Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Richards upstages Jagger
Posted by: SpanishTony ()
Date: August 24, 2005 09:00

I am posting two of the same threads because I couldn’t decide what title to use.

First off, to the great fans out there, the Stones have never sounded so good. I will state up front that the setlist these two nights was really weak, but I will let another thread address that topic. How they played Sunday and Tuesday was fantastic. That from a man who has no use for You Got Me Rocking, Out of Control, Miss You, and Its Only Rock n Roll. Even these overplayed songs sounded good in Boston. I may even choose to play them on CD some day in remembrance.

I am not a musician but I think I can safely state that the band is playing tighter than I have ever seen. My only hope is that the band continues the energy they had in Boston across the US and into Europe. If they do, everyone is in for a real treat, despite the suspect setlist. I sat down low on Sunday near the infield on the third base side and last night I sat in the roof section directly in front of the stage. Although the roof was further away, it was much better as I was directly in front of the stage. Here are my random thoughts:

1. This band values their reputation and is made up of true professionals. There will be no throwaway shows this tour as long as Charlie Watts, Daryl Jones, and Mick Jagger are involved. Jagger’s vocals are better than I have ever heard and the backbeat/rhythm is hard and consistent.
2. Keith Richards upstaged Mick Jagger tonight. This Legend was all over the place and it dawned on me midway through the night that I was more entranced with what Keith was doing over Mick. Quite frankly, Richards was like a tiger in a zoo. He was prowling all over the stage. He was possessed. At times, he was face to face with D Jones playing rythym guitar, other times he was facing Charlie oblivious to the 36,000 people behind him, other times he was on his own on the outskirts of the stage like in 81/82. Of course he was looking over Ronnie’s shoulder to make sure Ronnie was keeping up. In the end, the most memorable licks came from Richards not Wood. Richards took the bull by the horns tonight, with a permanent smirk/snarl on his face. Classic.
3. I am not going to bash Ron Wood because he had some special moments tonight, but one year on the road may be more than he can handle. He was real energetic tonight but not sure if it was the booze or the music. At times, I was afraid that a stiff wind might blow him over.
4. Blondie played guitar on 3-4 songs. Not sure if it was because a stiff wind theatened to blow Ron Wood over all night. ?!? At the very least, Blondie has cut his hair and will no longer be confused with Dr. J.
5. Although I would rather the Stones play an Air Supply song, Out of Control sounded like it was circa 1973. The Ronnie Wood highlight of the night was his solo that sounded like it could have been off Goats Head Sound or IORR. There was something very mid 1970s to it. For those of us looking for something from those albums, it was as close as it gets.
6. I was in the back of the stadium, and at times, I pictured the 81 tour. A drummer, two guitarist, a bassist off to the side and a singer working the crowd. For hard core Stones fans, that is good news.
7. Do you want the Stones doing a Ray Charles cover? Probably not. Did they bring down the house doing it? Absolutely. Jagger and Fisher vocals were fantastic. Richards guitar playing was enlightening.
8. My hope for all the IORR/Shidoobee fans out there is that the band puts out like it did in Boston through the rest of the tour. I imagine that 95% of you are sitting at a computer around the US or Europe ticked off at the setlist, but trust me on this one. The band sounds great and the songs they play work live. I consider myself a pretty tough Stones critic but the sounds on this tour makes up for the lack of set list imagination.

May the good Lord shine a light on you……

SpanishTony…..

Re: Richards upstages Jagger
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 24, 2005 10:15

I do trust you Mr Tony. O, this will be a wonderful year...

Allow me to quote some highlight from you, Tony:

"The Ronnie Wood highlight of the night was his solo that sounded like it could have been off Goats Head Sound or IORR" - Woow!!

"Keith Richards upstaged Mick Jagger tonight. This Legend was all over the place and it dawned on me midway through the night that I was more entranced with what Keith was doing over Mick. Quite frankly, Richards was like a tiger in a zoo. He was prowling all over the stage. He was possessed. At times, he was face to face with D Jones playing rythym guitar, other times he was facing Charlie oblivious to the 36,000 people behind him, other times he was on his own on the outskirts of the stage like in 81/82. Of course he was looking over Ronnie’s shoulder to make sure Ronnie was keeping up. In the end, the most memorable licks came from Richards not Wood. Richards took the bull by the horns tonight, with a permanent smirk/snarl on his face. Classic." - ....

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: August 24, 2005 10:45

Thanx for your report Tony. You're right. The way they play and sound (with lots of energy, guitars up in the mix, often stripped down to just 5 or 6 musicians) is far more important than the setlist.
RnT

Posted by: Sole ()
Date: August 24, 2005 11:09

Wonderful report, Tony, thanks! That sounds great!!

Posted by: firesoldier ()
Date: August 24, 2005 11:57

Nice Tony!

I really like your positive tone!

Isn´t it tiring to read all these negative treads on the forum, written by moaning kids, who don´t have the slightest idea what the hell they are talking about?

I´m really glad that my favourite band, whithout competition, since 35 years, is still alive and well!

"You have the sun, you have the wind and you have The Rolling Stones".

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: August 24, 2005 14:46

Keith was all business Sunday night and it appears this was the same case again last night as well. When Keith has his game face on the Stones usually soar. Just my take anyway. Looks like he was playing as though he was trying to prove something. The whole band appear to be on a mission.

Posted by: smith ()
Date: August 24, 2005 14:57

I'm listening to the CDs of the first show right now and I'm as far as "Out of control" (a song I used to hate back in 97/98) and
I LOVE WHAT I HEAR
they guys are sounding great and I really enjoy the set-list.

But IMO it's sad that they seem to go back to their roots and play (nearly) the same stuff over and over again. This might not be a problem as long as you are at the gig but for the collector it's kind of a low-down to prepare for further 150 versions of some 20 songs...

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: August 24, 2005 15:25

Smith are you my man?!?!?!?!?
How did you get the first show already and can we please trade or something because i would love to have those cd's!!!!

Can you email me at raas_@hotmail.com ?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: christap ()
Date: August 24, 2005 15:41

To Smith - please e-mail me if you're trading or selling cds of the 1st night show!
christap001@yahoo.com
would love to hear it!
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: August 24, 2005 17:35

firesoldier Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice Tony!
>
> I really like your positive tone!
>
> Isn´t it tiring to read all these negative treads
> on the forum, written by moaning kids, who don´t
> have the slightest idea what the hell they are
> talking about?
>
> I´m really glad that my favourite band, whithout
> competition, since 35 years, is still alive and
> well!
>
> "You have the sun, you have the wind and you have
> The Rolling Stones".
>
>
>

Yeah, I like postitive too...it's enlightening. winking smiley

Thanks for the 'review' Tony!

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: August 24, 2005 17:40

tony, great post! can't wait until Chicago!

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: August 24, 2005 17:43

Wonderful report. Thanks, Tony.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: August 24, 2005 17:53

Thanks Tony! I appreciate
your first hand insights!
Sounds promising, like
the Phoenix!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 24, 2005 18:43

Spanish Tony Said:

Keith Richards upstaged Mick Jagger tonight. This Legend was all over the place and it dawned on me midway through the night that I was more entranced with what Keith was doing over Mick. Quite frankly, Richards was like a tiger in a zoo. He was prowling all over the stage. He was possessed. At times, he was face to face with D Jones playing rythym guitar, other times he was facing Charlie oblivious to the 36,000 people behind him, other times he was on his own on the outskirts of the stage like in 81/82. Of course he was looking over Ronnie’s shoulder to make sure Ronnie was keeping up. In the end, the most memorable licks came from Richards not Wood. Richards took the bull by the horns tonight, with a permanent smirk/snarl on his face. Classic.

This was pretty much my impression on Keith on the 40 Licks Tour also... For whatever reason he's just much more a standout now... I thought then that it's just he's "loosened up" quite alot on stage...

I remember the Sticky Fingers Tour back in 71/72... Keith for the most part just stood there stage left and was not very animated. Very different now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home