Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: First MUSIC you recall hearing
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 30, 2016 19:07

latebloomer
Herb Albert for me too and an odd album called Victory at Sea, music from a WWII documentary series that my dad loved. He had eclectic tastes and he ruled the stereo, so I grew up listening to everything he liked: classical, jazz, big band, show tunes, and popular music. Didn't really hear much in the way of country until later in life, my dad hated it, thought it was maudlin and unsophisticated. This from a man who listened to an Alvin and the Chipmunks album, lol. He was okay with rock and roll and both my parents loved to dance so I have happy memories of the six of us dancing around the house to music.

As for me, I remember putting on Build Me Up Buttercup on my little box turntable in my room and dancing alone to that one. Whenever I hear it now, it takes me back and I can still see that turntable and the skinny little girl in pigtails jumping around to the beat.

Any picture to share with us grinning smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 31, 2016 02:05

NICOS
latebloomer
Herb Albert for me too and an odd album called Victory at Sea, music from a WWII documentary series that my dad loved. He had eclectic tastes and he ruled the stereo, so I grew up listening to everything he liked: classical, jazz, big band, show tunes, and popular music. Didn't really hear much in the way of country until later in life, my dad hated it, thought it was maudlin and unsophisticated. This from a man who listened to an Alvin and the Chipmunks album, lol. He was okay with rock and roll and both my parents loved to dance so I have happy memories of the six of us dancing around the house to music.

As for me, I remember putting on Build Me Up Buttercup on my little box turntable in my room and dancing alone to that one. Whenever I hear it now, it takes me back and I can still see that turntable and the skinny little girl in pigtails jumping around to the beat.

Any picture to share with us grinning smiley

It's in my mind's eye NICOS, where I keep most of my memories. smileys with beer

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 31, 2016 03:15

weirdly, it was 1969, I was 4 years old, and my dad and I were getting into his friends white VW bug and I'm sure the music playing was Zeppelin and my dad hated it.

I'm not sure it's even true, but I 'remember' it being Whole Lotta Love.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: May 31, 2016 10:11

Clapton/Cream classic tracks like Strange Brew, Badge maybe, because also my mother's liked that, Hence it was played directly at home.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 31, 2016 10:23

Don't remember the actual first song or band, but I estimate I was 4 years old when I was introduced to The Beatles by my Uncle. The next year (1968) I remember hearing Hey Jude being playing a few times every hour on the radio. later I learned it was a new hit song of course. As a child I loved the radio, played it most of the day. I can even remember hearing Wolfman Jack on Q56 AM in Miami. The earliest memory I have of The Stones is 1975 (age 12) because my teacher loved them. However, I didn't become a fan until four years later around the release of Emotional Rescue.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: May 31, 2016 15:09

There are photographs of me working a portable turntable that looked like a suitcase as a 18 month old with these two albums (Canadian versions):

I remember sitting in front of the turntable for what seemed like hours (even though I didn't know what an hour was), a baby DJ flipping them over and over again.

Around the same time, I remember having my mind blown by the David Clark Five's Chaquita.

I played this song on repeat until someone in my family forced me to stop--usually after about 5 or 6 replays.

I remember one Sunday when everyone was at church and for some unknown reason I was left at home (who leaves a baby at home?), must have listened to this for two hours straight.

Still blows me away, listening to it now.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-31 15:34 by camper88.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 31, 2016 17:48

album of Pirate Songs..

wish I could post a picture of that album cover..

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 31, 2016 19:27

The soundtrack to Damn Yankees (the movie, not the band)

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: May 31, 2016 20:39

Church music and songs, probably. There's also songs and jingles from both t.v. and radio, but nothing stuck in my memory (until maybe later when I listened to the same on records later). That would include a snatch of Beethoven's famous Fifth Symphony.

But I'd have to say in terms of seeing and knowing an LP on a record player would be the Beatles song 'Hey Jude.' (I believe it was a 45 being played at home for my benefit by one of my older siblings for whatever reason).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-31 20:39 by nightskyman.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 31, 2016 20:57

BluzDude

Bluz, I think we had the same childhood.

Whatever Lola wants...Lola gets...

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 31, 2016 20:59

latebloomer
BluzDude

Bluz, I think we had the same childhood.

Whatever Lola wants...Lola gets...

smileys with beer You gotta have heart...all you really need is heart smileys with beer

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: June 1, 2016 00:58

I belive it was the soundtrack to the "Mary Poppins" film. Also "Puff the magic
dragon" which was on some children's record in the 60's.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: June 1, 2016 02:26

beatle cartoons, sept. 1965.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: June 1, 2016 02:54

I'm so glad stonesrule started this topic! I remember singing along to Doris Day's "Que Sera, Sera" with my mother. We were sitting on the floor, and my mom was playing a 45 on yellow vinyl on a portable record player. I must have been three or four years old. It's one of my earliest memories, and I haven't thought about it in years.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 2, 2016 07:29

camper88
There are photographs of me working a portable turntable that looked like a suitcase as a 18 month old with these two albums

funny...i bought my son a briefcase turntable for christmas!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 2, 2016 10:23

Madame Butterfly (Puccini) with Maria Callas at my father's knee.
So I was all ready for Roy Orbison's operatic "I'm Crying" over the AM radio in my dad's 56 Chevy. WABC "the good guys" were my hero jocks and station. (NYC)
Then Bobby Vee, Little Richard Elvis and Dion and all the rock soul, country and r&b prevalent on pop radio earliest 60's thru the decade. Along the way when around 13 or so, the first Stones album dropped. I never missed another Stones LP for another 15 or 16 years. I'm going to get the next one too. Wilson Pickett and Sam Cooke and Ray Charles captured me really early too. I liked the Beatles pre-pepper with great vigor.
But I guess opera was the first music I remember. And that Westside Story soundtrack too. Earliest relationship to music amidst all these..

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 2, 2016 12:39

Pops!

2 1 2 0

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: June 2, 2016 18:34

We had a counter-top radio in our kitchen and it was always on and tuned to the local Top-40 AM stations. This would be early 60s.

"Leader of the Pack" by the Shangri–Las

"Chapel of Love" by the Dixie Cups (I have a very vivid memory of riding in my cousin's yellow VW Bug on a summer day and hearing this song.)

Posted by: Stonesfan13 ()
Date: June 2, 2016 18:38

I'd have to say Johnny Mathis since that was one of my dad favorites.
To this day I still enjoy him and brings back memory's of my dad when I hear it.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 2, 2016 21:05

When the Beatles first hit NY radio, I was all of 4 years old. I didn't know much but I knew I liked it. Soon after, when Satisfaction hit, I was hooked for life!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-02 23:55 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 2, 2016 22:28

"Little Old Lady From Pasadena" 1965

I was 4 years old.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 4, 2016 02:23

Nursery rhymes on my Close And Play, followed quickly by The Beatles. I got my own copy of Meet The Beatles when I was 4.

Posted by: 06230 ()
Date: June 4, 2016 08:59

dam,i so much wana tell a fib and say it was bowie doing starman on TOTP. but alas im sure is was something along the lines of the bay city rollers. there ive said and im not proud. but the first album i "bought was man of words man of music/space oddity...so i got on the write track eventually...

Date: June 5, 2016 22:05

When I was maybe 4 - 5 years old, a babysitter brought over some records and played them on my folks stereo. Years later as a teen I was going thru the used record bin at a local shop and came across The Stones Now album and the memories came rushing back. This was one of the records that babysitter played that night. I remembered the album cover. To bring it full circle I told the story during the interview for the Stones 2013 fan film shown before the concerts. I'm the guy that says "She played this album" in the fan film. My 3 seconds of Stones fame. LOL.

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-05 22:10 by micknkeef@cox.net.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1712
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home