Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Any Thoughts on Stevie Wonder?
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 30, 2016 11:27

2 marriages and divorces
9 children (5 mothers)

Just slightly ahead of Sir Michael, then.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 30, 2016 18:47

Fame and Money make men very attractive.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 30, 2016 18:52

stonesrule
Fame and Money make men very attractive.

They don't hurt women either, do they?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 30, 2016 19:54

NICOS
Title5Take1
Mick in Musician complained how Stevie had taken five years to do his—then— last album and Mick thought, "Couldn't he do this every year?" I wish Mick would now take his own advice with the Stones!

Do what?

Make a Stones album every year.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 18, 2016 03:59

hopkins,

This photo -- from 1979, Xenon Club (NYC). Posted here way back in 2008!

hopkins
I've recently seen a picture of a smiling Keith with his arm around Stevie in December of '79, so I guess that squabble was over by then. It was taken in NYC's Xenon Club. I Tried to post the pic here but couldn't do it. Keith is smiling and it doesn't look like Stevie is...but who can guess what Stevie was feeling at the time with any authority?

AND....This is Mick mentioning Stevie in '75:

"If we went to Russia, I'd like to go with Stevie Wonder, you know, and a whole bunch of people, not just the Rolling Stones. We'd like a week in Moscow, and we'd take everything: all the techniques we've learned, all the lights, everything we've learned about different types of music. And we'd just show them what we've done and if they don't like it, too bad... Those countries I'm not just thinking about for the Stones but for the whole... music of now, which in some sense we can help... It's very difficult. You get into politics as soon as you start wanting to go to, say, Indonesia. It's a problem because the governments are so volatile and they can change. They relate to us much more as a part of American culture, we might as well be Americans. They don't see the difference, we're just white Anglo-Saxons in Brazil or Peru."

quoted from timeisonourside

And love the Mick quote...love it when his mind meanders on the nexus of art and geopolitics, as it has over the decades.

-swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-18 07:48 by swiss.

Re: OT: Stevie Wonder
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 18, 2016 04:21

THANK YOU SWISS!!

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: June 18, 2016 07:19

I have seen Stevie Wonder once, opening for The Rolling stones at the Denver Coliseum in 1972.

He was fantastic, as were the Stones.

I became a Stevie Wonder fan after that concert, and remain a fan to this day.

However, I do not much care for any of his albums past "Songs in the Key of Life".

Usually artists cannot produce the same quality of work indefinitely. This is almost universally true. Just like the Stones, they wrote great music for 20 years. Most artists do not even last that long. In Stevie Wonder's case he did great music for 14 years.

OT: An appreciation of Stevie Wonder
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 14, 2020 18:22

Nice read. I was really into listening to the albums cited during that time and for a number of years afterward. You Haven't Done Nothin' is still one of the best commentary songs regarding leaders ever done. Boogie On Reggae Woman demands to be cranked and danced to and Heaven Is 10 Zillion Light Years Away is just a great groove. Must confess, I know little of Wonder's music from the 1980s onward, but I can say the same regarding any number of performers and bands from what I'd call back in the day for moi.

[getpocket.com]

Re: OT: An appreciation of Stevie Wonder
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 14, 2020 18:51

Yes, one of the most talented and important musicians of our lifetime.

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: August 14, 2020 21:03

Elmo Lewis
how very true.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: August 14, 2020 21:16

You Haven't Done Nothin' with the Jacksons on backing vocals !

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: August 14, 2020 21:19

Elmo Lewis

That matter how many one of the most important musicians of our lifetime are out there. How many are there?

To me he was just hype. A few good songs an that is about it.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 14, 2020 22:19

I appreciates the Stevie Wonders.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 14, 2020 22:58

Anybody recommend any of his albums? TY.

Date: August 14, 2020 23:19

Everything from Talking Book thru Songs In The Key Of Life is excellent.

But the early Motown stuff was also great in a different way.

Date: August 14, 2020 23:21

stanlove
Elmo Lewis

That matter how many one of the most important musicians of our lifetime are out there. How many are there?

To me he was just hype. A few good songs an that is about it.

I would place him in the league with Marley, McCartney, etc. Top 10 of our era.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 14, 2020 23:23

If ya party's dead and ya wanna get
the gals jumpin whack on Stevie's Motown track - Contract On Love

ROCKMAN

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: August 14, 2020 23:49

www.goldminemag.com/

Darryl Jones interviewed by Ivor Levene in Goldmine:
10 Albums That Changed My Life

"Stevie Wonder - Songs In the Key of Life

Stevie really threw down the gauntlet with this one. It had "Village Ghetto Land," "Love's in Need of Love Today" and "Have a Talk With God." "Contusion" was like a fusion chain in the middle of the album. The record was filled with pop songs, too. You had "I Wish," which is definitely like a little bit of a bass anthem, definitely a bass-happy tune. And then, of course "Sir Duke," again, was another tune that kind of crossed the line in terms of pop. That's kind of a musician's kind of tune. It had that line that was difficult to learn. That definitely had a big influence on me. I would say that this record would have been one of the absolute jewels of my life. Looking at how he put together a master workflow of creativity. And that does nothing to take away from Inner Visions or Talking Book — those are also very influential records — but I've got to pick Songs because it's full of anthems and it's so long. It's an amazing work of art. I remember buying that record and sitting down to listen to that double album work of art; it was a huge influence."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 15, 2020 00:21

The term 'genius' gets thrown around a lot, but no doubt in my mind Stevie Wonder is a Musical Genius.
I've been fortunate to see him live quite a few times, and it's always been a fantastic experience.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 15, 2020 02:05

Tasteful song writer and singer love a bunch of his record, I'm getting older confused smiley so I don't play music not as loud as I use too ......except this one.....

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 15, 2020 03:41

Elmo Lewis
Everything from Talking Book thru Songs In The Key Of Life is excellent.

But the early Motown stuff was also great in a different way.

No kidding, man that's great stuff!

Probably my favorite is "Maybe Your Baby" off Talking Book, great tune!

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: August 15, 2020 04:04

video: [www.youtube.com] Have always liked Stevie. Seen him with the stones-1972 at msg

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 16, 2020 14:32

His career parallels that of the Stones in many ways. "Uptight" defines the mid-1960s just as surely as "Satisfaction" does, and just like the Stones, Stevie has his own "Big Four" (Talking Book, Innervisions, Fulfillingness' First Finale, and Songs in the Key of Life), comprising a body of work virtually unrivaled by anything else in the annals of pop, rock or soul. One other thing worth mentioning; his concert at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit a few years ago was the only time in my life I've ever been part of an audience that was 50% white and 50% Black. It was a beautiful thang, and one of the most joyous nights of my life.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-16 14:36 by tatters.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: August 16, 2020 15:44

I pass.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 16, 2020 16:21

Bjorn
I pass.

He definitely has a few kick ass songs, I Wish & Sir Duke come to mind. And Superstition! ... but overall, I pass too.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1450
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home