me they were absolutely brilliant.

For Knebworth, we went up the night before and camped outside the palatial grounds and got a good march on many people when the gates opened at 11am. I'd brought a cassette recorder along and taped Todd Rundgren, Hot Tuna and the Stones. Got a great quality tape of the Stones and one day this will surface!

It was such a great day, extremes of temperature in the hot August sun and the chilly evening night when the temperature really dropped in that lovely Hertfordshire valley (just about five miles away from where I am sitting right now!). Legend has it that my mates and I got through 100 spliffs during the 30 or so hours we were camped out there. Ha ha!

The Stones were so late that they didn't finish until nearly 1.30am and all the trains had gone for the night. So we walked to the station and half way there all fell asleep under a nice tree.

A few weeks later I was watching the Bill Grundy Show on TV and, well the world turned from colour to black and white and music was never the same again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-02 17:38 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 2, 2016 17:38

Silver Dagger

People can say what they like about the Stones on that tour but to me they were absolutely brilliant.

I bet they were brilliant. I mean who isn't brilliant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-02 17:40 by stanlove.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 2, 2016 18:04

I was at one of the great Stones concerts in the Zuiderpark in the Hague in 1976.

Date: June 2, 2016 18:10

runaway
I was at one of the great Stones concerts in the Zuiderpark in the Hague in 1976.

Here's some footage from Holland 76.

Date: June 2, 2016 18:16

Silver Dagger thanks for posting the clips and as always for your great comments, I moved into the tribune during the concert cause the GA was getting pretty rough and I had a better view.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 2, 2016 18:34

runaway
Silver Dagger thanks for posting the clips and as always for your great comments, I moved into the tribune during the concert cause the GA was getting pretty rough and I had a better view.

Yeah, i remember the Dutch Hells Angels got into a fight with police and the audience.
This is true!!!

jeroen

Date: June 2, 2016 18:40

corriecas
runaway

Yeah, i remember the Dutch Hells Angels got into a fight with police and the audience.
This is true!!!

jeroen

that's all true and thats why I moved to higher grounds to dance the whole concert

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 2, 2016 18:41

Silver Dagger
Five nights at Earl's Court and then that incredible day at Knebworth.

For Knebworth, we went up the night before and camped outside the palatial grounds and got a good march on many people when the gates opened at 11am. I'd brought a cassette recorder along and taped Todd Rundgren, Hot Tuna and the Stones. Got a great quality tape of the Stones and one day this will surface!

It was such a great day, extremes of temperature in the hot August sun and the chilly evening night when the temperature really dropped in that lovely Hertfordshire valley (just about five miles away from where I am sitting right now!). Legend has it that my mates and I got through 100 spliffs during the 30 or so hours we were camped out there. Ha ha!

The Stones were so late that they didn't finish until nearly 1.30am and all the trains had gone for the night. So we walked to the station and half way there all fell asleep under a nice tree.
...quote

I kipped on a luggage trolley on the station platform thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-02 18:43 by Spud.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: June 2, 2016 18:43

[www.youtube.com]

Nice documentary on that tour.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 2, 2016 19:10

I went to see them at Earls Court and also Knebworth.

Kenilworth was such a hot day and I ended sleeping under a tree as well.

Im not sure if Stafford Bingley Hall was the same tour, because I went to that one as well.

Date: June 2, 2016 19:15

odean73

Im not sure if Stafford Bingley Hall was the same tour, because I went to that one as well.

Yes - that's the one where Keith got nicked after, driving down the M1 and crashing near Aylesbury. They found some acid on him which was weird as most people thought he'd stopped taking that in the 60s.

Date: June 2, 2016 19:21

Silver Dagger
odean73

Yes - that's the one where Keith got nicked after, driving down the M1 and crashing near Aylesbury. They found some acid on him which was weird as most people thought he'd stopped taking that in the 60s.

You have a better memory than me.thumbs up

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: June 2, 2016 19:26

franzk
[www.youtube.com]

Nice documentary on that tour.

I've always wondered where the rest of that footage from the Granby Hall concert is. Given what's in this film, it sounds like the second Leicester concert was a pretty good performance (at least by 1976 standards) And in any case, I would love to see/hear the version of "Key To The Highway" they did that night when Clapton joined them on stage.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-02 19:36 by stevecardi.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: June 2, 2016 19:29

odean73

Yes it was. In fact, the second Bingley Hall concert was the one KR got arrested for possession of coke and LSD after driving back from the venue to his home--his final bust before Toronto.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 2, 2016 20:09

what a nice tread ,saltoftheearth !thumbs up

In June 1976, I saw for the 1st time the Stones au Palais de Gerland, Lyon, France
I was only 15 years old, so my mother (she saw the Stones two times ) went with me and a good friend of mine;
I remember the show like if it was yesterday ; the weather was very hot but Inside the

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 2, 2016 21:02

I sure do recall being a very happy 17 year old when Love You Live came out!! Blasted that album for ages every time my parents left the house!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-02 21:29 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: June 2, 2016 21:52

Stuttgart, Neckarstadion, June 19, was the first concert ever where the played in a soccer stadium.

On charle's bithday the played at Cologne.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: June 2, 2016 21:52

silkcut1978_
She played Tennis with Keith ....

Love that one.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 2, 2016 22:15

HonkeyTonkFlash
Edit...I sure do recall being a very happy 17 year old when Love You Live came out!! Blasted that album for ages every time my parents left the house! That album was highly anticipated after having virtually worn out my copy of Get Yer Ya Ya's Out trying to quench my thirst for live Stones!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-02 22:15 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: June 2, 2016 22:32

I was there on the first night in Frankfurt, April 29th I think.

They were just terrible, almost horrendous, as I have described earlier, but they tried their best, working hard and so on.

Despite my recollections above, it was a great event and I won´t forget the gig, what with all the excitement and antipications and the first night atmosphere. To be honest, Hand of Fate sounded great and Street Fighting Man as the closing number wasn´t bad either - but I wasn´t the only one with mixed emotions, Mick Taylor not being there.

Date: June 2, 2016 23:44

Thanks for confirming the Stafford gig. I did not realise there were 2 gigs.

Date: June 3, 2016 10:11

kristian
I was there on the first night in Frankfurt, April 29th I think.

They were just terrible, almost horrendous, as I have described earlier, but they tried their best, working hard and so on.

Despite my recollections above, it was a great event and I won´t forget the gig, what with all the excitement and antipications and the first night atmosphere. To be honest, Hand of Fate sounded great and Street Fighting Man as the closing number wasn´t bad either - but I wasn´t the only one with mixed emotions, Mick Taylor not being there.

Kiel must have been the worst concert on the tour. Reportedly, Bill's bass amp broke down so the band sounded terrible. Almost half the audience left before the concert was finished.

I got the Frankfurt boot on colored vinyl only months after the concert, and it sounded just like you describe it. But on the recording, there is also no bass audible, as far as I remember.

Posted by: Koschi ()
Date: June 3, 2016 17:46

silkcut1978_
I was 13 years old when I went to see them at the Stadthalle in Vienna. To be honest I don't remember that much apart from that the Stones were pretty late and that I sold a few of my silver and golden coins (with a little help from my parents) the day after. Then I went to 2 record shops in Vienna and bought what was availabletongue sticking out smiley

When I went to the show I only had "High Tide And Green Grass" on tape and Jumpin' jack Flash as a single. I was impressed by the show but kind of sad because they didn't play any of the songs from Big Hits 1 (except for "Cloud" but I think I didn't even notice that it was the same song).

1 or 2 years later I've learned a girl which told me that the Stones spent quite a few days in Vienna after the show. She played Tennis with Keith and saved an empty bottle of Jack Daniel's from his suite. She also took a few pics of Mick, Keith (and I think) Bill on the Kärntner Strasse in the first district. Should have those pics somewhere around - maybe I can post them later.

Would be great if we could see this pics!

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2162
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home