Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 26
Re: Rolling Stones Tongues
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 1, 2019 15:55

Did Alan Aldridge actually ever made a remark about his Day-Tripper-Illustration and the US-Version of the RS-Logo?

Because Alan Aldridge should see the vast similarities at a first glance. Or was his viewpoint: "Imitation is the highest form of recognition" ?

Pity that Alan Aldridge doesn't live anymore ....

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 1, 2019 18:15

Irix
Did Alan Aldridge actually ever made a remark about his Day-Tripper-Illustration and the US-Version of the RS-Logo?

Because Alan Aldridge should see the vast similarities at a first glance. Or was his viewpoint: "Imitation is the highest form of recognition" ?

Pity that Alan Aldridge doesn't live anymore ....

I can't recall any remark anywhere from him. I guess that artists among eachother usually have the attitude that "the best way to get inspiration is by looking at what others have done before you, and add your personal touch to it".
"Imitation is the highest form of recognition" could very well be his approach, but when connected with possibly the most famous logo in the world of art (music, etc.) anyone would like to get the spotlights on, I guess.
I became involved in "research" about the logo history in 2013 and was very distantly hoping to get in touch with AA at some point. Too bad that it will never happen.
I still hope to find out one day why his very nice "tiger image" in connection with the Rock and Roll Circus project didn't make it.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: June 2, 2019 03:02

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 2, 2019 05:30

There's also the aspect of:

Pasche didn't see that Beatles art.

Mick did... and kept his mouth shut.

All the others involved kept their mouths shut.

Pasche kept his mouth shut.

Then again, to my knowledge, no one from The Beatles, overall, ever said anything.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 2, 2019 06:59

GasLightStreet

Then again, to my knowledge, no one from The Beatles, overall, ever said anything.

How can you possibly state with such certainty that Pasche didn't see the Aldridge book? I know (because I had already graduated from university in 1969 when it was published and could afford to buy things like that) that when it (the book) was first published it got an IMMMENSE amount of publicity and it would have been hugely contrary for anyone studying contemporary art and design and/or illustration at the time not to have looked at it. So Pasche might well have seen it.

Likewise, how can you state with similar certainty that Mick (Jagger?) did see it. He quite probably did, but those were tumultuous times and he may not have?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: June 2, 2019 11:31

GasLightStreet

Well well, that is a "nice" bit of speculation!
I'll add some more winking smiley:
When Aldridge was asked to do some artwork connected to the 1968 Rock and Roll Circus project, he, once having made some interesting things, tried to rip off Mick (the Stones), so he was shut out from the project grinning smiley
After AA's book was published Mick saw it and liked the ice licking girl and made up the "Kali story" to Pasche (assuming Pasche, as a young starting artist, would quite likely have seen AA's book too) by way of revenge.
Pasche made "his version" (among many others) based on the ice licking girl, send it to Braun and made sure Braun would get hold of AA's book, so from there on the USA logo version found life. Ernie found out about that and pinched the underlying idea to make "his version" and started a war with Braun. The Beatles were paid a fortune to keep their mouths shut, because "everybody" already "knew" that the Stones logo was going to become a huge success spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
It all fits in with CaptainCorella's historic knowledge, so why not.

Aaaggghh, what a load of crap that is ...

I'd say: Let's stick to the known facts and go on from there smileys with beer

Date: June 3, 2019 04:03

georgie48
GasLightStreet

Well well, that is a "nice" bit of speculation!
I'll add some more winking smiley:
When Aldridge was asked to do some artwork connected to the 1968 Rock and Roll Circus project, he, once having made some interesting things, tried to rip off Mick (the Stones), so he was shut out from the project grinning smiley
After AA's book was published Mick saw it and liked the ice licking girl and made up the "Kali story" to Pasche (assuming Pasche, as a young starting artist, would quite likely have seen AA's book too) by way of revenge.
Pasche made "his version" (among many others) based on the ice licking girl, send it to Braun and made sure Braun would get hold of AA's book, so from there on the USA logo version found life. Ernie found out about that and pinched the underlying idea to make "his version" and started a war with Braun. The Beatles were paid a fortune to keep their mouths shut, because "everybody" already "knew" that the Stones logo was going to become a huge success spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
It all fits in with CaptainCorella's historic knowledge, so why not.

Aaaggghh, what a load of crap that is ...

I'd say: Let's stick to the known facts and go on from there smileys with beer

HAHAHAHAH! I like your version! It makes sense!

Date: June 4, 2019 04:28

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 4, 2019 14:30

This Tour-Bus above parked near the main-entrance of Berlin-Waldbühne on 10-Jun-2014: [iorr.org] .

The pictures on this Tour-Bus are from Sebastian Krüger - [www.SebastianKruger.org] .

- - - - - - - -

Another VW-Bus from Germany:

[www.Instagram.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-27 14:30 by Irix.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: June 4, 2019 19:33

CaptainCorella
How can you possibly state with such certainty that Pasche didn't see the Aldridge book? I know (because I had already graduated from university in 1969 when it was published and could afford to buy things like that) that when it (the book) was first published it got an IMMMENSE amount of publicity and it would have been hugely contrary for anyone studying contemporary art and design and/or illustration at the time not to have looked at it. So Pasche might well have seen it.

It looks to me like Pasche's design is his own. He probably did see the Beatles illustrated lyrics book, but his design isn't a copy of the illustration in the book.

But Braun's redrawn version of it looks for all the world like a close copy of the mouth of the girl in the Aldridge illustration, done in the style of the Pasche design.

Date: June 4, 2019 21:02

blivet
CaptainCorella

It looks to me like Pasche's design is his own. He probably did see the Beatles illustrated lyrics book, but his design isn't a copy of the illustration in the book.

But Braun's redrawn version of it looks for all the world like a close copy of the mouth of the girl in the Aldridge illustration, done in the style of the Pasche design.

winking smileythumbs upsmileys with beer

Date: June 5, 2019 01:07

CaptainCorella
GasLightStreet

Likewise, how can you state with similar certainty that Mick (Jagger?) did see it. He quite probably did, but those were tumultuous times and he may not have?

THERE'S ALSO THE ASPECT OF.

Aspect: a particular status or phase in which something appears or may be regarded.

It starts the entire thing. In other words, PERHAPS. How can you possibly ask when I made it abundantly clear.

Date: June 5, 2019 01:10

blivet
CaptainCorella

That's it. Pasche's logo is way different. What Braun did to it... and then somone took Braun's changed Pasche and made it really ugly, which, fortunately, was NEVER used for any releases.

Date: June 5, 2019 02:34

Date: June 7, 2019 15:45

That wasn’t the only makeshift fix that would stick with the Stones. Back in London, John Pasche, a student at the Royal College of Art, worked on a logo for the band and its new label. Mr. Jagger had been inspired by the tongue of the Hindu goddess Kali, Mr. Pasche recalled, “but I didn’t want to do anything Indian, because I thought it would be very dated quickly, as everyone was going through that phase at the time.” Still, Kali’s mouth and lips “triggered something,” he said. (It didn’t hurt that Mr. Jagger had a recognizable mouth himself.)

In New York, Mr. Braun had a deadline and needed the logo. As the tongue design was still unfinished, he settled for a rough one-inch version, faxed over from London by Marshall Chess, the founding president of Rolling Stones Records. “I didn’t tell him what I was going to do with it,” Mr. Braun said.

His in-house illustrators finished the mouth — narrowing the tongue, adding more white accents and a black void for the throat — before blowing it up to cover the entire inside sleeve of the American release (Mr. Pasche’s version was used internationally).

“I thought it was going to get me into trouble,” Mr. Braun said. Instead, his touches on the logo, which still shifts slightly in size and color for different events, often persist to this day, including on the official ads for the “ZIP Code” tour and countless pieces of Stones memorabilia.

Mr. Pasche barely noticed. “It was a relaxed affair,” he said. “I just think things were happening fast and needed to be done, so it was redrawn.”

Mr. Chess, meanwhile, only found out about Mr. Braun’s revisions 45 years later. “He was so nervous about it!” said Mr. Chess, 73.

Both Mr. Braun and Mr. Pasche are pleased with the results of their overlapping contributions to rock mythology. Initially paid just 50 pounds ($76 at current rates) for the design, Mr. Pasche sold his copyright to the band for £26,000 (about $40,000 at the time) in 1984. In 2008, the Victoria and Albert Museum in London bought his original artwork for £50,000 ($92,500).

[www.nytimes.com]

Date: June 17, 2019 16:44

Date: June 22, 2019 01:40

Date: June 22, 2019 04:33

Date: June 22, 2019 12:45

Date: June 23, 2019 14:28

Date: June 23, 2019 15:01

Chicago 190621

Date: June 23, 2019 15:02

Chicago 190621

Date: June 26, 2019 12:40

Date: July 1, 2019 01:39

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 1, 2019 01:48

HECK!!!! ... they all bought the same T ………

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Xam ()
Date: July 1, 2019 02:01

I wonder who owns the copyright on that picture?

Date: July 1, 2019 16:44

Date: July 1, 2019 16:46

Date: July 10, 2019 13:15

Date: July 10, 2019 13:16

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2623
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home