Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 26
Re: Rolling Stones Tongues
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 19, 2016 16:14

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 19, 2016 16:15

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 20, 2016 00:54

Irix
To Post [www.iorr.org] :

roller99

(...) Ernie has no rights to the tongue logo, as he worked for Craig Braun (...)

That's a problem between Ernie Cefalu and Craig Braun.
It's a matter of the contract - if it's not specified otherwise, normally all the work of an employee, done during his working time, belongs the employer.

roller99

Marshall Chess was asked by Mick Jagger to create a logo for the band. Chess reached out to Craig Braun's company. Craig had one of his artists, Ernie, to do something. He came up with the tongue. He was paid $200, and that was the end of it. After Chess showed it to Mick, Mick felt there was something missing. Given that Mick owned the work having paid $200 for it, he gave it to Pasche, and Pasche created what everyone knows now.

Counter statement:

The Rolling Stones' Office in London (UK) contacted John Pasche on 29-Apr-1970 for a Poster and a Logo. - [www.iorr.org]

A short time later John Pasche met with Mick Jagger and Mick showed John Pasche a picture of the Hindu-Goddess 'Kali' regarding the design of the logo. - [www.iorr.org]

Marshall Chess said in an interview: "As soon as we saw John Pasche’s now famous design, there was no doubt that was the one and we bought it outright." - [sabotagetimes.com]

Shortly before the release of 'Sticky Fingers', Craig Braun, owner of the Sound Packaging Corporation, had in New York a deadline and needed the logo. As the tongue design was still unfinished, Craig Braun settled for a rough one-inch version, faxed over from London by Marshall Chess, the founding president of Rolling Stones Records. - [www.nytimes.com]

Craig Braun's in-house illustrators finished the mouth — narrowing the tongue, adding more white accents and a black void for the throat — before blowing it up to cover the entire inside sleeve of the American release. John Pasche’s version was used internationally. Pasche barely noticed: "It was a relaxed affair. I just think things were happening fast and needed to be done, so it was redrawn." - [www.nytimes.com]

-------------------------------------------------------

To Post [www.iorr.org] :

roller99

Ernie graduated college in 1969.....first assignment....for a upcoming 1970 campaign. His Dolls Alive was 1969.

It was toward the end of 1969: [rockpopgallery.typepad.com] .

I've only wrote: "it was also not completely new in 1970" (because someone else had a similar idea already in 1967).

Alan Aldridge's Day Tripper illustration (The Beatles Illustrated Lyrics) was btw done before 29-Oct-1969. - [pqasb.pqarchiver.com] .

roller99

See, all you date and fact checkers check wrong.

Like your "bad punctuation" facts: [www.iorr.org] .... sad smiley

(Btw - The Rolling Stones wore the T-Shirts with the Tongue-logo by Ernie Cefalu in 1973 as to see in the Book "The Rolling Stones 50 " (Thames & Hudson, 2012) and at Getty Images.)

roller99

You guys debate dates, and the artists are still friends.

Why then this permanently discussion that John Pasche would not have been the first designer of the Stones Tongue & Lips logo .... confused smiley

Thanks Irix, these are great links. What Marshall Chess says in the sabotage times article indicates there were multiple tongue logos to choose from. I asked Ernie the other day if this whole controversy bothers him. His response: "No, as a matter of fact, Pasche and I love it. The more controversy there is, the better it is for us financially". Ever occur to anyone that these players created the controversy themselves?

Ernie has done over 200 albums, and his tongue is presently in a museum owned by the Smithsonian....

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 20, 2016 16:54

exilestones
GasLightStreet

The classic original, at least on an official Rolling Stones item.

It showed up a few other places...

A slight tweak on it here...

Date: May 20, 2016 20:47

Date: May 21, 2016 19:34

Geronimo at work on a version of the Rolling Stones' tongue logo

New exhibition opens for Rolling Stones artist

Stones' guitarist Keith Richards with artist Geronimo Credit: Tom Palmears

The rock artist Geronimo, a friend of the Rolling Stones, is opening a new exhibition
today at the gallery of The Club in Cafe Royal. His works include the tongue logo,
made from flattened drinks cans, that became synonymous with the band.

Geronimo, who is self-taught, also goes by the name Jumping Bull. He met Keith
Richards by chance when The Rolling Stones were touring and they became good
friends.

The band had a big influence on Geronimo's work, inspiring much of his art,
including paintings, portraits and sculptures. The exhibition will be followed
by a tour of his work.

Date: May 21, 2016 19:38

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-21 19:46 by exilestones.

Date: May 22, 2016 19:43

Date: May 23, 2016 17:44

Date: May 23, 2016 18:12

SUNDAY, MARCH 13, 2016
Rolling Stones in Cuba: Sympathy for the Devil

On March 3, 2016 also known as Music Freedom Day I posted a blog entry on the upcoming Rolling Stones concert in Cuba on March 25th and the continued censorship in Cuba of iconic music artists such as Celia Cruz and Olga Guillot.What the Castro regime did to rock n rollers in Cuba in the 1960s who listened to the Rolling Stones is reflected in the art work below by Sergio Lastres. Today I read, in Spanish, the following essay by rock fan, former Cuban prisoner of conscience and Christian Liberation Movement spokesman Regis Iglesias. Below is a translation of the essay.

Artwork by Sergio Lastres

Sympathy for the Devil
by Regis Iglesias

I remember how difficult it was to have one of the latest albums of the Rolling Stones in the Cuba of the 80s.It always had been, even now that maybe in stores run by military and Interior Ministry officials their CDs maybe on sale, when usually any musical production of their satanic majesties costs around 15 euros and the average monthly salary of Cubans on the island.

We listened to their songs using a thousand homemade contraptions to have the signal from the rock stations in South Florida that eventually came to Cuba in a semi-clandestine manner. Neither on TV stations or local stations, all-government, broadcast their videos or their successes, except perhaps once their old hymn "(I Can not Get No) Satisfaction". Of course not.

The Stones were, or that is the image they sold, a rebel band, a cry against the established and totally irreverent with power. In a communist system they were definitely not welcome. But still they were in Tito's Yugoslavia in the late 60s, where they were defrauded by their presentations, which ended in youth riots. Incidentally, most Yugoslav spectators were youth linked to the Communist Party and the official nomenklatura who detested the music of the Stones.

Not chastened, a few years ago they returned to play in a square behind the Bamboo Curtain. The Chinese could see the Rolling and almost without any prior announcement, as the opening act, a dissident artist, Cui Jian, the father of rock in the empire of paper, youth idol during the Tiananmen demonstrations in 1989. Nevertheless, communist leaders succeeded in vetoing two songs of the rebels Mick and Keith, as sexist "Lets Spend the Night Together" and "Honky Tonk Woman", of course!

I never spent more than one day without hearing the music of the Stones, as it touches every good follower of the oldest and best distillation of rock and roll in the universe. Still, rock lovers we made do with a thousand difficulties to delight us with our musical idols. Never, until I spent seven and a half years in Cuban prisons cells.

Then I could not listen to the Rolling Stones, but asked friends to send me the lyrics of their songs, and could in the solitude of my cell set up an imaginary scenario and tried to follow the riffs of Richards, the shrieks of Jagger in my mind. I had a black shirt with the famous logo designed by John Pasche, that raunchy red tongue that seems to mock everything. Two posters with the five Stones adorned my cell. It was a matter of rock honor to keep as a symbol of my inner freedom in the middle of those walls, in front of some jailers who were trying to stop me and also prevent me keeping my hair with the Jagger cut.

All these whims I was able to keep them with determination. I was in that place for demanding that Cubans could decide, for being a manager of a demand for a referendum for laws that guarantee the right to popular sovereignty. I would not let them also continue to prevented listening to the music of the Rolling Stones in my mind and being free, as much as I could, to do what I please with respect to my musical and spiritual preferences.

Exiled in Madrid, I was able to see them at the Bernabéu a couple of years ago, all my life and that of my friends passed before my eyes.

The Rolling Stones are an industry that poses as rebels, but they are an industry. Also rock and roll, does not lack jockeys (jineteras) - the regime's euphemism for prostitutes and thus deny their existence, official rockers or regaton fans who at the last minute are willing to memorize "Gimme Shelter" for a kiss by the old snouts of Mick and have something to take home to eat.

It is not the '80s when everyone was embarrassed to be invited to give concerts in countries where citizens were segregated by their skin color, their ideas or beliefs, where citizens had no right to prosper economically, and less a choice to elect and be elected to be part of a fair and democratic government. Now it does not matter because, no matter in China or Cuba people are segregated and oppressed, imprisoned, exiled and murdered. We are in the world of posers, in the world of interests, and the Rolling Stones are no exception on this point.

I will rejoice that some of my friends on the island will enjoy, if they can, the concert of the Rolling Stones. I say "if they can" because surely the grounds of the Sports City will be filled by the regime with young communists, students of military academies, informers, rapid response brigades (the paramilitaries) and "reliable" people for the security of the system.

It would not be the first time, and to the baseball game between the Major League team of the United States, Tampa Devil Rays (I think, after all, there is something, a mocking allusion to the devil behind all this) and a selection of the regime -part of all this show designed from Washington by the Obama Administration - already announced that the tickets would be "by invitation". A hidden swallow does not make spring, but if it at least to be in the place, no matter if it is 200 or 300 meters from the stage, I will rejoice, but it would not leave me satisfied with the Rolling Stones.

The Rolling Stones Cuba Concert and Blackouts

HAVANA TIMES – I’m desperate for the Rolling Stones concert in Cuba to begin and to end. I have nothing against rock’n’roll, quite the contrary, it is one of the few rhythms that I can dance with a minimum of expertise. Although I must confess that I was always more a fan of the Beatles.

My problem with the Rolling Stones has nothing to do with the music but instead with electricity. For a week now, every time the workers light the stage where the group will perform the power goes off around the neighborhood. Some days we’ve had power cuts from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

They announced that this is the biggest stage assembled in the history of Cuba but said nothing that it would also consume the most electricity. Next time it would be good to bring power plants, solar panels or windmills.

I cannot believe that such a group does not have their own generating capacity and is forced to steal mine and that of my neighbors. You cannot imagine what it has cost to keep our website in cyberspace and refrigerated foods so they do not spoil. All for culture.

Date: May 24, 2016 07:56

Date: May 24, 2016 08:01

The Rolling Stones Exhibitionism

Date: May 25, 2016 18:52

originally posted by Kurt

Unbranding goes everywhere from lopping off the tongue of The Rolling Stones (for their North Korean tour, naturally).

Date: May 29, 2016 17:47

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: May 31, 2016 22:09

Great thread Exile smileys with beer

Date: June 1, 2016 03:33

95 FULL RESOLUTION TONGUES

[www.pinterest.com]

.....keep on rolling.....

Date: June 1, 2016 19:02

You Got to Roll Me
95 FULL RESOLUTION TONGUES

[www.pinterest.com]

Thanks! I downloaded them all.

Date: June 1, 2016 19:09

Date: June 1, 2016 20:18

95 full resolution tongues
Date: June 1, 2016 03:33

[www.pinterest.com]

.....keep on rolling.....

Re: 95 full resolution tongues
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 1, 2016 10:30

...They're GREAT!! (Well, some of them aren't that great to my personal taste; but hey - the COLLECTION is. smoking smiley )

Good work, YGTRM!

P.S.: are you the collector (Biesiada), or did you just happen to find this on Pinterest?

Date: June 1, 2016 10:59

Very cool... and the first I have not been slammed by pinterest with a blocking/log-in screen. I have pretty much given up clicking on pinterest links due to that log-in blocking screen alwasy popping up because I am not a member, but for Stones tongues I gave it a try and it worked. Sweet

Date: June 2, 2016 00:24

jambay
Very cool... and the first I have not been slammed by pinterest with a blocking/log-in screen. I have pretty much given up clicking on pinterest links due to that log-in blocking screen alwasy popping up because I am not a member, but for Stones tongues I gave it a try and it worked. Sweet

Yeah, the blocking when going to their site was a pain. I gave in and created an account. It was easy and they don't send me emails or anything. There's a lot of Rolling Stones on Pinterest.

There's also much Stones on Tumblr.com

Date: June 2, 2016 19:24

3D pop art print featuring the iconic logo for the Rolling Stones.

The artwork features the image, printed, cut, colored and rendered in 3D.

This artwork comes in a black shadow box frame slightly larger then 14x11" and is ready-to-hang.

[www.etsy.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 10, 2016 12:20

roller99

I asked Ernie the other day if this whole controversy bothers him. His response: "No, as a matter of fact, Pasche and I love it. The more controversy there is, the better it is for us financially".

At least a honest answer .... smiling smiley

roller99

Ernie has done over 200 albums, and his tongue is presently in a museum owned by the Smithsonian....

Can't find the link to the exhibition piece (maybe it's here) .... but Ernie Cefalu's tongue is also to see at Exhibitionism :

[www.huffingtonpost.co.uk]

Looks like Charlie's shirt, worn in 1973:

[www.gettyimages.com]

It's in the 272-pages Exhibitionism Book too:

[stonesexhibitionismshop.com]

But the Exhibitionism Book mentions also John Pasche as the 1st designer of the Stones' Tongue&Lips logo:

[stonesexhibitionismshop.com]

Quote from the official announcement of Exhibitionism, New York City -- [www.rollingstones.com] :

"The original works of key collaborators who helped to make the band not just musical but cultural icons are also on show, including (...) John Pasche, who designed the band’s iconic tongue logo (...) "

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-21 17:10 by Irix.

Date: June 10, 2016 21:05

Date: June 10, 2016 23:10

Ernie Cefalu's tongue missed the one thing John Pasche's tongue had, ironically:

Class.

Ernie Cefalu's tongue looks like some kind of chintz or chotsky logo you'd find in a shitty t-shirt shop on Bourbon Street.

Date: June 19, 2016 03:04

"Don't Stop" now exilestones, you are doing great!

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 8, 2016 20:48

I got this one today from Dave at Design Turnpike.
The guy is a genius!

Custom-made, one-off, using 1976 Bicentennial Michigan license plates.
The white teeth and accents are current-era Michigan license plates turned backwards.

Mounted on painted wood slates it measures 36" x 36"

Date: July 8, 2016 22:58

Cool thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-15 20:34 by jambay.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home