Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Best Version of Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 11, 2016 21:37

check out Hartford during the Licks tour early October 2002 and you will be blown away .Rocking Ronnie Wood really knocked it out of the park ,IMHO the best live version ever(with the exception of Mr. Mick Taylor with the Stones at Glastonbary in 2013

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: April 12, 2016 03:40

Glastonbury 2013 is epic (and pro shot!)

[www.youtube.com]

CYHMK starts around the 40 min mark.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: April 12, 2016 07:35

Summer of 2013, Philly 2.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 12, 2016 11:06

mosthigh
Glastonbury 2013 is epic (and pro shot!)

[www.youtube.com]

CYHMK starts around the 40 min mark.

Incredibly great ...

Date: April 12, 2016 11:19

I like Taylor's playing on the Staple Center-version more than that of Glastonbury.

As a band, though, they did the best live versions on the Zip Code tour, imo.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 12, 2016 12:37

Glastonbury was good, but nothing exceptional, towards the end it even gets a bit boring.

The MSG-version you can find on Four Flicks is four times better, imo.

The original studio version starts great but then it turns into a Santana-clone and I´m losing interest very fast. The shorter version on SF-Deluxe is much better.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 12, 2016 12:49

For me the original is tops. From the killer riff at the beginning to the jam at the end its a "thank God the tapes were rolling" situation. Everyone was at the top of their game. I saw them play it live once on the Licks tour in Vegas. It was really good & Ronnie played well, he was basically riffing off of Mick Taylor's work.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 12, 2016 14:08

whitem8
No live version I have seen yet beats the studio. But, some of the versions they did with Taylor and Ronnie were darn good. But man, that studio version is vicious and beautiful. some of Mick T's and Richards most nuanced and innovative guitar playing.

+1 Correct described...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: April 12, 2016 14:18

Snippets from rehearsals in Burbank 72...

Also LA20132nd show with Taylor...the band is so happy you can see it on the dvd

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: April 12, 2016 17:38

The studio version of CYHMK is my favorite all time Stones song - and that's saying something with all the competition. I've been lucky enough to see it live a few times - the best probably being at the small Boston Orpheum Theatre during the Licks tour. Doesn't get much better than that!

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: April 12, 2016 18:01

The original and the versions with Taylor and Bobby Keys a few years ago are the best. The version on Sticky Fingers Live is great because Ronnie has really stepped up his game in the last year or so. The worst are the 2003s because of Micks attempt to carry the song with a harmonica "solo."

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 12, 2016 18:27

flilflam
[www.youtube.com]

I like the Keith intro to this song,as opposed to the intro on the studio version. It is more jazz like, and Ronnie's guitar work is excellent. Charlie really knows when to pick up the tempo when the song begins to lag a little. I consider it to be a jazz version of a song that was originally intended to be pure rock.

That live version you like better than the LP version? Keith botched the intro on it yet alone he's never played it with the proper attack!

Date: April 12, 2016 18:30

The original, and MT & Roots. That swings the pan out, as we say in Holland.

Date: April 12, 2016 18:33

35love
muenke
Winning Ugly VXII
The original studio album version is the best in this case ..... followed by most of the 2013 live versions with Taylor.

Glastonbury 2013 "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" is a great combination of sound quality and performance quality.

After that,there is the '80's live version with Taylor and Richards as well as Buffalo 2014 and the version from the Chicago United Center in September of 2002.

Glastonbury:

[docs.google.com]

Glastonbury is great .... Stones romantic...

*Holy Toledo I've never seen Glastonbury until now!
Mick Talor and Bobby Keys took it over and showed us where it came from/ it's in their blood/ DNA, CYHMK.
MT is one of those virtuoso gifted people that you never see it coming from-

The mix is a bit weird - that guitar is too loud while Bobby's playing.

Date: April 12, 2016 18:35

That Glastonbury one is pretty damn good. Way better than the 2003 version.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 12, 2016 18:38

GasLightStreet
35love
muenke
Winning Ugly VXII
The original studio album version is the best in this case ..... followed by most of the 2013 live versions with Taylor.

Glastonbury 2013 "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" is a great combination of sound quality and performance quality.

After that,there is the '80's live version with Taylor and Richards as well as Buffalo 2014 and the version from the Chicago United Center in September of 2002.

Glastonbury:

[docs.google.com]

Glastonbury is great .... Stones romantic...

*Holy Toledo I've never seen Glastonbury until now!
Mick Talor and Bobby Keys took it over and showed us where it came from/ it's in their blood/ DNA, CYHMK.
MT is one of those virtuoso gifted people that you never see it coming from-

The mix is a bit weird - that guitar is too loud while Bobby's playing.

*I am also a bit weird, it's all good. After decades of 'listen only' I slowly approach watching/ seeing live certain videos/ concerts.
Also, love the Zip/Ole versions of CYHMK, got lucky to see it myself. Way to go Ronnie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-12 18:40 by 35love.

Date: April 12, 2016 18:39

HMS
Glastonbury was good, but nothing exceptional, towards the end it even gets a bit boring.

The MSG-version you can find on Four Flicks is four times better, imo.

The original studio version starts great but then it turns into a Santana-clone and I´m losing interest very fast. The shorter version on SF-Deluxe is much better.

Your opinion is wrong.

It's simply astounding how you are able to not like good music and musicianship.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: April 12, 2016 19:58

Any live version with Mick Taylor
Ronnie solos in 2002 and 2003 are too often painful.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-13 09:35 by powerage78.

Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: April 13, 2016 08:10

My best CYHMK was Columbus, 2002. I don't think I've ever heard one that wasn't stellar - but Columbus was fantastic.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: April 13, 2016 11:15

HMS wrote: "The original studio version starts great but then it turns into a Santana-clone and I´m losing interest very fast..."

That's exactly what I feel listening to the original studio version!! Glad to see that I'm not the only one...

PS: GasLightStreet, with respect, it's not about "wrong" or "right" opinions here. It's about music, which means about matter of taste, partly. Who says that we have to love the same "parts" of the Stones music and Stones legacy?

Date: April 13, 2016 11:16

So...long MSG 2003 version, to me!...

Date: April 13, 2016 11:30

... I mean "long live"...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 13, 2016 12:00

The Stones were truly on fire at Glastonbury from the moment they hit the stage with Jumping Jack Flash through to the choice of material and of course the playing.

The version of Can't You hear Me Knocking was nothing short of spectacular.

And here it is in all its glory. One of Mick Taylor's finest moments when he briefly came back into the fold.

video: [docs.google.com]

Date: April 13, 2016 17:50

laertisflash
HMS wrote: "The original studio version starts great but then it turns into a Santana-clone and I´m losing interest very fast..."

That's exactly what I feel listening to the original studio version!! Glad to see that I'm not the only one...

PS: GasLightStreet, with respect, it's not about "wrong" or "right" opinions here. It's about music, which means about matter of taste, partly. Who says that we have to love the same "parts" of the Stones music and Stones legacy?

No one, of course.

However.

It's just a matter of simplicity, which is really funny, especially since some people seem to basically make it the equivalent to elevator music considering the fantastic musicianship with the soloing part of CYHMK. It may be different tastes but that doesn't mean those tastes are good.

Saying that the second half of CYHMK is boring is the same as saying How Can I Stop and Beethoven is boring (and for one acorn here that considers DIRTY WORK better than any other Stones album): there's not enough room in the universe for that amount of ridiculousness.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: August 11, 2019 15:27

I have to agree with you: Glastonbury is kind of boring to me too. It’s like Taylor doesn’t want to go crazy and keeps it very conventional. I get that it’s a great moment in the Stones history but it could have been way better imho. I keep going back to the Fonda, actually...

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 11, 2019 16:37

Strange enough, since the alternate studio take came out, it's the one I listen to the most. It doesn't really have the lyrics or the "spontaneous" jam, but what is there instead is just an incredibly great groove of the kind you can only get with the Stones.

Date: August 11, 2019 16:43

Yeah, it’s a great outtake. It would be amazing to have a longer tape of the session. The opening riff on the album is so ferocious by comparison. How did they go from one to the other?

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 11, 2019 17:28

My favorite is Newcastle 1971. Wow. Talk about raw energy, rockin’ til the wheels fall off!

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 11, 2019 17:34

Fonda is decent, I like Wood’s tone there (his approximation of the record, no doubt). I’m just left wanting more. It turns into a generic Blooz jam that I can hear down the road for free with a PBR in hand.

Date: August 11, 2019 17:51

TravelinMan
My favorite is Newcastle 1971. Wow. Talk about raw energy, rockin’ til the wheels fall off!

You were there? winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1910
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home