Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Rating Deluxe Editions
Posted by: alexisjagger ()
Date: April 20, 2016 20:40

franzk
1. Some Girls - shows that it should've been a double album
2. Sticky Fingers - shows that they should've released live album from Leeds in 1971.
3. Exile On Main St. - shows that it should've been a single album with Plundered... and Pass The Wine on it.

Agree to the ranking:

some Girls: I think the second disc is as good as the first one.

Sticky fingers: Live songs ruled

Exile on main St: Title 5, Plundered my Soul, Following the river are good but not great

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 20, 2016 20:41

boogaloojef
The Some Girls bonus disc is better than Emotional Rescue.

Absurd! It is what it is, a bonus of outtakes. Great to have, as is, but must keep it mind, it is just a set of bonus songs, released to milk Stones fans for more money.

Several tracks would have made great b-sides but for the most part the songs are not better than anything released officially.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 20, 2016 23:33

instead of all this single albums/double albums what to put in and what to leave out argument

why didnt they just do exile as a single album and the material they left out, as another single album of a diferent name released maybe 6-8 months later.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: April 20, 2016 23:48

* FOUR FLICKS
* THE BIGGEST BANG

1. SOME GIRLS DELUXE (with Live in Texas 78 DVD it is complete)
2. TOTALLY STRIPPED (not because I was at The Paradiso 1995...hot smiley)
3. CHARLIE IS MY DARLING
4. EXILE DE LUXE (with Stones in Exile DVD)
5. GET YER YA YA'S OUT DELUXE (with Gimme Shelter Deluxe DVD)

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 21, 2016 03:17

But the Leeds hasn't, unfortunately, hasn't been released on vinyl.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 21, 2016 04:04

whitem8
But the Leeds hasn't, unfortunately, hasn't been released on vinyl.

Instead it was released in an overexpensive box set... When you think about it, Brussels, L.A 1975, Leeds 1982 etc... were all released as lossless downloads for 8€ only and then again on vinyl.
Leeds should have been available seperately.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: April 21, 2016 04:11

LeonidP
boogaloojef

Absurd! It is what it is, a bonus of outtakes. Great to have, as is, but must keep it mind, it is just a set of bonus songs, released to milk Stones fans for more money.

Several tracks would have made great b-sides but for the most part the songs are not better than anything released officially.

The problem with Emotional Rescue is the Stones picked the wrong songs for it. They could have picked tracks like Claudine, So Young, Hang Fire, Little T&A, Black Limousine etc but instead they picked tracks like Indian Girl, Send It To Me and Emotional Rescue etc...

The only tracks I like much on Emotional Rescue are Let Me Go and She's So Cold.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-21 04:16 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 21, 2016 04:32

boogaloojef
LeonidP
boogaloojef

The problem with Emotional Rescue is the Stones picked the wrong songs for it. They could have picked tracks like Claudine, So Young, Hang Fire, Little T&A, Black Limousine etc but instead they picked tracks like Indian Girl, Send It To Me and Emotional Rescue etc...

The only tracks I like much on Emotional Rescue are Let Me Go and She's So Cold.

Some of that makes sense. ER works. Let Me Go Works. But what they left off... eh. Could've been an entirely different - and better - album.

If they'd'of finished those tracks!

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: April 21, 2016 04:34

TheGreek
LieB
Some Girls bonus better than the original ... I don't know what you guys have been smoking. Sure, the bonus songs are nice, but they don't have the melodies and depth of the material on Some Girls. Same with Exile and Sticky bonus discs, although they contain a few gems. I made a Spotify playlist with my own mixture of the "best of the Taylor years", combining songs from The Exile and Sticky bonus discs along with relevant tracks from Metamorphosis, which became a pretty neat 12 track album. I'll post it some day.
could not agree any more . It is funny to me to think the bonus disc are better than the offical album releases .What do people think that the bonus some girls disc would get that much airplay on the radio ? over the offical album ,think about miss you ,shattered, respectable , far away eyes,when the whip comes down .The glimmers know how to make albums !

Personally, I dislike Miss You and Far Away Eyes. It would have been fine with me if Everything's Turning To Gold was on the album instead of one of those 2 tracks.

Posted by: alexisjagger ()
Date: September 20, 2020 04:10

Now we have Goats Head Soup released as a deluxe edition. With this new release, I will rate the 4 disc remasters as follows:

1.-Some Girls: Good first disc, and the second disc is just awesome.I love Do you think I really care, Tallahassie Lassie, No spare Parts, We had it all. The other songs in general are also good and new, we don't have remixes and alternate takes to fill this disc.

2.-Goats Head Soup: The first disc is good and the second one also. I liked the 3 new songs, specially Scarlet, I love that song. The alternate takes and instrumental versions are really good.

3.-Sticky Fingers: Love the first disc, my favorite disc of the stones, the second disc is good, but not great. I mean, the alternate takes are irrelevant in general from me. The live tracks are great.

4.-Exile on Main St: Exile is not a bad album, and the second disc well, we get new songs, although the alternate takes aren't really great to me.

So, how would you rank these re-releases of studio albums ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-20 04:16 by alexisjagger.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 20, 2020 09:45

And soon, another box set -- Steel Wheels Live.

plexi

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 20, 2020 13:34

franzk
1. Some Girls - shows that it should've been a double album
2. Sticky Fingers - shows that they should've released live album from Leeds in 1971.
3. Exile On Main is the greatest album in rock history .The bonus disc should have excluded So Divine, Loving Cup , Good Time Women Title7and added Hill Street Blues the Japanese edition with the AllDown the Line OutakeTravelin Manand instrumental versions of songs like Ventilator Blues

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-20 13:39 by Taylor1.

Date: September 20, 2020 14:34

1. Charlie Is My Darling
2. The Brussels Affair box set
3. Ya-Ya's
4. Some Girls (would have been higher on my list, had they included Live In Texas')
5. Goats Head Soup
6. Sticky Fingers
7. Exile
8. Satanic
9. Beggars
10. Let It Bleed

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: September 20, 2020 14:48

1.Some Girls (even if Fiji Gin is the great missed opportunity)
2.Sticky Fingers (for the Roundhouse goodies)
3.Charlie is My Darling
4.Brussels Box ( for the whole thing including the book)
5.Ya-Ya's

HMN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 20, 2020 15:55

1. Rolling Stones in Mono
2. Some Girls
3. Charlie is My Darling
4. Goat's Head Soup
5. Exile
6. GYYYO
7. Sticky Fingers
8. TSMR
9. Beggar's Banquet
10. Let It Bleed

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 20, 2020 18:03

1. Goats Head Soup
2. Some Girls
3. Exile On Main St.
4. Sticky Fingers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-21 01:09 by JordyLicks96.

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: September 20, 2020 21:04

mailexile67
Some girls Bonus Disc is almost better than the original!!winking smileythumbs up

No way spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: September 20, 2020 21:14

OK my rating:

1 Some Girls (Best bonus studio)

2 Ya Ya's (Great)

3 Sticky Fingers

4 Exile (I love plundered my soul)

5 Goats Head Soup (for Save me & Scarlet cool smiley)

6 Totally Stripped (like Voodoo Lounge tour)

rating the original only would be different.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 20, 2020 21:34

1. Goats Head Soup
2. Some Girls
3. Exile
4. Sticky Fingers

Now i hope for the "Tattoo You" reissue!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-20 21:36 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: September 20, 2020 21:36

1. Brussels Box Set from 2011
2. all else

Seriously, when looking at all of the Deluxe Issues, it is the inclusion of contemporaneous live stuff that makes the dog's tail wag. Look at the GHS Super Deluxe, Sticky Super Deluxe, and the Charlie is My Darling packages. 3 amazing concerts where the band was at the top of its game. Beggars and Let It Bleed were wasted opportunities to give us some other amazing live pieces and (still unreleased) very compelling studio trax. The ABKCO legacy still interferes with our hearing some great stuff from 68-69 and beyond.

As for the others, Some Girls was fun and had some good trax on Disc 2. However, one quick listen to the 2LP boots Accidents Will Happen will remind us how much more remains. It also illustrates that Emotional Rescue's biggest hindrance is it's having been the 1st studio LP where Mick's Top-40 and dance-capable tastes were allowed to trump Keith's more rock & roll tendencies.

Exile, on the other hand, was, in retrospect, a real waste. Packaging even The Great Lost Live Album would have elevated it so much compared to 3 tracks from the era and the rest being outtakes with the modern-day Mick's words and vox overlaid. "Plundered My Soul" is a decent track, but, as noted above, crap like "Following the River" and "Dancing in the Light" rank down bottom with crap like "Anyway You Look At It" (all-time worst Stones' track, ever!), "Back to Zero", "The Lantern", "Gomper", and "Indian Girl".

As for the GYYO and RnRC deluxe sets, more live stuff from pre-81 is always welcome. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why the band did not do / has not done like Pearl Jam and sell recordings of its own shows right after each gig.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: September 20, 2020 21:42

stonesstein

As for the GYYO and RnRC deluxe sets, more live stuff from pre-81 is always welcome. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why the band did not do / has not done like Pearl Jam and sell recordings of its own shows right after each gig.

My thought was include it in the ticket price...you get a download code right on your ticket and 2 weeks after the show it's available for download.

If they want that measly extra $10 per show, cuz that's all they're getting, then just increase the ticket price by $10.

Date: September 20, 2020 22:12

Ups I forgot RnR Circus spinning smiley sticking its tongue out quite nice release

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: September 20, 2020 22:37

treaclefingers
stonesstein

My thought was include it in the ticket price...you get a download code right on your ticket and 2 weeks after the show it's available for download.

If they want that measly extra $10 per show, cuz that's all they're getting, then just increase the ticket price by $10.

A most EXCELLENT idea!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 21, 2020 00:20

GOATS HEAD SOUP
STICKY FINGERS
EXILE ON MAIN STREET
SOME GIRLS

Beggars Banquet Records remastered and reissued The Cult's DREAMTIME-SONIC TEMPLE albums with fantastic packaging/liner notes, as well as two more later LPs with just original liner notes, with no additional tracks. There is a box set of B-sides etc and there were two omni-bus reissues with a ton of extras of LOVE and SONIC TEMPLE.

Very well done, overall. I wish the Stones could've done a box set or stand alone albums of extra material as they did with EOMS so one wouldn't have to purchase everything again and again like they've done and feel ripped off.

The GHS reissue is tops for me due to the Giles Martin remix and the excellent bonus disc, with SOME GIRLS remaining the biggest blown opportunity.

Date: September 21, 2020 01:23

glimmertwin1
Ups I forgot RnR Circus spinning smiley sticking its tongue out quite nice release

I bought the vinyl which is nice. What is the superdeluxe like?

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 21, 2020 02:11

Plundered My Soul proves that Exile should have been a single album? laughable!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 21, 2020 02:45

OK so I’ve been pretty critical about the goats head soup Deluxe Edition. But as a vinyl collector the stones trap keeps calling me. So have any of you guys gotten it on vinyl? How is the pressing? Mastering? And is it the same mix as a universal masters that were released?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 21, 2020 05:38

I just considered Bonus song content, i.e. Sticky has the live Marque & Get Lungs Out etc, but then ranking is too difficult. Just the bonus/added songs for consideration makes this an easy task!

1. Some Girls
2. Exile On Main St.
3. Goats Head Soup
4. Sticky Fingers

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 21, 2020 06:50

To me its easily:

1. Some Girls - the bonus disc is just priceless
2. Exile - I think the bonus disc is great, even with a song or two from the regular record. I thought they were different enough and I really enjoyed the packaging and Stones In Exile.
3. Sticky Fingers - the live stuff was tremendous, and I rate it this way for Leeds. Personally, the second disc I could live without. Roundhouse is great, but I just prefer full shows so for me, I could have just had the Leeds bonus discs and be done. I never really revisited the alt takes or Roundhouse stuff on disc 2 beyond an initial listen.
4. Goats Head Soup - kinda similar to Fingers. Brussels and Leeds are both fantastic, but Brussels we already had so it knocks it down a peg that its not "new". Then the second disc was similar to Fingers to me, all fine but nothing I need to listen to really more than once. I do think the alt takes are better on Goats Head Soup, cause the songs are actually really different and cool. But they'll never take the place of the originals for me and then I just really didn't care for any of the 3 new songs. To me, I understood what Mick said when he said "things that you didn't like and didn't finish." I heard them and thought there was a reason they were left by the wayside. Its been the only box so far that didn't have something I needed that I didn't have before for repeated listens.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-21 06:51 by RollingFreak.

Date: September 21, 2020 11:48

whitem8
OK so I’ve been pretty critical about the goats head soup Deluxe Edition. But as a vinyl collector the stones trap keeps calling me. So have any of you guys gotten it on vinyl? How is the pressing? Mastering? And is it the same mix as a universal masters that were released?

New mix from Giles Martin, new mastering. Sounds great.

But the CD/Bluray Deluxe box is even better, because more stuff is included.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1886
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home