Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 26
Re: Stones, Dylan and McCartney to play Coachella
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 6, 2016 07:51

roller99
More tidbits....

Interesting tidbits roller.

Sounds like it's gonna be survival of the fittest for Desert Trip tickets!

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 6, 2016 09:36

MisterDDDD
sarahunwin
1badgator
I hope the promoter - Goldenvoice is smart enough to post where you need to register to buy passes BEFORE the sale starts, otherwise it will be a total fiasco Monday.

that's what I'm trying to figure out...... any info please post!!!!

Here's some purchasing info on the recent Coachella likely similar to what we'll experience Monday..

[www.coachella.com]

When I saw the mention of Front Gate Tickets, I came over all faint. And I'm not even planning to go (as of right now, anyway).

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 6, 2016 13:15

How much is a burger and a packet of peanuts?.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 6, 2016 14:15

Rockman
How much is a burger and a packet of peanuts?.....
$57.95!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 6, 2016 15:17

roller99
More tidbits....

Roller99, this big tidbit stood out from your link:
"My sources also tell me that this is in fact a kick-off for The Rolling Stones tour of the second half of 2016. The tour is going to be scaled down, with roughly six cities in the mix, all on the east coast. So this will be your only chance to see a Stones concert in California in 2016,"

6 cities, ALL east coast, desert only show in Cali?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-06 15:17 by 35love.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 6, 2016 15:38

how far away from the stage will be GA section be? - any ideas?

Re: Desert Trip
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 6, 2016 15:40

Could the Stones-McCartney-Waters-Headlining Desert Trip Concert Rake In a Staggering $100 Million?

5/5/2016 by Ray Waddell

The three-night classic-rock extravaganza features an unprecedented bill. Clockwise from top left: Dylan, The Rolling Stones, The Who, McCartney and Young.
Dylan: Kevin Mazur/WireImage. Jagger: Carlos Muller/Getty Images. Townshend: Kevin Mazur/Getty Images. McCartney: Mat Hayward/Getty Images. Young: Michael Tran/FilmMagic.

Touted as the “concert of the century,” Desert Trip -- the three-day October extravaganza announced May 3, featuring a classic-rock dream team of The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Roger Waters, Bob Dylan, Neil Young and The Who - is estimated by Billboard to rake in a $50 million box-office gross, if it sells out as expected.

Yet it’s hard to imagine Desert Trip being limited to a one-weekend event. After all, its producers -- Goldenvoice and parent company AEG -- expanded their signature Coachella festival to two weekends beginning in 2012, and such a move would strike a serious blow to the secondary ticket market. A two-weekend take? $100 million -- $15 million more than Coachella 2015, Billboard Boxscore’s biggest concert haul ever for a festival.

Talent-wise, Desert Trip is a historic achievement. Set for Oct. 7-9 at Coachella’s site, the Empire Polo Grounds in Indio, Calif., the event brings together several of the biggest box-office attractions of all time, and the presence of all six on the same bill is unprecedented.

But that combination of legendary status, ticket-selling clout and the FOMO factor -- few of these acts will be touring on this scale, if at all, in 10 years -- comes at a high price. Sources say primary headliners the Stones, McCartney and Pink Floyd’s Waters will pull in between $7 million and $10 million each, while the “support” acts (an odd concept for legends like Dylan, Young and The Who) will well earn more than $1 million apiece. According to a source familiar with the talent layout, at least four of the acts will score the highest paydays of their respective careers. Sources tell Billboard that Desert Trip’s talent budget alone exceeds $35 million -- and that Goldenvoice chief Paul Tollett was prepared to pay whatever it took to secure the lineup.

“When [Paul] called me nine months ago and said, ‘What do you think of this idea?’ I said there’s no way this is going to happen,” says Artist Group International president Marsha Vlasic, Young’s longtime agent. “But he was determined. This was his vision and his dream.”

Indeed, Desert Trip is not a traditional festival. Each day’s show is scheduled to start at sunset and feature a stadium-level set from each act. Seating and other crowd-assembly and logistical equipment will be trucked in at great expense (a source estimates production costs to be around $13 million). Also in play are such line items as staffing, catering, rental and permit fees with the site and the city, insurance, and other unsexy but necessary budget-busters. Conservatively, Desert Trip could cost upwards of $50 million for the promoters.

On the revenue side, reserved ticket prices for all three nights range from $699 to $1,599. Sources say there will be 30,000 reserved seats and 40,000 general-admission tickets, with the latter priced at $399 (arguably a bargain, considering the three primary acts routinely charge $250 or more). Given that scaling and capacity, the gross potential for a sellout is about $49 million, and if GA sales tilt toward single-day admissions ($199 each), Desert Trip is looking at box-office gross revenue of more than $50 million.

Still, risk remains. So how does Desert Trip land firmly in the black? Three letters: V-I-P.

The Palm Springs area has ample opportunities for pricey “enhanced experience” upgrades such as “glamping,” dining, golf and resorts -- and it's had 17 years of Coachella to customize them for concert audiences. (Prices were still being determined at press time.) Other revenue streams include concessions, merchandise (which could reach Super Bowl proportions of more than $25 per head) and sponsors. If producers pursue the latter, the value of reaching this well-heeled audience would be as much as $20 million, Billboard estimates. There’s also content delivery beyond the Valley (streaming, theaters and pay-per-view, which could easily top $1 million), along with post-event content in the form of DVDs or other formats.

"They will probably come out [in the black]," says one industry observer. "But GA concerns me. I want to see 40,000 people standing on the lawn.” Sources say the producers are “very optimistic” they have a winner. "They’re going to draw from all over the world,” says Vlasic. “People will see this as an amazing, rare opportunity."

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: 1badgator ()
Date: May 6, 2016 15:47

$225 for a 4 course dinner, with a complementary beer/wine on arrival!
I don't think so.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: May 6, 2016 16:38

Too far

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 6, 2016 16:55

jambay

Too far

Behind 30,000 reserved seats and a VIP pit.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 6, 2016 17:25

Date: May 6, 2016 17:34

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 6, 2016 18:24

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-06 18:25 by MisterDDDD.

THE DESERT TRIP
Posted by: oldrocker ()
Date: May 6, 2016 09:34

ANYONE GOING TO THE DESERT TRIP IN OCT.FROM THE UK

Re: THE DESERT TRIP
Posted by: HamburgerToGo ()
Date: May 6, 2016 09:38

Hopefully you are not serious.
Don't waste your dosh!!

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: May 6, 2016 13:42

HamburgerToGo
Hopefully you are not serious.
Don't waste your dosh!!

thumbs up

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 6, 2016 14:04

Old Rocker, I would go. Just need a wealthy cougar to pay for me winking smiley

Date: May 6, 2016 14:35

I am hoping to get that gig as a quality control engineerconsultant observing all 6 sets from stage left.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: May 6, 2016 14:41

Father Ted
Old Rocker, I would go. Just need a wealthy cougar to pay for me winking smiley

Same here need to find a rich old codger to finance my tripsmoking smiley

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: May 6, 2016 16:36

I want to
I want to
I want to sooooo bad

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 6, 2016 16:54

Old Rocker, some advice to consider...

I can certainly understand why you'd want to go to Coachella but only if you
can afford it. You'll need at least two days to recover from the London flight. AND you'd better start researching now for an affordable place to
stay (crap motels go for big bucks). And how will you get to the gig is another must to pin down. Hopefully, some other IORRers have been down there
and will offer some great ideas including where to eat a decent meal.

All best to you.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 6, 2016 17:05

Old Rocker and anyone who's interested in Coachella should Google
BOB LEFSETZ's column today with his thoughts. He often knows what
he's talking about. Which doesn't mean I'm necessarily a great fan of his.
But I do want any of the IORR gang who go there to ENJOY themselves and think
twice before spending the money and to at least get a lot of rest beforehand.
This isn't going to be as comfortable as seeing the Stones at Hyde Park.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: May 6, 2016 19:10

souldoggie
Are we able to buy a pit pass for one show only?
I'd prefer to buy just for the Stones show and I'd prefer to watch the show from the Pit but I can't seem to find that option.
Thanks in advance

Because that option doesn't exist - thats what I wanted too!!!!

Date: May 6, 2016 19:16

MisterDDDD
sarahunwin
1badgator
I hope the promoter - Goldenvoice is smart enough to post where you need to register to buy passes BEFORE the sale starts, otherwise it will be a total fiasco Monday.

that's what I'm trying to figure out...... any info please post!!!!

Here's some purchasing info on the recent Coachella likely similar to what we'll experience Monday..

[www.coachella.com]

Thanks for the info looks like a nightmare! Wish one could set up the account in advance.

Date: May 6, 2016 19:32

Just got this info from Goldenvoice:

There is no advance account set up. Link to purchase / phone info will appear when passes go on sale.

Passes are on sale Monday, May 9 at 10am PT [home.deserttrip.com] Good luck!

[home.deserttrip.com]

Posted by: polar ()
Date: May 6, 2016 19:56

hi all, is it possible that on the website are already selling tickets for the concert? if and it expected to be to the sale until Monday

frontrowking

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-06 19:57 by polar.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: May 6, 2016 20:05

polar
hi all, is it possible that on the website are already selling tickets for the concert? if and it expected to be to the sale until Monday

frontrowking

That is a ticket scalaping agency. Do not patronize them! These are the people that drive the prices up.
They claim to have tickets now, but they don't.

Posted by: polar ()
Date: May 6, 2016 20:09

I appreciate your words, encouraged me to get my passes on Monday

greetings friend

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: May 6, 2016 20:11

stonesrule
Old Rocker and anyone who's interested in Coachella should Google
BOB LEFSETZ's column today with his thoughts. He often knows what
he's talking about. Which doesn't mean I'm necessarily a great fan of his.
But I do want any of the IORR gang who go there to ENJOY themselves and think
twice before spending the money and to at least get a lot of rest beforehand.
This isn't going to be as comfortable as seeing the Stones at Hyde Park.

Here is Bob Lefsetz column.

[lefsetz.com]

As far as it being uncomfortable, this is a huge area and the way its set up its not going to be a "nuts-to-butts" scene in the crowd.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: May 6, 2016 20:30

Take this show on the road!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 26

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1838
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home