Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Winning Ugly (New)
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 27, 2016 17:48

matxil
LeonidP
24FPS
I thought it was a great sports song lyrically, and I often think about it.

I was brought up to cheat
So long as the referee wasn't looking
I'm never wrong at all
I always fight the call
I don't admit it
But back in the dressing room
The other side is screaming
And we're winning, winning ugly, yeah
And we're winning, winning ugly

I am trying to think of a song, by any artist, with more embarrassing lyrics... the only thing that comes to mind is:

"we don't have to take our ... clothes off ...
to have a good time ... ah huh"

"You think you are a patriot. I think you are a crock of sh**"

"Let's work, be proud, stand tall, touch the cloud"

"I hope you find it funny, that I ain't got no money"

To just name a few...

Good call on the first couple, but com'on, Wanna Hold You lyrics aren't that bad at all. It's a nice little ditty.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 27, 2016 19:14

LeonidP
matxil
LeonidP
24FPS
I thought it was a great sports song lyrically, and I often think about it.

I was brought up to cheat
So long as the referee wasn't looking
I'm never wrong at all
I always fight the call
I don't admit it
But back in the dressing room
The other side is screaming
And we're winning, winning ugly, yeah
And we're winning, winning ugly

I am trying to think of a song, by any artist, with more embarrassing lyrics... the only thing that comes to mind is:

"we don't have to take our ... clothes off ...
to have a good time ... ah huh"

"You think you are a patriot. I think you are a crock of sh**"

"Let's work, be proud, stand tall, touch the cloud"

"I hope you find it funny, that I ain't got no money"

To just name a few...

Good call on the first couple, but com'on, Wanna Hold You lyrics aren't that bad at all. It's a nice little ditty.

I think "Wanna Hold You" is the worst "Keith song" he ever did, with or without the Stones. And that's partly because of the lyrics and partly because of the completely uninspired music.

And as much as I like Heartstopper on Crosseyed Heart, I always thought "My baby is a vegetarian, but me, I like the meat" are rather lame lyrics too.

Oh, and the whole "in for me/infamy" pun in Infamy... which - coming to think of it, might be an even slightly worse song than Wanna Hold You.

Oh well, maybe back in the dressing room, the other side is screaming...

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 27, 2016 19:15

Most fans love the Stones for their music not for their poetry, I guess.

They are not famous for penning the most clever lines in rock music, so why complaining? The lyrics of this song are not worse than many others. What´s so clever about Start Me Up for instance? Or Honky Tonk Women? Or countless others? If you want poetry go Dylan.

Winning Ugly is a classic (at least in their post-1980-output).

Date: April 27, 2016 19:25

Well said HMS.....I like the song because it bounces and is fun.....god people lighten up!

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 27, 2016 20:53

fwiw, 'winning ugly' in American sports vernacular does not mean cheating to win -- it means winning in a style that's not fun to watch (usually a defensive type of team) or winning with good luck.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 27, 2016 20:56

HMS
Most fans love the Stones for their music not for their poetry, I guess.

They are not famous for penning the most clever lines in rock music, so why complaining? The lyrics of this song are not worse than many others. What´s so clever about Start Me Up for instance? Or Honky Tonk Women? Or countless others? If you want poetry go Dylan.

Winning Ugly is a classic (at least in their post-1980-output).

Even if it may be the case that most Stones fans don't love the band's music, by virtue of the lyrics of the songs, the validity of that assumption does not imply that there is not present any quality about the lyrics from some Stones songs. Whereas, on the other hand, there may be disagreement concerning where such high quality of lyrics instead is absent, or when lyrics even are outright poor. I don't think that each listener necessarily has got an infallible ability to deliver such judgement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-27 20:57 by Witness.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 27, 2016 20:57

I can think of a few "winning ugly" teams: Leeds and Philadelphia Flyers in the seventies. And a few "winning ugly" players too.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 27, 2016 21:18

Stoneage
We're still missing Mr Gaslightstreet's opinion here. After that we're done.

Ha ha! To even suggest that there's one thing that's good about Winning Ugly is clearly the mind of substantial damage. It's cemented in the ranks of the worst of Stones songs.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 27, 2016 21:28

Here here gaslight!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 27, 2016 22:01

Are these better lyrics?

"Mmm yes, you could be mine, tonight and every night
I will be your knight in shining armor
Coming to your emotional rescue
You will be mine, you will be mine, all mine

Riding across the desert on a fine Arab charger"grinning smiley

Winning Ugly is also musically far better than Emotional Rescue, it has a lot going on and has an irresistable groove, just listen to the stellar bassline, simply great, what a hell of a groove. Mick´s voice is powerful and strong, the modern touch of the production does the song no harm, it´s still The Rolling Stones, which no one can deny. In their post-1980-output it is hard to find a better example of their ability to sound contemporary and Stones-like at the very same time. Turn it up, turn it up loud! Sometimes Mick is touched by genius, this is an outstandig good example, just like Ruthless People or Sweet Thing are.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 28, 2016 09:53

This is good lyrics:

Stoned
(Nanker Phelge)

Stoned
Out of my mind
Here I go
Ah, yeah
Where am I at?
Yeah, yeah

2 1 2 0

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 28, 2016 10:45

Talking about the lyrics: I had to check the sleeve to find out what this "bee-hootie"
was, that was staring in Mick's face.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: April 28, 2016 11:17

GasLightStreet
Stoneage

Ha ha! To even suggest that there's one thing that's good about Winning Ugly is clearly the mind of substantial damage. It's cemented in the ranks of the worst of Stones songs.

Nevertheless, trying to find beauty in the gutter is never a bad exercise for the mind. It makes you appreciate life from different angles.
Did you at least listen to this song before replying on this thread? I often don't, but then reading the remarks I do, and often find it can't hurt listening to music with different ears, even when it doesn't change your final opinion.
Every now and then, I try listening to Between the Buttons (still don't like it), Gomper (some parts are not bad), Wandering Spirit (can't listen to it), All The Way Down (still don't like it but it's growing), Where The Boys Go (well, I can see how some people like the guitars), etc...

Maybe the IORR-Stones band could give Winning Ugly a try to show it could sound much better? I know that's a huge challenge, but with a good bass-player, a brass section, and the right guitars, it could work.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 28, 2016 13:48

Winning Ugly is far from a favorite but I have this addiction. When I hear the back-beat of Charlie Watts, the guitar sounds of Keith Richards, etc...I tend to like what I hear even if it's not their best. I guess what I'm trying to say is that - for me - a bad Rolling Stones song is still usually better than a whole lot of other people's material. Plus, it's not fair to expect the Stones to always put out material that matches their peak big four era. I've really never heard a Stones song I couldn't find some value in...except Cherry Oh Baby, but that's just me.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 28, 2016 14:11

HonkeyTonkFlash
a bad Rolling Stones song is still usually better than a whole lot of other people's material.

Let's not forget that in the year 1986 Eric Clapton came out with his album August,
on which he co-operated with Phil Collins, Tina Turner, Robbie Robertson, Gary Brooker
and Robert Cray. A lot of names, but an album I rate way below Dirty Work and that
has been the only other album in 1986 that I even bothered buying.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: April 28, 2016 14:16

marcovandereijk
HonkeyTonkFlash
a bad Rolling Stones song is still usually better than a whole lot of other people's material.

Let's not forget that in the year 1986 Eric Clapton came out with his album August,
on which he co-operated with Phil Collins, Tina Turner, Robbie Robertson, Gary Brooker
and Robert Cray. A lot of names, but an album I rate way below Dirty Work and that

*Shiver* the eighties..., what a bad decade that was.

Date: April 28, 2016 14:17

marcovandereijk
HonkeyTonkFlash

Status Quo's album that year, In The Army Now, wasn't exactly a home run, either...

Date: April 28, 2016 15:20

matxil
GasLightStreet
Stoneage

Nevertheless, trying to find beauty in the gutter is never a bad exercise for the mind. It makes you appreciate life from different angles.
Did you at least listen to this song before replying on this thread? I often don't, but then reading the remarks I do, and often find it can't hurt listening to music with different ears, even when it doesn't change your final opinion.
Every now and then, I try listening to Between the Buttons (still don't like it), Gomper (some parts are not bad), Wandering Spirit (can't listen to it), All The Way Down (still don't like it but it's growing), Where The Boys Go (well, I can see how some people like the guitars), etc...

Maybe the IORR-Stones band could give Winning Ugly a try to show it could sound much better? I know that's a huge challenge, but with a good bass-player, a brass section, and the right guitars, it could work.

I don't need to listen to it. It's ineptability is burned into my brain. Winning Ugly is the brightest turd ever shone.

Date: April 28, 2016 15:22

HMS
Are these better lyrics?

"Mmm yes, you could be mine, tonight and every night
Coming to your emotional rescue

Riding across the desert on a fine Arab charger"

Yes. Because they're funny.

HMS
Winning Ugly is also musically far better than Emotional Rescue, it has a lot going on and has an irresistable groove, just listen to the stellar bassline, simply great, what a hell of a groove. Mick´s voice is powerful and strong, the modern touch of the production does the song no harm, it´s still The Rolling Stones, which no one can deny. In their post-1980-output it is hard to find a better example of their ability to sound contemporary and Stones-like at the very same time. Turn it up, turn it up loud! Sometimes Mick is touched by genius, this is an outstandig good example, just like Ruthless People or Sweet Thing are.

Shine shine shine that turd! Great job! Now you just need to put it in a blender and, oh wait, it seems you already have drank it.

Emotional Rescue blows Turding Ugly away in all facets.

Date: April 28, 2016 15:22

GasLightStreet
matxil
GasLightStreet
Stoneage

I don't need to listen to it. It's ineptability is burned into my brain. Winning Ugly is the brightest turd ever shone.

Will you start it, T? winking smiley

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: April 28, 2016 19:20

kill me, but I like - no, I LOVE the london mix of winning ugly.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 29, 2016 01:23

One thing is sure, the Stones ruled the rock radio that spring: 3 Top 10 US rock radio hits on April 1986 (including Winning Ugly!)

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 29, 2016 01:50

Come to think of it: Wouldn't this one be a great choice for Donald Trump's presidential campaign? I hear he's already using SMU. Why not go for this one?

Re: Track Talk: Winning Ugly
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 31, 2021 23:52

I don't know what everyone's problem is the song rocks

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: November 1, 2021 03:02

I always thought it was a great track.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: November 1, 2021 03:24

Chicago White Sox 1983 were the "winning Ugly" team. Maybe they got this song from that?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 1, 2021 03:28

Kenny Loggins meets Huey Lewis

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 1, 2021 04:30

One of the few Rolling Stones songs that I will say the song actually sucks

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 1, 2021 04:39

At the risk of piling on here, Winning Ugly is quite possibly the worst thing they've ever recorded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-01 04:47 by ryanpow.

Date: November 1, 2021 07:15

georgelicks
One thing is sure, the Stones ruled the rock radio that spring: 3 Top 10 US rock radio hits on April 1986 (including Winning Ugly!)

Maybe in some bizarre small town radio market. I only ever heard Harlem Shuffle on the radio.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1785
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home