Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What is Waddy Wachtel doing?
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: May 31, 2016 04:08

Waddy is a great musician who has appeared on several Stones records, including Keith's solo CD, Crosseyed Heart. A few days ago I read that he is one of about ten other musicians backing Joe Walsh, for a concert I will be seeing on July 19 in Charleston, WV.

This made me wonder. Is he no longer helping with the Stones music, has he become a permanent musician for Joe Walsh, or is he working on several projects at once?
Also, has anyone heard if Joe's gigs are going to be the second manifestation of the Eagles (since the death of Glenn Frey) ?

Re: What is Waddy Wachtel doing?
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 31, 2016 04:44

Which Stones records did he play on?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 31, 2016 04:47

Koen

Bridges to Babylon: [waddywachtelinfo.com]

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: May 31, 2016 21:05

Koen

Not Exile.

While the Stones were recording and releasing Exile, Waddy was working the ocean liner circuit, playing on the SS Poseidon on its last voyage . . .

Most musicians wouldn't survive a disaster at sea. Just goes to show that Waddy's got some kind of perseverance.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 31, 2016 21:51

Soul Survivor!

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: May 31, 2016 21:57

Waddy has done so much with so many bands and people and movies for so long...
He is the most famous rock star most people never even heard of...

When visiting LA go see him at that bar in Santa Monica... if you care enough, look it up.

He doubt he will get hitched to any one group/person... he is a free agent and he kicks ass

I have seen Waddy live in concert so many times with many people/groups,
and most times I didn't know or expect to see him, but there he was, again.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: June 1, 2016 17:24

He's on tour with Joe Walsh. This is from last week.

Date: June 2, 2016 01:01

I saw this man playing in an adult film dated back in the eigthies. When the scripts were elaborated and the budgets large The main characters were in a disco and a rock band was playing on the stage. Waddy Wachtel was the guitar player. I remember it perfectly as the last think i would expect while watching the film was getting notice of a known musician...

strange things happen...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 2, 2016 07:58

didn't he get into trouble a few years ago for stuff on his computer?

Date: June 2, 2016 08:11

emotionalbarbecue
I saw this man playing in an adult film dated back in the eighties. When the scripts were elaborated and the budgets large The main characters were in a disco and a rock band was playing on the stage. Waddy Wachtel was the guitar player. I remember it perfectly as the last think i would expect while watching the film was getting notice of a known musician...

Interesting, do you remember the name of the movie?

I know he has extensive IMDB credits, more than most musicians... but I dont see that one.

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (TV Series) (writer - 1 episode)
- Gerard Butler/Jenny Slate/The 1975 (2016) ... (writer: "Werewolves of London" - uncredited)
2015 Regular Show (TV Series) (writer - 1 episode)
- Terror Tales of the Park V (2015) ... (writer: "Werewolves of London" )
2014 Hawaii Five-0 (TV Series) (writer - 1 episode)
- Ho'oma'ike (2014) ... (writer: "Werewolves of London" - uncredited)
2014 Supernatural (TV Series) (writer - 1 episode)
- Paper Moon (2014) ... (writer: "Werewolves of London" - uncredited)
2014 The 2014 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony (TV Movie) (performer: "Different Drum", "Blue Bayou", "You're No Good", "It's So Easy", "When Will I Be Loved", "Father and Son", "Wild World", "Peace Train" )
2014 Glee (TV Series) (writer - 1 episode)
- Old Dog, New Tricks (2014) ... (writer: "Werewolves of London" - uncredited)
2014 Grimm (TV Series) (writer - 1 episode)
- The Show Must Go On (2014) ... (writer: "Werewolves of London" )
2013 Jimi: All Is by My Side (performer: "Future Trip", "My Heart is Bleedin'" a/k/a "My Bleedin' Heart", "Wha Shuffle", "Waddania", "Hound Dog", "Scotch Solo", "Linda's Gift", "Warm Milk", "Manish Boy", "Birdland", "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", "Wild Thing" ) / (writer: "Wha Shuffle", "Waddania", "Scotch Solo", "Warm Milk", "Birdland" )
2013 Grown Ups 2 (writer: "Werewolves of London" - as Robert "Waddy' Wachtel')
2012 One Hit Wonderland (TV Series documentary) (writer - 2 episodes)
- Come on Eileen (2012) ... (writer: "All Summer Long" )
- Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas (2012) ... (writer: "Werewolves of London" )
2011 Dancing with the Stars (TV Series) (writer - 1 episode)
- Round Seven (2011) ... (writer: "Werewolves of London" )
2011 EastEnders (TV Series) (writer - 1 episode)
- Episode dated 1 August 2011 (2011) ... (writer: "Werewolves of London" - uncredited)
2011 Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star (performer: "Don't Be Long" ) / (writer: "Don't Be Long" )
2010 20 to 1 (TV Series documentary) (writer - 1 episode)
- Greatest Sports Movies of All Time (2010) ... (writer: "Werewolves of London" - uncredited)
2010 Community (TV Series) (writer - 1 episode)
- Physical Education (2010) ... (writer: "Werewolves of London" - uncredited)
2009 Californication (TV Series) (writer - 1 episode)
- Slow Happy Boys (2009) ... (writer: "Werewolves of London" - uncredited)
2008 My Name Is Earl (TV Series) (writer - 1 episode)
- Little Bad Voodoo Brother (2008) ... (writer: "Werewolves of London" )
2008 Strange Wilderness (performer: "Strange Wilderness Instrumental", "Gypsy Woman" ) / (writer: "Strange Wilderness Instrumental", "Gypsy Woman" )
2006 Hoot (writer: "Werewolves of London" )
2006 The Benchwarmers (performer: "The Apologies" ) / (writer: "The Apologies" )
2005 North Country (writer: "Werewolves Of London" )
2001 Joe Dirt (producer: "Pick Me Up When I Fall", "Italian Gangsters" ) / (writer: "Pick Me Up When I Fall", "Italian Gangsters" )
1998 The Waterboy (writer: "New Year's Eve" )
1998 Radio Arrow (writer: "Werewolves of London" )
1997 Mystery Science Theater 3000 (TV Series) (writer - 1 episode)
- The Thing That Couldn't Die (1997) ... (writer: "Werewolves of London" - as Robert "Waddy" Wachtel, uncredited)
1995 Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead (writer: "Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead" - as Woody Wachtel)
1993 The Larry Sanders Show (TV Series) (writer - 1 episode)
- Off Camera (1993) ... (writer: "Werewolfes Of London" )
1990 Cry-Baby (writer: "DOIN' TIME FOR BEIN' YOUNG" )
1989 Road House (producer: "Don't Throw Stones", "Savoire Faire" )
1988 Permanent Record (producer: "Wishing on Another Lucky Star" )
1988 Satisfaction (producer: " (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" )
1986 The Color of Money (writer: "Werewolves of London" - as Robert Wachtel)
1978 Up in Smoke (music: "Strawberry's", "Here Come the Mounties to the Rescue", "Rock Fight" )

Composer (11 credits)
2013 Jimi: All Is by My Side
2011/I Jack and Jill
2011 Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star
2009 Paul Blart: Mall Cop (music by)
2008 The House Bunny
2008 Strange Wilderness
2006/I The Last Request
2006 The Benchwarmers
2006 Grandma's Boy
2003 Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star
2001 Joe Dirt

Music department (8 credits)
2014 The 2014 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony (TV Movie) (musician: guitar)
2013 Jimi: All Is by My Side (musician: guitars)
2011 Buddy Holly: Listen to Me - The Ultimate Buddy Party (TV Movie) (musical director)
2006 Best of Chris Isaak (Video) (musician)
1998 Hurlyburly (musician: guitars)
1979 North Dallas Forty (musician: guitar - uncredited)
1978 Up in Smoke (songs: New Music by)
1978 FM (musician: guitar, Linda Ronstadt concert sequence)

Actor (4 credits)
2004 Yes, Dear (TV Series)
'Jailhouse Rock' Guitarist
- Greg and Jimmy's Criminals (2004) ... 'Jailhouse Rock' Guitarist (uncredited)
1998 The Drew Carey Show (TV Series)
Guitarist
- Drew Between the Rock and a Hard Place (1998) ... Guitarist
1988 The I'm Exhausted Concert (TV Movie)
Jesus Christ
1972 The Poseidon Adventure
Crump - Guitarist #1 (uncredited)

Self (14 credits)
King of the Sidemen (Documentary) (post-production)
Himself (rumored)
2015 Keith Richards: Under the Influence (Documentary)
Himself
2013 Stevie Nicks: In Your Dreams (Documentary)
Vampire
2011 Family Band: The Cowsills Story (Documentary)
Himself
2001-2008 Late Show with David Letterman (TV Series)
Himself - Musical Support / Himself
- Episode #16.59 (2008) ... Himself - Musical Support
- Episode dated 3 May 2001 (2001) ... Himself
2008 Soundstage (TV Series documentary)
Himself - Guitar
- Stevie Nicks: Part 2 (2008) ... Himself - Guitar
1996 The Life and Times of the Everly Brothers (TV Movie documentary)
Himself
1993 Keith Richards and the X-Pensive Winos: Live in Boston (Video)
Himself
1991 Keith Richards and the X-pensive Winos Live at the Hollywood Palladium - December 15, 1988 (Video)
Himself
1991 Late Night with David Letterman (TV Series)
Himself
- Episode dated 29 October 1991 (1991) ... Himself
1988 Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color (TV Series)
Himself
- Rock 'n' Roll Mom (1988) ... Himself
1987 Stevie Nicks: Live at Red Rocks (Video documentary)
Himself
1982 Stevie Nicks in Concert (TV Movie)
Himself-Guitar
1979 Saturday Night Live (TV Series)
Himself
- Michael Palin/James Taylor (1979) ... Himself (uncredited)

Date: June 2, 2016 08:57

For anyone who might not know the history of Waddy, this is an interesting RS article. [www.rollingstone.com]

By 1979, guitarist Waddy Wachtel thought he'd seen everything. He had shown up for morning studio sessions to find Warren Zevon already wasted; he'd seen California Gov. Jerry Brown, Linda Ronstadt's then-boyfriend, retreat from a room of stoned rockers after unexpectedly popping into one of Ronstadt's sessions; he'd walked offstage after playing with Carole King and into a brawl with her boyfriend. But he wasn't quite prepared for the strange, vexing behavior of James Taylor...

...The hints of trouble began before the first show. Toasting the musicians and the tour at a local bar in Texas, Taylor downed...much much more about the times, people and players

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 2, 2016 10:47

camper88

While the Stones were recording and releasing Exile, Waddy was working the ocean liner circuit, playing on the SS Poseidon on its last voyage . . .

That's h-i-l-a-r-i-o-u-s. >grinning smiley< thumbs up

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 2, 2016 21:19

One of my favorite non-Stones concerts - believe it or not - was Linda Ronstadt on her Get Closer Tour in the early eighties. She had a smoking good band with Waddy at the helm. I think they opened with Tumbling Dice and they were just nailing every tune. Lee Sklar was also great on bass. I saw her years later with a different band and you could just hear and feel the huge hole where Waddy's guitar needed to be. Also glad to have seen him twice with the Winos...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-02 21:29 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: June 2, 2016 21:51

HonkeyTonkFlash
One of my favorite non-Stones concerts - beleve it or not - was Linda Ronstadt on her Get Closer Tour in the early eighties. She had a smoking good band with Waddy at the helm. I think they opened with Tumbling Dice and they were just nailing every tune. Lee Sklar was also great on bass. I saw her years later with a different band and you could just hear and feel the huge hole where Waddy's guitar needed to be. Also glad to have seen him twice with the Winos...
The first time I ever saw or even heard of Waddy was on Linda's Simple Dreams tour. We accidentally obtained the best possible seats ever. We were front row, center section, 8 feet left of where Linda stood (right in front of Waddy) in a small 3000 seat hall where the stage was 5 foot tall. We were 3-7 feet away from Waddy the whole night. The show was amazing. Linda was amazing. Waddy was spectacular. I remember it like it was last week. I can still clearly see Linda up there shaking swaying her hips, cutey shortish hair style, singing her lungs out and smiling... and smiling. She was so pretty and very sexy.

I thought we were in for a mellow peaceful easy feeling somewhat-boring concert (my buddy and I took dates). It wasn't a Deep Purple or Kiss type of rock show, but it was far from a mellow yellow snooze fest. Waddy and Linda had high energy and kicked ass playing though amazing songs.

I used to obtain up close tickets (one way or another) all the time back then (for $5-7 bucks a ticket) and I loved exchanging smiles with the stars. We showed our appreciation and they played greater and we smiled more and they smiled back and we all had so much fun together.

That night I became an instant Waddy fan and there after kept seeing him and hearing seeing him and seeing hearing him everywhere with so many people. That bushy blonde hair, John Denver glasses and playing his killer guitar parts like a master.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-02 21:59 by jambay.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: June 2, 2016 21:57

treaclefingers
didn't he get into trouble a few years ago for stuff on his computer?

He did indeed.

Date: June 2, 2016 21:58

jambay
HonkeyTonkFlash
One of my favorite non-Stones concerts - beleve it or not - was Linda Ronstadt on her Get Closer Tour in the early eighties. She had a smoking good band with Waddy at the helm. I think they opened with Tumbling Dice and they were just nailing every tune. Lee Sklar was also great on bass. I saw her years later with a different band and you could just hear and feel the huge hole where Waddy's guitar needed to be. Also glad to have seen him twice with the Winos...
The first time I ever saw or even heard of Waddy was on Linda's Simple Dreams tour. We accidentally obtained the best possible seats ever. We were front row, center section, 8 feet left of where Linda stood (right in front of Waddy) in a small 3000 seat hall where the stage was 5 foot tall. The show was amazing. Linda was amazing. Waddy was spectacular. I remember it like it was last week. I can still clearly see Linda up there shaking swaying her hips, cutey shortish hair style, singing her lungs out and smiling... and smiling. She was so pretty and very sexy.

I thought we were in for a mellow peaceful easy feeling somewhat-boring concert (my buddy and I took dates). It wasn't a Deep Purple of Kiss rock show, but it was far from a mellow yellow snooze fest. Waddy and Linda had high energy and kicked ass playing though amazing songs.

I used to obtain up close tickets (one way or another) all the time back then (for $5-7 bucks a ticket) and I loved exchanging smiles with the stars. We showed our appreciation and they played greater and we smiled more and they smiled back and we all had so much fun together.

That night I became an instant Waddy fan and there after kept seeing him and hearing seeing him and seeing hearing him everywhere with so many people. That bushy blonde hair, John Denver glasses and playing his killer guitar parts like a master.
Yes, actually Linda Ronstadt was how I first heard of and discovered Waddy. Also enjoyed seeing him hold down a fine band for Stevie Nicks in that same era...

Date: June 2, 2016 22:04

HonkeyTonkFlash
jambay
HonkeyTonkFlash
The first time I ever saw or even heard of Waddy was on Linda's Simple Dreams tour. We accidentally obtained the best possible seats ever. We were front row, center section, 8 feet left of where Linda stood (right in front of Waddy) in a small 3000 seat hall where the stage was 5 foot tall. We were 3-7 feet away from Waddy the whole night. The show was amazing. Linda was amazing. Waddy was spectacular. I remember it like it was last week. I can still clearly see Linda up there shaking swaying her hips, cutey shortish hair style, singing her lungs out and smiling... and smiling. She was so pretty and very sexy.

I thought we were in for a mellow peaceful easy feeling somewhat-boring concert (my buddy and I took dates). It wasn't a Deep Purple or Kiss type of rock show, but it was far from a mellow yellow snooze fest. Waddy and Linda had high energy and kicked ass playing though amazing songs.

Yes, actually Linda Ronstadt was how I first heard of and discovered Waddy. Also enjoyed seeing him hold down a fine band for Stevie Nicks in that same era...
smileys with beer

Those women know how to rock. I love rock and roll women from Linda to Stevie to Joan to Courtney to Lita to the Wilson sisters... WOW!!! I love rock and roll women.

Date: June 2, 2016 22:11

jambay
HonkeyTonkFlash
jambay
HonkeyTonkFlash

smileys with beer

Those women know how to rock. I love rock and roll women from Linda to Stevie to Joan to Courtney to Lita to the Wilson sisters... WOW!!! I love rock and roll women.

Cheers! I have a great love for the women of rock and roll myself! Linda was a babe back in the day! I also love all those you mentioned; especially the ladies of Heart! Nancy is a favorite of mine! Sheryl Crow is a more recent crush! smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-02 22:21 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: June 2, 2016 22:45

HonkeyTonkFlash
jambay
HonkeyTonkFlash
jambay
HonkeyTonkFlash

smileys with beer

Cheers! I have a great love for the women of rock and roll myself! Linda was a babe back in the day! I also love all those you mentioned; especially the ladies of Heart! Nancy is a favorite of mine! Sheryl Crow is a more recent crush! smileys with beer
indubitably... I had a huge crush on Sheryl Crow for a while... then she went all countrysad smiley... but for several Sheryl tours in a row I was there, up close and having fun, like Steve McQueen on a fast machine, she made made everything all right

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-02 22:46 by jambay.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: June 2, 2016 23:31

jambay
HonkeyTonkFlash

Forgot to add Linda to my list of artists I regret not seeing live in the other thread...by the time I started regularly attending concerts, she was pretty much done with her rock n roll tours, having moved on to her Nelson Riddle albums.

I think this is from the Simple Dreams tour (or around that time)...Waddy's with her, and she's got the shortish hair:

video: [youtu.be]

Date: June 2, 2016 23:50

Jah Paul
jambay
HonkeyTonkFlash

Forgot to add Linda to my list of artists I regret not seeing live in the other thread...by the time I started regularly attending concerts, she was pretty much done with her rock n roll tours, having moved on to her Nelson Riddle albums.

I think this is from the Simple Dreams tour (or around that time)...Waddy's with her, and she's got the shortish hair:

Nice! Maybe we should start an OT thread of hot rock babe photos and videos! Hint, hint....

Date: June 2, 2016 23:55

Jah Paul
jambay
HonkeyTonkFlash

WOW!!! What a clip!! GOOSEBUMPS!!!
When she looks over to the left (her right) in that clip... that is exactly how she looked over at me (totally me and only me)(yeah I know, just my imagination running away...) (but still) when we were in the front row she did exactly that look over at me us. That clip gave me goosebumps bringing back good memories. HOLY MOLY her singing, her voice. And Waddys playing. How do they do that? That is not really a rock and roll song but it totally rocks. Her voice... and she is so pretty...

Linda such a cutie pie. I am in lurve all over again.

But yes, then sadly Linda "went away" and did other things and that was that... sigh sad smiley much like most things in life... except for my Rolling Stones. Which is why I am such a devotee of my band. They have never let me down for years and years and years and still... My Stones still Roll. They keep on keeping on. One of the few things in life that... you know.

And of course Waddy is still out there kicking ass... which is cool.

Date: June 3, 2016 00:49

I came across that video a while ago - it's really a great performance. Love the way she sings the "When Cupid shot his dart" part (1:50 mark).

I remember taping her 1982 Thanksgiving night concert off the radio during the Get Closer tour. Really wish I had seen her that tour, as I had no idea she would be going on to other genres.

Still have those old cassettes from that concert, residing in the same box with my Stones Hampton Roads tapes from December '81!

Date: June 3, 2016 01:05

Jah Paul
I came across that video a while ago - it's really a great performance. Love the way she sings the "When Cupid shot his dart" part (1:50 mark).

I remember taping her 1982 Thanksgiving night concert off the radio during the Get Closer tour. Really wish I had seen her that tour, as I had no idea she would be going on to other genres.

Still have those old cassettes from that concert, residing in the same box with my Stones Hampton Roads tapes from December '81!

Yes!! I used to have a tape of that radio concert as well!! I played it to death back then! Then it got stolen......moody smiley

Date: June 3, 2016 01:31

Jah Paul - <I remember taping her 1982 Thanksgiving night concert off the radio during the Get Closer tour. Really wish I had seen her that tour, as I had no idea she would be going on to other genres.>

Actually, I think that was her last real rock and roll tour. She came back around 1990, doing many of those old songs, but as I've mentioned before, the Waddy-less band had a huge gaping aural hole...

Date: June 3, 2016 01:55

HonkeyTonkFlash
Actually, I think that was her last real rock and roll tour. She came back around 1990, doing many of those old songs, but as I've mentioned before, the Waddy-less band had a huge gaping aural hole...

Yup, she finished off the Get Closer tour with a few east coast dates in July '83, but that was it. In fact, by that time, she had already recorded "What's New" with Nelson Riddle, which would come out that fall. Her rock and roll performances were few and far between after that.

Always wanted to hear her sing Willin' in person - my favorite song of hers, written by the great Lowell George.

Date: June 3, 2016 16:34

I can not remember. It's been decades since I watched it...and those kind of films are not chosen becouse of their titles aren't they?...grinning smiley

Date: June 3, 2016 16:35

jambay
emotionalbarbecue
I saw this man playing in an adult film dated back in the eighties. When the scripts were elaborated and the budgets large The main characters were in a disco and a rock band was playing on the stage. Waddy Wachtel was the guitar player. I remember it perfectly as the last think i would expect while watching the film was getting notice of a known musician...

Interesting, do you remember the name of the movie?

Answer:I can not remember. It's been decades since I watched it...and those kind of films are not chosen becouse of their titles aren't they?...grinning smiley

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: June 3, 2016 21:05

Date: June 3, 2016 22:11

Cool clip, seems like Joe doing his impression of Keef's Sympathy solo there around the 4 minute mark... and fun to see all the famous faces (including Keef's) as the song goes by. But Joe seems a little bored here, playing by the numbers, going through the motions, but maybe that is just his style. And good ole Waddy back there allowing the person up front to have all the spot light as he does his thing, like the master he is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-03 22:11 by jambay.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2128
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home