Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Best Version of Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 11, 2019 19:10

GivenToFly15
TravelinMan
My favorite is Newcastle 1971. Wow. Talk about raw energy, rockin’ til the wheels fall off!

You were there? winking smiley

Haha! Perhaps in a past life. I can only imagine it is my favorite version until maybe one day, if we’re lucky, some bootleg surfaces.

I thought they recorded everything on that tour. Regardless, I’m sure the first show didn’t meet Jagger’s standards.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: August 11, 2019 19:12

[www.youtube.com]

The IORR Band – Live In London

Nice version

The Sticky Version DVD has the better intro by Keith I think then the 2002 version from the MSG.

Date: August 11, 2019 19:31

Imo the Rolling Stones never nailed it live. The studio version is very good though.

Date: August 11, 2019 19:40

[www.youtube.com]

The Rolling Stones & Mick Taylor - Can't You Hear Me Knockin' - Staples Center, LA, 3/20/13

not that bad LOL

yes the studio version is the best.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: August 12, 2019 01:53

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

The Rolling Stones & Mick Taylor - Can't You Hear Me Knockin' - Staples Center, LA, 3/20/13

not that bad LOL

yes the studio version is the best.

Yeah that Staples versions nice. def got a nice zones in the last 1/3 of his lead. nimble smiling smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 12, 2019 13:44

Easy question and the answer is the one on Sticky Fingers which is the original . You can't repaint the Mona Lisa !

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: August 12, 2019 14:04

As for live versions the ones from 2002/2003 were without a doubt the best. It was fun to hear it again in 2013 and 2015 but all those versions were a bit too anemic and lacked the bite of the studio version. This song needs some aggressive riffing from Keith and tight powerful drumming, the closest they came to that was on the Licks-tour.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-12 14:10 by TheBlockbuster.

Date: August 12, 2019 14:55

The 2015-versions had the best sound from Keith, imo. Playing that riff with a dry Tele-sound, like he did up till then, didn't sound as good.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: August 12, 2019 19:00

MT played the jam portion of this on a solo tour in ‘99, and I stood right in front of him in a club and watched his fingers as he played the solo. Just a magical experience. I’ve enjoyed seeing it at Stones shows, including ‘13 with MT, but the studio version is just unmatched in terms of the performance of the whole song.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: August 12, 2019 21:43

It's one of my all-time favorite Stones songs (with Sticky Fingers being my favorite Stones album), but I've never heard a live version that beats the studio version....which is quite the opposite with another all-time favorite, 'Midnight Rambler'. Every live version I've ever heard is better than the studio version of 'Rambler', which just seems caged on the record.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: August 12, 2019 21:51

DandelionPowderman
The 2015-versions had the best sound from Keith, imo. Playing that riff with a dry Tele-sound, like he did up till then, didn't sound as good.

Keith should use the neck pickup, wasn't that what he used on the record? The guitar he played it on in 2015 hasn't got a neck pickup I don't think, but a telecaster does. I don't own a tele so I can't really judge, but Jimmy Page sounded huge that way on the first Led Zep record anyway. Perhaps Keith just doesn't want to sound like that, or maybe he forgot.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 12, 2019 22:11

floodonthepage
It's one of my all-time favorite Stones songs (with Sticky Fingers being my favorite Stones album), but I've never heard a live version that beats the studio version....which is quite the opposite with another all-time favorite, 'Midnight Rambler'. Every live version I've ever heard is better than the studio version of 'Rambler', which just seems caged on the record.
The studio version of Rambler is such a different beast...it's still awesome in its own right, but live, it's taken on a life of its own over the decades.

The studio version of CYHMK is untouchable.

Date: August 12, 2019 22:17

SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman

Keith should use the neck pickup, wasn't that what he used on the record? The guitar he played it on in 2015 hasn't got a neck pickup I don't think, but a telecaster does. I don't own a tele so I can't really judge, but Jimmy Page sounded huge that way on the first Led Zep record anyway. Perhaps Keith just doesn't want to sound like that, or maybe he forgot.

Would it work without effect pedals? He is already using the neck pickup for songs like TD. I'm not sure he used a Telecaster on CYHMK.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: August 12, 2019 22:39

video: [www.youtube.com]

How about this? At least you get the real Santana and not an imitation...

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: August 12, 2019 22:57

DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman

Would it work without effect pedals? He is already using the neck pickup for songs like TD. I'm not sure he used a Telecaster on CYHMK.

A Les Paul possibly? Somehow I find the sound not that kind of standard, so I don't rule out a Tele, but Keith did use LP's more often back then. I am not big on pedals, myself (and I don't think Keith is, either), so I have no idea what pedals would be needed onstage except some kind of overdrive boost. Btw I didn't know Keith used the neck pickup on TD, he sure didn't in '95, solo yes but not for chords/riffs that is (I checked on youtube) but maybe he changed that, too.

Date: August 12, 2019 23:32

I always wondered about the intro riff how Keith stumbled on the riff what I mean
Is Keith starting way up the fretboard sliding from the D string from 10th fret to 9fret Etc in open g. I can not recall an interview where Keith talks about the idea for the riff. Maybe playing other songs down the fretboard forced him that way. Monkey Man and Midnight rambler down the fretboard and not playing open chords challenged him or maybe Mick Taylor was over his shoulder lol

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: August 13, 2019 01:34

DandelionPowderman

I agree that his guitar sound was better in 2015. But his playing itself, the attack and timing was less sharp in those 2015 versions, and the beat was kind of just plodding along, compared to on the Licks tour. I still think the 2015 versions with Ronnie's great solos were enjoyable, just not the best they've done.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-13 01:40 by TheBlockbuster.

Date: August 13, 2019 20:09

If that 71 Newcastle show bootleg ever pops up and if they did play CYHMK and Wild Horses - I wonder who played the clean electric solo on WH - would Keith of let MT play the solo? - All these years with RW, Keith let RW play the solo and that has always baffled me - that studio solo guitar part is so iconic and Keith lets RW play the solo all these years.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: August 13, 2019 21:15

Would Keith let MT play the solo on CYHMK? I don't see why not: after all, it's him on the record... Keith lets Ronnie play the solo on You Can't Always Get, too. confused smiley

Date: August 14, 2019 20:43

We always focus on the opening riff and solo on CYHMK - for the sax break right before the sax solo - Keith plays that riff( in standard D string 3rd fret hammer 4th fret and slide into 7th fret g and b string - Since Keith plays that we all assume he wrote that part, and then that outro riff starting at the 10 fret low E string to 9th fret A string back to 10th on low E and then to 10th on A string and then to 12 fret and back to 10th fret. I assume Keith wrote that as well.

Date: August 14, 2019 22:04

OpenG
If that 71 Newcastle show bootleg ever pops up and if they did play CYHMK and Wild Horses - I wonder who played the clean electric solo on WH - would Keith of let MT play the solo? - All these years with RW, Keith let RW play the solo and that has always baffled me - that studio solo guitar part is so iconic and Keith lets RW play the solo all these years.

Supposedly playing an acoustic in 1971, and playing open G since 1975, is why he never played the solo.

Date: August 14, 2019 23:13

DP - yes thanks why I did not think of that is beyond me. That solo on acoustic with HEAVY strings would sound awesome. Sort of like Slash's solo on patience he uses heavy strings to get that tone . I have heard that he used 6 strings?

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1601
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home