Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Happy 40th Black and Blue!
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 21, 2016 03:07

When Black and Blue came out, I was not thrilled with the first songs I heard on the radio, Fool To Cry and Hot Stuff. They grew on me though, and now I love this funky little album!
[www.examiner.com]

Re: Happy 40th Black and Blue!
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 21, 2016 03:18

Hot Stuff and Hand of Fate are the only ones I listen to regularly anymore.
Sometimes Crazy Mama, and occasionally Memory Motel - "She got a mind of her own And she use it well..." - the best part.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 21, 2016 03:38

Hairball
Sometimes Crazy Mama, and occasionally Memory Motel - "She got a mind of her own And she use it well..." - the best part.

Isn't it, though?? Just a little line that absolutely kills...Keith's voice sounds so sweet and pure and sexy as hell. Love the whole album, actually.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-21 04:32 by latebloomer.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: April 21, 2016 03:46

HonkeyTonkFlash
When Black and Blue came out, I was not thrilled with the first songs I heard on the radio, Fool To Cry and Hot Stuff. They grew on me though, and now I love this funky little album!
[www.examiner.com]

I don't think anyone was real thrilled when this came out especially after IORR. Good play for Sunday afternoons.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: April 21, 2016 04:20

It's a crime that they left Slave off this album and instead used tracks like Melody and Cherry Oh Baby.

I usually only listen to Hand Of Fate, Crazy Mama and Hey Negrita on this one. I never liked Fool To Cry because Jagger's falsetto gets too annoying.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-21 04:23 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 21, 2016 04:31

Regardless, awesome album. So not typical Stones!

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: April 21, 2016 04:36

I alway liked it. And now I love it.
Hand of Fate is one of the best rock tracks
The Stones ever recorded.

It's definitely a album that got better with time!

Date: April 21, 2016 04:37

'Melody' is the only song I always skip over on this album... Otherwise, it really is a good one!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 21, 2016 04:44

First album I bought with my own money earned mowing lawns.
Never forget how proud I was to have the day it came out.

Love the album. All of it.
Like a mustard loves a ham.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: April 21, 2016 06:51

As so many have said before, it's got to be the best sounding album they ever put to wax.

Love Hand of Fate, Hey Negrita, and Crazy Mama. Cherry, Oh Baby was, in my humble opinion, the first truly lame song they recorded once they hit their stride (you can decide when that happened for yourself -- I'll take 1968.

I like that it jumps all over in terms of styles.

T@3

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 21, 2016 08:42

Better than Some Girls IMO. No trash like Lies.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: April 21, 2016 09:33

Black and Blue resembles Their Satanic Majesty’s Request in its outlandishness and lack of hits but whereas the latter at least had a unifying theme B&B (Jagger in particular) is positively schizophrenic. When Mick isn’t crying like a baby on this album he’s gunning someone down or borrowing Billy’s Afro. I appreciate that some people like the ‘eclectic’ vibe to B&B but I just think it’s weird. Some OK/interesting songs but with the exception of Memory Motel nothing on the album is better than She’s A Rainbow, Citadel, 2000 Man, 2000 Light Years...or On With The Show. Ok, I also kinda like Hey Negrita but to me it sounds like it belongs on a Wood solo album. And there are so many guitarists on B&B (and no Keith on lead vocals) I’m not even sure it should be classified as a Rolling Stones record.

But if someone wants to buy me booze in Tokyo tonight I’ll gladly celebrate B&B’s 40th anniversary.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: April 21, 2016 09:54

Hey Negrita is a GOOD SONG

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: swaymusik ()
Date: April 21, 2016 12:13

Black and Blue:
Great album as its predecessor IORR
Happy 40th!

smileys with beer

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: April 21, 2016 12:20

Fantastic album with a very good production work.
It's the first stones album on cd that I bought many years ago.

Posted by: Mimi73 ()
Date: April 21, 2016 12:41

Great album with many brilliant songs!
Feels extremly good when you hear it on vinyl!
cool smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 21, 2016 12:46

Hot stuff. Can't get enough. hot smiley

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: April 21, 2016 12:49

I like every song except Cherry Oh Baby. I can´t stand that song. That´s why I always play Black and Blue on CD, so I can easily program my CD player to skip that song. Love the rest of the record. Love the groove on Hot Stuff, Hand of Fate and Hey Negrita. Love the lead guitars on Hot Stuff and Hand of Fate. Love the ballads - Fool to Cry and especially Memory Motel. A killer record with great production. The sound is crisp and clear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-21 13:37 by The Worst..

Date: April 21, 2016 13:31

latebloomer
Hairball

Isn't it, though?? Just a little line that absolutely kills...Keith's voice sounds so sweet and pure and sexy as hell. Love the whole album, actually.

+1

Keith's harmony vocal on MM is absolutely stunning. «She sang a song to me, stuck right in my brain...»

Excellent! thumbs up

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 21, 2016 13:52

One of their best albums, imo.
I love every song on it, except Fool To Cry which is an awful pain to my ears. Cherry Oh Baby is nice if you dont take it too serious. The remaining songs are in a word marvelous. This album is better than GHS, IORR and Some Girls. It is not as good as Dirty Work but still better than everything they released after Dirty Work.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 21, 2016 15:13

Loads of great stuff onit.

Ranks firmly in their "Great-4-part-II" (IORR - B&B - SG - TY)

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 21, 2016 15:37

Swayed 1967 said:

(Jagger in particular) is positively schizophrenic. When Mick isn’t crying like a baby on this album he’s gunning someone down or borrowing Billy’s Afro.

While I absolutely love B&B, I think this is spot on and really funny.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 21, 2016 16:03

Glad to see a lot of positive comments about this album. For me this was part of a period when the Stones made music that didn't always grab me at first, but after repeated listens I realized I loved it. Much of Exile had that effect on me. I'll admit I was aghast when I first heard Fool To Cry and Hot Stuff. Had the Stones lost their nerve and gone disco? Now I really like both those tunes. Hot Stuff doesn't offer much lyrically but it's such a soulful groove. I especially love the way they did it on Love You Live.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 21, 2016 16:34

Played this LP to death in the first year of marriage. Wife still with me, LP long gone. Have to purchase it again on vinyl, I DO like it a lot. Memory Motel the standout, with Hand of Fate a close second. Cherry oh Baby the weakest, by a l-o-n-g way!

Rod

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: April 21, 2016 16:36

I remember being in 8th grade and I along with my brother who was 4 years older stayed up on school night to listen to WBCN in Boston play the entire album at midnight.
He thought it was crap, and I loved it. I called the local record store daily for the next 3 days and once it was in I begged my Dad to bring me and get it which he did in exchange for yard work. Most of my friends were into Aerosmith, and Boston but I think I went through 3 or so copies of B@B vinyl that year. I still love it.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 21, 2016 17:02

It's a fabulous album with a great mix of styles with two absolute classics on it in Hand Of Fate and Memory Motel.

And to my ears it's the best sound they ever achieved. The music is beautifully uncluttered and has real room to breathe.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: April 21, 2016 17:08

I like it a lot more in retrospect than I did when it came out. Pretty solid, but only 8 tracks. Sure, Slave and Worried About You would have put this album near classic status, but that would have robbed Tattoo You of a couple of its best tracks. I really like the production!

Ross

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 21, 2016 17:19

Silver Dagger
It's a fabulous album with a great mix of styles with two absolute classics on it in Hand Of Fate and Memory Motel.

And to my ears it's the best sound they ever achieved. The music is beautifully uncluttered and has real room to breathe.

thumbs up

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 21, 2016 17:26

Silver Dagger

YES! It SOUNDS amazing, fresh, vibrant and full of space. AND music!

Rod

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: April 21, 2016 17:42

7 killer
1 filler (cherry)
one of their best and their last big experiment. after that they lent back into their classic style.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1574
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home