Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Curious Brian/Stones balance
Posted by: ash ()
Date: May 27, 2016 10:31

mtaylor
And did he play on "You Can't Always Get What You Want"?

I think Bill said he read a botany magazine while lying on the floor. One of those little splashes of colour that Brian was so brilliant at adding....

On a more serious note as someone mentioned RnR Circus, it's very hard to judge the quality of his playing as he's mixed right down apart from No Expectations iirc and his guitar's out of tune on that. I haven't watched it for a while but I seem to remember finding that quite frustrating. I'd like to hear a mix that turns him up a bit more. I should probably go and watch it again.
Shame they didn't do a run of gigs at that time with the Beggars tracks.

Date: May 27, 2016 10:44

<No Expectations iirc and his guitar's out of tune on that>

I'll go out on a limb and say Brian's playing on NE is even better than on the studio version smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 27, 2016 11:07

In bands there are the songwriters, and there's the players. Both sides are equally important to the band, and to each other. A great song needs a good band to interpret it, to perform it; and the better the players are, the better the song will become.
Brian was as much a victim of his time as anything. They were very young; they were in an insanely busy and hectic cauldron of attention and movement. With cooler heads the story might have turned out different. But no one knew about drugs yet. Drugs themselves were also ..different. Barbiturates? Come on.
I do believe that what must have hurt Brian the most, is that from all accounts he sounds like he was just an @#$%&. So his meter ran out quickly with the rest of the guys. And a group of 20 year old dudes is not the most forgiving society.
Many of his brilliant contributions only revealed themselves as such within the context of history. The flute on 'Ruby Tuesday" I imagine wold be taken for granted. There was much brilliance and competition in the air to begin with.
I often think of Brian like Jeff Beck. Both are superb musicians, but can not write. Writing is a strange thing. It only blesses a few.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 27, 2016 13:45

Thankyou DandelionPowerman; that take of NE is great. It seems that the melody could have been written by the slide player because the lead vocal notes match the open tuning chord arpeggios.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: annajulia ()
Date: May 27, 2016 15:14

Palace Revolution 2000
In bands there are the songwriters, and there's the players. Both sides are equally important to the band, and to each other. A great song needs a good band to interpret it, to perform it; and the better the players are, the better the song will become.
Brian was as much a victim of his time as anything. They were very young; they were in an insanely busy and hectic cauldron of attention and movement. With cooler heads the story might have turned out different. But no one knew about drugs yet. Drugs themselves were also ..different. Barbiturates? Come on.
I do believe that what must have hurt Brian the most, is that from all accounts he sounds like he was just an @#$%&. So his meter ran out quickly with the rest of the guys. And a group of 20 year old dudes is not the most forgiving society.
Many of his brilliant contributions only revealed themselves as such within the context of history. The flute on 'Ruby Tuesday" I imagine wold be taken for granted. There was much brilliance and competition in the air to begin with.
I often think of Brian like Jeff Beck. Both are superb musicians, but can not write. Writing is a strange thing. It only blesses a few.

i agree with you on most things, but isn't this pretty much the opposite to what most people that knew him said? i hope i'm not misunderstanding what you wrote, but the only ones to say he's an @#$%& is the Stones (maybe minus Bill and possibly Charlie) and Andrew Oldham tbh, and they're the ones people listen to.

Brent Rej, Damian Korner, Donovan, George Harrison, Paul Mccartney, Pete Townshend, Nico, Dr John, Zouzou, Gered Mankowitz, John Lennon, Kathy Etchingham (Jimi Hendrix's girlfriend at one point), Phil Brown, Jack Nitzsche, Stan Blackbourne (the accountant for the Stones at their mid-1960s peak), Mick Fleetwood, and the list goes on and on, have all said that he was a really nice, polite and all round good guy (although i would like to be clear on that he could have handled the whole baby-situations more gracefully to say the least, even though he wasn't permitted to be seen with them by the Stones management he basically left their mothers and the children to fend for themselves, except for the two that got adopted). so really, by most accounts, he wasn't an @#$%&, but a nice, funny and polite guy, that like anybody else had his own hang-ups.

this is not meant to sound confrontational or anything at all btw smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-27 15:17 by annajulia.

Date: May 27, 2016 15:38

The question might be how well those other guys really knew Brian?

Mick and Keith (and Phelge) lived with him and really knew him.

What they have said about Brian isn't really simply negative, either. It's more complex than that.

Brian probably was a more complex character than good or bad (like the rest of us) smiling smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 27, 2016 16:18

We can all speculate here to try to understand what went on in Brian's head, but we'll never really know.

And as the Romans already said "De mortuis nil nisi bonum" thumbs up

Date: May 27, 2016 16:22

«Bonum» sounded suspicious... winking smiley

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 27, 2016 18:40

ash
mtaylor
Shame they didn't do a run of gigs at that time with the Beggars tracks.

He wasn't in any condition to play gigs or tour. That's why they asked him to leave.
The whole thing is pretty simple -- he was in a rock and roll band that wanted to get out and tour -- that *needed* to tour and make new music because they had just stupidly sold their catalog. (Admittedly not sure just when this happened and when Mick realized this.). But Brian couldn't be counted upon to do this.
Which is a shame and unfortunate for him because if he had been healthy he would have rocked the 1969 tour and probably gotten more attention and stardom than Keith. Remember that Keith hadn't yet created his own myth at this time.
I could envision a future for him in which he toured and recorded with the band but went into the studio with other people and did all sorts of side projects.
But he couldn't get a window to get himself together.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: May 27, 2016 19:46

Oh yeah, that was just wishful thinking on my part. I imagine as well that as Brian had had a lot more run-ins with the law compared to Mick and Keith that that would make his position difficult especially going to the States. I suspect that the Circus sealed his fate as far as Mick and Keith were concerned.

Date: May 28, 2016 01:04

annajulia
Palace Revolution 2000

i agree with you on most things, but isn't this pretty much the opposite to what most people that knew him said? i hope i'm not misunderstanding what you wrote, but the only ones to say he's an @#$%& is the Stones (maybe minus Bill and possibly Charlie) and Andrew Oldham tbh, and they're the ones people listen to.

Brent Rej, Damian Korner, Donovan, George Harrison, Paul Mccartney, Pete Townshend, Nico, Dr John, Zouzou, Gered Mankowitz, John Lennon, Kathy Etchingham (Jimi Hendrix's girlfriend at one point), Phil Brown, Jack Nitzsche, Stan Blackbourne (the accountant for the Stones at their mid-1960s peak), Mick Fleetwood, and the list goes on and on, have all said that he was a really nice, polite and all round good guy (although i would like to be clear on that he could have handled the whole baby-situations more gracefully to say the least, even though he wasn't permitted to be seen with them by the Stones management he basically left their mothers and the children to fend for themselves, except for the two that got adopted). so really, by most accounts, he wasn't an @#$%&, but a nice, funny and polite guy, that like anybody else had his own hang-ups.

this is not meant to sound confrontational or anything at all btw smiling smiley
Thats a good point annajulia. I did not interact with Brian Jones. I can only base this on reports from quotes I have read in books. Like most here, I have read so much on them, listened to them so much, and thought about them enough for two life times - so one gets to the point where you feel like you can make some reasonable assumptions. But like Dandy says, I am putting more trust in the word of the guys who were involved with him intimately: his band mates.
Four children left in your wake at 20; there is something hinky with that picture. Even at that young age , that smacks of extreme narcissism. I've seen Brian in interviews, and while I love his musical contributions, I have never "liked" him. I also base this on my own experiences: often I read a Brain story, and I think "I know that guy; I have dealt with that guy too".

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 28, 2016 19:20

In the Brian piece by Rob Chapman in The Mammoth Book of the Rolling Stones (that originally appeared in Mojo) Brian does come across as a possible sociopath.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: May 29, 2016 01:44

I think you're taking that book and Oldham quote way too seriously.

Or are you attacking the book?

Date: May 29, 2016 01:59

What about Bill's quote?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 29, 2016 02:34

Many of the old blues singers had similar love lives as Brian...chaos is almost too mild a description.
Not sure people got too moralistic about them however?

Date: May 29, 2016 02:50

Well, one thing I learned from the book is that Mick was writing Marsha Hunt love letters as Marianne lay in a coma.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 29, 2016 08:12

jlowe
Many of the old blues singers had similar love lives as Brian...chaos is almost too mild a description.

Some of Brian's behavior bothered Keith. Hitting women, for example. Not showing up for gigs. Keith considers himself a moral person, tries to live by a certain code. I think that's how he sees the world, and who really knows from the outside, but he's probably done his best to live up to his own morality.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 29, 2016 19:30

wonderboy
jlowe

Some of Brian's behavior bothered Keith. Hitting women, for example. Not showing up for gigs. Keith considers himself a moral person, tries to live by a certain code. I think that's how he sees the world, and who really knows from the outside, but he's probably done his best to live up to his own morality.

Well, its probably true to say that like many people, Keith is a man of contradictions when it comes to moral codes. Certainly Mick and Bill are.
What did he say around the time of the Redlands bust: "We are not old men and don't judge us by your petty morals"...or something to that effect.
Sure he hated Brian for failing to show up at gigs, but how often did Keith show up for studio recordings when the others arrived?
He was uptight about the Mick/Anita (Performance) thing but by all accounts their relationship was pretty "open".
I suspect having his second family has changed him in many respects, but he won't want to diminish the "rebel" myth.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: May 29, 2016 21:07

[Keith considers himself a moral person, tries to live by a certain code. I think that's how he sees the world, and who really knows from the outside, but he's probably done his best to live up to his own morality.[/quote]

So he tells us.

Date: June 3, 2016 21:51

The "curious" addressed below (from a review of Philip Norman's new Paul McCartney biography in the 4/25/16 New Yorker).

Makes me think of that French adage: les extremes se touchent.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2526
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home