Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Ear Plugs for concerts, please help!
Posted by: FeelinRealWell ()
Date: May 23, 2016 22:19

Hi all. A little over a month ago I experienced some sudden hearing loss in my left ear. Working with an ENT and fortunately it looks like things are improving. This emergency has got me super sensitive obviously and I'm looking to protect myself. I asked the ENT about wearing plugs and he suggested the cheap ones from the pharmacy are fine. I prefer to buy something a little more meaningful though that
I can put on not only for live music shows, but loud bars, ballgames, movies , heck even the gym when they blast that horrible music so loud. Anyone have any experience or recommendations on this matter before i post on Web MD as well? Figure they're a lot of
concert vets here!

Re: OT: Ear Plugs for concerts, please help!
Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: May 23, 2016 22:40

Better than that, we have a nationally certified audiologist on board. There have been a few threads on this issue. I use Etymotics, not just at concerts but also while flying, at sporting events, and when the wife is yelling at me:

Posted by: SSJagger ()
Date: February 25, 2016 20:21

I am a nationally certified Audiologist in the USA. My love of music sent me in this direction. My goal is to prevent hearing loss in musicians and concert goers. I have seen the damage. It is bad and irreversible. As for lack of evidence, I think you are wrong. There are tons of studies I won't get into.
The numbness you mention is from steriocilia fusing from damage. It can be temporary, and if you go 24-48 hr between noise exposure, they might unfuse and hearing may come back. Over time it builds up and the 1-3 rows of haircells can fall out causing permanent damage. Tinnitus is a sign of hearing loss. Get your hearing tested and you'll probably have a noise induced notch in the high frequencies. I wear (and make) custom made plugs religiously. What's $100/ a year to prevent hearing loss? Less than one ticket and well worth it. Hearing aids are now about $5000 each and you have to wear two, just like glasses. Wear hearing protection BC as they say, once your hearing is gone, the music is over.

Posted by: weinerdog ()
Date: May 23, 2016 22:56

Highly recommend Etymotics:

[www.etymotic.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 23, 2016 23:01

I bought Etymotics to see Rammstein in 2008 and they did nothing for me. After the show I had an unbearable buzz/tinnitus in my head going all night long... angry smiley

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 24, 2016 02:21

FeelinRealWell
Hi all. A little over a month ago I experienced some sudden hearing loss in my left ear. Working with an ENT and fortunately it looks like things are improving. This emergency has got me super sensitive obviously and I'm looking to protect myself. I asked the ENT about wearing plugs and he suggested the cheap ones from the pharmacy are fine. I prefer to buy something a little more meaningful though that
I can put on not only for live music shows, but loud bars, ballgames, movies , heck even the gym when they blast that horrible music so loud. Anyone have any experience or recommendations on this matter before i post on Web MD as well? Figure they're a lot of
concert vets here!

first off,welcome to the club:

i'm not sure if it was the the two consecutive 3h 45m [thats not a typo] led zeppelin shows but i think somewhere in there i developed a buzzing/ringing in my ears that i expect to go away somewhere around that time they lower me into the dirt.[although page using that bow could possibly cause a slight ringing sound to come from my grave for a few weeks afterwards]

i think the best over the counter brand is one called HEARO'S. they only come in blue if i'm not mistaken and really block sound for a good price.
the one's a doctor would give you i assume are even better, but more costly.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: May 24, 2016 03:44

The Etymotics also did nothing for me. Drug store earplugs are rated as up to 30db noise reduction, which should, I would think, provide much greater protection than the Etymotics --though the drug store brands may, perhaps, filter out different frequencies unequally.

I'm curious what SSJagger has to say about the comparison.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-24 05:56 by bam.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 24, 2016 03:50

This topic is especially sensitive to me. I went to see the Rolling Stones on the Steel Wheels in Syracuse 1989 and I suffered significant hearing loss for days as that concert was extremely loud. To be truthfully honest, my ears were not totally the same after that show. The Carrier Dome is probably the WORST place to see a rock concert. Since that time, with some exceptions (depending on venue and artist), I always wear ear protection.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: May 24, 2016 08:57

This topic can not be posted too many times The word needs to be spread over and over and over, especially to young people before the (unrepairable) damage is done. This thread has a lot of good info too, for anyone interested.

Bottom line- Own ear plugs with a nice case to carry them in. Carry them to concerts, use them when needed, putting them in and out and in and out and in and out is OK, using one plug at a time (in one ear and then in the other ear) is OK.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 24, 2016 09:43

Given the sort of reviews that Etymotics usually get, including by me, I'm wondering if those who didn't find they helped had inserted them correctly (achieving the proper seal), OR if they possibly don't work for people with certain-shaped ear canals. Because most people find they reduce volume while not obscuring clarity, and also they can be inserted part-way (which is my usual choice unless I'm standing right in front of a speaker). I think for those who aren't sure, they're definitely worth a try.

Posted by: Mimi73 ()
Date: May 24, 2016 10:41

From my point of view:

MOLDEX are the best ones for protecting the hearing.
The range of these covers the requirements especially
for work area and protects against disturbing noises
by 22 to 37 db. Perfect for concerts!

[www.wolkdirekt.com]

cool smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 24, 2016 11:58

I decided to investigate the issue after coming out half death of the Trabendo's 2nd row in 2012! Guess there are worse places for that but not pleasant all the same.

Quickly came across the Etymotic ER20 (small/standard size, the big size is really huge) and they do the job but I've found the Pacatos more comfortable and possibly a bit less "muffling" details here [www.iorr.org]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: May 24, 2016 13:37

The damage has been done for me. I am currently in the middle of a 45 day trial period with hearing aids. They are top of the line and I think I hate them. Protect your precious hearing folks!!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 24, 2016 13:43

Avoid picking your ears for a while and there you have it: Your own bulletproof wax protection!

Posted by: chris girard ()
Date: May 24, 2016 16:55

Etymotics-- I bought a pair on Amazon and they worked well. I went to RS concert in DC a few years ago and it was very loud. I had seats in the 100 tier and was glad i had them. Well worth the investment.

Posted by: FeelinRealWell ()
Date: May 24, 2016 23:13

Thanks for all the feedback!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 25, 2016 17:43

gotdablouse
I decided to investigate the issue after coming out half death of the Trabendo's 2nd row in 2012! Guess there are worse places for that but not pleasant all the same.

Quickly came across the Etymotic ER20 (small/standard size, the big size is really huge) and they do the job but I've found the Pacatos more comfortable and possibly a bit less "muffling" details here [www.iorr.org]

I can't take the muffling of the ER20, is Pacatos the next best thing?? Anything better anyone's found??

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 25, 2016 18:05

I've been lucky, and ignorant, I guess. I had an invincible feeling, but as a music lover, I now have become very worried about losing any hearing. I am in the market, I see several complaints on Etymotics but from the web site, the reviews are extremely positive. I might go w/ those for all future concerts.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 25, 2016 19:25

The danger is real! The loudest concert I ever experienced - believe it or not - was not The Stones or The Who, etc; but Heart in 1990. It was the closest I ever got to any band, front row and one of the PA stacks was mere feet from my right ear. I was nearly deaf in that ear for weeks afterward and today I still get odd pains in that ear. Good concert though...Nancy Wilson was hot!

Posted by: SanctifiedMind ()
Date: May 26, 2016 00:24

I've been using the compressible foam ones from the drugstore.
Easy in, easy out, effective, disposable, cheap.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1545
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home