Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 15
Re: R.I.P. Prince
Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: April 22, 2016 12:54

Why? So soon? I won't every forget him.

God bless you Prince!

dead.flowers

"May the good Lord shine a Light on you ..."

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: April 22, 2016 14:40

Yes, absolutely, underachiever.

He was an incredible, incredible, brilliant musician, but his amazing talent never came out in the records he made. That's what I mean by underachiever.

"Lets go Crazy, Let's get nuts." (Not exactly brilliant songwriting, is it?)

"Rasberry Beret''

"The Most Beautiful Girl in the World''

"Cream''

"I Would Die 4 You''

C'mon, I'd hardly call those great and I could go on and on.

A lot of his stuff sounds dated today, and admit it, when was the last time anyone gave him a thought until yesterday?

Years from now he will never be remembered in the same way as the Stones or the Beatles.

If there is this much attention being paid to his death, I'm curious as to see what happens when Jagger, Richards, McCartney and Dylan finally go.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 22, 2016 14:42

thank you BV for making this a sticky

Posted by: twanghound ()
Date: April 22, 2016 14:58

Vanity died in february this year of kidney failure, possibly a result of her crack and alcohol addiction in the 90ies.
Prince and she were in love for a while in the 80ies and he wrote some songs about her then (and created the group Vanity 6).
She was 57 too when she died.
Sad.
Sometimes it snows in April...

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 22, 2016 15:48

This is a short article, club show experience 2013 in Mpls., of course:
[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 22, 2016 15:54

Chester

If ignorance is bliss, I hope you stay happy.

Your lack of knowledge and perspective don't deserve any more of my time or, hopefully, anyone else's. I can only hope that the above will be your last post in this thread as, not only do you show an incredible lack of knowledge, your lack of decency and decorum are borderline offensive at this point. I am certain that I will not reply to your trolling again.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Side note -> bv if you find Chester's posts inappropriate for this thread and feel inclined to remove them from this thread, please feel free to take this one away as well. It was most likely a waste of my time writing it anyway.

Date: April 22, 2016 16:00

I grew up in Minneapolis, have been to First Avenue many times, and have seen Prince in concert.

I stand by my post.

Someone with that amount of God-given talent should have been capable of writing something better than "It's just another Manic Monday, I wish it was Sunday, That's my Fun Day.''

That's not being ignorant.

That's being honest and perhaps this message board could use a bit more it at times.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 22, 2016 16:03

I hope Dr Pepper doesn't have to stop running those "Little Sweet" commercials. I think they're funny as hell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-22 16:08 by tatters.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 22, 2016 16:04

This is a great one of Prince and Maceo Parker, former sax player with James Brown.

If anyone is on Facebook you can see it, but don't think it's on youtube.

Prince

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 22, 2016 16:19

Chester

He was an incredible, incredible, brilliant musician, but his amazing talent never came out in the records he made. That's what I mean by underachiever.

"Rasberry Beret''

"The Most Beautiful Girl in the World'' 7 Grammy awards and a Oscar hardly equate to underachiever

"Cream''

"I Would Die 4 You''

A lot of his stuff sounds dated today, and admit it, when was the last time anyone gave him a thought until yesterday?

Years from now he will never be remembered in the same way as the Stones or the Beatles.

If there is this much attention being paid to his death, I'm curious as to see what happens when Jagger, Richards, McCartney and Dylan finally go.
7 Grammy awards and a Oscar hardly equate to an underachiever

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-22 16:36 by TheGreek.

Date: April 22, 2016 16:37

The Oscar was won for Purple Rain.
That was in the mid 80's.

What did he do after Purple Rain?
Oh yeah, Under the Cherry Moon. After that, no idea.

I'm not disputing he was one of the greatest musicians in history.
What I'm saying is with all of that talent he had, he should have recorded better records. His true talent was not represented on the records he produced.

For someone who could play guitar like he did on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps'' I expected something better than "You must be the Most Beautiful Girl in the World/You're the reason that God made a girl.''

It's kind of like everyone talking about how great Madonna is. I don't consider songs like "Holiday'' any great contribution to the world of music, and Madonna doesn't doesn't have a sliver of that talent Prince did.

Just my opinion, nothing more.
And I'll bet I'm not alone.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 22, 2016 16:49

crawdaddy
This is a great one of Prince and Maceo Parker, former sax player with James Brown ... don't think it's on youtube*.

* Until now.

Wow. Thanks for the great video link, Crawdaddy!
Get chills at around 7:00 minutes in ...

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-22 16:55 by schillid.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 22, 2016 17:01

When was that performance, Crawdaddy and Schillid?

Date: April 22, 2016 17:06

IDK

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: April 22, 2016 17:15

Clearly Chester doesn't "get" Prince. I suspect he doesn't "get" Jagger either....

Posted by: Woodski ()
Date: April 22, 2016 17:32

I am in agreement with Chester on this one.Prince was undoubtedly a virtuoso guitar player and brilliant all round musician,but his music did not move me and his songwriting is certainly not on a par with the likes of Steve Wonder,Bowie and Bob Dylan.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: April 22, 2016 17:38

I could pull single lines of lyrics from any artist and say, "look at that stupid line." Just lazy arguments. Dylan's speed-era lyrics from the mid-60s are often complete nonsense on their own, who holds that against him?

Date: April 22, 2016 17:47

I definitely get Prince.

I don't think you are getting me.

No question: He was a great musician.

No question: Comparatively speaking, his records and lyrics should have been much better than they were.

Date: April 22, 2016 17:52

Of course every artist writes stupid throwaway lines, many of them.

It's all about the rest of the canon.

Dylan had some bad lines within bad songs, but a great abundance of his work is brilliant.

Same thing with the Stones. And the Beatles.

Throw away the obligatory bad work, and Prince's best does not come close to the best of the Stones, Beatles or Dylan.

Again, that makes him an underachiever.

Posted by: swaymusik ()
Date: April 22, 2016 18:09

Prince always challenged the limitations of society.
No question that's what many don't < get > in today's winner or loser world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-23 13:34 by swaymusik.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 22, 2016 18:19

Prince albums were similar to Who albums - excepting the great Who's Next - 2 strokes of genius and 10 strokes of the crappiest filler ever.

That said, when Prince was good, he was very good. I have a mix CD of my favorite songs by him and it stands up well.

Was kinda shocked by his sudden death, as he always seemed so active and healthy and was relatively young - my age!

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: April 22, 2016 18:28

He was OK, saw him at MS Garden. That was OK too.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 22, 2016 18:31

Thanks, Koen, Here's more,,,,

Prince - performng live with Sting and Ronnie Wood - on the Parade Tour at Wembleey Arena in London UK - August 1986.

Sting and Ron Wood perform on stage with Prince at Wembley Arena, London, 14th August 1986.
Michael Putland

"I saw a snippet of this on a documentary (I think on PBS) and have been looking
for it ever since. I believe it's called "The Prince of Paisley Park?" My fav
part was when he seemingly asked a random member of the audience if they sing.
It turned out to be him talking to Mica prior to her joining in "Just My Imagination".

VIDEO: [www.facebook.com]

[prince.org]

Prince performs on stage with Ronnie Wood at a small London club gig after a Wembley show, August 1986.
Michael Putland

[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-22 19:20 by exilestones.

Date: April 22, 2016 18:44

Prince : 1999

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: April 22, 2016 18:46

I just heard on the radio that he had vault that has about 2000 unreleased songs in it, said an album a year of him could be released for a very long time...

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: April 22, 2016 18:52

I was very shocked to hear passed away that young yesterday. Some here say that he will be forgoten. I think it's true to a point not because of his artistic value, but from the fact he didn't let for his own reasons , his music or at least live performances be on the internet. Anyway very sad news.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: April 22, 2016 19:04

Chester

"Rasberry Beret''

"The Most Beautiful Girl in the World''

"Cream''

"I Would Die 4 You''

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 22, 2016 19:21

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 22, 2016 19:26

exilestones

thumbs up
Nice

I saw a screen shot last night credited to a news station in Nashville, TN that changed the coloring of the weather radar to be different shades of purple rather than the "normal" blue-yellow-red.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 22, 2016 19:39

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2007
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home