Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 30
Re: OT: EURO 2016 - Prediction game and chat
Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: June 20, 2016 23:34

BroomWagon
I think per the official US football or as we say soccer federation, the USA's first real international match was against Sweden though; there were some games previous to Canada, one in 1885 and 1886; but it appears in 1916, Sweden was played officially.

[eloratings.net]

Before the USA got carried away with American football; gridiron, they probably did have some competitive teams and then, it took 70 years to finally become competitive again.

I nver could understand that situation, I guess the USA focussed too much in the female sport and left the male one aside...hmmm...don't really know...

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: June 20, 2016 23:35

Quique-stone
What a pain you haven't see him in the real field during the 80's! Unbelievable football player!

I actually have a friend, he moved but he was from Paraguay and he played in a game that Maradona was in.

Still, I think it's subjective whose the best. Some of these fellows had some extra-wings, I'm sorry but that's the way it was and probably is in some cases now.

Date: June 20, 2016 23:40

BroomWagon
Quique-stone
What a pain you haven't see him in the real field during the 80's! Unbelievable football player!

I actually have a friend, he moved but he was from Paraguay and he played in a game that Maradona was in.

Still, I think it's subjective whose the best. Some of these fellows had some extra-wings, I'm sorry but that's the way it was and probably is in some cases now.

The only thing that I will say is that Maradona had an unique way of feeling, living and breathing this sport!

Date: June 20, 2016 23:58

I didn't win any point today and I'm going down slowly in our IORR predictions!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 21, 2016 00:11

maradona was the best player ever, he rarely lost the ball when dribbling and he would draw players towards him with his dribbling then pass to an unmarked player to keep the attacking momentum going, he was a very unselfish player, a trait few top players have these days.

on another subject, well done wales, topped the group and thrashed russia 3-0, and could have scored more.

england could face portugal in the last 16 if results pan out a certain way.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 21, 2016 00:26

I agree that Maradona is number one. He had everything but height (for which he sometimes compensated with his hands...)

Date: June 21, 2016 00:56

Let's not forget Pelè...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 21, 2016 01:11

Pelé was a bit before my time. He had his breakthrough in 1958 during the WC in Sweden ( He scored twice in the final against Sweden: [www.fifa.com]). I still think Maradona is number one though. Without a doubt.

Date: June 21, 2016 05:29

I'll vote that I don't know who the best was but I think of course, George Best for Northern Ireland, never got to the big stage and also Zidane, Platini, Eusebio, Cruyff, Bobby Moore, Puskas and I'm sure others.

Meazza, who was real good in Italy's 2 World Cups in the 1930s. There was a real good player for Brazil in the 1930s; the Black Pearl, I forget his exact name now.

[en.wikipedia.org]

I think there's a chance that Zidane may have had EPO put in his old legs at the 2006 world cup; according to one book on Maradona, seems quite a few of those players were using speed. This isn't the first time or only place I have seen that said.

I don't want to be confrontational on all this or offend anyone, just saying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-21 05:30 by BroomWagon.

Date: June 21, 2016 05:31

Of course, I don't expect the USA to overcome Argentina, not probable but I think Chile is the hot team in this tournament anyway.

Date: June 21, 2016 05:35

It's great to read your posts talking about players from all over the world and from past eras! thumbs up

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 21, 2016 05:42

BroomWagon
I'll vote that I don't know who the best was but I think of course, George Best for Northern Ireland, never got to the big stage and also Zidane, Platini, Eusebio, Cruyff, Bobby Moore, Puskas and I'm sure others.

Meazza, who was real good in Italy's 2 World Cups in the 1930s. There was a real good player for Brazil in the 1930s; the Black Pearl, I forget his exact name now.

[en.wikipedia.org]

I think there's a chance that Zidane may have had EPO put in his old legs at the 2006 world cup; according to one book on Maradona, seems quite a few of those players were using speed. This isn't the first time or only place I have seen that said.

Leonidas da Silva, or the Black Diamond. He is very known to have invented and scored a "bicycle kick" goal in the 1938 World Cup. On his 100th birthday, Google made a doodle as a tribute to him.

Date: June 21, 2016 05:48

The Germans in 1954 are accused of using speed, a German University, not someone from out of that nation accused them of that too.

We see in sports now, the Tour De France, the Olympics, that unfortunately, there is a lot of that around. I think now, some people may say the '66 German team did too. I don't want to take credit away, the teams still won up until that final game at least. It's just that I consider this also.

Uruguay had great teams too; the '30s and indeed '20s are before my time but there are many teams and players to consider.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: June 21, 2016 09:40

Congratulations to Wales ! they finish first before England.
Who would've bet on that ?

now for sure, we can say all together : "bye bye Russia". Hope their degenerate hooligans will leave quietly.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 21, 2016 09:56

So we had
Germany - Poland 0-0
Portugal - Austria 0-0
Switzerland - France 0-0
and now
England - Slowakia 0-0

My predictions for Spain - Croatia and Italy - Ireland need an update, I guess.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: June 21, 2016 10:00

marcovandereijk
So we had
Germany - Poland 0-0
Portugal - Austria 0-0
Switzerland - France 0-0
and now
England - Slowakia 0-0

My predictions for Spain - Croatia and Italy - Ireland need an update, I guess.

Classic «last game before the play offs»-results smiling smiley

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 21, 2016 10:25

DandelionPowderman

Don't know. I think England had the motives to become the winner of the group (and avoid
a possible clash with "Angstgegner" Portugal in the next round). The 'big stars' somehow
fail to shine this championship. Nervousness all around?

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 21, 2016 10:29

BroomWagon

[en.wikipedia.org]

Wasn't the whole Juventus team in the mid 1990'ies on dope (inclusive Zidane)?

Date: June 21, 2016 10:38

marcovandereijk
DandelionPowderman

Don't know. I think England had the motives to become the winner of the group (and avoid
a possible clash with "Angstgegner" Portugal in the next round). The 'big stars' somehow
fail to shine this championship. Nervousness all around?

True, but at the same time they took zero risks. No quick attacks with many players. That tells me that deep down inside, 0-0 was an okay result for them. Better than risking being #3 anyway smiling smiley

Date: June 21, 2016 10:45

mtaylor
BroomWagon

[en.wikipedia.org]

Wasn't the whole Juventus team in the mid 1990'ies on dope (inclusive Zidane)?

Never proven, although the doctor they worked with had a bad history, if memory serves.

Date: June 21, 2016 16:29

Again, Gents and Ladies, I'd never want to frown on one's pride of their country,

Maradona made the sport so exciting; these other teams won. I just don't make these guys out as so much greater than everyone else.

Here are some good articles on the Euro, if one is wondering what the playoffs may look like in the next round:

What's England's path to Euro 2016 final? Where are Wales, France, Spain, Germany and Italy in draw? [asia.eurosport.com]

Yes, they see Italy with a very good chance to win it all.

Hodgson made all of those changes; it's kind of nutty really, though I've liked Roy Hodgson, a Rolling Stones fan (it is in his wikipedia biography and other places).

Euro 2016: England left exposed after Roy Hodgson's changes
[www.bbc.com]

Date: June 21, 2016 16:36

In the end, a lot of that is going around.

'66, El Robo, one can watch that match, England vs. Argentina on youtube and I've read about it too; it does seem that Argentina was at the least, given a bad deal when that player was red carded. That's pretty questionable to me. It doesn't seem like the Argentine player was acting badly but there's an answer to that too. So, in the end, a lot of that goes around.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 21, 2016 17:46

Big discussion tonight - will Czech and North Ireland survive?

Date: June 21, 2016 18:39

Zlatan has announced his international retirement after this Euro.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: June 21, 2016 18:58

Hello,

COME ON NORN IRON FFS!

Cheers,

Simon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-21 19:11 by SimonN.

Date: June 21, 2016 20:59

Germany and Poland are qualified for the next round

Poland will play against Switzerland

Don't know what to think about Germany. Are Germans hiding their game and preserving themselves for the next round ?

just wait and see !

Date: June 21, 2016 21:13

Hungary and Croatia are in, we just don't know their places yet.

4 points each.

Date: June 21, 2016 21:14

jpasc95
Germany and Poland are qualified for the next round

Poland will play against Switzerland

Don't know what to think about Germany. Are Germans hiding their game and preserving themselves for the next round ?

just wait and see !

It's more like these teams are playing not to lose than to win.

Date: June 21, 2016 21:15

Italy conceivably could win it.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 21, 2016 21:19

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 30

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1848
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home