Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What is Waddy Wachtel doing?
Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: June 3, 2016 23:00

jambay

Cool clip, seems like Joe doing his impression of Keef's Sympathy solo there around the 4 minute mark... and fun to see all the famous faces (including Keef's) as the song goes by. But Joe seems a little bored here, playing by the numbers, going through the motions, but maybe that is just his style. And good ole Waddy back there allowing the person up front to have all the spot light as he does his thing, like the master he is.

Well put and well spoken! That's exactly what it looks like. I thought Joe was drunk or something, he slowed down all the numbers. The first half of the show he did all this self-indulgent guitar shredding that I would have loved in 1976. Now it's just self-indulgent.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 31, 2020 21:08

What's Waddy doing ? Talking about his career with 6 songs (and Keith is there of course) and it's fascinating : [www.guitarplayer.com]

Oh and the Stones are there too :

"The Rolling Stones - Bridges to Babylon (1997)

“I’m honored to be one of the few guitarists not in the Rolling Stones to have played on one of their records. The guys were recording in Los Angeles for a couple of months, and next thing I knew [drummer] Jim Keltner and I were with them in the studio. I played rhythm on a couple of things. One day [producer] Don Was said, ‘On “Anybody Seen My Baby?” you’re gonna play lead.’ I was surprised: ‘Oh, really? Me? Well, okay.’

“Mick really loved the Isley Brothers song ‘That Lady’ and the phased guitar solo on it, so he mentioned it to me. I played rhythm on the whole thing, and there are some spots where I’m doing these long notes, but on the end solo that’s me playing those phased melody lines. Everybody dug it. I had a history with Keith, but it was great to get a ‘yo’ from both of the captains - him and Mick.”

Huh, I knew he was all over "Saint of Me" with that great guitar part (best one on a Stones' record since, hum...) but not that he played the solo that Keith mimed in the video. On rythm too, maybe that's why the song never really sounded "right" when played live.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-31 21:21 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: March 31, 2020 21:25

We just saw him playing on a band cruise earlier this year with his band of other major session musicians from the 60's and '70's, they call themselves The Immediate Family...it was cool to meet him and talk to him for a minute!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 31, 2020 22:03

Self-isolating, like everyone is supposed to... I'd hope!

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 1, 2020 01:19

gotdablouse
What's Waddy doing ? Talking about his career with 6 songs (and Keith is there of course) and it's fascinating : [www.guitarplayer.com]

“I’m honored to be one of the few guitarists not in the Rolling Stones to have played on one of their records. The guys were recording in Los Angeles for a couple of months, and next thing I knew [drummer] Jim Keltner and I were with them in the studio. I played rhythm on a couple of things. One day [producer] Don Was said, ‘On “Anybody Seen My Baby?” you’re gonna play lead.’ I was surprised: ‘Oh, really? Me? Well, okay.’

“Mick really loved the Isley Brothers song ‘That Lady’ and the phased guitar solo on it, so he mentioned it to me. I played rhythm on the whole thing, and there are some spots where I’m doing these long notes, but on the end solo that’s me playing those phased melody lines. Everybody dug it. I had a history with Keith, but it was great to get a ‘yo’ from both of the captains - him and Mick.”

Huh, I knew he was all over "Saint of Me" with that great guitar part (best one on a Stones' record since, hum...) but not that he played the solo that Keith mimed in the video. On rythm too, maybe that's why the song never really sounded "right" when played live.
He is a great guitarist.Love all his playing on Bridges.That solo on Anybody Seen My Baby is haunting.And I love the 3 guitar onslaught by him ,Ron and Keith on Too Tight.Great rocker,surprised Too Tight has never been played live

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-01 01:20 by Taylor1.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 1, 2020 01:30

Keith and Waddy ...
Gimme Shelter
Apollo Theater
October 23, 2015

Tribute to Merry Clayton
[www.youtube.com]

Try to ignore Keith's bum note or two, LOL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-01 01:32 by schillid.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: April 1, 2020 02:25

gotdablouse

Thanks for this. Waddy is a consistently great interview. He’s played with virtually everyone, and his memory is unfailingly detailed. I *always* learn something new from him.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: April 1, 2020 03:36

Great article interviewed by "the stones-professor Mike Koshitani" on Feb 20 is as follows.
[www.barks.jp]

Mike: "Feels Right" is straight up rock 'n' roll! This sound development reminded me of Ronnie Wood.

Waddy: This is also good rock 'n' roll. It worked well on guitar, and when I played it with the band, it was very good.
It's straight up rock 'n' roll that's perfect for playing in a band.
Yes, Ronnie.
It's also very Baby Stones-ish. Hahaha.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 1, 2020 04:05

Mr.D
We just saw him playing on a band cruise earlier this year with his band of other major session musicians from the 60's and '70's, they call themselves The Immediate Family...it was cool to meet him and talk to him for a minute!

Waddy on a cruise - can't help but think of the Poseidon Adventure and There's Got to be a Morning After...

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 1, 2020 10:53

It's just as easy to imagine him on a cruise as the rest of the stuff. I didn't hear about his legal trouble before but I take it as evidence that my creep radar just works.

Date: April 1, 2020 11:29

Nikkei
It's just as easy to imagine him on a cruise as the rest of the stuff. I didn't hear about his legal trouble before but I take it as evidence that my creep radar just works.

Waddy being aquitted, you mean?

Date: April 1, 2020 11:45

Waddy coming across like a creep to me, tu put it bluntly

Date: April 1, 2020 20:32

DandelionPowderman
Nikkei

I have read up on it... being put on probation for three years is sort of the hollywood way of doing things I guess? Not sure which point you are trying to make and why you'd feel compelled to do so

Date: April 1, 2020 20:41

Nikkei
DandelionPowderman
Nikkei

I have read up on it... being put on probation for three years is sort of the hollywood way of doing things I guess? Not sure which point you are trying to make and why you'd feel compelled to do so

No point. I don't know the guy. Now I learned that you know he's a creep.

Date: April 1, 2020 20:44

Nikkei

Oh yeah, forgot about the creepy factor....Three years’ probation...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 1, 2020 22:08

DandelionPowderman

Charges against his wife were dismissed. Waddy pleaded no contest and was placed on probation, had court-ordered therapy, and had to make a sizable donation to an organization that works to protect exploited children and teens. That's public record.

Great guitarist. Likable guy in interviews. Like many rockers (the Stones and their influences are hardly exceptions), Waddy has his share of demons he's fed. The price of fame is warts and all become transparent. Add to the fact that the perks of fame make it even easier to develop and feed all kinds of addictions. Not casting the first Stone by a long shot, but I understand the repugnance just as much as I realize anyone who actually takes a moral stand over such issues isn't still listening to the music. The rest of us are too addicted to switch off because great art is often made by terrible people.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 1, 2020 22:28

...LD was half way there... if only
she had took the time to learn to draw …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: April 2, 2020 02:30

Another interview in June, 2019.
[www.barks.jp]

Mike: The reissue of Keith Richards' "Talk Is Cheap" this year has reignited the waddy craze among die-hard rock fans.
This time around, "Mark On Me" is in a good mood. What was the first time you and Keith met?

Waddy: Probably around 1979, I went to England on Linda Ronstadt's tour at the time. Before that, Ronnie Wood and Mick Jagger were backstage after their performance at the Amphitheatre in LA.
Wow, that's awesome! I met them and hit it off right away. That's when Mick and I had our "wise men's conversation". Mick was a pretty wise guy, but I said, "F*** you!"
and said, "You like that now? I asked him, "I love it! We became very good friends with each other.
After Linda's UK show, Peter Asher was backstage this time with Keith Richards. Oh, my God, this is awesome! I walked up to him, said "Hi" and shook his hand, and then I hung out with Keith for days.
When I returned to the hotel one day, the band members (Linda's) were in the room and Keith was politely answering all of their questions.
A very nice person. We played in Germany and went back to the UK to continue the tour.
One day, the backstage door opened with a bang and Keith appeared with a bottle in one hand, but he had cut his nose and was injured.
What's wrong with you?" "I tripped and hit the speaker.
Then I spent literally three days with Keith and his band member, the late Kenny Edwards, literally three days together.
I went to his house and listened to reggae and the Stones and rock and roll records. As I was doing so, I noticed that the guitar was sitting on a stand. There is not a single string.
What's up with the guitar? Why do you leave it like that?
It's okay. That's my sound.
What, what do you mean?
That's what I'm doing.
What are you doing?
Take off the low string and put it in an open G.

Waddy: Let me share one interesting story with you.
The guitar intro to the Rolling Stones' "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" has a fuzz tone sound to it, but I've actually always loved The Ventures before.
I was hooked on "Walk, Don't Run". Of course, I know that they were very popular in Japan at that time.
Just recently, I was interviewed by Don Wilson's daughter in one of their documentaries. There was one song on Venturers' album, THE COLORFUL VENTURES, that had this fuzz tone to it.
What is it? How are you making this sound? I thought to myself. I had a small but neat Fender amp at the time and was a truant because I was too busy practicing guitar at home.
I was out in New York City one day and found it in the window of a famous music store called Manny's, a Maestro Fuzztone with a pedal on it!
This must be it, I thought. Then I did a couple of band performances for about $12-20 a pop and saved up the money to buy those fuzz tones.
When I used it in band rehearsals, I was like, "Wow, what's that," or "This is great," or "Don't use that. It sounds awful. Thus, the Maestro Fuzztone was hoarded.
However, when I was in high school, "Satisfaction" came on the radio in the car my father was driving, and oh, this is it! Fuzztone!
This is what I wanted to play, I remembered. After that, I started using fuzz tones (laughs).

Mike: You also produced "MAIN OFFENDER" with Keith and Steve.

Waddy: After I finished my performance on "TALK IS CHEAP", I wanted to get back in the studio to see how Keith was doing on the album.
When I asked Keith's manager/Jane Rose about this, she replied, "It's Keith and Steve Jordan's job.
I replied, "Because they're producing it. That's fine, of course, but I just wanted to see how they were finishing.
When I got back to the studio, Keith and Steve seemed to be watching what I was doing for a while. And "stay here".
Thus, the three of us decided to produce the next album. I was a production consultant in "TALK IS CHEAP".
MAIN OFFENDER" is produced by the three of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-02 02:32 by Toru A.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 2, 2020 02:38

ROCKMAN

Date: April 2, 2020 14:14

Very touchy topic.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 2, 2020 14:21

Yeah. I remember someone said that if there was anything "really bad" Stevie Nicks wouldn't have him around...dunno about that. I suppose that they probably established he'd "only" downloaded some pictures. Anyway he was brought to justice and was sentenced so he's "paid for it".

Still happy to have found out that he was all over ASMB, not your typical Ronnie/Keith guitar parts. It's too bad they didn't get his help for ABB too as that would probably have helped shape up the songs a bit.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: April 2, 2020 14:28

Palace Revolution 2000
Very touchy topic.

ugh

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: April 2, 2020 15:44

Nikkei
DandelionPowderman
Nikkei

I have read up on it... being put on probation for three years is sort of the Hollywood way of doing things I guess? Not sure which point you are trying to make and why you'd feel compelled to do so

I see your point. It's lucky Waddy Wachtel has money to hire a good lawyer and was acquitted on any serious charges and only had 3 years of probation and did not have to register as a sex offender...which may have had a detrimental effect on his career as a musician. He's a fine guitarist and by all accounts, a nice person.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 2, 2020 19:44

Yes, they have money to minimize repercussions of their actions. Just like Keith. Just like Mick. Just like Bill. Just like Ronnie. And on and on. They're all nice people unless you or someone you know were wronged by them.

They're also like most everyone - complex people. They're gifted, engaging, and sometimes do things that are immoral and illegal. Yes, they have the clout to walk away without facing real consequences. They also have Wikipedia pages, message boards, and news archives to always remind them, their spouses, their children, their grandchildren of how terrible they are or were and give anonymous strangers the right to publicly shame them.

Now if you say, you threw away Keith's four solo albums with Waddy, Ronnie's two solo albums with Waddy, and BRIDGES TO BABYLON because you can't knowingly support such a contemptible human being, then I'll say good for you. Until that, you're like the rest of us. We're not okay with it, but we still listen and appreciate their gifts.

Date: April 2, 2020 20:02

Evidently there's still alot of controversy and backlash from his arrest back in '98, and there probably always will be:

From as recently as 2017 on the Stevie Nicks tour:

- Waddy

- Outrage

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1996
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home