Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 26
Re: Stones, Dylan and McCartney to play Coachella
Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 5, 2016 03:52

MCDDTLC
So - The Stones are going to play Coachella... If they invite Mick Taylor to sit-in I might go - if not, I won't

MLC

One of the former inner circle, can't remember his name, owns a B&B out that way and Mick Taylor vacations there from time to time, a friend (guitar player/actor) who also R&R's there told me he hung out and jammed with him there. This would have been 2012/2013-ish.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 5, 2016 07:47

I'm not sure why this thread isn't stickied, as half the discussion seems to be in the 2016 tour thread and it's a bit confusing. Hopefully they'll get merged when bv has time.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 5, 2016 08:33

stanlove
bv
stanlove
Dylan is worthless live. The only thing he could do to make him a decent live act is to sing with someone else whos voice his voice meshes with and stop trying to reinvent his song all the time., but he won't do it. You can never tell until the song is almost over what he is even singing.

He is the worst live performer ever. What you are going to see fron him is him butchering his own songs with a voice so bad its basically unlistenable. I think he is by far the greatest artist of the rock era but not going to see a guy because he was a great song writer 5 decades ago.

If this concert happens the Stones are in a good position because they are going to sound great right after hes done. If I was them I would insist on going on right after Dylan.

Such a stupid and ignorant comment. If you do not fancy Bob Dylan personally then please don't bother us with such offensive comments. Many many other people do like his music and performances, please show some respect by not posting offensive comments and negativity on IORR. Thank you.

You would have a good point if I wasn't spot on. Are you seriously trying to deny that its often hard to figure out what song he is singing, or that his voice is totally shot? Give me a break.

I can see your point, if you're expecting Dylan to becoming a trained act, like, sadly the Stones have become, veering little in set lists and churning out the same tired Greatest Hits over and over. (They've been calling them warhorses since the 1970s). I kind of like that Dylan challenges his audience. I laugh just thinking of Dylan smiling and saying to the audience, "Remember this one!", and then launching into a note by note playing of Tambourine Man. And maybe half way through he'd ask everyone to clap, and then he'd point the mike at the crowd and have them sing a verse. Thank god he doesn't do that crap.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 5, 2016 13:09

stanlove
Dylan is worthless live. The only thing he could do to make him a decent live act is to sing with someone else whos voice his voice meshes with and stop trying to reinvent his song all the time., but he won't do it. You can never tell until the song is almost over what he is even singing.

He is the worst live performer ever. What you are going to see fron him is him butchering his own songs with a voice so bad its basically unlistenable.

quite the opposite – Dylan is the last relevant performer of his generation, i.e. the only one who still searches for new ways to perform his songs (and the songs of others as well). In other words: He's the only act from the 60s who hasn't turned into a kind of jukebox trying to replicate his old songs like they sounded 40-50 years ago.
By the way – you should really listen to bootlegs from his last tours

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 5, 2016 15:16

bv
stanlove

He is the worst live performer ever. What you are going to see fron him is him butchering his own songs with a voice so bad its basically unlistenable. I think he is by far the greatest artist of the rock era but not going to see a guy because he was a great song writer 5 decades ago.

If this concert happens the Stones are in a good position because they are going to sound great right after hes done. If I was them I would insist on going on right after Dylan.

Such a stupid and ignorant comment. If you do not fancy Bob Dylan personally then please don't bother us with such offensive comments. Many many other people do like his music and performances, please show some respect by not posting offensive comments and negativity on IORR. Thank you.

I like Dylan's music & performance, and I'm not offended.
Stanlove believes (& therefor says) Dylan "is the worst live performer ever" - so what?!

Posted by: swaymusik ()
Date: May 5, 2016 15:33

stanlove

WOW
Most ridiculous comment I'm wasting my time on

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 5, 2016 15:39

Aquamarine
I'm not sure why this thread isn't stickied, as half the discussion seems to be in the 2016 tour thread and it's a bit confusing. Hopefully they'll get merged when bv has time.

It is a bit of a mess, isn't it? grinning smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 5, 2016 17:30

A recent car camping pic from the festival..
Have a room reserved, but am thinking this may be the way to go..

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 5, 2016 17:34

slewan
stanlove

He is the worst live performer ever. What you are going to see fron him is him butchering his own songs with a voice so bad its basically unlistenable.

quite the opposite – Dylan is the last relevant performer of his generation, i.e. the only one who still searches for new ways to perform his songs (and the songs of others as well). In other words: He's the only act from the 60s who hasn't turned into a kind of jukebox trying to replicate his old songs like they sounded 40-50 years ago.

Reaching new ways to perform your songs is not a good thing necessarily. I could do that with Dylan songs. Does it sound good? Thats all that matters.

I have never met anyone in my life who has gone to a Dylan concert the last 10 years who said it was a good show. They all say the same thing I am telling you. You can't tell what song he is singing until the song is almost over and his voice is totally shot. The people on here who are saying how great he is live won't tell what what the worst Dylan show they ever went to was. That tells me they just say everything is great because its Dylan. They can't really give an unbiased opinion.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: May 5, 2016 18:02

Does anyone know if the tickets will be sold through any particular entity? I want to register in advance, but I cannot seem to find out who is actually doing the sale. Goldnvoice has links to a lot of different tickets seller for different concerts on its website. Is it Ticketfly, Axis, or what? Any help appreciated.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 5, 2016 18:05

I believe www.DesertTrip.com will be the only official sale site.

It is confusing but another day or two will bring details.

"DO NOT buy passes from unauthorized third parties (scalpers). We will not service, authenticate or support any passes purchased from an unauthorized third party.

Scalped passes may be void.

Step-by-step order instructions will be provided prior to the on-sale date."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-05 18:07 by Kurt.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 5, 2016 19:17

MisterDDDD
A recent car camping pic from the festival..
Have a room reserved, but am thinking this may be the way to go..

Looks fun, but I'm having flashbacks from the US Festival'83 - also in a barren desert setting near San Bernardino. We lived in a comfortable RV for the three nights in the campgrounds, but when our waste water tank reached capacity we had to venture out to the outhouses amidst other RV's and hundreds of tents with thousands of people. By then, all outhouses were trashed and filled beyond capacity with pyramids of poop rising above the toilet seats. Factor in the 100+ f degree heat during the day, and you can only imagine - hahaha, good times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-05 19:20 by Hairball.

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: May 5, 2016 19:19

Are we able to buy a pit pass for one show only?
I'd prefer to buy just for the Stones show and I'd prefer to watch the show from the Pit but I can't seem to find that option.
Thanks in advance

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 5, 2016 19:24

stanlove
slewan
stanlove

Reaching new ways to perform your songs is not a good thing necessarily. I could do that with Dylan songs. Does it sound good? Thats all that matters.

I have never met anyone in my life who has gone to a Dylan concert the last 10 years who said it was a good show. They all say the same thing I am telling you. You can't tell what song he is singing until the song is almost over and his voice is totally shot. The people on here who are saying how great he is live won't tell what what the worst Dylan show they ever went to was. That tells me they just say everything is great because its Dylan. They can't really give an unbiased opinion.

in my case: The worst show was Stuttgart 1991, first half of Hamburg 1998 and first half of Cologne 2000 were pretty bad, too. Santa Barbara in 2001 was pretty boring, same goes for Sheffield in 2000. Outstanding was Cardiff 2000, all three shows at the Hollywood Palladium in 2009, Bournemouth 1997 (first show), Hamburg 2013 (1.show) – just to mention a few examples

But make your mind how his voice sounds these days
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 5, 2016 19:29

slewan
stanlove
slewan
stanlove

in my case: The worst show was Stuttgart 1991, first half of Hamburg 1998 and first half of Cologne 2000 were pretty bad, too. Santa Barbara in 2001 was pretty boring, same goes for Sheffield in 2000. Outstanding was Cardiff 2000, all three shows at the Hollywood Palladium in 2009, Bournemouth 1997 (first show), Hamburg 2013 (1.show) – just to mention a few examples

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Posts like this make me want to give him another try...

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 5, 2016 19:48

slewan
stanlove
slewan
stanlove

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Hollywood Palladium night 1 was the show I was at! I was in the neighborhood for an Amoeba Instore, saw his name on the marquee, on my way back I run into someone who says "I think I have a plus one on the guest list" so in the space of an hour I went from no clue he was in town to seeing him onstage. I loved it! Not quite the same experience as someone who spends $100+ expecting the hits to be regurgitated back exactly as they are on the album ...

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 5, 2016 19:54

souldoggie
I'd prefer to buy just for the Stones show and I'd prefer to watch the show from the Pit but I can't seem to find that option.
Thanks in advance

No.

....unless the promoter changes the options at sometime in the future.

Posted by: 1badgator ()
Date: May 5, 2016 22:48

Desert Trip - Vivid seats is actually selling passes already at about 2x

Posted by: 1badgator ()
Date: May 5, 2016 22:59

I hope the promoter - Goldenvoice is smart enough to post where you need to register to buy passes BEFORE the sale starts, otherwise it will be a total fiasco Monday.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: May 5, 2016 23:30

1badgator
I hope the promoter - Goldenvoice is smart enough to post where you need to register to buy passes BEFORE the sale starts, otherwise it will be a total fiasco Monday.

that's what I'm trying to figure out...... any info please post!!!!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 5, 2016 23:43

sarahunwin
1badgator

On Goldenvoice website it's only mentioned that the tickets will be sold via Desert Trip website. On their FAQ, there's only this info:

"HOW DO I LOG IN TO MY PURCHASE ACCOUNT?

You will have the option to create a purchase account once passes go on sale."

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 6, 2016 00:07

I hope they make a DVD of this!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 6, 2016 00:48

Hairball
24FPS
Hairball
I'm still amazed how they were able to get all these acts on the same bill.
Of course there's alot of money in it for them, but logistically speaking (not to mention all the egos involved), it's quite a feat imo.

On another note, the fact that they've created a 'mini stadium' rather than a standing only endless desert field spanning the horizon makes it rather desirable. And if you divide each of these acts into cost per ticket (any category), it seems reasonably priced considering what they all normally cost these days (except Dylan ...and maybe the Who?). Or maybe I'm just trying to justify it all in my mind.... smiling smiley

As for the thought that this entire experience will translate to a DVD while sitting at home watching on a screen, I don't think so.
No DVD has ever captured the experience of any live show...unless you're a couch potato .

I attend concerts. Next up is Steely Dan at the Hollywood Bowl with a full orchestra. I'll have a nice seat, nice sound system, and I can take my own food and drink into the facility. And it will be financially doable. I won't have to drive from L.A. out to the middle of dusty nowhere. (I've driven out there before). I'll probably never see the Stones again. There's nothing new to hear. In fact I've pretty much given up on seeing any of the acts performing that weekend again. It doesn't mean I'll stop going to concerts.

Right, and I wasn't referring to you specifically - I've read the same thing from many others on various sites saying "I'll wait for the DVD".
The couch 'potato who doesn't attend concerts' comment was tongue-in-cheek and not to be taken literally.

My main point was that a DVD will never capture the experience of any live show, and I think you'd agree - otherwise you wouldn't be going to see Steely Dan (w/full orchestra) Hollywood Bowl show live.

No....but sometimes it sounds better. I think that's I personally miss Bill so much. In the past, and even now, the bass when you're hearing it in a live setting can be very indistinct. Often you don't know what was going on underneath the music until you can hear it at home on a good system. But sure, you can't capture that sound filling up your chest and the feel of the room.

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: May 6, 2016 01:45

BluzDude
souldoggie
Thanks in advance

No.

....unless the promoter changes the options at sometime in the future.

Thanks BluzDude, now I know.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 6, 2016 02:17

Roger Waters on Sirus radio interview:

(to paraphrase):

"I'll be playing 'greatest hits' from Pink Floyd and a few of my solo tunes".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-06 02:22 by Hairball.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 6, 2016 03:04

sarahunwin
1badgator

Here's some purchasing info on the recent Coachella likely similar to what we'll experience Monday..

[www.coachella.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-06 03:05 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 6, 2016 05:39

stanlove
mnewman505
I've seen 10 Dylan shows since 1998 and I loved every one of them, plus i've loved every new album since Time out of Mind with the exception of the Christmas album. To each his own I guess.

When someone loves everything then their opinion stops mattering.

See anything said by HMS for further proof in a wonky way.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 6, 2016 05:41

BluzDude
Considerations:

Individual shows are $199 for General admission, that's standing behind all the seats, only looking at and being able to see TV screens.

Seats for the 3 day event start at $699 for the rear of the seated section.

$199? Not $200? $699? Not $700?

Typically American.

Posted by: Iguanamom ()
Date: May 6, 2016 05:55

This is super helpful. Thanks! This is practically in my backyard but I'm not 100% committed yet. I have no interest in Dylan & it's my 40th high school reunion on Saturday. How do I NOT take advantage of this?

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 6, 2016 07:29

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 26

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1911
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home