Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Bands With No Original Members
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 25, 2016 18:11

Come On
I saw Animals last year with their original drummer John Steel...well they played Animals-songs but....that band without Price, Chandler and Burdon is parody of the origin band...

The Animals is a perfect example of this type of band. I just got an email that Eric Burdon and the Animals are playing nearby me. Would be cool but I'm like "there's no way its THE Animals. Its Eric Burdon and a bunch of guys." But he call it the Animals and its Eric Burdon so in all honesty its close and maybe convincing enough. I'm not going, but still haven't done the research to know if its real or if its what I assume. I would guess they might advertise it as "The Original Animals" if it were them, but its sad that in today's society I don't know who's in the band and am confident enough its not the original band that I won't even look it up simply because so many other bands do this.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: May 25, 2016 18:18

HonkeyTonkFlash
This is kind of interesting...at least our boys, the Stones still have 3.75! (Counting Woody as a 3/4 original!)

"3/4 original"? Woody's not the schrodinger's cat of original band members. He's a replacement of a replacement

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 25, 2016 18:20

RollingFreak
Come On
I saw Animals last year with their original drummer John Steel...well they played Animals-songs but....that band without Price, Chandler and Burdon is parody of the origin band...

The Animals is a perfect example of this type of band. I just got an email that Eric Burdon and the Animals are playing nearby me. Would be cool but I'm like "there's no way its THE Animals. Its Eric Burdon and a bunch of guys." But he call it the Animals and its Eric Burdon so in all honesty its close and maybe convincing enough. I'm not going, but still haven't done the research to know if its real or if its what I assume. I would guess they might advertise it as "The Original Animals" if it were them, but its sad that in today's society I don't know who's in the band and am confident enough its not the original band that I won't even look it up simply because so many other bands do this.

Eric Burdon is a perfect example of somebody who can get away with this because most people don't know who the other members were...unless you're a super-fan. Plus they were never as hugely famous as a band like the Stones. Imagine if the Stones had really broken up during WWIII in 1986. Could he put together another band today and call it Mick Jagger's Rolling Stones? Dear God, I hope not...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 25, 2016 18:52

HonkeyTonkFlash
RollingFreak
Come On

Eric Burdon is a perfect example of somebody who can get away with this because most people don't know who the other members were...unless you're a super-fan. Plus they were never as hugely famous as a band like the Stones. Imagine if the Stones had really broken up during WWIII in 1986. Could he put together another band today and call it Mick Jagger's Rolling Stones? Dear God, I hope not...

Exactly, and while it used to be called the Animals, I thought they did switch it to Eric Burdon AND awhile ago. But yeah, just my point of its a band where Eric's name brings a bit of legitmacy. You probably wouldn't want to go without him, but people WOULD go just cause his name is on the marquee. Whether the real Animals would be there would just be an added bonus or have no affect on your enjoyment. Same as the Frankie Valli thing. Then there are bands like the Temptations that didn't have that "name" member, so they can get away with even less. OR you have bands like the Stones as you say, who have more than one key "name" member so its harder for them to get around that.

Its weird how band's work. I'm fine with how the Stones do it. If I had my way or cared, I do think someone like Eric Burdon or Frankie Valli shouldn't tour the way they do because it is misleading. Tour as yourself and say "the voice of ______".

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 25, 2016 18:57

Rolling Freak: ..."Tour as yourself and say "the voice of ______"."

Right, or "Eric Burden presents the music of The Animals." Mick may as well have called his solo tours, "Mick Jagger presents the songs of The Rolling Stones And More..." considering how Stones-heavy his setlist was...

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: May 25, 2016 19:33

HonkeyTonkFlash
RollingFreak
Come On

MJ would have called the band "The Rolling Stones",

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 25, 2016 19:39

Van Morrison and Them?
I don't think so.
Presumably Burdon still performs those 60's Animals hits in concert. Maybe that's the clue.
Bob Dylan and his band....or Bob Dylan and The Band...could get very confusing.
I think Yoko has performed with The Plastic Ono Band...without John of course. Strange Days indeed.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: May 25, 2016 19:58

jlowe

I think Yoko has performed with The Plastic Ono Band...without John of course.

Well . . . it's not the Plastic Lennon Band.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: May 25, 2016 20:23

Jah Paul
DGA35
The current Temptations has none of the original 60's members.

I think Otis Williams still performs with the group, but perhaps that's changed in recent years. He's the last surviving original member, and last left from the classic 60's lineup (Ruffin-Kendricks-Paul Williams-Melvyn Franklin).

Otis is still there, and one of the other guys has been there 30+ years, a longer term than everyone except for Otis and Melvin.

Date: May 26, 2016 01:16

the animals changed their name to eric burdon and the animals in the late 60's when he started having a rotating cast of players instead of the original guys.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: May 26, 2016 01:36

Right now, the version of Blood, Sweat, and Tears (with Bo Bice on vocals) also has no original members.

My two cents worth....

I always go with the "RULE OF THREE" - if you have at least three original members of the band, you can bill it as as the band.

With that rule, the Stones are still the Stones.....

But, the Who are no longer the Who.

A handful of exceptions to the rule:

Steely Dan. If you have seen Becker and Fagan, it doesn't matter who else was on stage.

The Kinks. If both Ray and Dave were on the stage together, then it doesn't really matter who was on bass and drums.

Other thoughts...

If you have seen "The Beach Boy's" and there was not at least ONE person on the stage with the last name of Wilson, well......you haven't really seen the Beach Boys.

Mickey Dolenz and Peter Tork are touring right now as "The Monkees" - without Mike Nesmith on the stage, how can they bill it that way?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 26, 2016 02:24

Mongoose
Right now, the version of Blood, Sweat, and Tears (with Bo Bice on vocals) also has no original members.

My two cents worth....

I always go with the "RULE OF THREE" - if you have at least three original members of the band, you can bill it as as the band.

Steely Dan. If you have seen Becker and Fagan, it doesn't matter who else was on stage.

The Kinks. If both Ray and Dave were on the stage together, then it doesn't really matter who was on bass and drums.

Other thoughts...

If you have seen "The Beach Boy's" and there was not at least ONE person on the stage with the last name of Wilson, well......you haven't really seen the Beach Boys.

Mickey Dolenz and Peter Tork are touring right now as "The Monkees" - without Mike Nesmith on the stage, how can they bill it that way?

I don't know if my neighbor, Denny Dias, would agree.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: May 26, 2016 13:47

Apologies to Denny, a fantastic musician.

One of the articles said it best, though, when it mentioned that the general public often just identifies the lead singer and a guitarist or two.

Posted by: Spoonful ()
Date: May 28, 2016 14:48

Hi everyone! This is my first post here. Just want to add that it is a bit unfair to have Canned Heat listed as having no original members. Ok, no originals if we count the beginnings of the band before they released a record. But Larry Taylor was the bass player on their first album and he is still on board and Fito de la Parra joined before their breaktrough with On the Road Again and played on their second album and has been present ever since. When Harvey Mandel is healthy they have three members who played with the band at the Woodstock festival.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: May 28, 2016 16:42

BluzDude
Mongoose

My two cents worth....

Other thoughts...

I don't know if my neighbor, Denny Dias, would agree.

'Rule of 3' doesn't really work - some bands are duos, or 3 members, others 6 or 7. I think it's not just 'original members' but key members, that make a band a band. The Stones would not be the Stones if they were Charlie, Bill and Brian and missing Mick and Keith.

The Alarm is down to one original member, but its Mike Peters who wrote and sang the vast majority of their songs. I'd still see them.

With bands being corporations, and names being trademarked, and publishing rights often owned by someone not connected with the original hits, I think the trend to put bands on the road to grab whatever cash is left is not new, but is growing.

I saw Renaissance in maybe 1978. The band was started by 2 guys from the Yardbirds, but never went anywhere thru a few records. By the time they started selling any records or achieving any, even minor, bit of fame, no original members were around. Which version was Renaissance?

This Summer (sadly) there is a tour coming thru here with Spencer Davis Group, The Cowsills....plus(and advertised correctly) The Turtles featuring Flo and Eddie, Chuck Negron formerly of 3 Dog Night, Mark Lindsay former lead singer of Paul Revere and the Raiders. A much better way to advertise, to at least know you aren't buying a ticket for Three Dog Night, which is much more fair to all involved - ticket buyer and respectful of the original band members.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 28, 2016 17:14

queen without freddie, or the doors without jim may still be an interesting show, but they are not the same bands, notwithstanding the other members are still original.

bands with no original members, or at least original members from when they made it big, are really a bit of a joke and nothing more than tribute bands.

tribute bands can be good fun to watch, but in no way should be confused with seeing the actual band.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 28, 2016 17:21

I have some friends who went to see Journey a few years ago and didn't know that Steve Perry had left the band. They were so disappointed and couldn't enjoy the concert because of it. I guess it depends on what you expect walking in. I feel really lucky that my favorite band still has almost all the original members, and only one of those has passed away. Any band that's been around for more than a few years is bound to have some changes in the lineup. It's like expecting the same people to work for a company forever. Nothing is permanent, life goes on.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 28, 2016 17:40

Thin Lizzy - the current version is without original member

Posted by: geoffc ()
Date: May 28, 2016 18:11

The Drifters

Date: May 29, 2016 06:18

someone mentioned deep purple but imo the current version is just as legit as the 1990 version without gillan and yes I know gillan wasn't the original singer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-29 06:18 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 29, 2016 06:52

keefriffhard4life
someone mentioned deep purple but imo the current version is just as legit as the 1990 version without gillan and yes I know gillan wasn't the original singer

But without Ritchie Blackmore - not legit imo.

Date: May 29, 2016 07:17

Hairball
keefriffhard4life

he doesn't want to do it. paice, glover and gillan have been members forever. don airey was in rainbow with blackmore. morse has been in deep purple longer than blackmores tenures combined

Date: May 29, 2016 07:41

keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life

he doesn't want to do it. paice, glover and gillan have been members forever. don airey was in rainbow with blackmore. morse has been in deep purple longer than blackmores tenures combined

Aside from when Tommy Bolan was temporarily in the band ('75/'76), I can't recall anything they recorded without Ritchie Blackmore. Do they even still record?

I'm sure they're alright live with Steve Morse who is a damn fine guitar player, but it seems more of tribute band without Blackmore - the mastermind behind their greatest tunes.

Date: May 29, 2016 08:22

Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life

Aside from when Tommy Bolan was temporarily in the band ('75/'76), I can't recall anything they recorded without Ritchie Blackmore. Do they even still record?

I'm sure they're alright live with Steve Morse who is a damn fine guitar player, but it seems more of tribute band without Blackmore - the mastermind behind their greatest tunes.

steve morse studio albums with deep purple
1996 perpendicular
1998 abandon
2003 bananas
2005 rapture of the deep
2013 now what

they are working on a new album too. ian gillan, steve morse and roger glover have all released at least 2 solo albums from 1997-present so that's a lot of material guys roughly the same age the rolling stones. that's at minimum 11 releases from 1996-present by these guys.

Date: May 29, 2016 08:45

keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life

1996 perpendicular
1998 abandon
2003 bananas
2005 rapture of the deep
2013 now what

they are working on a new album too. ian gillan, steve morse and roger glover have all released at least 2 solo albums from 1997-present so that's a lot of material guys roughly the same age the rolling stones. that's at minimum 11 releases from 1996-present by these guys.

Thanks keefriffhard4life - that's incredible.
Somehow it all slipped under my radar.

Of the five DP studio albums above, which one do you like the best? Or which one would you recommend to someone who is only familiar with the classic Blackmore era?

Date: May 29, 2016 09:20

Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life

1996 perpendicular
1998 abandon
2003 bananas
2005 rapture of the deep
2013 now what

Thanks keefriffhard4life - that's incredible.
Somehow it all slipped under my radar.

Of the five DP studio albums above, which one do you like the best? Or which one would you recommend to someone who is only familiar with the classic Blackmore era?

now what seems the most like 1970's deep purple. I think perpendicular is the best though.

never hurts to check out a few tunes from each though and see what you like. my favorite 3 tunes from each:

perpendicular- sometimes I feel like screaming, ted the mechanic, a castle full of rascals

abandon- any fule kno that, almost human, seventh heaven

bananas- house of pain, haunted, pictures of innocence

rapture of the deep- junkyard blues, rapture of the deep, wrong man

now what- Vincent prince, above and beyond, uncommon man

especially check out "Vincent price" and to be really moved by a ballad check out "haunted"

the band also has a handful of live songs played with steve morse that they never recorded a studio version of.

Date: May 30, 2016 23:51

latebloomer
I have some friends who went to see Journey a few years ago and didn't know that Steve Perry had left the band. They were so disappointed and couldn't enjoy the concert because of it. I guess it depends on what you expect walking in. I feel really lucky that my favorite band still has almost all the original members, and only one of those has passed away. Any band that's been around for more than a few years is bound to have some changes in the lineup. It's like expecting the same people to work for a company forever. Nothing is permanent, life goes on.

OK...be like that and don't tell us who. OK, who is it?!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 31, 2016 00:33

treaclefingers
latebloomer

Well, you know what kinda band it is...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 31, 2016 01:33

The 'official' Animals, is the incarnation featuring original drummer, John Steel. I'm no authority, but it is my understanding that Burdon doesn't hold the 'rights' to the name, and thus, has to label his group differently.

Date: May 31, 2016 03:13

latebloomer
treaclefingers
latebloomer

Well, you know what kinda band it is...

maybe...do they sound at all stonesy?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1806
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home