Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
London UK travel advice for Rolling Stones fans
Posted by: jimmyketchup ()
Date: April 27, 2016 16:34

Hi everyone

Music Heritage UK has just released a new interactive online map of the Rolling Stones in London. Covering over 200 points, the map charts the concerts, studios, homes, hang-outs and more of the Stones in London.

We've really enjoyed researching and making this and we wanted to make something which appealed to the hardcore fan as much as the casual.

You can view the map on our site here:
http://musicheritageuk.org/maps/stones-in-london.html

It is also fully embeddable, just click on the top right icon for options.

We'd really appreciate any feedback you might have... you guys are the experts! I'm sure we've forgotten about a few potential entries. You can email any ideas and feedback to info [at] musicheritageuk.org.

Please do bear in mind that we currently can't embed audio/video but are hoping to add this functionality soon and will upgrade the map with relevant content when this happens.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-28 20:01 by bv.

Re: The *unofficial* Rolling Stones in London online map
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 27, 2016 16:50

Thanks Jimmy !!
Jeroen

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: April 27, 2016 17:09

GREAT

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: April 27, 2016 18:43

Thanks - looks great!

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: April 27, 2016 19:08

Great job.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 27, 2016 19:32

Great job, thanks for sharing! thumbs up

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: April 27, 2016 21:53

This is wonderful! Thanks for efforts and sharing with us all.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 27, 2016 22:43

Great stuff jimmy.

All in my hometown, specially Kingston,Richmond and Twickenham.

Don't think Mick lived at The Wick at any time, but Keith used to stay there at times...................maybe Mick as well.

John Mills...............our great English actor, sold it to Ronnie, I believe, or may have been Pete from The Who.

All lived there anyway. smileys with beer

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: April 27, 2016 23:26

thumbs up

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 28, 2016 00:20

Love this stuff from a great local website and FB page to me. smileys with beer

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 28, 2016 01:10

My window is blank / no map. Any specific settings?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 28, 2016 01:24

Music Heritage Facebook page: [www.facebook.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 28, 2016 09:26

crawdaddy
Don't think Mick lived at The Wick at any time, but Keith used to stay there at times ... maybe Mick as well.
John Mills .. our great English actor, sold it to Ronnie, I believe, or may have been Pete from The Who.

All lived there anyway. smileys with beer

Pete Townshend bought the Wick from Ronnie (or anyway after Ronnie sold it).

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 28, 2016 09:30

Keith also had a house in Cheyne Walk - I don't remember the number, though

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 28, 2016 10:17

with sssoul

It was on number 3. smiling smiley

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 28, 2016 10:34

with sssoul

Allegedly, Allen Klein had to be almost held at gunpoint to get the money for the deposit. Could be another Keith yarn of course.
The property is often referred to as a flat, pretty certain it was the whole building though.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: April 28, 2016 10:35

I have spotted a few mistakes and this must be the worst error:

"HILTON HOTEL, 22 PARK LANE, LONDON, W1K 1BE.

KEITH RICHARDS STAYED HERE FOR A WHILE - AND CAME UP WITH THE RIFF FROM ‘SATISFACTION’ IN HIS SLEEP

Keith Richards stayed at the Hilton for a short while in 1965 paying £28 a night to stay in a penthouse suite in the luxury Hotel on Park Lane. The Hotel was opened in 1963 and was the first Hilton to open outside of the USA.
It was in the top-floor suite that Richards came up with the riff of ‘I Can’t Get No Satisfaction’ in his sleep."

That was in Clearwater, Florida, was it not?

Posted by: theo1954 ()
Date: April 28, 2016 10:46

Very nice!

But shouldn`t Bricklayers Arms on it?

Date: April 28, 2016 10:49

Yes, that one should be, as should Weatherby Arms in Kings Road, Chelsea, were Bill Wyman joined The Stones.

EDIT: Weatherby Arms is there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-28 11:20 by The Worst..

Posted by: jimmyketchup ()
Date: April 28, 2016 11:34

Hi everyone!

Many thanks for all the feedback, both on here and via email.

We'll be pushing through an update next week amending some of those mistakes and making some clarifications.

It very much is a work in progress and your feedback is invaluable in improving the map.

The claim on 'Satisfaction' came from a blog post on the Gibson guitar website which we found. But we'll check with what's been said elsewhere and amend.

With regards to some of the other points: Bricklayers Arms and Wetherby arms are both there on the map. We've all the houses on Cheyne Walk too. We'll also look into The Wick a bit more.

If you're not finding particular dots, it may be because they're hidden behind others when you're zoomed out. Make sure you zoom in and out to see the full picture!

Thanks again.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: April 28, 2016 11:41

jimmyketchup
Hi everyone!

Many thanks for all the feedback, both on here and via email.

We'll be pushing through an update next week amending some of those mistakes and making some clarifications.

It very much is a work in progress and your feedback is invaluable in improving the map.

The claim on 'Satisfaction' came from a blog post on the Gibson guitar website which we found. But we'll check with what's been said elsewhere and amend.

With regards to some of the other points: Bricklayers Arms and Wetherby arms are both there on the map. We've all the houses on Cheyne Walk too. We'll also look into The Wick a bit more.

If you're not finding particular dots, it may be because they're hidden behind others when you're zoomed out. Make sure you zoom in and out to see the full picture!

Thanks again.

Excellent map. You may wish to add that Wyman has a house in Upper Cheyne Row, around the corner from Cheyne Walk.

Date: April 28, 2016 11:50

Satisfaction was certainly written during the US tour in May 1965. Keith Richards and Bill Wyman have several times stated that it was written in Jack Tar Fort Harrison Hotel in Clearwater, Florida, before or after the concert in Clearwater on the 6th of May 1965. And it was recorded a few days later between May 10 and 12 in Chicago and LA. Plenty of different sources confirms this. That Hilton London story is most likely false.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: April 28, 2016 13:13

Thanks for this! I even have a few locations close to where I live that I never knew about.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 28, 2016 13:28

Fun, thanks much!

Date: April 28, 2016 14:06

The Worst.
Satisfaction was certainly written during the US tour in May 1965. Keith Richards and Bill Wyman have several times stated that it was written in Jack Tar Fort Harrison Hotel in Clearwater, Florida, before or after the concert in Clearwater on the 6th of May 1965. And it was recorded a few days later between May 10 and 12 in Chicago and LA. Plenty of different sources confirms this. That Hilton London story is most likely false.

Yes and no, as Keith has stated that both London and Florida was where it happened. Most frequently he has stated the latter, though smiling smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 28, 2016 14:14

Curiously, there are no marks set at Cheltenham.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 28, 2016 14:30

matxil

Because the name of the map is: The Rolling Stones in London -- Cheltenham is situated far outside of the Greater London Urban Area.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-28 14:45 by Irix.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 28, 2016 14:46

Irix
matxil

Because the name of the map is: The Rolling Stones in London -- Cheltenham is situated outside of the Greater London Urban Area.

About 100 miles and a two and a half hour drive!
[www.google.co.uk]
And that's with today's road system.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-28 14:54 by Deltics.

Date: April 28, 2016 14:55

DandelionPowderman
The Worst.

Yes and no, as Keith has stated that both London and Florida was where it happened. Most frequently he has stated the latter, though smiling smiley

Yes, but it has always seemed to be the case that Satisfaction was written and recorded during the US Tour in May 1965. Keith contradicts himself a lot, so I generally trust Bill more than Keith in any case. And Bill has always stated that Keith wrote the riff and the chorus in his Clearwater hotel room, and presented the idea to Mick who wrote much of the lyrics by the pool.

The most interesting fact I find about the whole process, is that after the LA recordings 11-12th of May, The Stones voted democratically to select the next singel. Charlie, Bill and Brian voted for Satisfaction, whilst Mick and Keith voted against it. That just shows how hard it is to assess the quality of your own work I guess. (This is again according to Bill, btw.)

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 28, 2016 15:02

Irix
matxil

Because the name of the map is: The Rolling Stones in London -- Cheltenham is situated far outside of the Greater London Urban Area.

Oops, you're right of course. I apologize: my mistake.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1627
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home