Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: OT: Aerosmith news and rumours
Date: July 1, 2016 10:41

keefriffhard4life
Palace Revolution 2000
What a delusional band. Nikki Sixx who sees himself as a writer, who belongs with the greats. I saw a clip by him where he was saying that he been trying to contact Keith to get together and write.
Then there's the blond, fat one. I think he was always, uh lacking.
Tommy did okay solo, but hen you see him with the band, he seems to shed the few IQ points he garnered.
Mars IMO was a good guitar player. I never liked HM guitarists; not the sound, or the style, the soloing. But Mick Mars played a bone hard crunch rhtyhm style, that went under appreciated, and ultimately under used. With his physical limitations he always looked so ill at ease among those settings. Settings that wrote the book on shallowness.

you probably like mick mars because he's in his early 60's now and was influenced by blues and an entire different bunch of guitar players than the usual 80's heavy metal players. George lynch is another older guy from that scene who seems to have some different influences than most guys on that scene. I'd say slash and maybe tracii guns fit that too and then most of the rest seem to have the same influences like randy rhoads and eddie van halen

+ Sambora, who desperately WANTS to be like that, but it never shows in his playing. He loves the blues etc., but he just can't sound that way.

I agree about Slash and Tracii. I've never heard anyone play Hendrix like Tracii.

Date: July 1, 2016 10:54

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
Palace Revolution 2000
What a delusional band. Nikki Sixx who sees himself as a writer, who belongs with the greats. I saw a clip by him where he was saying that he been trying to contact Keith to get together and write.
Tommy did okay solo, but hen you see him with the band, he seems to shed the few IQ points he garnered.
Mars IMO was a good guitar player. I never liked HM guitarists; not the sound, or the style, the soloing. But Mick Mars played a bone hard crunch rhtyhm style, that went under appreciated, and ultimately under used. With his physical limitations he always looked so ill at ease among those settings. Settings that wrote the book on shallowness.

you probably like mick mars because he's in his early 60's now and was influenced by blues and an entire different bunch of guitar players than the usual 80's heavy metal players. George lynch is another older guy from that scene who seems to have some different influences than most guys on that scene. I'd say slash and maybe tracii guns fit that too and then most of the rest seem to have the same influences like randy rhoads and eddie van halen

+ Sambora, who desperately WANTS to be like that, but it never shows in his playing. He loves the blues etc., but he just can't sound that way.

I agree about Slash and Tracii. I've never heard anyone play Hendrix like Tracii.

I like the stuff tracii has done the last 10 years or so. its very 1970's rock sounding.

Date: July 1, 2016 11:34

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
Palace Revolution 2000

I like the stuff tracii has done the last 10 years or so. its very 1970's rock sounding.

yes, really good points Keefriff.

Date: July 1, 2016 11:41

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
Palace Revolution 2000

Ugh Sambora. What is it about that whole BonJovi brood that they got it all so wrong? They are the typical guys you find in Guitar Center; in their muscle tank tops, Air Jordans and the huge hair.
I don't know about our brothers in Europe, but in US we are currently being bombarded with a line of commercials that feature Jon BonJovi playing a guitar in a living room, in front of various people sitting there; yelling some kind of jingle at the world, and finishing it up by staring into the camera just a brief second too long, LOL

Date: July 1, 2016 11:44

Lots of Tracii playing in there. From the tour we did with him.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Aerosmith
Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: July 2, 2016 20:11

keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
Toxic34
Stones50
tomcasagranda
Keep Aerosmith away from the Stones; ever since that Diane Warren song, Aerosmith have been a joke. The Stones, in contrast, have created more worthwhile music.

Correct. They turned into bon jokey and there is NOTHING worse than that

Bon Jovi is an incredible band who burn the doors down every single time they hit the stage. Plus, Jon Bon Jovi is shown to be a talented actor and tireless philanthropist. There's nothing wrong with their music. Using the "it's awful because it's commercial" argument is quite tenuous when you can't back it up. There's also nothing wrong with the music Aerosmith made with Permanent Vacation, Pump, Get A Grip and Nine Lives. And I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing is a great song, which even Joe Perry admits and says he loves to play on stage.
I agree that Bon Jovi and a lot of '80s/'90s Aerosmith are both great. We're DEFINITELY in the minority on this board.

The key difference though is that Bon Jovi never pretended to be anything other than a pop-oriented hard rock band with a big, polished production with no qualms about bringing in outside songwriters.

Aerosmith was a sleazy, nasty hard rock band in the '70s that wrote their own songs. As much as I enjoy the Permanent Vacation-Nine Lives era, it is disheartening that they needed to lean on outside songwriters so heavily to create good songs.

I don't think they "needed" to lean on the outside writers. Geffen forced the band to bring them in for hits. 4 songs on vacation and 6 on pump have no outside writers. on get a grip the lines are blurred and several songs are co written by actual musician friends of the band like Richie supa (who co wrote stuff in the 70's with the band), tommy shaw, lenny kravitz and jack blades. 7 of the get a grip tunes fall into the category of band only or musician friend plus band.

They needed outside songwriters because the band wasn't firing on all cylinders left to their own devices. Done With Mirrors has a few good songs, of course, but to argue that it's the superior album to Permanent Vacation is intellectually dishonest. Most of the songs were absolute scraps leftovers, no real new material whatsoever. As Joe put it, "Steven and I simply were not in a very good groove at all." Thus, John Kalodner made it clear that they needed another set of ears in order to help revitalize them. And it worked absolute wonders for the band, the only problem being when Steven would write only with the collaborators and shut the others out, without informing them.

And as polished as songs became, Aerosmith never shed their sleazy, hard rock image or sound. Songs like Hangman Jury, Rag Doll, Young Lust, Don't Get Mad Get Even, Eat The Rich, Shut Up And Dance, Livin' On The Edge, Line Up, Blind Man, Walk On Water, Nine Lives, Crash, Ain't That A Bitch, Falling In Love (Is Hard On The Knees) and so on rock just as hard as anything on Get Your Wings, Toys In The Attic, Rocks or Draw The Line. The only moment that could have been a misstep is Just Push Play, because of the disconnected nature of the sessions and Marti Frederiksen and Mark Hudson beginning to shut out Joe and cater to Steven's whims on that album. That said, Beyond Beautiful, Jaded, Fly Away From Here, Just Push Play, Sunshine and Drop Dead Gorgeous are still really good songs. Honkin' On Bobo and Music From Another Dimension definitely were the perfect redemption for Just Push Play, thanks to Jack Douglas, obviously. MFAD is very much a vintage album.

BTW, it appears that the farewell tour talk might have been premature. Joe says "I always hold my breath when Steven has an interview on his own." The consideration is very real, but a decision has not been actually made at this point.

Date: July 2, 2016 20:38

<Songs like Hangman Jury, Rag Doll, Young Lust, Don't Get Mad Get Even, Eat The Rich, Shut Up And Dance, Livin' On The Edge, Line Up, Blind Man, Walk On Water, Nine Lives, Crash, Ain't That A Bitch, Falling In Love (Is Hard On The Knees) and so on rock just as hard as anything on Get Your Wings, Toys In The Attic, Rocks>

No, they don't. However, some of them are still great.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: July 2, 2016 21:50

Bo Joki are just that, a bad joke,

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: July 4, 2016 15:53

BowieStone
pepganzo
They are a fantastic live band.
Must see the dvd You gotta move.

Ugh. There's more footage of the audience (models) than of the band.

Huh?
Have watched this DVD (Concert + bonus features) several times.
Where did you see these models?

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: July 5, 2016 19:23

Phil Good
BowieStone
pepganzo
They are a fantastic live band.
Must see the dvd You gotta move.

Ugh. There's more footage of the audience (models) than of the band.

Huh?
Have watched this DVD (Concert + bonus features) several times.
Where did you see these models?

Lol.
Models? There are some footage of the audience and in some moments you can see some girls but who cares? It's a fantastic live album.
I prefer it to 'A little south of sanity'. Better sound and better performance.

I think that during this concert they played the best live versions of Love in an elevator, Toys in the attic, Last child and Rats in the cellar.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

OT: Joe Perry collapses onstage at Coney Island
Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 11, 2016 06:22

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

[pagesix.com]

Joe Perry collapsed onstage at a Hollywood Vampires gig at Coney Island this evening. Apparent cardiac arrest. One report says he's in critical condition, another says stable condition.

Re: OT: Joe Perry collapses onstage at Coney Island
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 11, 2016 06:27

Wish him the best. I remember I saw them like 5 years ago and he keeled over after Draw The Line (the last song in the set). He dropped his guitar and just kept hitting it with his strap till he passed out and was dragged off stage. I actually truly thought I just witnessed his death. Apparently it was all part of the act (I've never heard that confirmed, but no one else seemed as concerned as me) but its scary. He's a frail guy and with the life he's led it could certainly happen at any minute. Hope he's ok, cause he's still way too young. I get nervous that everyone is reaching out. Makes me feel it might be more serious but hopefully thats an overreaction.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: July 11, 2016 06:28

Bad news,

Please get well soon Joe Perry!

Good thoughts sent your way man...

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: July 11, 2016 07:20

Hope he has a speedy recovery. A great talent.

Crystal Ship

Date: July 11, 2016 08:32

Sad news..

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 11, 2016 09:19

Oh no. I just saw them on Thursday in Aurora, IL. Honestly, I thought he looked
very thin in both his body and face. He smashed his guitar after the Who's My Generation. We were within fifteen feet of the stage directly in front of Joe. He was playing fantastic and very rarly coming up for air. I suspect he had to compensate for Johnny a bit. Hope Joe fully recovers. Positive thoughts to him and his family...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 11, 2016 10:27

Take it easy Joe ....

ROCKMAN

Date: July 11, 2016 11:48

Stay strong Joe

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: July 11, 2016 11:58

Damn...what's wrong with 2016?

I wish him a speedy and fully recovery.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 11, 2016 13:09

Get well Joe! Reading his book gave me a much better appreciation of the man. He should probably be slowing down a bit at this point though...actually it seemed to be his plan at the end of the book.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: July 11, 2016 13:19

Get well soon Joe, hang in there!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 11, 2016 13:19

please get well Joe !

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: July 11, 2016 17:39

Tweet by Alice Cooper:
twitter

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 11, 2016 21:20

Must have been pretty serious. I heard the EMS guys actually had to bring him back with defibrillation paddles right there in the backstage area. Can't believe they're continuing the tour without him. I hope they're offering refunds to anyone who wants one, at least.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 11, 2016 22:21

tatters
Must have been pretty serious. I heard the EMS guys actually had to bring him back with defibrillation paddles right there in the backstage area. Can't believe they're continuing the tour without him. I hope they're offering refunds to anyone who wants one, at least.

I highly highly doubt it. Its not really selling as it is and this would only make matters worse.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 12, 2016 00:02

Quote from Palace Revolution 2000
"I don't know about our brothers in Europe, but in US we are currently being bombarded with a line of commercials that feature Jon BonJovi playing a guitar in a living room,"

YES horrible embarrassing surely he has enough money. He's had enough plastic surgery.

I'm sorry to hear about Joe Perry too. Terrible to see video.

I just spent 10 minutes trying to confirm the 1 Aerosmith concert I've ever been to
July 21, 1984 - USA St. Paul, Minnesota - Navy Island
OMG I was drunk, 17 years old, I remember the water, we were next to water, in the general crowd toward the front, LOUD,
found the setlist
it was awesome!
Setlist
Back in the Saddle
Mama Kin
Bone to Bone (Coney Island White Fish Boy)
Big Ten Inch Record
(Bull Moose Jackson cover)
Three Mile Smile
Reefer Head Woman
Lord of the Thighs
Get the Lead Out
Last Child
Lick and a Promise
Red House
(The Jimi Hendrix Experience cover)
Lightning Strikes
Same Old Song and Dance
Dream On
Sweet Emotion
Walk This Way
Milk Cow Blues
(Sleepy John Estes cover)
Toys in the Attic
Train Kept A-Rollin'
(Tiny Bradshaw cover)

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 12, 2016 00:43

35love
Quote from Palace Revolution 2000
"I don't know about our brothers in Europe, but in US we are currently being bombarded with a line of commercials that feature Jon BonJovi playing a guitar in a living room,"

YES horrible embarrassing surely he has enough money. He's had enough plastic surgery.

I'm sorry to hear about Joe Perry too. Terrible to see video.

I just spent 10 minutes trying to confirm the 1 Aerosmith concert I've ever been to
July 21, 1984 - USA St. Paul, Minnesota - Navy Island
OMG I was drunk, 17 years old, I remember the water, we were next to water, in the general crowd toward the front, LOUD,
found the setlist
it was awesome!
Setlist
Back in the Saddle
Mama Kin
Bone to Bone (Coney Island White Fish Boy)
Big Ten Inch Record
(Bull Moose Jackson cover)
Three Mile Smile
Reefer Head Woman
Lord of the Thighs
Get the Lead Out
Last Child
Lick and a Promise
Red House
(The Jimi Hendrix Experience cover)
Lightning Strikes
Same Old Song and Dance
Dream On
Sweet Emotion
Walk This Way
Milk Cow Blues
(Sleepy John Estes cover)
Toys in the Attic
Train Kept A-Rollin'
(Tiny Bradshaw cover)

Surprised no Adams Apple.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 12, 2016 01:48

'Surprised no Adams Apple.'
I'm surprised I'm still alive. It was an island in the Mississippi with a shell like stage. Stuck on an island with Aerosmith and crew. No wonder I always now look for an exit. But what a setlist.

I have no desire to ever see them live again.
Good wishes and thoughts to Joe Perry---

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 12, 2016 01:57

Tour is indeed proceeding, bit tasteless, no? You'd think they'd have insurance for that type of "issue".

[twitter.com]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: July 12, 2016 02:06

gotdablouse
Tour is indeed proceeding, bit tasteless, no? You'd think they'd have insurance for that type of "issue".

[twitter.com]

Why is it tasteless? There are a lot of people involved in this tour that need the work. The muscians can get other gigs, but everyone involved behind the scenes would have a hard time jumping on another tour at this point in time.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that Joe has told them to let the shows go on....

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2018
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home