Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Plundered My Soul - original demo around?
Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: April 10, 2016 01:47

Before they messed around with it in 2010 (feels like the other day, but shit we're in 2016 now), do we have the original PMS? I'm most interested to hear Mick's vocals from 71, and what he would have done on this track.

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Re: Plundered My Soul - original demo around?
Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: April 10, 2016 03:22

Yeah I'd like to hear the 1971 outtake too. And also Wally's Whisteling Saw (working title for Following The River) and the original Sophia Loren jam (Pass The Wine).

I think of it this way:
Plundered My Soul was finished in 2010, just like Start Me Up, Waiting On A Friend, Slave and Worried About You in 1981 and Keep Up Blues etc. in 2011.

PLUNDERED MY SOUL is a NEW song from 2010 just like DOOM & GLOOM in 2012.

CONCLUSION:

Songs written by Jagger and Richards can take a long, long time to get ripe for official release and sometimes not.

Posted by: aftergeography ()
Date: April 10, 2016 04:46

I don't think any vocals were cut for PMS back in '71...seems like I remember Mick saying that in the interviews promoting Exile reissue.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 10, 2016 07:31

Mick has said he and Mick Taylor were not on the backing track that was cut in 1971. That's why they're the two who entered the studio in January 2010 to complete the track.

Mind you, they do lie to us...

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: April 10, 2016 09:11

Rocky Dijon
Mick has said he and Mick Taylor were not on the backing track that was cut in 1971. That's why they're the two who entered the studio in January 2010 to complete the track.

I have an early version of Sophia Loren (1971) and the vocals are different then what was released later. I will try and dig it up and post the original lyrics. There wasn't much to them if I recall, the same with a bunch other tracks from the Exile Deluxe release. Mick added new lyrics/vocals to some tracks. I have an early take of Plunder My Soul but it is an instrumental version. So Maybe Jagger is correct and not lying. But as we all know the Stones cut many takes of songs so maybe there is an early version out there with vocals????

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 10, 2016 09:55

"I’ve put Mick Taylor on Plundered My Soul, because he wasn’t on it. I wasn’t on it, he wasn’t on it, so obviously we were driving to the studio when that was done (laughs)... (I)t was very nice, it was just like the old days, you know, I just sat Mick down and we did it like half an hour..."
Mick Jagger, 2010

"(I)t was one of Mick's songs. It was among the outtakes that had to be finished. Actually, some of them were finished. But this particular song didn't have a vocal on it and it didn't have any lead guitar. It just had Keith Richards, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts playing on it. So he asked me to step into the studio one afternoon, and I did some guitar in about three or four passes. I thought it turned out well"
Mick Taylor, 2012

It's not typical of Exile on Main Street - it's just that it was recorded during that period. It's got backup vocals and things on it that were done a couple of years ago. The original track is just sort of Keith's rhythm guitar, Bill Wyman's bass playing and Charlie Watts' drumming, and it's very raw.

- Mick Taylor, 2012

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Date: April 10, 2016 10:38

I reckon the original demo is very short, VideoJames?

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: April 10, 2016 10:46

RipThisBone
Yeah I'd like to hear the 1971 outtake too. And also Wally's Whisteling Saw (working title for Following The River) and the original Sophia Loren jam (Pass The Wine).

This
thumbs up

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: April 10, 2016 11:42

This is a great song, has a tape-is-rolling quality about it. It almost seems like the time signature changes slightly, which I like. PMS is very much not-mechanical sounding. All the classic Stones stuff was played without click tracks, right?

Date: April 10, 2016 16:58

Thank you, Mr. Karnbach.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: April 10, 2016 17:19

RipThisBone
Yeah I'd like to hear the 1971 outtake too. And also Wally's Whisteling Saw (working title for Following The River)

Never heard about this working title before. What's the source for this?
(Was the title mentioned in some Exile Deluxe-interview?)

N

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 10, 2016 18:13

DandelionPowderman

That or they just used a small part of it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 10, 2016 18:27

KRiffhard
"I’ve put Mick Taylor on Plundered My Soul, because he wasn’t on it. I wasn’t on it, he wasn’t on it, so obviously we were driving to the studio when that was done (laughs)... (I)t was very nice, it was just like the old days, you know, I just sat Mick down and we did it like half an hour..."
Mick Jagger, 2010

"(I)t was one of Mick's songs. It was among the outtakes that had to be finished. Actually, some of them were finished. But this particular song didn't have a vocal on it and it didn't have any lead guitar. It just had Keith Richards, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts playing on it. So he asked me to step into the studio one afternoon, and I did some guitar in about three or four passes. I thought it turned out well"
Mick Taylor, 2012

It's not typical of Exile on Main Street - it's just that it was recorded during that period. It's got backup vocals and things on it that were done a couple of years ago. The original track is just sort of Keith's rhythm guitar, Bill Wyman's bass playing and Charlie Watts' drumming, and it's very raw.

- Mick Taylor, 2012

[www.timeisonourside.com]

I have an interview with Keith in a guitar magazine from the Exile re-release period where he is adamant that Mick Taylor was not brought in for any overdubs - to paraphrase: "no he wasn't brought in, if he had been I would have known about it". Little did he know, and it probably pissed him off when he eventually learned the truth after the fact. I wonder why the two Micks kept him in the dark regarding this...seems like something he should have been made aware of. Whatever the case, it turned out to be rather weak sounding imo, and I'd love to hear the original unfinished outtake.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 10, 2016 18:33

^ Yeah, an odd moment in stones history.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 10, 2016 22:54

Aha...nearly 20 years after the release of Mr. K's "IORR" book with all these unknown songs we're getting some details on them (only the circulating unreleased songs were described, briefly), better late than never I suppose ;-) PMS wasn't mentioned though in the book if memory serves?

There was also a theory in the forums recently that Scarlet was in fact reworked into PMS as it made little sense to pass on what Don Was called "a hit song" when he mentioned it as having been prepared during the Exile 2010 sessions...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-11 00:31 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: April 11, 2016 00:00

DandelionPowderman

As to the Sophia Loren 71 version, no it is a full song 3 min +.

Date: April 11, 2016 00:06

VideoJames
DandelionPowderman

I meant Plundered My Soul, as the released version obviously is a looped groove.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: April 11, 2016 10:17

DandelionPowderman
VideoJames
DandelionPowderman

I meant Plundered My Soul, as the released version obviously is a looped groove.

Yes it would be great to know more about these two tracks in the form you are describing VideoJames ! smiling smiley I understand that posting them is out of the question, so won´t even go there, but some description would be interesting - length, instrumentation, sketch lyrics (on SL)....
Any info on PMS is really valuable.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 11, 2016 18:42

VIDEO: rolling stones plundered my soul

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

I love it when people use the proper footage or photos from the time period for Stones projects.

I remember two mixes of "Plundered My Soul" being released in 2010. One was a Radio Edit.

As far as Keith not knowing Taylor was in the studio in 2010... I can guess that Jagger just asked Taylor to come in since Jagger was working on the outtakes. Maybe just didn't happen to mention it to Keith, not that he purposely tried to keep it from him. Maybe there were bad feeling from Keith about Taylor leaving the band?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 12, 2016 19:09

“It’s a good story to say that what was created at Nellcôte was a result of the incredibly decadent atmosphere,” Mr. Jagger said. “Well, yeah: it’s probably true that the atmosphere affected the feeling of the music, and the sound of the studio. But you’ve no idea how much or how little. And in the end, it’s just a sort of myth, really.”

Can he hear the sound of the Nellcôte studios when he listens to the album?

“I’ve no idea which is the Nellcôte stuff and which isn’t, to be honest.”

[www.nytimes.com]

Where did it come from? Didn’t all you Stones completists think you had heard pretty much all worthwhile outtakes? How did they not even find this when they were looking for old material for Tattoo You? Well, the Stones have a warehouse that Don Was compares to the one seen in at the end of Raiders of the Lost Arc, “a mini-Smithsonian,” that “goes on for blocks,” of all the tape they rolled over the decades. And they were notorious for rolling tape continuously during their marathon sessions. Was got the job of not only remastering and repackaging the official release of Exile, but also the pillaging and plundering of those vaults, and shining up recordings that had only been around as bootlegs.

When they dusted off the old tapes and found ”Plundered My Soul,” the whole basic track of the song was there — bass, drums, piano, and rhythm guitars, all arranged and ready for vocals. But Mick reckons that he and Mick Taylor had been absent from, or arrived late to the session that day in France. Mick overdubbed the lead vocal against a backdrop of new back-up parts from Lisa Fischer and Cindy Mizelle, as well as an acoustic guitar and Taylor’s leads in 2010. Everyone else is there on the backing track, playing in the same impossibly relaxed cadence.

[billjanovitz.com]

Of course he mentions the fictitious coconut tree incident...

I'm surprised that this bit is not on timeisonourside.com

Richards denies murmurings that Taylor, who left the band in late 1974, contributed overdubs to the reissue package. “That’s a rumor, babe,” he says. “If he was on there, I would know. We’ve had no contact with Mick for a long time.”

Hearsay seems to be dogging Richards’ footsteps these days. There’s another story going around that he has completely forsworn alcohol and all other intoxicants. “That’ll be the day, honey,” he says.

[www.guitarworld.com]

Date: April 12, 2016 19:20

Mick and Keith were not on the best of terms. Keith was not consulted about bringing in Mick Taylor. Jagger likely felt it wasn't necessary since he was running the project and not Keith, but obviously Keith was going to feel Mick was making decisions without consulting him in violation of their partnership. This placed Don Was in the middle where he did not wish to be. Keith was furious that he did press for the release without being aware of Mick Taylor's involvement. Once having denied it as rumor and then finding out it had happened without his knowledge he was forced to make silly "I'll neither confirm nor deny" statements after the fact. LIFE was not yet finished, but the repercussions were already being felt. It was a tricky time to be in the circle, to be sure.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: May 7, 2020 00:44

VideoJames
Rocky Dijon

I have an early version of Sophia Loren (1971) and the vocals are different then what was released later. I will try and dig it up and post the original lyrics. There wasn't much to them if I recall, the same with a bunch other tracks from the Exile Deluxe release. Mick added new lyrics/vocals to some tracks. I have an early take of Plunder My Soul but it is an instrumental version. So Maybe Jagger is correct and not lying. But as we all know the Stones cut many takes of songs so maybe there is an early version out there with vocals????

VideoJames, if you're out there, do you still have the early versions of "Sophia Loren" and "Plundered My Soul?" If so would you be able to post them? Thanks!! smileys with beer

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 7, 2020 17:46

Take a wild guess ;-) VideoJames is as "collectors' circles" as it gets ! It won't help but you can see what he's had access to in his book though...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 7, 2020 21:35

yorkey
Before they messed around with it in 2010 (feels like the other day, but shit we're in 2016 now), do we have the original PMS? I'm most interested to hear Mick's vocals from 71, and what he would have done on this track.

There wasn't a vocal on the basic track (which is not a demo).

I’ve put Mick Taylor on Plundered My Soul, because he wasn’t on it. I wasn’t on it, he wasn’t on it, so obviously we were driving to the studio when that was done (laughs)... (I)t was very nice, it was just like the old days, you know, I just sat Mick down and we did it like half an hour...
- Mick Jagger, 2010

(I)t was one of Mick's songs. It was among the outtakes that had to be finished. Actually, some of them were finished. But this particular song didn't have a vocal on it and it didn't have any lead guitar. It just had Keith Richards, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts playing on it. So he asked me to step into the studio one afternoon, and I did some guitar in about three or four passes. I thought it turned out well.

- Mick Taylor, 2012

[timeisonourside.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-07 21:37 by GasLightStreet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1580
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home