Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 30
Re: OT: EURO 2016 - Prediction game and chat
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 28, 2016 10:09

Roy Hodgson - the only man in England with a coherent plan for leaving Europe.

Date: June 28, 2016 10:15

Probably the only top english coach with a vast experience from coaching scandinavian teams. Incredible...

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: June 28, 2016 11:06

any news from 6853, the only man from Iceland on this board ?
no heart attack, no dementia crisis ?
thanks to inform us.

Date: June 28, 2016 11:15

jpasc95
thanks to inform us.

He must be out of words. Don't forget that he also has played for the icelandic national side back in the day thumbs up

Date: June 28, 2016 11:31

So I fully expect the Italians to go and win it now. I don't think Germany have the capacity to deal with the Italian game although I hope I'm wrong.

They like open attacking football and the Italians just sit back and pick their moment. I don't like that game but its effective until they come up against a mighty juggernaut like Spain were in 2012.

Wales beat and drew with Belgium in the qualifying group stage so they also have a chance. I think France will be too strong for Iceland and I think Poland will beat Portugal on penalties.

There you go. My prediction for the semi-finals.

Date: June 28, 2016 11:55

The most important thing is to attack with pace, imo, not wether you're going for a counter attack-strategy or not. Belgium is starting to understand this now. Spain and England didn't. The players are running more and they're doing a much harder job defensively. The more you do a «walk and pass»-game, the more you will struggle in international football.

Italy's attacks are pure class, and a joy to watch. Great combinations indeed. Germany-Italy is an open game, imo.

The way is paved for Belgium to do a great championship, though.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 28, 2016 12:17

I too think Italy is the hardest to defeat of all, but if there is one country that
could, it's possibly Germany. Not because the Germans have the attackers that can find
a way through the Italian defense (no one has), but because Germany have a good defense
themselves. I think it will be a 0-0 draw and Germany will win the penalty shoot out.

(never mind me, I predicted the same scenario for Spain).

Before the tournament started I warned for Iceland. They are rock solid, and I fear
France does not have an answer to their challenge. Best part for France is they had
one more day to rest. They're gonna need it.

And I do hope Poland will find a way to beat Portugal, but I am afraid for the same
kind of game as against Croatia. Not many attempts, both teams losing the ball on the
midfield all the time.

Belgium has the players to beat Wales, but if they would only have a strategy...

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: June 28, 2016 12:28

The biggest surprise with Iceland is that they always score goals. They were solid defensively earlier as well, but now they create chances and score goals. Will be interesting against France smiling smiley

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 28, 2016 12:35

yep Germany will be a whole different story for Italy, I believe much tougher. Basically because, unlike Spain, German players RUN dont walk, but they're still damn good at play football. Cant see Italy in the semifinals. Also, again 1 day of rest less for them.

Dont agree with the ole story of Italians that sit back and defend. If you watch yesterdays game it's hard to say that italian players were "sitting back" winking smiley there are just many different ways to defend (and attack) in football. And, again, ball possession is great only if you're doing it at a fast pace and with eleven top players. Otherwise 1-2-3-strike and you're out.

Date: June 28, 2016 12:36

yes absolutely DP !
we saw they were solid in defense but they're also good in attack and they move along fast !

and that makes things more difficult for France because we have a fragile defense (Rami for ex.)

so, wait and see Gentlemen !

Date: June 28, 2016 12:44

The big game is Germany vs Italy. I love the German team because they are young, and it is exciting football. Every player is a potential threat ( except Ozil who for some reason lacks a killer instinct), and I hated the way the Italians played dirty in group stage. But they outclassed the Spaniards on all levels yesterday. Spain looked confused and scared and also complacent. Thing is: Italy ALWAYS ends up beating Germany. I have Italy picked to win it, I guess,
France will probably beat Iceland. Best weapon Iceland has is they have no fear.
Belgium had that one bad game, I think the first one; and have looked magnificent since.
I really hope Poland (who IMO did not deserve to beat Switzerland) can beat Portugal. if there is one team who I don't think has earned a spot here it is them.
I am stuck in our little league hanging right behind Dandy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-28 12:45 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 28, 2016 13:12

England remains a mystery to me. There is much talk about the Premier League, how good it is and how much the players earns (what is it now? A million pounds a week?). And before every championship there is talk about how England must reach the semifinals; otherwise the coach must go. But look at the history. Last time England won anything was half a century ago, 1966. Most now living Englishmen weren't even born then.
And what about the tactics: Play slow and without intention. Or: because you earn a mill a week in the Premier League you will dominate international football...

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 28, 2016 13:39

Stoneage
England remains a mystery to me.

The same goes for Spain in the last two championships (WC 2014 and EC now).
Maybe playing in the most demanding competitions might have caused exhaustion for most
English and Spannish players.
And it's kind of hard to build a team out of superstars who earn so much money with
their clubs. Both Spain and England yesterday seemed to play without much conviction.
I missed the urge to prove to the world they belonged to the best players around.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: June 28, 2016 13:47

Stoneage
England remains a mystery to me. There is much talk about the Premier League, how good it is and how much the players earns (what is it now? A million pounds a week?). And before every championship there is talk about how England must reach the semifinals; otherwise the coach must go. But look at the history. Last time England won anything was half a century ago, 1966. Most now living Englishmen weren't even born then.
And what about the tactics: Play slow and without intention. Or: because you earn a mill a week in the Premier League you will dominate international football...

The English Premier League is made great by:
a) The money teams earn from television rights to spend on players
b) The high amount of foreign talent playing for those clubs.

Next season it will be even stronger as every club will get £100 million from new TV sponsors British Telecom. The fact that Guardiola, Conte, Mourinho and Klopp are now with English clubs underlines that.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 28, 2016 13:53

Sure, Marco. But Spain has delivered, big time, since 2008. The only national team in history to win three major tornaments in a row: EC 2008, WC 2010 and EC 2012. So it's understandable that they can't win every time...

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 28, 2016 14:06

marcovandereijk
Stoneage

The same goes for Spain in the last two championships (WC 2014 and EC now).
Maybe playing in the most demanding competitions might have caused exhaustion for most
English and Spannish players.
And it's kind of hard to build a team out of superstars who earn so much money with
their clubs. Both Spain and England yesterday seemed to play without much conviction.
I missed the urge to prove to the world they belonged to the best players around.

They were probably more eager to come back to the hotel and look at their Twitter / Facebook / Instagram profiles ... fix the hair, and look good.hot smiley

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 28, 2016 14:24

Since I met Gazza in Lyon for the game Ireland / Ukrainia , I Watch almost all the games on TV ( sorry, but I am realy not a football fan ...)

When Irland/France was played, I wished the two countries would win ;
but I must admit that Griezman is an admirable player thumbs up

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: June 28, 2016 14:39

The whole footballing thing is a bit of a circus with their wags and high salaries.

I certainly don't care to see the Turkish/Ghanaian/Tunisian/Polish/German team win the trophy nor too much the Azzurri. I'd hope somehow Belgium who probably can if they play to their potential or France can win this.

I think Germany is going to defeat Italy, despite all.

Spain had their super teams, I've heard, they lack finishing against the better teams, it was largely 8 years though of a super team.

After Portugal's game with Iceland where they were scoffed at and apparently Ronaldo acted rude, it is going to be interesting to watch Portugal who has a path to the final that is probably not nearly as difficult as the other bracket.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-28 15:02 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 28, 2016 15:05

Silver Dagger
Roy Hodgson - the only man in England with a coherent plan for leaving Europe.

*got a short laugh from my H off to work at 5 a.m. from this one liner.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 28, 2016 15:14

BroomWagon
The whole footballing thing is a bit of a circus with their wags and high salaries.

Yep ! That's my idea as well ; but some games are nice to Watch ; in French we say " se prendre au jeu" to get caught up in the game

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 28, 2016 17:55

the difference between success and failure in international football is more than just ability, its also good decision making, in that respect, some teams and players have it and some dont.

traditionally german and italians are the masters of making the right passes at the right time, you rarely see a german player take an opponent on or run far with the ball, they dont have to, the right pass can beat the most organised defence, and a player dosent have to beat a man, only the ball does.

many teams and players have much to learn from german football and particularly italys performance v spain yesterday.

england has much to learn, too many players out of position cant fill in even for a short time, they play as individuals and not as a team.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: June 28, 2016 20:24

Stoneage

I expected a lot more too but I think the young Beckham, Rooney and Owen played (plus a different goal keeper, of course) together and nothing materialized out of that then!

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: June 28, 2016 20:31

DandelionPowderman
jpasc95
thanks to inform us.

He must be out of words. Don't forget that he also has played for the icelandic national side back in the day thumbs up

He might be wrong with his memory of Cruyff but I guess there were Neeskens, Krol and Arie Haan.

Date: June 28, 2016 21:50

Everyone loves Ronaldo.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 28, 2016 22:59

i love Ranaldo much more winking smiley

1) I think english football season has been always very demanding

2) if Germany is dubbed Turkish/Ghanaian/Tunisian/Polish/... and rightly so, then you have a Moroccan/indonesian/congolese/portoguese/malian/... Belgium smiling smiley

3) Italy played exactly the same game against Belgium and Spain, second score is even perfectly alike. Then played bad against Sweden and Ireland. They seem stronger with the bigger.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 28, 2016 23:48

maumau
i love Ranaldo much more winking smiley

1) I think english football season has been always very demanding

2) if Germany is dubbed Turkish/Ghanaian/Tunisian/Polish/... and rightly so, then you have a Moroccan/indonesian/congolese/portoguese/malian/... Belgium smiling smiley

3) Italy played exactly the same game against Belgium and Spain, second score is even perfectly alike. Then played bad against Sweden and Ireland. They seem stronger with the bigger.

Against Ireland, Italy didn't use the strongest players.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: June 29, 2016 03:05

Well i'm not a huge football person, but i'm half Italian (ethnically) and a lot of my friends are Italian so my support is with Italy for better or for worse

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: June 29, 2016 16:55

favourite Stones song from Germany fans?

Oh no! Not you again!(Italy)smiling smiley

serious, i think Germany is superior of my Italy, but i hope....
Sici

Date: June 29, 2016 17:06

Sici

Sici
I'm not convinced by the German superiority on Italy.
Italy has shown good things in attack, they can play very fast and are still solid in defense.
I wouldn't be surprised if Italy won (maybe on penalties)

Date: June 29, 2016 19:19

jpasc95
Sici

Sici
I'm not convinced by the German superiority on Italy.
Italy has shown good things in attack, they can play very fast and are still solid in defense.
I wouldn't be surprised if Italy won (maybe on penalties)

Yes, 2 of the matches at the least are tossups to me, Italy Germany and Portugal Poland.

In the other 2, I would think the favourite would win.

Italy will be missing Thiago Motta to a one match suspension; I think that is the only important personnel they will lack.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 30

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1288
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home