Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 30
Re: OT: EURO 2016 - Prediction game and chat
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 29, 2016 20:59

belgium havent been that great, they are a bit overrated especially hazard, the british media always overrates certain players. hazard can be good but he hogs the ball too much, messes up counter attacks in the process as he plays with the ball and the entire opposition defence gets back in position and he usually runs with the ball towards the player he intends to pass to instead of just passing quickly with a more effective result.

germany in my opinion play football the way it should be played and i think the italy match will be a tactical classic, both sides play with their brains.

portugal are useless according to the media, but not so in my opinion, no other international side can create so many chances for one particular player, yet he misses most of them and is a hero to the media. i think portugal will be too strong for poland who are quite physical, so it will be a close game.

france will struggle v iceland but will win narrowly.

semis will be

portugal v belgium

germany v france

both to tight to call

but possibly i see a germany v portugal final with germany winning.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 29, 2016 22:37

buttons67
belgium havent been that great, they are a bit overrated especially hazard, the british media always overrates certain players. hazard can be good but he hogs the ball too much, messes up counter attacks in the process as he plays with the ball and the entire opposition defence gets back in position and he usually runs with the ball towards the player he intends to pass to instead of just passing quickly with a more effective result.

germany in my opinion play football the way it should be played and i think the italy match will be a tactical classic, both sides play with their brains.

portugal are useless according to the media, but not so in my opinion, no other international side can create so many chances for one particular player, yet he misses most of them and is a hero to the media. i think portugal will be too strong for poland who are quite physical, so it will be a close game.

semis will be

portugal v belgium

germany v france

both to tight to call

+1 with a bit more chance for poland so that in the end the final could be germany v belgium and germany winning

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-29 22:40 by maumau.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: June 30, 2016 11:40

buttons67

semis will be

portugal v belgium

germany v france

both to tight to call

well well, it's getting complicated.
to me, it's ok with Portugal vs Belgium but in the other game I see Italy vs France
For the final, I see Italy vs Belgium.
please, don't ask me why ! thanks

Date: June 30, 2016 11:42

Portugal has been the main disappointment in the tournament so far.

However, very often (Italy comes to mind) a team may stink at the group stages, and loosen up and play great football in the finals.

I'm not sure if Portugal has got what it takes, though.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 30, 2016 11:52

Tonight I've predicted as 0-0 and I think Portugal will win on penalties (they have good experience against England!). I think both teams will cancel each other out but who knows. A goal mid way through the second half could open play up and change the entire game.
Really looking forward to Wales v Belgium tomorrow.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: June 30, 2016 18:24

My pal in Lyon is of Italian heritage on his father's side, his great-grandfather died in World War I fighting for France. Seems like we have quite a few Italians around here. I appreciate some of their style on the pitch with talent and they are very successful. Some of how they play though, makes me cringe and I downright dislike it but a truly great country and people without a doubt.

As they say, in big tournaments, Italy has had Germany's number but that doesn't always matter.

---------------

Off topic from here; but the centenary of the Battle of Somme is coming up:
[www.telegraph.co.uk] Rest in Peace To All Of Those.

----------------

Back to the Euro; I did look in on Mark Lawrenson's, Lawro's picks at the BBC, I always look at those year round. Looks like he is on the German train.

To me, that game is still a toss up; we'll see.

I'm not Portuguese but here is a dedicated website to Portuguese football.
[portugoal.net] Every major tournament, I go to these websites.

Portugal has to feel like, despite some difficult games, they are actually in a good position, I think I already said that.

Eusebio was a class act.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: June 30, 2016 19:21

Poland Portugal 2-1
Wales Belgium 0-3
Germany Italy 3-2
France Island 2-0

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 30, 2016 19:29

Just for fun I put one Euro (10 SEK) on 2-1 to Portugal, Ronaldo last scorer at 42 x bet. We'll see what happens...

Date: June 30, 2016 23:54

I predicted 1-1, so let's hope for penalties now smiling smiley

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: July 1, 2016 00:53

Portugal in the semifinal!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-01 00:53 by Torres.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 1, 2016 01:05

DandelionPowderman
I predicted 1-1

Congratulations. I had 2-2 sad smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: July 1, 2016 04:48

I was for Poland but congrats to Portugal and they had a very workmanlike performance today.

As far as I'm concerned, Portugal really deserves a trophy somewhere, one doubts they could pull this off but I wish them the best.

In 2006, I watched the semi-finals with France Portugal when France won and in this pub were some Portugal fans, there faces really sunk when Portugal lost and I was probably pretty neutral but I felt for them.

Date: July 1, 2016 08:11

Ha' Way the Lads!

Good luck Wales. No one is giving them much of a chance.

Date: July 1, 2016 09:22

Yeah Portugal deserves an award for playing the lamest, most boring football, and yet somehow muddling through again and again.
I also think it could end up with Italy and Belgium in the finale.
If we went by heart and game it should be Germany vs Iceland

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 1, 2016 09:34

Thank you Lewandowski, your early goal gave us finally a game where Portugal had to
play football. It was a good game for about 75 minutes. After that, both teams started
playing checkers, like they always do. Just players shifting around the field, afraid
to leave some space for the other team to play football.

Portugal never won a game within 90 minutes this championship. I can't see how they
would deserve an award.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: July 1, 2016 11:27

Yep, I hope Portugal goes out in the next round. Otherwise we might wound up with a champion who has yet to win a game!

Date: July 1, 2016 12:32

Palace Revolution 2000
Yeah Portugal deserves an award for playing the lamest, most boring football, and yet somehow muddling through again and again.
I also think it could end up with Italy and Belgium in the finale.
If we went by heart and game it should be Germany vs Iceland

Saxons versus the Vikings.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 1, 2016 14:09

the brittish media alluded to the point that ronaldo dosent have anyone of class alongside him in the team except the young guy that scored who looks like bob marley.

i disagree, portugal are a very decent side and have got to the semis despite ronaldos contribution not because of his contribution.

many in the media must be contracted not to criticise ronaldo, i dont understand why, others get it when they dont perform to their maximum, especially the england team.

its so unproffesional of the media to give ronaldo all the credit and the rest of the team nothing. footballs a team game and who do they think creates all ronaldos chances for him to miss.

hope portugal lose in the semis.

Date: July 1, 2016 15:20

British media were right. Apparently this kid, Renato Sanches, is only 18 years old. He was just as good or even better than Ronaldo yesterday. Portugal has a good mid defender too, Pepe. The rest of the team is bland.

Posted by: Riffbuk ()
Date: July 1, 2016 15:22

I´ve been reading some of the comments here about the Portuguese team.

I do remember when the Portuguese team was playing brilliantly and loosing as always, towards the end of any tournament, since 1996 till today, where the team reached 5 times the semifinals….This time we started playing bad and boring football, I must say, specially in the first match against Iceland. Everyone was critizing the team, me included, and the English press was nasty and arrogant against Portugal and Ronaldo. I would like to ask where is Iceland and where is England now! They tasted their own medicine …

Yesterday against Poland, Portugal played a bossy and personalized football . No other team, I repeat, no other team makes more chances for goal then Portugal. This is not ballet dancing, this is about pragmatism and scoring goals. How many teams won world cups and euro cups by not being the best in the field, but the most pragmatic and assertive in the pitch?

I do read that some of you are praying for a Portuguese defeat…I just say that we are two draws away from the final victory…I rather play not so good, and wining, then have moral victories as in the past.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-01 15:23 by Riffbuk.

Date: July 1, 2016 15:25

Stoneage
British media were right. Apparently this kid, Renato Sanches, is only 18 years old. He was just as good or even better than Ronaldo yesterday. Portugal has a good mid defender too, Pepe. The rest of the team is bland.

Don't forget Quaresma. He never starts, but he is very often the decisive player. Nani is a very good player, too.

Date: July 1, 2016 15:29

Riffbuk

I do remember when the Portuguese team was playing brilliantly and loosing as always, towards the end of any tournament, since 1996 till today, where the team reached 5 times the semifinals….This time we started playing bad and boring football, I must say, specially in the first match against Iceland. Everyone was critizing the team, me included, and the English press was nasty and arrogant against Portugal and Ronaldo. I would like to ask where is Iceland and where is England now! They tasted their own medicine …

Yesterday against Poland, Portugal played a bossy and personalized football . No other team, I repeat, no other team makes more chances for goal then Portugal. This is not ballet dancing, this is about pragmatism and scoring goals. How many teams won world cups and euro cups by not being the best in the field, but the most pragmatic and assertive in the pitch?

I do read that some of you are praying for a Portuguese defeat…I just say that we are two draws away from the final victory…I rather play not so good, and wining, then have moral victories as in the past.

I know Portugal very well, and the team is very good.

They DON'T, not even remotely, create the most chances, though. And, let's face it, Portugal hasn't won a game yet (before extra time).

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised to see Portugal in the final against Germany. The reason? They take minimal risks, and let in few goals (the Hungary game is the exception that confirms the rule here smiling smiley ).

Date: July 1, 2016 16:16

Here in England they are giving odds of 40-1 on Iceland winning the tournament. Very tempted to put five pounds on them. You never know.

Date: July 1, 2016 16:18

DandelionPowderman
Riffbuk

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised to see Portugal in the final against Germany. The reason? They take minimal risks, and let in few goals (the Hungary game is the exception that confirms the rule here smiling smiley ).

I wish I shared your confidence in the Germans making it through to the final Dandy. Football may be a game of two halves and in the end the Germans win, as they say in England. Unless Germany are playing Italy. It should be a killer game though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-01 16:44 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 1, 2016 16:18

Silver Dagger
Here in England they are giving odds of 40-1 on Iceland winning the tournament. Very tempted to put five pounds on them. You never know.

Like Denmark in 1992 and Greece in 2004.
Why not - totally unexpected.
Anyway, Greece and Denmark were stronger teams that Iceland is now.

Date: July 1, 2016 16:37

Denmark had a very good team in 1992 with Laudrup and Schmeichel and others. They played a very attractive football as well and deafeted Germany in the final, 2-0.
How the Greek team won in 2004 is still a mystery to me. But they won!

Date: July 1, 2016 16:42

Stoneage
Denmark had a very good team in 1992 with Laudrup and Schmeichel and others. They played a very attractive football as well and deafeted Germany in the final, 2-0.
How the Greek team won in 2004 is still a mystery to me. But they won!

Greece played like Iceland does now. Tight defence and an urge to counter-attck quickly.

Denmark wasn't even qualified (got a free pass after the breakdown of Jugoslavia), yet the won the whole damn thing. Quite an achievement!

Date: July 1, 2016 17:29

Portugal has been up there, small country, a number of fine players who didn't win a trophy; that's why I'm for them to finally win a Cup of some sort. A bit reminiscent of Spain's drought; Spain before their recent trophies really had not won except for that Euro in the early 1960s.

Pepe was very good yesterday, crucial in defense at one point in that game in the box.

He was a bit of a mess in that game vs. Germany at the World Cup 2 years ago and got sent off with a red card but seems a decent fellow now.

Yes, Renato scored yesterday but he certainly is a bit of an unknown quantity while Ronaldo is heavily covered.

------------

Though there is nothing wrong with looking ahead and saying Belgium is going to win around here, I don't think they should do that as much on TV; that snubs Wales. The game has to be played.

Date: July 1, 2016 17:35

<but seems a decent fellow now>

Didn't you see the first Portugal games in this euro championship? smiling smiley

In the game against Iceland he showed some really moronic behaviour..

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: July 1, 2016 17:37

Portugal may reach the final and may even win, and although I think it's time for them to win a tournament, I don't like how they're playing. They're not very good, aren't they? They haven't won a single game within the first 90 minutes, and very often they don't play well together.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 30

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1746
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home