Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: 'Everybody Needs Somebody To Love' Which Version?
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 27, 2016 01:46

djgab
it's written in French "défense de fumer" in front of the stage, "not allowed to smoke". Thus, the picture has been taken in France or at least in French speaking place.
I wonder who's for the drum kit behind Charlie ?

On this clip filmed for French TV in 1966 they're wearing the same outfits:

Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: March 25, 2019 19:11

The arrival of a Mexican copy of UK-No 2, - with True Stereo ENSTL reminded me of this thread.
It holds the same version as UK "Rock´n´Rolling Stones" - 5.07 - with the characteristic little "jump" in the very last second.
I thought this could be a reason for a little summary of the diffrent releases and productions.

ENSTL exist in two versions - 2 different takes.
One long, - from UK-"No.2" - & and one short, - from US-"Now"

The long one has been released in Mono, Electronically Re Processed Stereo - and True Stereo.

The short one in Mono and Electronically Re Processed Stereo.

The long UK-"no 2" version in Mono, - on vinyl and CD, - fades around 5.00 -
with local differences, - (4.58 on Portuguese vinyl "No.2" - 5.01 on Japanese
CD - "No. 2")

UK-"No.2" was only released in Mono in the UK - and a lot of other contries, -
but ERPS-released in :
Holland - 1968 (called "-3" - with later re-releases). France - 1973, - L´age D´or, - Vol 3, - "Time Is On My Side"
Japan - 1981 (L20P 1014)
Those 3 ERPS-productions are Pretty different ! ! !

The short US-"Now" version is (of course) Mono on Mono-releases, - but
ERPS on US-"Now" London PS 420, -
and on Japanese "Now"-releases . . . . First one released 1969. - I have a "LAX"-copy 1978 - and this production is different from the US-"Now" - I can´t tell for the earlier Japanese releases . . .
It fades around 2.56, - but again with local variations (2.54 on German London CD "Now" - Mono, - to 2.58, "The Rest Of The Best, German Box set, - Mono)

The True Stereo ENSTL - the long version, - can be found on several releases,
The"Rock´n"Rolling Stones,-"Stones Story 2" Holland (5.05 -omits the little "jump") - "Heart Of Stone" Italian compilation, - Australian Box set RSB.1 -
Mexican "No.2" - 1978 - just to mention what I am aware of - at this moment . . .

What about the info/rumor "The ENSTL, long version - True Stereo, - runs slightly faster on the German release of "Rock´n`. . . . .
Well . . . To the Best of my listening-abilities I can hear NO difference in the running speed, - comparing the UK to the German . . or any other releases of the long version, - Mono, ERPS or Stereo . . .
BUT - the German "Rock´n`" fades at 5.01 ! - 6 sec. earlier than the UK-release.
I have played them simultaneously, - but please feel free to compare for yourself !

The end of the line : "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love"- long version, - is the only Rolling Stones track that has been released in True Stereo on vinyl only, - and not on CD !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-25 19:33 by HenrikBB.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 25, 2019 19:22

One of the few highlights on Live Licks

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: March 25, 2019 21:48

When I discovered the long version in 1965 in France on N°2 I found it great and since I think "what a shame " that the inferior short version of "Now " is common all along the whole world...!!!!!

Posted by: benstones ()
Date: March 25, 2019 22:46

This one is my favorite version:
[www.youtube.com]

Mick Jagger & Raphael Saadiq at the Grammy's Awards 2011

Benjamin.

Date: March 25, 2019 23:27

HenrikBB
The arrival of a Mexican copy of UK-No 2, - with True Stereo ENSTL reminded me of this thread.
It holds the same version as UK "Rock´n´Rolling Stones" - 5.07 - with the characteristic little "jump" in the very last second.
I thought this could be a reason for a little summary of the diffrent releases and productions.

ENSTL exist in two versions - 2 different takes.
One long, - from UK-"No.2" - & and one short, - from US-"Now"

The long one has been released in Mono, Electronically Re Processed Stereo - and True Stereo.

The short one in Mono and Electronically Re Processed Stereo.

The long UK-"no 2" version in Mono, - on vinyl and CD, - fades around 5.00 -
with local differences, - (4.58 on Portuguese vinyl "No.2" - 5.01 on Japanese
CD - "No. 2")

UK-"No.2" was only released in Mono in the UK - and a lot of other contries, -
but ERPS-released in :
Holland - 1968 (called "-3" - with later re-releases). France - 1973, - L´age D´or, - Vol 3, - "Time Is On My Side"
Japan - 1981 (L20P 1014)
Those 3 ERPS-productions are Pretty different ! ! !

The short US-"Now" version is (of course) Mono on Mono-releases, - but
ERPS on US-"Now" London PS 420, -
and on Japanese "Now"-releases . . . . First one released 1969. - I have a "LAX"-copy 1978 - and this production is different from the US-"Now" - I can´t tell for the earlier Japanese releases . . .
It fades around 2.56, - but again with local variations (2.54 on German London CD "Now" - Mono, - to 2.58, "The Rest Of The Best, German Box set, - Mono)

The True Stereo ENSTL - the long version, - can be found on several releases,
The"Rock´n"Rolling Stones,-"Stones Story 2" Holland (5.05 -omits the little "jump") - "Heart Of Stone" Italian compilation, - Australian Box set RSB.1 -
Mexican "No.2" - 1978 - just to mention what I am aware of - at this moment . . .

What about the info/rumor "The ENSTL, long version - True Stereo, - runs slightly faster on the German release of "Rock´n`. . . . .
Well . . . To the Best of my listening-abilities I can hear NO difference in the running speed, - comparing the UK to the German . . or any other releases of the long version, - Mono, ERPS or Stereo . . .
BUT - the German "Rock´n`" fades at 5.01 ! - 6 sec. earlier than the UK-release.
I have played them simultaneously, - but please feel free to compare for yourself !

The end of the line : "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love"- long version, - is the only Rolling Stones track that has been released in True Stereo on vinyl only, - and not on CD !
it's true ...! on "more hot rocks" it's Mono...!!

Date: March 25, 2019 23:37

The long version HAD to be on "Now" but I have read somewhere that the confusion came from Chris Shrimpton who confused the two recorded reels...

Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: March 26, 2019 09:20

jp.M
The long version HAD to be on "Now" but I have read somewhere that the confusion came from Chris Shrimpton who confused the two recorded reels...

It seems very likely, that the Short Version was used by some kind of mistake, -
and that is the reason why Andrew Loog Oldham used the Long Version on
Old Abkco - "Now" in 1986, - because that was the way it originally was ment to be.

That it is mis-labeled 2.57 on the CD is very "Abkco-ish" . . . and has led
to some confusion . . . just look earlier in this thread.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 26, 2019 14:03

No studio!

Live at the Cirkus Stockholm - Licks Tour 2003

mostly b/c I was there, though....

Long live the Licks Tour!!! Bring back that M.O. before it is too late!!

Date: March 26, 2019 14:05

benstones
This one is my favorite version:
[www.youtube.com]

Mick Jagger & Raphael Saadiq at the Grammy's Awards 2011
Yes I hoped someone would mention this rendition. I always thought that Jagger could have pursued Saadiq more after this. Would have made a good couple for solo ventures. Certainly better than the guys he did GITD with.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1692
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home