Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 15
Re: R.I.P. Prince
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: April 23, 2016 07:24

Chester
Yes, absolutely, underachiever.

He was an incredible, incredible, brilliant musician, but his amazing talent never came out in the records he made. That's what I mean by underachiever.

"Lets go Crazy, Let's get nuts." (Not exactly brilliant songwriting, is it?)

"Rasberry Beret''

"The Most Beautiful Girl in the World''

"Cream''

"I Would Die 4 You''

C'mon, I'd hardly call those great and I could go on and on.

A lot of his stuff sounds dated today, and admit it, when was the last time anyone gave him a thought until yesterday?

Years from now he will never be remembered in the same way as the Stones or the Beatles.

If there is this much attention being paid to his death, I'm curious as to see what happens when Jagger, Richards, McCartney and Dylan finally go.

And what the f**** is 'Hoooo -ooooonky Tonk wimin.. gimme, gimme, gimme, the honky Tonk bluuuues..'?
You pulled a list of three or four of Prince's hits out of your ass to marginalize his entire catalogue. it's about context. Forget the fact that these songs jammed, and sounded like nothing else we had ever heard, but songs like Controversy, Let's Go Crazy, 1999 and on and on.. captured the angry, scary dark clouds of Reagan-era recession-Cold War America. That paranoia, that sense that 'WTF.. we're all going to die anyway because either somebody's going to drop the bomb or I won't have a job, that sense of impending, inevitable doom. I was in high school in the early 80s and I remember the prospect of an apocalyptic purple sky was very real to me then. There was an urgency in his music, lyrics.. Like, 'Something is going to happen if we don't get this shit together...' I wasn't a nihilistic kid by any means, but there was a very real angst in the cultural, political climate and Prince defines that era for me, he spoke to me. You must have been too busy collecting Dylan, Beatles and Stones boots to notice, but things were testy back then.
And this notion that lyrics have to be written in some floral treacly verse or it isn't meaningful is bullshit. Jagger proves that. Prince captured the mood, climate of 80s fear and dread.and I Would Die 4 U is a perfect song of absolute devotion at a time when love is all you have..
Jesus, you're post is Old-Fart Personified.
Like, "What's so great about the Beatles? 'She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah...'
You sound like THAT guy. Yes, music mattered after Dylan, Beatles and Stones..

*nevermond the multiple edits, I'm on an iPad..

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-23 07:41 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 23, 2016 07:51

Rest in peace Prince. What I am equally sorry about is the fact that I never got to see you live in concert. In my estimation, you fit the description of "legendary."

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 23, 2016 09:17

Sighunt
Rest in peace Prince. What I am equally sorry about is the fact that I never got to see you live in concert. In my estimation, you fit the description of "legendary."

Well, maybe we'll get some vintage concerts now that he can't control everything.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 23, 2016 09:31

stupidguy2
Chester
Yes, absolutely, underachiever.

He was an incredible, incredible, brilliant musician, but his amazing talent never came out in the records he made. That's what I mean by underachiever.

"Lets go Crazy, Let's get nuts." (Not exactly brilliant songwriting, is it?)

"Rasberry Beret''

"The Most Beautiful Girl in the World''

"Cream''

"I Would Die 4 You''

C'mon, I'd hardly call those great and I could go on and on.

A lot of his stuff sounds dated today, and admit it, when was the last time anyone gave him a thought until yesterday?

Years from now he will never be remembered in the same way as the Stones or the Beatles.

If there is this much attention being paid to his death, I'm curious as to see what happens when Jagger, Richards, McCartney and Dylan finally go.

And what the f**** is 'Hoooo -ooooonky Tonk wimin.. gimme, gimme, gimme, the honky Tonk bluuuues..'?
You pulled a list of three or four of Prince's hits out of your ass to marginalize his entire catalogue. it's about context. Forget the fact that these songs jammed, and sounded like nothing else we had ever heard, but songs like Controversy, Let's Go Crazy, 1999 and on and on.. captured the angry, scary dark clouds of Reagan-era recession-Cold War America. That paranoia, that sense that 'WTF.. we're all going to die anyway because either somebody's going to drop the bomb or I won't have a job, that sense of impending, inevitable doom. I was in high school in the early 80s and I remember the prospect of an apocalyptic purple sky was very real to me then. There was an urgency in his music, lyrics.. Like, 'Something is going to happen if we don't get this shit together...' I wasn't a nihilistic kid by any means, but there was a very real angst in the cultural, political climate and Prince defines that era for me, he spoke to me. You must have been too busy collecting Dylan, Beatles and Stones boots to notice, but things were testy back then.
And this notion that lyrics have to be written in some floral treacly verse or it isn't meaningful is bullshit. Jagger proves that. Prince captured the mood, climate of 80s fear and dread.and I Would Die 4 U is a perfect song of absolute devotion at a time when love is all you have..
Jesus, you're post is Old-Fart Personified.
Like, "What's so great about the Beatles? 'She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah...'
You sound like THAT guy. Yes, music mattered after Dylan, Beatles and Stones..

*nevermond the multiple edits, I'm on an iPad..

Yup. That's it, right there.

Re: Prince
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 23, 2016 12:12

Chester
Pretty sure "I Would Die 4 You'' "Let's Go Crazy'' etc. are not going to be remembered by history
the same way songs by the Beatles and Stones are, and yet everyone is mourning him as such.

I have tried and failed to understand what the heck "as such" is supposed to mean in that sentence.
But never mind. Chester: You see the title of this thread? People are mourning. It is indeed bad form
to clutter it up with your insistent criticism. Start another thread for that if you really have to.

Throwing around what who said who knows when seems out of place here too. Leave your weapons at the door, people.

Love and light to Prince. Love and light, and thanks and praises.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-23 12:24 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 23, 2016 14:43

R.I.P. Prince

2 1 2 0

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: April 23, 2016 15:07

Mannn, this one is tougher than tough. Yesterday was awful.

I love Gazza for posting this one, sheer smokin' lawless rock n' roll funk soaked abandon and was at the end of this THIRD gig that day FFS.

Prince - "Peach" (Bagley's Warehouse, London - 8th September 1993)

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 23, 2016 15:59

Prince had 39 albums out and people are still talking about the same 5 songs.

Date: April 23, 2016 16:23

More Hot Rocks

Too right! The musical proletariat, what to do.... I wonder how many people have heard N.E.W.S., The Crystal Ball, or Come. God, Emancipation would even be esoteric for them, ha ha ha.

Cheers,
SonicD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-23 16:35 by SonicDreamer.

Date: April 23, 2016 16:24

More Hot Rocks

I thought more thwn that

Date: April 23, 2016 16:38

keefriffhard4life
More Hot Rocks

I thought more thwn that

Yes.. and then there is the infamous Vault.....

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 23, 2016 17:07

I think the vault should stay closed.
There is a reason why HE, the owner, never released any of it.
Keep it under lock and key
unless, he left written notarized witnessed instructions to do otherwise.

I really hope there is a concrete will and binding testament about these matters.
Maybe the vault material primarily featuring another artist would be granted back to them for ownership, etc.
Otherwise, leave it alone!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 23, 2016 17:22

Perhaps turn Paisley Park into a museum - like Graceland.
A curator can select material from from vault which would play only on the premises.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 23, 2016 17:23

More Hot Rocks

Kinda like another band we know

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 23, 2016 17:54

Posted by: Medzvel ()
Date: April 23, 2016 18:04

Date: April 23, 2016 18:13

SonicDreamer
keefriffhard4life
More Hot Rocks

I thought more thwn that

Yes.. and then there is the infamous Vault.....

he technically has 45 albums if you count the stuff labeled as madhouse and NPG releases that he plays and writes most of. so now to spin off of that. emancipation is 3 cd's. 1999 and sign o the times were double albums when released. crystal ball is a 3 cd set. prince has enough non album b sides for another disc at least of music. not to mention all of the guest appearances he made and songs he co wrote for others plus he pretty much wrote and played on the few albums by the time

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: April 23, 2016 18:38

Stupidguy2,

I get what you are trying to say r.e. Prince's lyrical message in the Reagan 1980's about the sky is going to fall if we don't get our act together, etc. I was in high school then, too.

But didn't the Stones say the same thing on Gimme Shelter nearly 20 years earlier?

And with a song that sounds a billion times more sinister, urgent and brilliant than "1999''

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 23, 2016 19:05

Re: Keith's laudatory comment -- do you notice that Keith is mellowing and/or changing his public image from guitar rebel to quirky grandfather. He got very good publicity in the leadup to his solo record and the kids book he did a few years ago. Is Jane Rose still around and have a hand in this? I doubt it's an act or calculated -- he seems to be letting us see that side of him more.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 23, 2016 19:12

wonderboy
Re: Keith's laudatory comment -- do you notice that Keith is mellowing and/or changing his public image from guitar rebel to quirky grandfather. He got very good publicity in the leadup to his solo record and the kids book he did a few years ago. Is Jane Rose still around and have a hand in this? I doubt it's an act or calculated -- he seems to be letting us see that side of him more.

Agreed. And thankfully none of them have embraced showbiz lovey-doveyism.
Well, not yet anyway.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: April 23, 2016 19:16

Prince was a rare thing. A great singer, writer, performer and musician. Also, a superstar who had a huge amount of integrity, a man that loved to play, a man that wasn't always chasing the big money like other acts of his statue.

I will remember the 21 nights that he played Londons O2 as some of the best gigs I have ever seen, especially the three aftershow gigs I was lucky enough to see.

Incredible musicianship, and an amazing presence!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 23, 2016 19:34

Nothing Compares To U.
Great composition, superb performance by Sinead O'Connor.
The two didn't gel. He said he didn't like women using bad language. She told him to @#$%& off.

Date: April 23, 2016 19:42

jlowe
Nothing Compares To U.
Great composition, superb performance by Sinead O'Connor.
The two didn't gel. He said he didn't like women using bad language. She told him to @#$%& off.

LOL. I bet he wasn't saying that to the legions of women he had horizontal and vertical dalliances with, "Pleaseeee don't talk dirty in bed, or I will send you home!"

Prince was frequently a deliciously contrary character; Gemini you see, ha ha.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 23, 2016 19:51

Chester
Stupidguy2,

I get what you are trying to say r.e. Prince's lyrical message in the Reagan 1980's about the sky is going to fall if we don't get our act together, etc. I was in high school then, too.

But didn't the Stones say the same thing on Gimme Shelter nearly 20 years earlier?

And with a song that sounds a billion times more sinister, urgent and brilliant than "1999''

So what are you saying then, you prefer the stones to prince? What a shocker!

I think almost everyone on this board would feel the same way.

But why are you upset that other people are upset, and trying to marginalize how they feel?

Does it make you feel better?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 23, 2016 19:54

35love
I think the vault should stay closed.
There is a reason why HE, the owner, never released any of it.

I disagree : Prince was notoriously anal about his vaults but that's not a good thing. The sole reason why we got to hear interesting tapes (like the Den Haag'88 aftershow) is his-then keyboard player had a bad cocaine habit and he started to sell tapes to feed his vice. Otherwise nada...

And (let's taste the irony here...) the same record labels that prevented him to release as many albums as he wanted (like the 3-cd set "Camille" project from around 1987) will line up at Prince's estate to sign a deal for posthumous released... smoking smiley

Date: April 23, 2016 20:24

So what are you saying then, you prefer the stones to prince? What a shocker!

I think almost everyone on this board would feel the same way.

But why are you upset that other people are upset, and trying to marginalize how they feel?

Does it make you feel better?

It's a shame he died at 57.
And no, it does not make me feel good that so many people are upset. Quite the contrary.

All I'm saying is what I said from the start.
With his amazing musical talent/ability/gift I expected better records. Or at least more good records than what he produced.

Why is that so offensive?

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: April 23, 2016 21:06

because news of his death is an utter shock and you gotta stand up and scream at people "no biggie, so the F what. i've heard better."
saw him live and his show/he was mind-blowing. was so good and talented i though he was from another planet. made me feel human and alive.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 23, 2016 21:31

I am not a Prince fan by any means but I can think of five tunes of his that I like which is more than the Beatles and Springsteen. With all his chameleon like, Bowie like changes, elaborate staging and expensive stage outfits (clothing) Prince kept it real.

Date: April 23, 2016 21:35

I never said "No biggie.''
I never said "So the F what.''
I never said "I heard better.''

Just like you, I have seen him live.
And just like you, I thought his musical ability was from another planet.

I just happen to think a musician from another planet should be held to the highest of standards and he was capable of better records than he put out, records that will stand the test of time and be remembered in history and I don't think his will.

I'm not saying they were all terrible, quite the contrary, I just thought someone that gifted was capable of better records.

Sorry, just my opinion.

Date: April 23, 2016 21:55

By posting this I may well head into the precarious territory of becoming Public Enemy Number One on IORR. I'm perfectly content to risk such misadventure, as this is arguably the most eloquent appraisal's of Prince's formidable, magical talent I have heard in the past few days, from the most unlikely person.

An Alternative Appreciation of Prince's Musical Comet

Cheers,
SonicD

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1583
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home