Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Worst Stones Opening Acts
Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: May 23, 2016 16:52

dcba
Paris'95 : we had a double slice of mediocrity with Eric Lapointe and John Bon Jovi.
Ugly, just ugly...

You had to sit thru Bad Jovi. I am sooooo sorry. But you lived!

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: May 23, 2016 16:53

Journey in 1981. Utterly horrific.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 23, 2016 17:13

potus43

Yea, but it is quite a funny memory from Philly of being surrounded by a sea of raised middle fingers and so forth once they dared to proclaim themselves "the #1 band in America!"......at a Rolling Stones concert, no less! Ha!

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 23, 2016 17:18

HonkeyTonkFlash
potus43

Yea, but it is quite a funny memory from Philly of being surrounded by a sea of raised middle fingers and so forth once they dared to proclaim themselves "the #1 band in America!"......at a Rolling Stones concert, no less! Ha!

Saw then get booed off the stage in Buffalo 1981. A very nice memory.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 23, 2016 19:40

Hansman
24FPS
Hairball
Prince - L.A. Coliseum, '81 (later came to appreciate him and his music)
Living Color - L.A. Coliseum, '89, bad sound, bad music.
Jakob Dylan - Dodger Stadium, '97, monotonous.
Sheryl Crowe - Several Licks shows, first time was ok, intolerable after that.

Starsailor - boring as hell, Amsterdam Arena & both London Twickenham shows, '03.

I was at those shows, and you're right.

Why was Sheryl Crowe intolerable?

As I said, she was ok the first time - but once was enough.
Intolerable might be too strong an adjective, but I couldn't endure her after the first time seeing her.
For the following shows she opened, I knew I had extra pre-show time to gear up for the Stones, so in that sense she was 'tolerable'.

Imagine, a Festival consisting of bands you've seen open for the Stones
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: July 18, 2016 20:28

Assuming, of course, that all these bands and artists are still alive, together, etc.

What kind of weekend music Festival could be created from the acts that you have seen open for the Rolling Stones? Which acts would be the "headliners," and which acts would be in, ahem, smaller print on the poster?

My Festival, after ten Stones shows, would be:

ETTA JAMES
THE METERS
WILCO
BRYAN ADAMS
THIRD EYE BLIND
COUNTING CROWS
LIVING COLOUR
ST. PAUL AND THE BROKEN BONES
SOULIVE

Not a bad weekend! What would yours be?

Re: Imagine, a Festival consisting of bands you've seen open for the Stones
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 18, 2016 22:12

Seeing St Paul et al in Toronto in a few months. They impressed me mightily in Buffalo!

Re: Stones Opening Acts ...
Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 18, 2016 23:00

Robin Trower 1976 The Hague
The J.Geils Band
George Thorogood and the Destroyers Rotterdam 1982
Toten Hosen 1990 Cologne

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: July 18, 2016 23:24

George Thorogood
Beck
Living Color
St Paul & The Broken Bones

And others I'd have play at any festival (From SarsStock) who I guess could be termed as opening for the Stones:
ACDC
Guess Who
Blue Rodeo
Isley Bros

Date: July 19, 2016 04:09

No one for 2013 & AWOLNATION in 2015... didn't see the 2015 act (it was storming earlier and drizzling then, and I just wanted to stay dry as long as I could), but I made up for it by seeing them a few weeks ago!

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: July 19, 2016 16:45

The two worst I ever saw was Spin Doctors ('94) and Three Doors Down ('97). Awolnation was pretty lame too but the wives loved Walk On The Moon. Both last year. Apparently, they recognized the hits. Living Colour opened every '89 show I saw and I have yet to find a memorable hook in their music. The Strokes were overblown as was Ryan Adams ('99), Maroon Five ('05) and Lenny Kravitz ('94). Counting Crows ('94) were @#$%& - or at least Adam was.

Among the best I ever saw in the modern era was Buddy Guy ('98), laser-like and focused, a six-string banshee. Not Buddy with ADD as is so often the case with him. Sadly he did not sit in with the Stones who were in a hurry to get out of the country before their visa expired. J. Geils and Tower of Power ('75) were terrific as was Santana ('81). Elvis Costello and the faux Attractions were great in '07 as was Tinarawin later that year

Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: July 19, 2016 17:05

Eric Lapointe PARIS Longchamps 1995 AND laplace PARIS Olympia 1995 + Gun several times 1995

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: July 19, 2016 17:38

Living Colour rocks!

Posted by: Shesarainbow ()
Date: July 20, 2016 02:36

The Eagles, Dallas, 1975

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: July 20, 2016 05:25

Rufus Toronto 1975! At the time of course I had never heard of them or Chaka Khan.

Then of course there is the harsh truth for you Stones die-hards: AC/DC blew the Stones off the stage at SARS Toronto 2003. I was really surprised but Angus Young was absolutely on fire on his guitar. Then when the Stones came on they seemed lethargic and lackadaisical. That's just the way the cookie crumbled that day and evening.

Re: Imagine, a Festival consisting of bands you've seen open for the Stones
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 31, 2016 07:33

SomeTorontoGirl
Seeing St Paul et al in Toronto in a few months. They impressed me mightily in Buffalo!

...and they're tonight's musical guest on Stephen Colbert.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: August 31, 2016 16:25

saltoftheearth
Peter Maffay - Munich 1982

In his own right he is a good musician and worth listening to, but it between the J. Geils Band and the Stones he was just the wrong choice for the occasion. He got booed, and people threw eggs and tomatos on the stage so he had trounble finishing the concert.

The same in Hannover 1982. He absolutely was the wrong choice.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 31, 2016 18:21

John Mayer- Philly 2 nights!! I will have to look at my notes but I think it was 2003.
The Corrs- No Security- 1999
The Outlaws and Bobby Womack- 1975, Buffalo
Stevie Wonder- 1972
Alanis Morrisette- Albany- 2003
I think John Mayer topped all of them, personally. Bands like Living Colour played WAY too LOUD and the sound sucked and then there was Ryan Adams who got on top of the amps and SPIT down onto the audience--real class. THE WORST of ALL TIME, and I cannot believe the Stones would ever allow him to open ANYWHERE AGAIN for them, was Kanye! Vulgar, hideous, all ego NO TALENT AT ALL!

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1611
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home