Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT ( I hope) : What's the worst concert you've ever been to?
Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: May 14, 2016 23:19

The worst for a performer I didn't expect much from:
2 out of 2 Depeche Mode concerts I attended. The wife is a huge fan and was pregnant during both times she had a chance seeing them + it was mid, hot, summer. I went with her (not that she asked) to make sure she is OK... Did not enjoy even one second. Felt like a calm atheist in the middle of a mass. These were FOS tickets and people all around me - most looked like 80s caricatures - were hysteric and I just counted the seconds.

The worst for a performer I did expect something from:

Jorma Kauknen intimate acoustic "club" show some 4 years ago. The whole evening was based on acoustic country and Polk music. I was mostly worried that my cellophane battery would die before the show ended and the Kindle would be gone.

The worst for a performer I had great expectations from:

The Stones in Paris June 2014 - It was supposed to be my 2nd show that tour. The nerve breaking tickermaster websites ruined my chances of getting tickets to Rome, Berlin or Madrid - as I wanted. I got a chance to get tickets only for Paris and for the notorious "3rd area" (whatever it was called) on the field. We had some 30 hours in Paris altogether - our flight to Paris from Berlin was late. The RER emps were on strike. The hotel was crap. The one RER per hour that worked was loaded and some hack physically grabbed my wife in a sexual way, while neither of us could move. The whole way to/from the Stadium was guarded by the police and Marines. This was just a week or so after a great Stones concert we attended. We could hardly see them. From my position the show was lame (though others claimed it was great). Was very happy when it ended. The best part of that journey to Europe was the next day which I've spent in Cologne...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-14 23:20 by Wroclaw.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 15, 2016 00:01

Gary Wright at a small theater two years go or so. I had comp tickets and
when arrived found the theater almost empty - 40-50 people. Gary had only
PreRecorded music and he weaved back and forth, with a smile frozen on his face to the prerecorded music while he sang. The audience was so small he was looking right at me during the entire train wreck. In between the songs he would read from his book and show slides from his career which centered mostly on the theme that he knew George Harrison. I felt so bad for him as he seemed
Like a pleasant person - must have been torture for him. Before I left I purchased a book from him so I hope that eased the pain.

I saw Helen Redy at the same theater with comp tickets. That was beyond words.
She did two versions of her hit "I am Woman" (or whatever the actual title is).
One version was the spoken version like a dramatic poem. There was not enough beer in the entire city to sooth that pain...the scar is still there.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 15, 2016 00:08

RockinJive
Maindefender
Any concert where people would rather sit down than stand up and boogie. These two shows from the 80's come to mind: Rod Stewart & The Talking Heads. Our group kept standing up and the anger from those in back of us was palpable.

You sound like a real piece of work. Sit down if your the only one standing

It's a rock 'n' roll show, get up and dance! Bands don't enjoy audiences who just sit on their hands, either.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 15, 2016 00:31

Aquamarine
RockinJive
Maindefender
Any concert where people would rather sit down than stand up and boogie. These two shows from the 80's come to mind: Rod Stewart & The Talking Heads. Our group kept standing up and the anger from those in back of us was palpable.

It's a rock 'n' roll show, get up and dance! Bands don't enjoy audiences who just sit on their hands, either.

If they don't like it, they shouldn't sell seats, but have a standing floor.
Some people can't stand on their feet for 2 hours.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 15, 2016 01:50

BowieStone
Aquamarine
RockinJive
Maindefender

There is such a thing as common courtesy. When I saw the Stones at Shea Stadium in 1989, the excitement was huge and everyone was standing on their seats from the get-go. However, as soon as Keith started Angie everyone sat down...except for one solitary dude right in front of us. Boy, did he receive some verbal abuse not worthy of repeating here!

Date: May 15, 2016 02:03

BowieStone
Aquamarine
RockinJive
Maindefender

If people can't stand for two hours, there are usually seats available in places such as the balcony. It's not always possible to remove seats in order to have a standing floor, either.*

* And if the response to this is that the band should have booked a different venue--yes, they probably should! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-15 02:05 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 15, 2016 02:13

Not really a worst, but an odd one. Kiss in Dallas around 1986. No makeup. Some songs were good but the ones originally done with Peter and Ace felt a bit flat. They did The Who's Won't Get Fooled Again for an encore with each band member singing a verse. Bruce Kulick could not sing worth a crap!!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 15, 2016 04:48

TeaAtThree
Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, July 1986 Washington, DC RFK Stadium. 100+ degrees.

Dylan was horrendous. The "best" songs from that tour became "Dylan and the Dead," which every Deadhead and every Dylan fan disavows and abhors.

The Dead were worse. This was five days before Jerry nearly died, slipping into a diabetic coma.

Only Tom Petty, playing lots of the brand new "Southern Accents," made the day remotely redeemable.

T@3

You remember more than me Tea, I was there too. The heat was so unbearable, that's all that sticks with me. But you're right about the Dead...second time I had seen them, both times equally unmemorable. At least at this show, I stayed awake through their set. First time was at the Baltimore Civic Center and my friends had to wake me to tell me it was over.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 15, 2016 05:14

Aerosmith at the Boston Garden in either 77 or 78. They sucked.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 15, 2016 12:56

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 13, 2016 13:42

The Grateful Dead, anywhere they ever played.

thumbs up I had the misfortune to see them twice. I walked out of the 2nd one. Santana opened & was good. Then came the Hateful Fred...

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 15, 2016 13:07

Aquamarine
BowieStone
Aquamarine
RockinJive
Maindefender

If people can't stand for two hours, there are usually seats available in places such as the balcony. It's not always possible to remove seats in order to have a standing floor, either.*

* And if the response to this is that the band should have booked a different venue--yes, they probably should! grinning smiley

As someone with some physical limitations, I try to get ADA tickets where possible. It does get tiresome when people insist on standing the whole show in the seated area. Latest example was Bruce Springsteen in March. I bought tickets in the upper deck & people stood most of the show. I tried as much as I could but it seriously hurt me for the next few days. I ended up having to leave a bit early because I couldn't take it anymore. Was a nearly 4 hour show. A few days later I saw Iggy Pop in a theater. I made it standing in the seats for most of it with a few breaks. At 2 hours, was almost manageable. Still hurt. Lesson learned. I'm seeing the Cure this week & intentionally bought front row of the balcony. They are doing 3 hour shows & as they my bucket list band & I'm travelling for it, I want to enjoy it.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: May 15, 2016 13:40

U2 in 2009 - visually it was great but I went there for the music and it was so lifeless, so sloppy and boring (and I like some of their albums).

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 15, 2016 14:21

TeaAtThree
Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, July 1986 Washington, DC RFK Stadium. 100+ degrees.

Dylan was horrendous. The "best" songs from that tour became "Dylan and the Dead," which every Deadhead and every Dylan fan disavows and abhors.

The Dead were worse. This was five days before Jerry nearly died, slipping into a diabetic coma.

Only Tom Petty, playing lots of the brand new "Southern Accents," made the day remotely redeemable.

T@3

I was at the first of these two shows. Dylan wore black leather pants in extreme heat. During his solo acoustic set, the sound was so bad that I did not recognize he was playing To Ramona until the last verse.

Dylan's backing band was Petty and the Heartbreakers. Dylan and the Dead only played together for a few songs on the second day. The Dylan and the Dead album was compiled from six shows from the following year in which the Dead were Dylan's backing band. It's the last of Dylan's worst three-album string, the other two being Knocked Out Loaded and Down in the Groove.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 15, 2016 16:02

Wroclaw
The worst for a performer I didn't expect much from:
2 out of 2 Depeche Mode concerts I attended. The wife is a huge fan and was pregnant during both times she had a chance seeing them + it was mid, hot, summer. I went with her (not that she asked) to make sure she is OK... Did not enjoy even one second. Felt like a calm atheist in the middle of a mass. These were FOS tickets and people all around me - most looked like 80s caricatures - were hysteric and I just counted the seconds.

The worst for a performer I did expect something from:

Jorma Kauknen intimate acoustic "club" show some 4 years ago. The whole evening was based on acoustic country and Polk music. I was mostly worried that my cellophane battery would die before the show ended and the Kindle would be gone.

The worst for a performer I had great expectations from:

The Stones in Paris June 2014 - It was supposed to be my 2nd show that tour. The nerve breaking tickermaster websites ruined my chances of getting tickets to Rome, Berlin or Madrid - as I wanted. I got a chance to get tickets only for Paris and for the notorious "3rd area" (whatever it was called) on the field. We had some 30 hours in Paris altogether - our flight to Paris from Berlin was late. The RER emps were on strike. The hotel was crap. The one RER per hour that worked was loaded and some hack physically grabbed my wife in a sexual way, while neither of us could move. The whole way to/from the Stadium was guarded by the police and Marines. This was just a week or so after a great Stones concert we attended. We could hardly see them. From my position the show was lame (though others claimed it was great). Was very happy when it ended. The best part of that journey to Europe was the next day which I've spent in Cologne...

The rail strike did cause a mess. I was fine getting there. The way back was hell.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: May 15, 2016 16:52

latebloomer
TeaAtThree

T@3

You remember more than me Tea, I was there too. The heat was so unbearable, that's all that sticks with me. But you're right about the Dead...second time I had seen them, both times equally unmemorable. At least at this show, I stayed awake through their set. First time was at the Baltimore Civic Center and my friends had to wake me to tell me it was over.

Well audio tapes of the two RFK shows exist including Bob and Petty's set and both Dead sets from the second show in soundboard. Firstly, these were not the shows from which Dylan And The Dead was taken - they took place the next year when the Dead backed up Bob for six shows - three each on each coast. Dylan was backed up by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers at RFK in 1986. Personally I find it hard to fathom that Dylan was horrendous especially because I have listened to both of Bob's RFK sets. TP & HBs were a good backing band for Bob and what I suspect was that people were largely unfamiliar with the material Bob played - lots of covers and Empire Burlesue songs. But horrendous? I doubt it. Having said that, at the second show Bob appeared with the Dead and that was horrendous. The Dead's second set that day is one of my faves, however. Also the only song from Southern Accents Petty played was Spike.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 15, 2016 17:44

Elton John - Raleigh circa early 1990s - even Walked out-

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 15, 2016 17:52

Bashlets

I mentioned that too. I thought they might of had a bad night so I went to see them 2 years later in buffalo again. They were just as bad. So every time I hear them I think about how bad they are or were.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 15, 2016 17:52

Bashlets

dupicate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-15 17:53 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: May 15, 2016 18:50

McCartney 1976 i think. I only went as some friend begged me to sneak them in. In those days it was real easy to sneak in with a fake stub and then $10 bucks to the ticket taker.

I left halfway thru.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: May 15, 2016 19:04

Aquamarine
Bands don't enjoy audiences who just sit on their hands.

But they do like to take our money.

When a band pays me hundreds of dollars to go to their concert I'll try and remember to wave a flag. The Beatles stopped touring because their fans wouldn't shut up and listen and other bands don't like it if the audience sits and listens to them play.

These bands, I tell ya, . . . tough crowd.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: May 15, 2016 19:06

No wonder that Faces show in May 1973 was one of the worst shows I ever attended.

As I mentioned earlier, Ronnie Lane had announced to the band that he was leaving. I found this article from one of the Faces' road crew, fellow by the name of John Pidgeon. The only thing in error is that Roanoke is in Virginia, not West Virginia. This is mid way through the piece, where the author had been describing how Ronnie was getting sort of "detached" from the band during that tour:

True to his word, he would do his best not to rush on the Faces’ next American tour in the spring of 1973, renting a Winnebago camper whenever time and distance allowed. Even so, somewhere between Minneapolis and New York an unarguable truth hit him: this wasn’t why he’d learned to play guitar, not this uninspiring, sapping routine of travel, gig, hotel, no. The equally inescapable consequence was that he would have to leave the group.

Once he had started thinking that way, it wasn’t hard to come up with other reasons for not staying in the Faces. He was in no doubt that Rod held back his best songs, as he had most recently with ‘True Blue’, for his own records. He would not turn a blind eye to the looming shadow of Rod’s solo success, which he recognized as a threat, not just to the longevity, but to the very entity of the Faces. He couldn’t ignore the slow, but unstoppable spread of separate billing on posters – Rod Stewart and the Faces – by promoters bothered more by the prospect of missing a single potential ticket sale than bruising musicians’ egos. And he felt gagged as a singer, especially on stage, where his vocal role was reduced to backing harmonies and the opening verse of ‘Maybe I’m Amazed’ – “and not in my key either, you can guess whose key it was in.” He was also frustrated by the slow progress of the Faces’ follow-up to A Nod’s As Good As A Wink, especially Rod’s infrequent attendance at sessions and unhelpful appraisal of tracks necessarily recorded in his absence, and, when Ooh La La was eventually released, he was disappointed by its critical reception, and appalled by Rod’s deliberate, disloyal distancing of himself from the record.

On 12th May 1973, as the Faces were waiting to go on stage at the Civic Centre in Roanoke, West Virginia, Ronnie said the words that had been used countless times by different members of the band, but until now only in fun, parodying a pop star’s foot-stamping tantrum at a trivial setback, like a lukewarm cup of tea or a brandy-and-coke with no ice: “I’m leaving the group!” He left no one in doubt that he meant it. December’s high jinks were a distant memory and when, during the set, he spat an obscenity at Mac, the keyboard player caught him with a vicious kick, leaving 10,000 West Virginians wondering whether it was part of the act. There was one more US date, four nights to fulfill in London, then Ronnie Lane was gone.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 15, 2016 19:27

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer - late 70's - most boring sh*t ever.

Peter Frampton while opening for Stevie Nicks- early 80's - he played about 10 new songs, then "Lines On MY Face" and "Do You Feel". Totally uninspired. Even told the booing crowd "F*ck you" instead of the more famous line in DYFLWD.

Cyndi Lauper - not that she was so bad (good in fact) but I missed my last chance to see Stevie Ray Vaughn to go with a chick to this show. ,

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: May 15, 2016 21:19

I wish I could get it down to a single one, but the more I think about them, the more I want to forget about them:

Bob Dylan in Rochester 1978 - his born-again period. I did not recognize a song, and understood nothing he said the entire evening, and I was sober. The band seemed to not know what was going on either. I left before it was over, I just could not take it anymore. The man was living on his legend.

The Grateful Dead, 1981 in Buffalo, the night before the Stones show in Buffalo in 1981. The Dead played to a packed house in a 16,000 seat arena, with the stones playing Rich Stadium the next afternoon. I knew the promoter and got 4 free tix in prime location on Jerry's side of the stage. I had never seen the Dead, but always liked their Europe 72 album. I brought 3 friends who were big Dead fans. They were sooooo excited. The band was stunningly bad and out of tune. Jerry Garcia could not sing in whatever key the band was in. Total mess from the start when 15 minutes into the show I was not sure if the band was still tuning up or not. Meanwhile Deadheads all around were spinning and dancing to 'something', moving fast even though the music was not. Ah....drugs! If your music needs psychedelics to be appreciated, ummmm....

I left 90 minutes in. MY guests stayed another hour. They were huge Dead fans and even they could not handle it any longer.

Thankfully Thorogood and the Stones were the polar opposite the next day.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 15, 2016 22:02

buffalo7478
Bob Dylan in Rochester 1978 - his born-again period. I did not recognize a song, and understood nothing he said the entire evening, and I was sober. The band seemed to not know what was going on either. I left before it was over, I just could not take it anymore. The man was living on his legend.

I saw that tour in 1979 at the Santa Monica Civic for the Slow Train Coming tour- here's the setlist:

Gotta Serve Somebody

After the opening Gotta Serve Somebody - which I think is a great song - it was pretty much all downhill from there.
The highlight was Ronnie Wood and a hot blonde (must have been Jo Wood)sitting next to my brother and I in the 5th row.
When my brother lit up a spliff, Ronnie nudged him and my brother tried passing him the spliff.
But Ronnie just wanted to borrow a pack of matches so he could light up a bowl of his own private stash. smoking smiley

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: May 15, 2016 23:35

latebloomer
TeaAtThree

T@3

Late Bloomer, who are you? I'm a Baltimorean by birth. Gilman School product.
Class of '85.
T@3

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: May 15, 2016 23:55

Stones Syracuse Carrier Dome 1989. The worst concert and the last !

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 16, 2016 00:11

TeaAtThree
latebloomer
TeaAtThree

T@3

Late Bloomer, who are you? I'm a Baltimorean by birth. Gilman School product.
Class of '85.

T@3

Gilman!!...impressive, Tea. I'm nobody special - certainly not prep school material smiling smiley - a bit older than you, grew up on the Eastern Shore of MD by way of Greenbelt where my dad worked. Used to travel into Charm City for concerts and such, but mostly hung out in Annapolis. Wasn't a heck of a lot to do on the shore in those days. Still have family by the Bay...truly God's country. Cheers to you and crack a few crab legs for me. smileys with beer

Date: May 16, 2016 00:39

camper88
Aquamarine
Bands don't enjoy audiences who just sit on their hands.

But they do like to take our money.

When a band pays me hundreds of dollars to go to their concert I'll try and remember to wave a flag. The Beatles stopped touring because their fans wouldn't shut up and listen and other bands don't like it if the audience sits and listens to them play.

These bands, I tell ya, . . . tough crowd.

Different audiences for different bands--some bands are mellow, fine to sit through, I'm talking about rock 'n' roll. If you sat through a Stooges show, for instance, no point in going. The Beatles may have wanted people to listen, but I bet they wanted them to dance, too.

Posted by: dropped ()
Date: May 16, 2016 05:27

Guns and Roses - Use your Illusion tour-dragged there by my galpal.! If you can imagine Axl Rose doing an extended piano improvisation to start November Rain and Slash butchering Hendrix's Voodoo Child - wow, what delusional shite

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: May 16, 2016 15:45

Rush - Moving Pictures Tour 1981. They were too good musicianship wise and may as well have mimed to backing tapes. Haven't seen them since.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1838
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home