Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526Next
Current Page: 25 of 26
Re: Stones, Dylan and McCartney to play Coachella
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 26, 2016 02:47

There are several shuttle lines, but can't find any other specific info. other than this I found by clicking on the FAQ link here:Shuttle stops

How far are the hotels/shuttle stops from the festival?

Stops range from about 5 to 25 miles away from the Polo Grounds.

How will I know what shuttle to take at the end of the night?

All shuttles lines will be clearly marked with the properties that the specific line is going to.
There will also be VMT staff to direct you to the correct loading area. Your shuttle line will be labeled clearly.

__________________________________________________________________________________

On a side note, we're having a scorcher of a weekend here in SoCal - it was a hot 94F earlier today where I live near the beach, and 10 or more degrees hotter inland, so out of curiosity looked at 10 day forecast for Indio.
Looks like it's 99F today and tomorrow (evening temps at 70) of some tough and dry Desert heat, but will eventually be dropping 10 degrees by the time the first festival weekend rolls around.
Should be fine with the evenings cooling down to lower 60's... thumbs up

Indio 10 day weather forecast

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-26 02:54 by Hairball.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 26, 2016 05:46

2014Slayer
La Quinta Resort is a shuttle stop, but not a Park & Ride. I wonder if you jump on at one stop if the shuttle goes around to all the stops? If so it might be a good way to meet, that way we can go onto the venue from there. I might message the promoter with that question.

great, please do and let us know

plexi

Date: September 26, 2016 18:37

If things weren't starting to get exciting enough already, here's some news to shake things up.
A series of earthquakes apprx. 30 miles from Desert Trip this morning:

Magnitude 4.3 earthquake shakes desert
Colin Atagi, The Desert Sun 8:12 a.m. PDT September 26, 2016

Shake, Rattle, and Roll

A magnitude 4.3 earthquake shook the Coachella Valley Monday morning and it was the largest of a series of temblors centered in the Salton Sea.
The earthquake, which happened 7:31 a.m., was centered in the Salton Sea, 3.7 miles southeast of Bombay Beach, according to the United States Geological Survey. The area is about 60 miles southeast of Palm Springs.
USGS initially reported the earthquake was a magnitude 4.2 before upgrading it slightly.
It was just one of at least seven earthquakes to originate near Bombay Beach Monday morning.
Just after 4:30 a.m., there were two temblors that registered a 2.6 and 2.8 on the Richter scale. Hours later, at 6:15 a.m., there was a magnitude 3.3 earthquake.
Then, at 7:33 a.m., there was a magnitude 3.0 earthquake. That was followed by a pair of magnitude 2.5 earthquakes at 7:35 and 7:45 a.m.
There have not been any reports of damage.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: September 26, 2016 21:54

Costco has a "new offer" - GA passes for $348 (vs. $435), both weekends.

[costcotickets.com]

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: September 26, 2016 21:57

Hairball
If things weren't starting to get exciting enough already, here's some news to shake things up.

Shake, Rattle, and Roll

A magnitude 4.3 earthquake shook the Coachella Valley Monday morning and it was the largest of a series of temblors centered in the Salton Sea.
The earthquake, which happened 7:31 a.m., was centered in the Salton Sea, 3.7 miles southeast of Bombay Beach, according to the United States Geological Survey. The area is about 60 miles southeast of Palm Springs.
USGS initially reported the earthquake was a magnitude 4.2 before upgrading it slightly.
It was just one of at least seven earthquakes to originate near Bombay Beach Monday morning.
Just after 4:30 a.m., there were two temblors that registered a 2.6 and 2.8 on the Richter scale. Hours later, at 6:15 a.m., there was a magnitude 3.3 earthquake.
Then, at 7:33 a.m., there was a magnitude 3.0 earthquake. That was followed by a pair of magnitude 2.5 earthquakes at 7:35 and 7:45 a.m.
\

Just a little rock and roll.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 26, 2016 21:57

DeanGoodman

[costcotickets.com]

Meanwhile a pair just sold on Stubhub for 225 and the count is going up by about 100 a day.

My guess people are just now getting around to looking for lodging, freaking out and deciding to dump their tickets.

I would maybe hassle everything for about 150 but would run into the same problem of where to stay etc.

Date: September 26, 2016 22:02

Things are really shakin in the Desert!

Date: September 27, 2016 00:39

A nice way to beat the heat in an air conditioned photography exhibit:
The Desert Trip Photography Experience
Featuring: Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Roger Waters, The Who and Neil Young

Video

A one-of-a-kind, 36,000 square foot exhibit with over 200 classic and rarely seen images from rock's glorious heyday. Featuring the work of over a dozen of the biggest names in rock & roll photography, including:

Michael Cooper, Henry Diltz, Lynn Goldsmith, Bob Gruen, Elliott Landy, Gered Mankowitz, Jim Marshall, David Montgomery, Terry O’Neill, Denis O'Regan, Ethan Russell, Barrie Wentzell, Baron Wolman and more...

2 p.m. – 7 p.m. Friday-Sunday (both weekends)
One of the largest exhibits of its kind
Massive indoor tent
Central bar and lounge
Air-conditioned
Free to all ticket holders

The Desert Trip Photography Experience captures the nascent energy of the ’60s and ’70s rock milieu, with well over 200 photos featuring Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Roger Waters, The Who and Neil Young. Shot by legendary photographers synonymous with the era, these images are as timeless as the music itself. These sometimes choreographed but often candid moments collectively tell the story of rock & roll’s rise to cultural prominence on both sides of the pond. An era fueled by the insatiable drive to innovate with this new art form, freely test the limits of creativity, and in the process, come to defined modern notions of youth, fame, style, sex appeal, confidence, and consciousness. And, of course, cool.

The photographers whose work are on display represent the crème de la crème of rock photography from an era before musicians maintained carefully controlled public personas. These shooters, highly skilled with their cameras, were equally adept at embedding themselves with their subjects—attending the same parties, sampling the same intoxicants, sometimes sharing the same apartments. Through a 35mm lens, friendships formed, trust took root, stories were recorded or concealed and an otherwise fleeting moment became immortalized. The stories of the images are as fascinating as the subjects themselves. The results sometimes stripped away the artifice of celebrity photography. In its place came a new standard in realism, where even the most posed pictures still reveled in the personalities of those being photographed. And where even the most candid shots managed to maintain an enviable amount of attitude.

Occupying 35,000 sq ft. of space, with many images printed larger than they have ever been before, the exhibit captures six of the most iconic artists of all time in relaxed and unscripted moments—at home, off stage, in the studio, and on tour. Other shots capture the epitome of rock star heroes at their most heightened creative states—in the throes of artistic expression on stage or delving deep into their craft in the studio.

With contributions curated across a dozen renowned photographers’ image archives, plus selections from Getty Images, the Desert Trip Photography Experience offers one of the largest collections of vintage rock imagery ever assembled. A once-in-a-lifetime look at six of rock's biggest acts through the lenses of many of the music's most revered witnesses.

Date: September 27, 2016 03:22

DeanGoodman

[costcotickets.com]

wish I had seen this last week, just ordered tix thru deserttrip.com and could have saved about $200.

p

Date: September 27, 2016 03:28

Dan
DeanGoodman

[costcotickets.com]

Meanwhile a pair just sold on Stubhub for 225 and the count is going up by about 100 a day.

My guess people are just now getting around to looking for lodging, freaking out and deciding to dump their tickets.

I would maybe hassle everything for about 150 but would run into the same problem of where to stay etc.

could have saved even more money thru stubhub, dammit. I am staying in Redlands about an hour away but for only $60/night.

p

Date: September 27, 2016 03:41

more on a place to gather --

here's a brief report from a friend: Liz ate at the one [Burgers and Beer] in Rancho Mirage and thought it was OK. The Yard House and BJ's Brewhouse are right there and have better food and beer selection in my opinion.

also -- They're in the same general vicinity as the Burgers and Beers. All of the restaurants are going to be in Rancho Mirage and not in Indio.

but of course, we don't know about how close a shuttle stop may be nor how crowded the shuttles might be. I am thinking of just driving and parking in the big lot which is free.

The people attending weekend two will have the advantage of knowing what the experience of those attending the first weekend has been. Weekend One is kind of a shot in the dark.

plexi

Date: September 27, 2016 04:08

The Yard house is great, but as you mention is further out in Rancho Mirage - apprx. 13 miles away.
And to clarify, Burgers and Beer and The Beer Hunter are both in neighboring city La Quinta which is closer to Desert Trip in Indio - about 5 miles away.

Either way, I'm open to anywhere. There's even the option of just going in to the festival when the gates open at 2:00 and meet somewhere in there.
There's supposed to be about 100 places to get food > Grub, and many places to get a beer or two - including this: BEER

___________________________________________________________________________________

Edit - The food places I posted above are not to be confused with the expensive fancy pants 'CULINARY EXPERIENCE' which is being sold for $179 single day pass or $499 for 3 day pass. eye popping smiley

I'm talking about individual vendor stands selling burgers, tacos, pizza, Thai food, etc., etc., etc. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-27 04:20 by Hairball.

Date: September 27, 2016 04:20

I would imagine that anything inside the festival site would be expensive, sorta like stadium prices. La Quinta may be a better option than Rancho Mirage.

p

Date: September 27, 2016 04:30

You could be right as far as being expensive, but I'm under the impression that each of the vendors (from established restaurants for the most part) will sell food at their menu prices.
If you click on the link of any of the places, it takes you directly to their established menu and/or website.
For example, Top Round is one of the food vendors listed and the link on Desert Trip site takes you to this. > Top Round
Unless they raise their prices, the cost seems reasonable - 'Original Roast Beef $5.99'.
If anything, all those on site places will probably be over crowded though...

Date: September 27, 2016 05:19

Hairball
You could be right as far as being expensive, but I'm under the impression that each of the vendors (from established restaurants for the most part) will sell food at their menu prices.
If you click on the link of any of the places, it takes you directly to their established menu and/or website.
For example, Top Round is one of the food vendors listed and the link on Desert Trip site takes you to this. > Top Round
Unless they raise their prices, the cost seems reasonable - 'Original Roast Beef $5.99'.
If anything, all those on site places will probably be over crowded though...

It's probably pay to play so it would likely be more.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 27, 2016 13:12

Hairball

Shake, Rattle, and Roll

Funny story , first visit to Palm Springs August 1985 i am sleeping only to awaken to the china cabinet rattling and making noise and i wake up and go to my friend and say "we are getting robbed" to which he replies "go back to sleep it's only a earthquake" true story .

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 27, 2016 14:10

Time magazine reports plenty of unsold tickets for both concerts.
As a UK resident these names mean nothing to me, but the article suggests people contact:
VIVID SEATS
STUBHUB

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: September 27, 2016 15:50

jlowe
Time magazine reports plenty of unsold tickets for both concerts.
As a UK resident these names mean nothing to me, but the article suggests people contact:
VIVID SEATS
STUBHUB

This is the article (Money Magazine): Desert Trip Is Not Sold Out. Here’s How to Buy Tickets for ‘Oldchella’ Music Festival

Sister mag Time had reported in May: Desert Trip Music Festival Tickets Are Already Sold Out, Sorry

A lot of lessons about concert promoter b.s. hype to be learned.

Date: September 27, 2016 18:03

TheGreek
Hairball

Shake, Rattle, and Roll

Funny story , first visit to Palm Springs August 1985 i am sleeping only to awaken to the china cabinet rattling and making noise and i wake up and go to my friend and say "we are getting robbed" to which he replies "go back to sleep it's only a earthquake" true story .

Haha - I've lived in SoCal my entire life (give or take a year here and there living in Hawaii or England) and have experienced many earthquakes. I was 7 yr's old when 1971 Sylmar earthquake (6.6 magnitude)hit around 6:00 am. We lived in Santa Monica apprx. 40 miles away, and I remember waking up thinking my older bro was jumping up and down on my bed. Another doozy was the 1994 earthquake in Northridge (6.7 magnitude)- I lived about 50 miles away but still my entire house rocked hard!!! Many others over the years, but those two stand out, and no matter how many I've experienced be they BIG or small, I'll never get used to them...eye popping smiley

As for the Desert concerts, I'm wondering what this massive 'mini stadium' is going to look like in person, and if they've started building any part of it yet.
About 10 days to go until show time...thumbs up

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: September 27, 2016 18:37

I rode out the '89 earthquake in San Francisco.....on the 27th floor of an office building downtown.....I'll never get used to them either. It's been a while since I felt the earth move in the Bay Area

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-27 22:27 by Woz.

Date: September 27, 2016 20:48

Hey Hairball, I was in LA in 1994 and was staying with friends in Laguna when that quake struck. Several car alarms going off in the neighbourhood in the middle of the night. A lot of damage to a couple of freeways if I remember rightly.
Anyway, I love SoCal and am really looking forward to next week for Desert Trip which should be a blast. The Coachella Valley will provide an amazing backdrop to the stage.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: September 27, 2016 21:45

Hairball
Haha - I've lived in SoCal my entire life (give or take a year here and there living in Hawaii or England) and have experienced many earthquakes. I was 7 yr's old when 1971 Sylmar earthquake (6.6 magnitude)hit around 6:00 am. We lived in Santa Monica apprx. 40 miles away, and I remember waking up thinking my older bro was jumping up and down on my bed. Another doozy was the 1994 earthquake in Northridge (6.7 magnitude)- I lived about 50 miles away but still my entire house rocked hard!!! Many others over the years, but those two stand out, and no matter how many I've experienced be they BIG or small, I'll never get used to them...eye popping smiley

Hairball - Sounds like we were almost neighbors growing up. We lived in Pacific Palisades, and I was 6 when the Sylmar quake hit...but I slept through it! Was in Brentwood for the Northridge quake - that was intense. Despite growing up here, I'll never get used to them either!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 27, 2016 22:52

Manofwealthandtaste
Hey Hairball, I was in LA in 1994 and was staying with friends in Laguna when that quake struck. Several car alarms going off in the neighbourhood in the middle of the night. A lot of damage to a couple of freeways if I remember rightly.
Anyway, I love SoCal and am really looking forward to next week for Desert Trip which should be a blast. The Coachella Valley will provide an amazing backdrop to the stage.

I lived 2 miles from the epicenter of the '94 quake. Manofwealthandtaste, are you going to the Vegas shows?

Date: September 27, 2016 23:10

I guess the earth moved for you then Bluzdude! I am only going to Desert Trip 1.

Date: September 28, 2016 09:20

Missed these while I was out and about (though even at this price it would likely still be money down the drain)

General Admission $125.00 GA 2 09/28/2016
General Admission $119.00 GA 1 09/28/2016
General Admission $119.00 GA 2 09/28/2016
General Admission $119.00 GA 3 09/28/2016

Date: September 28, 2016 17:59

Roger Waters is playing in Mexico City the next few nights, and the stage he has for that looks incredibly massive utilizing state of the art 3D projections, etc., simnilar for what he did for his recent Wall shows.
Here's a glimpse of 'Battersea Power Station' used for the cover of Animals:Animals...and another pic: Pig
I'm assuming the stage will evolve during different portions of his show to reflect whatever album he and the band are playing - Meddle, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall. (see rehearsal setlist spoiler below)
He's supposed to begin a massive US tour in 2017, but wondering if he will be able to incorporate portions of the stage (or some of the special effects/projections)for the Desert Trip shows. And for those who may have thought he might be the weak link in the lineup, think again...his closing set on Sunday will be worth the price alone.

Here's a sneak peak at the rehearsal setlist from yesterday:

spoiler alert:

Yesterday's rehearsal:

Speak to me / Breathe
Set the controls
One of these days
Time
Great gig in the Sky
Money
Us and Them
Fearless
Shine on you Crazy Diamond
Welcome to the Machine
Have a Cigar
WYWH
Pigs on the Wing Pt.1 (chimney sound)
Dogs
Pigs (Three Different Ones)(flying pig)
Happiest Days of Our Lives
Another Brick (Part 2)
Mother
Run Like Hell
Brain Damage/Eclipse
Vera
Bring the Boys Back Home
Comfortably Numb (Pyro)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-28 18:57 by Hairball.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 28, 2016 18:31

Dan
Missed these while I was out and about (though even at this price it would likely still be money down the drain)

let's face it,rock and roll is the jazz of the modern day and nobody gives a shit but older fans[spare me the story about someones 22 year old who loves let it bleed].we get taken for a ride because most people over 35 or 40 are pretty well established and have a few extra bucks to blow on a concert but it's gotten old,the gravy train is coming to an end.

these shows are getting discounted because everybody has seen these bands 10 times and for 10 times less.

there is absolutely no buzz in vegas for the shows there,to us it's a big deal.a four show tour and something we jump at,to the rest of the world it's a bunch of guys in there 70's who haven't had a hit record in decades charging $750 a ticket,it's laughable.

they'll do the smoke and mirrors thing again but the truth is half the arena is on the scalper sites and the other half is getting handed out by casino hosts.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: September 28, 2016 20:05

You talk gibberish

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: September 28, 2016 20:06

lem motlow
Dan

let's face it,rock and roll is the jazz of the modern day and nobody gives a shit but older fans[spare me the story about someones 22 year old who loves let it bleed].we get taken for a ride because most people over 35 or 40 are pretty well established and have a few extra bucks to blow on a concert but it's gotten old,the gravy train is coming to an end.

these shows are getting discounted because everybody has seen these bands 10 times and for 10 times less.

there is absolutely no buzz in vegas for the shows there,to us it's a big deal.a four show tour and something we jump at,to the rest of the world it's a bunch of guys in there 70's who haven't had a hit record in decades charging $750 a ticket,it's laughable.

they'll do the smoke and mirrors thing again but the truth is half the arena is on the scalper sites and the other half is getting handed out by casino hosts.

I am a huge Stones fan but I don't know how people can get excited about going to see the almost exact same show the Stones have done for quarter of a century.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 28, 2016 20:40

Lem motlow does not talk gibberish , you would be wise to pay attention because what he is saying is true

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526Next
Current Page: 25 of 26

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1710
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home