Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Winter (New)
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 2, 2016 20:43

Loved this ever since it first came out...Haven't actually listened to it in years, but I spinned it so much back in the day I can still hear every beautiful note.

Date: May 2, 2016 20:52

This is WINTER captured perfectly <------ click it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-02 21:15 by HopeYouGuessMyName.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 2, 2016 22:45

A ho hum ballad with some nice sounds from Mick Taylor, Charlie, and Nicky Hopkins.

Even Mick Taylor's brilliant playing - though far from his best - couldn't save this from the dreary and stagnant doldrums.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: May 3, 2016 02:09

Sublime. One of the only pure love songs has ever written. And it's Bianca's birthday, so I should note that she is an underrated, and undervalued muse to Mick during this period and beyond.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: May 3, 2016 02:55

Turner68
absolutely awful music, one of the sure signs that the band was in decline.

calling it a cheap, lazy attempt to duplicate the feel and spirit "moonlight mile" would be too kind, but certainly the horrendous "dancing with mr. d" is to SFTD what "winter" is to moonlight mile.

stop taking the brown acid. Brilliant song

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 3, 2016 03:25

Indicative of the album. The whole thing seems like they're all crashing from their golden age of 68-72. The melancholy of Coming Down Again, with the story of Brian and Anita all over it, whether Keith's lyrics meant to or not. 100 Years Ago makes you feel that may be it's time to retire. And of course the beautiful Angie. It's the bridge album between truly felt emotions and It's Only Rock and Roll. It would be rare to hear again the vulnerability expressed on Goats Head Soup.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: May 3, 2016 04:28

Just imagine how great it would be if Mick sang ballads in this style nowadays, instead of the affected delivery we so often get. He used to just "sing" the songs.

I love Winter because it lacks that affectation. The aforementioned "snuffle" tells how un-polished it was. I imagine most of us have read the story of how this was the third vocal take or so when he got called away.

Lovely.

T@3

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: May 3, 2016 04:46

I love the song.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 3, 2016 09:34

TeaAtThree
Just imagine how great it would be if Mick sang ballads in this style nowadays, instead of the affected delivery we so often get. He used to just "sing" the songs.

I love Winter because it lacks that affectation. The aforementioned "snuffle" tells how un-polished it was. I imagine most of us have read the story of how this was the third vocal take or so when he got called away.

Lovely.

T@3

I thought Mick Went back to sing again with the album 'Alfie' from 2005, but I'm pretty alone here with that opinion...

2 1 2 0

Date: May 3, 2016 10:24

TeaAtThree

Lovely.

T@3

That's exactly what I don't think he does on Winter smiling smiley

On the contrary, for me, Winter is symbolising the start of the vain/decadent/too cool/self-loving singing style he developed during the 70s. Sometimes it was cool, sometimes not, imho.

Winter
Hide Your Love
Till The Next Goodbye
Time Waits For No One
Fingerprint File

are all in that category, imo. Angie, however, that's some beautiful honest singing...

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 3, 2016 11:04

DandelionPowderman
TeaAtThree

Lovely.

T@3

On the contrary, for me, Winter is symbolising the start of the vain/decadent/too cool/self-loving singing style he developed during the 70s. Sometimes it was cool, sometimes not, imho.

Winter
Hide Your Love
Till The Next Goodbye
Time Waits For No One
Fingerprint File

are all in that category, imo. Angie, however, that's some beautiful honest singing...

I agree that on Winter the singing seems to show some affectation (including the sniff) but for me it's still on the right side of camp. What saves it, for me, is that it still has a very spontaneous feel to it. I think Mick Jagger always had some mannerisms when he had to sing something "emotional", already as early as "That's How Strong My Love Is" (the 1964/1965 version I mean), but it still works very much for me. There's always a bit of tongue-in-cheek in everything Jagger does, very different from Keith obviously. It's only much later, post-80s, that it starts to get too much. For me, if I would have to compare Winter to anything, it wouldn't be to MM, but to "No Expectations", another repetition of the same trance-like chords and a simple melancholic melody over and over. "Heaven" is another example. I really wish they'd do more of this kind of songs.

Date: May 3, 2016 11:11

matxil
DandelionPowderman
TeaAtThree

Lovely.

T@3

Winter
Hide Your Love
Till The Next Goodbye
Time Waits For No One
Fingerprint File

I agree that on Winter the singing seems to show some affectation (including the sniff) but for me it's still on the right side of camp. What saves it, for me, is that it still has a very spontaneous feel to it. I think Mick Jagger always had some mannerisms when he had to sing something "emotional", already as early as "That's How Strong My Love Is" (the 1964/1965 version I mean), but it still works very much for me. There's always a bit of tongue-in-cheek in everything Jagger does, very different from Keith obviously. It's only much later, post-80s, that it starts to get too much. For me, if I would have to compare Winter to anything, it wouldn't be to MM, but to "No Expectations", another repetition of the same trance-like chords and a simple melancholic melody over and over. "Heaven" is another example. I really wish they'd do more of this kind of songs.

IAW mtxil thAT 'wINTER' is still on the good side of camp. And also with the point that "Angie" is pretty much straight forward honest singing by DP. Jagger's modern singing has gone the same way as his stage persona of today: he's too concerned about everyone and everything around him. IMO Jagger had a great personal compass, but seems like he quit following it.
But I got to say: there are times the modern Keith singing bothers me very much too. He is great on his solo albums; the Stones songs not so.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 3, 2016 19:23

Extend Winter:

[www.youtube.com]

Mrs. D

Goat's Head Soup is perfect on a cold Winter day with excellent Goat Pattys!

"Winter" is one of the best Rolling Stones songs!

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: May 3, 2016 20:15

Melodic Wonderment as Taylor's vibrato glistens to the heavens against jagger's perfect vocal lines.

play the guitar boy

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: May 3, 2016 21:08

I put that album on just to listen to Winter & Hide your love...

yeaaaa gonna wrap my coat around ya... wooooman

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 3, 2016 22:12

Lovely song.
I doubt Keith had much to do with it unless maybe he gave the riff to Jagger back in the 60s.

Posted by: maremma ()
Date: May 4, 2016 09:55

Silver Dagger
NICOS
This how it probably would have sounded if they had played it live back in '73........

[www.youtube.com]

This is great. Really good version. The guitarist has Taylor's licks bang on and the singer is pretty good too. Are they Dutch? Would definitely go and see these guys.

I fully agree !!!
Thanks for sharing this one smileys with beer

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 4, 2016 14:02

StonedAsia
I love the song.

Me too.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 4, 2016 15:55

A heavy tune.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 8, 2016 03:30

Great tune showing the brilliance of Mick Taylor.

One of the most beautiful solos on any album by
anyone IMO.

Date: May 9, 2016 11:52

Midnight Toker

anyone IMO.

I like his expanded solo-ing on the C. Olson version even better. On 'Winter' by the Stones, I have always seen this as a Jagger thing.

Date: May 9, 2016 11:57

Palace Revolution 2000
Midnight Toker

anyone IMO.

I like his expanded solo-ing on the C. Olson version even better. On 'Winter' by the Stones, I have always seen this as a Jagger thing.

Me too. I would call his playing on Winter more of a thematic piece than that of a guitar solo. It's nice just the same.

Re: Track Talk: Winter
Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: May 9, 2016 12:50

Love it. Maybe they exceeded with the strings in the final part.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: May 9, 2016 15:21

exilestones
Extend Winter:

[www.youtube.com]

Mrs. D

Goat's Head Soup is perfect on a cold Winter day with excellent Goat Pattys!

"Winter" is one of the best Rolling Stones songs!

Nice photo collage, there thumbs up.

I do like listening now and then to the Goats Head Soup album in it's entirety, It's only in that context that I can enjoy Jagger's mildly self-indulgent singing on 'Winter.' As I stated before in this thread, I personally prefer just listening to the music on it (even though keith Richards is not playing on it).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-09 15:22 by nightskyman.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: May 10, 2016 09:53

Surprised at quite how much venom there is for Winter. I love it but then GHS was my first Stones album and the start of my own Stones Journey. I'm not so fond of Dancin With Mr D though.

Posted by: DartfordRenegade ()
Date: May 11, 2016 19:55

One of my all time favourite Stones songs. Absolutely love it and this thread has motivated me to listen to it again.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: May 11, 2016 20:46

To really appreciate the song, try and isolate the music from the vocals...
The vocals and Mick's performance is fantastic, one of his best, least mannered, and MT's solo is gorgeous, but listen carefully to the piano and orchestration during the solo and to the end. There's also a little guitar lick that is looping around this part. The piano and strings are swirling around each other and its heavenly. The music sounds romantic and that doesn't always happen. It's perfect. If I had to choose, I'd pick this over Moonlight Mile..as epic as ML is, it has that hazy, slightly stoned feel...like a dream. Winter sounds wide awake and in love.
And this line: 'Sometimes I wanna ...light a candle for ya..'
Ahhh...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-11 20:49 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: May 11, 2016 23:34

stupidguy2
The vocals and Mick's performance is fantastic, one of his best, least mannered, and MT's solo is gorgeous, but listen carefully to the piano and orchestration during the solo and to the end. There's also a little guitar lick that is looping around this part. The piano and strings are swirling around each other and its heavenly. The music sounds romantic and that doesn't always happen. It's perfect. If I had to choose, I'd pick this over Moonlight Mile..as epic as ML is, it has that hazy, slightly stoned feel...like a dream. Winter sounds wide awake and in love.
Ahhh...

Beautifully put, stupidguy2! (My only quibble ... it's "burn" a candle for ya).

Drew

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 12, 2016 16:36

drewmaster
stupidguy2
Ahhh...

Beautifully put, stupidguy2! (My only quibble ... it's "burn" a candle for ya).

Drew

Agree, nice analysis. But I still go w/ Moonlight Mile. Winter does have lovely instrumentation and top notch vocals by Mick, but I still don't consider it on par w/ Moonlight ... but it is close!

Posted by: rcfoxy ()
Date: May 13, 2016 06:31

Without doubt my favourite Rolling Stones tune of all time (therefore my favourite song by anyone ever)!! (Bitch a close second). Perhaps not their best song - that maybe Gimme Shelter, but Winter is my favourite. I love the angst of Jaggers vocals - its all very haunting and constantly tugs at my heart. No other song takes me to that place that this song does.

Its always top of my wish list of songs for them to do live.

I recall reading back in the 90's that it was Lita Fords fav tune too.

Cheers
Richard - In Another Land

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1221
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home