Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Question about this Russian EP
Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: May 8, 2016 07:43

A friend of mine came across this (presumably) Russian EP. Does anyone have any information about this (date, whether it is a legit pressing or a bootleg, etc)?

Paint it Black
Ruby Tuesday

As Tears Go By
Lady Jane

Re: Question about this Russian EP
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 8, 2016 11:11

This 33 1/3 EP was first made in the USSR in the mid 70s. I have this one somewhere, bought it as a kid probably in 76 or 77. Most Russian sites mark it as 1975, but I believe there were multiple re-issues from different Soviet factories till the early 80s.

It was sold officially in the USSR in the record shops that distributed Melodia products (Melodia is USSR record label). There was also flexi EP with the same titles from Tbilisi factory. Was it official? Highly doubt it was. However, Melodia was one and the only record label in the USSR, it was official. I guess they used some hole in the copyrights laws to produce it. Anyway, that was very weird issue in terms that The Rolling Stones were not accepted very well by Communists in the USSR. But this is different story.

PS. Ant this one was not that cheap for a kid. Taking the fact the ice cream at that time was about 10 kopeek (cents) the EP was 70 kopeek (cents). Tough choice winking smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-08 11:26 by ironbelly.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 8, 2016 12:15

This russian EP can also be found on Discogs.com.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 8, 2016 13:20

Am sure Allen Klein/ABKCO would have made sure they received a share of the income generated.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: May 8, 2016 17:02

Thanks, everyone. I am in awe of the knowledge around here.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: May 8, 2016 19:26

Sipuncula
A friend of mine came across this (presumably) Russian EP. Does anyone have any information about this (date, whether it is a legit pressing or a bootleg, etc)?

All releases from USSR era are bootlegs because in those days there was no official music market in Soviet Union. However, many post 1991 Russian releases are bootlegs too because enormous piracy in this country still exists. Take a look for instance at this ABB release with different back and booklet pictures: [www.discogs.com]

Date: May 8, 2016 22:32

franzk
Actually not all Soviet releases were bootlegs. There is a well known fact that ABBA (Polydor or whoever had ownership to the rights) gave a permission to press some 200 000 copies of The Album (1977). That one (at least 200000 copies) were 100% legit. The other thing is that there were pressed orders more than that.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 8, 2016 22:45

Three versions of the same record! [www.45cat.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: May 8, 2016 22:53

Deltics
The weirdest one was from Tbilisi record plant (now Georgia). That one was blue flexi winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-08 22:54 by ironbelly.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: May 8, 2016 22:55

ironbelly
franzk
Actually not all Soviet releases were bootlegs. There is a well known fact that ABBA (Polydor or whoever had ownership to the rights) gave a permission to press some 200 000 copies of The Album (1977). That one (at least 200000 copies) were 100% legit. The other thing is that there were pressed orders more than that.

Well, maybe there were a few exceptions to this, but it was very rare. At least as far as the Rolling Stones are concerned I'm pretty sure that all those releases were bootlegs.

BTW: The same applies to Chinese market.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 9, 2016 01:27

Deltics

Hi Deltics, do you known if there is something like www.33cat.com?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 9, 2016 01:28

NICOS
Deltics

Albums, Cds, Tape, etc. [www.45worlds.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 9, 2016 01:52

Deltics
NICOS
Deltics

Albums, Cds, Tape, etc. [www.45worlds.com]

Thank you my friend.......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1655
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home