Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
O.T. Has anyone heard of Peter Bruntnell ?
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 31, 2016 14:47

A pal of mine from my home town of Kingston, SW London has got a new album out on April 1st, of all days.

Very talented, laid back and unassuming guy who still plays regular in a few pubs back in the area.

Nice article in The Guardian the other day. thumbs up

Peter Bruntnell

Re: O.T. Has anyone heard of Peter Bruntnell ?
Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: March 31, 2016 15:43

I love Peter Bruntnell! So eerie that you posted about him because I just got a Facebook message from him yesterday. We did a tour of Sweden together in 2013. Lovely guy, and his song "By the Time My Head Gets to Phoenix" is a killer song. So weird you just mentioned him today.
Tommy

Date: March 31, 2016 20:26

That's great Tommy.
So glad that you know Pete and you know his music very well.
So many good CDs are around of his, and I got Ghost in a Spitfire, Normal for Bridgewater and another couple of CDs.
The song you mention is one of many faves of mine.
Here's a video of it and also a pic of me and Pete after a gig in Kingston last October time.
He was playing with one of his bands, 14 Cousins ,who are really popular in SW London.
Great to hear from you Tommy. smileys with beer

[youtu.be]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-03 20:56 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: March 31, 2016 21:56

I had heard the name but wasn't aware of the music.... I am now :-) thanks for this, I'm on-board

johnthumbs up

Date: March 31, 2016 23:28

Anyone who may be in London about July 20th.

Just seen on FB he has a gig at legendary 100 Club, Oxford Street.

Great venue for a great band, and I think first time for Peter Bruntnell.

Just seen the price and only £13.20 at the 100 Club.

Good on yer mate. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-31 23:42 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 31, 2016 23:50

Will check it out, thanks.

Date: April 4, 2016 19:10

Nice 5 star review of the new album and also a nice review from Paul Kerr and the track Yuri Gagarin on youtube. smileys with beer

Nos Da Comrade

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 4, 2016 19:24

I have Normal For Bridgewater and Ghost In A Spitfire. He's a fantastic songwriter.

Just really great country rock and tunes good enough to be covered by the Stones.

Date: April 4, 2016 21:24

I have those two Silver Dagger and another couple of CDs as well as the new one.

Every now and then in our home town in Kingston, he does a solo acoustic set in one of the music pubs.

I just shouted out, Ghost in a Spitfire, and he played it on acoustic guitar just on his own.

My ideal Rolling Stones gig would be Pete and one of his various bands he plays with as support before the main act.

Very British and great songwriting , as The Rolling Stones have always been since the early 60's.

I was at this pub in Kingston a few years ago when this video was taken. Great Sunday afternoon entertainment. smileys with beer

[youtu.be]

Date: April 5, 2016 09:37

crawdaddy
I have those two Silver Dagger and another couple of CDs as well as the new one.

Every now and then in our home town in Kingston, he does a solo acoustic set in one of the music pubs.

I just shouted out, Ghost in a Spitfire, and he played it on acoustic guitar just on his own.

My ideal Rolling Stones gig would be Pete and one of his various bands he plays with as support before the main act.

Very British and great songwriting , as The Rolling Stones have always been since the early 60's.

I was at this pub in Kingston a few years ago when this video was taken. Great Sunday afternoon entertainment. smileys with beer

[youtu.be]

Is he from London, Crawdaddy? I thought he lived in Somerset or the west country.

Date: April 5, 2016 12:41

He lives down in Devon, but is in Kingston a lot where he was brought up and went to school.
When he was a youngster he was an apprentice telephone engineer and he worked with me as part of his training .
We both vaguely remember those days.

I think there is some stuff on his website , but he doesn't update it much.
Next gig I know is with 14 Cousins, his covers band on April 24th, Sunday afternoon at The Oak pub in Kingston.
Always a packed house when they play down there.
James Walbourne,the guitarist who plays with Ray Davies and the Pretenders is also a bandmate in one of his bands, and Dave Boquist from Son Volt when he plays in North America.

Pete Bruntnell Tour

Review from Fatea

Two other fave songs of mine

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-05 15:59 by crawdaddy.

Date: April 5, 2016 13:22

crawdaddy
He lives down in Devon, but is in Kingston a lot where he was brought up and went to school.
When he was a youngster he was an apprentice telephone engineer and he worked with me as part of his training .
We both vaguely remember those days.

I think there is some stuff on his website , but he doesn't update it much.
Next gig I know is with 14 Cousins, his covers band on April 24th, Sunday afternoon at The Oak pub in Kingston.
Always a packed house when they play down there.
James Walbourne,the guitarist who plays with Ray Davies and the Pretenders is also a bandmate in one of his bands, and Dave Boquist from Son Volt when he plays in North America.

Pete Bruntnell Tour

Two other fave songs of mine

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

James Walbourne? Wow - he's also in The Rails with his partner Kami Thompson (daughter of Richard and Linda). That's a great album too if you like folk-rock kinda stuff.

Date: April 5, 2016 13:44

I'll have a look at that one Mike.

I seen James Walbourne play just the once when Pete and his band played in a local pub, and what a brilliant guitar player he is.

I think he got to know Ray Davies from being a Muswell Hillbilly.

His brother Rob was also in the same band lineup that night if I remember.

I think ,like Pete, he plays in various bands when they go on Tour or just play in pubs.

You can't keep a good musician down.

Ronnie is a great example of that when The Stones are not touring. winking smiley

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: April 6, 2016 19:43

I just got a message from Peter on my Facebook. He's planning to come to the Americana Music Association fest in Nashville. We're also trading copies of our new CDs in the mail. Looks like he's doing pretty well for himself.
Tommy

Date: April 6, 2016 19:48

He deserves this sort of recognition, but he just doesn't seem to be bothered if he is famous or unknown.

His song writing and performing those songs is the important stuff.

Music Lovers like it or you don't ! Take it or leave it ?

This album is something special and I think he knows it, as well as his fans who have seen him play live.

What band are you in Tommy ?

Forget about that mate.

I worked out who you are and gotta say I love your work, and will look up your new album. smileys with beer

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-07 16:14 by crawdaddy.

Date: May 20, 2016 15:30

Seeing as things are fairly quite in Stonesland ,apart from Exhibitionism and the two gigs in October,I thought I would give this talented guy a plug.

The new album is selling well and he's getting lots of airplay in Europe, North America and even in Brazil .

He's got a track on the Blonde on Blonde covers CD and vinyl album available in latest Mojo Magazine. thumbs up

Mojo Magazine

Also getting good reviews for the album and here are a couple of reviews/interviews.
Interview with Pete.

Irish Times Review.

Americana UK interview.

Closing track on ' Nos Da Comrade', and one of my faves.
Caroline

Anyone in London area this weekend can catch him live with his great covers band 14 Cousins.
Saturday May 21st 9 pm at The Black Horse Pub, Brighton Road,Surbiton.
Sunday May 22nd 4pm at The Oak Pub ,Richmond Road,Kingston.

Tour promoting the album starts beginning of June In Ireland.
All info on FB and his website.
Peter Bruntnell. smileys with beer

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 20, 2016 15:37

Peter Bruntnell... NO!! ... but I've heard about the Midnight Rambler

ROCKMAN

Date: May 30, 2016 16:28

Anyone watch Vintage TV ?

Pete is doing a session for TV broadcast, with 3 other acts at Dingwells at Camden Town,London .
Thursday evening June 2nd. Free entry, but all tix taken up by yesterday afternoon.
Similar setup to Jools Holland show on BBC.
Will be broadcast every Sunday evening at 8-9 pm U.K. time, for whole of June.
Vintage TV Sessions.

Also another nice review here.
Review.

Date: February 6, 2017 18:26

I know it's quiet and not much happening on the Stones front at the moment so here's a video from Pete in Spain.
Live dates are on tour page of website and his Facebook page.
One of the best current singer/songwriters in the U.K. in my humble opinion.

[youtu.be]

Date: February 6, 2017 18:41

thumbs up

Date: November 7, 2017 01:17

A quite time again in Stonesland so just posting a couple of recent videos of my fave current British songwriter.
BJ Cole, who go's back a long way with the best of 'em over the years is also in the band.

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Tugboat ()
Date: November 7, 2017 04:29

Crawdaddy,

I never had the chance to thank you for introducing me to Peter Bruntnell. Since reading your February 2017 post and listening to the man I have purchased everything I can find. A true talent who is featured prominently on the playlist that runs through my head every day. Kind of like Freedy Johnston but with a broader palette. It is unfortunate that much of his music can not be purchased through the usual sources here in America - iTunes, etc. So, for example, I can listen to "Retrospective" on youtube but can not buy it anywhere, including Peter's website.

Thank you.

Tugboat

Date: November 7, 2017 17:49

Hi Tugboat,
a true talent indeed who I try to see live when he is playing somewhere near me in southwest London, although I also saw the gig at 100 Club last year.
He does go over to North America once in a while, but London area and Devon area in U.K. are his main parts of the country ,playing with various band lineups.

Ireland ,Scotland, Wales and parts of Europe are also played at times.
Currently doing Scotland and a few dates in Ireland which are on his website.
Main places for info are Facebook and his website although sometimes not quite up to date, so I just do a google search .

Hope you get the chance to see him play live somewhere with one of his band lineups. smileys with beer

[youtu.be]

Date: May 12, 2018 19:16

A couple of recent videos of Pete and his band.

Usually playing in U.K. or Europe and well worth catching a gig.

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Date: May 27, 2019 23:44

Seeing as there is not much news about Mick and the lads until rehearsals start, I don't feel guilty about plugging the best current British singer/songwriter/musician (in my opinion) . smiling smiley

He's got a new album out and playing gigs with various bands in U.K. and Europe throughout the year.
This is the title track from new CD, 'King of Madrid'.
Great pedal steel from BJ Cole in the band.
I feel really relaxed when I listen to this track...….. 'Cool Man'. smoking smiley

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 28, 2019 00:10

…. eeerrrrr no cant say I have ...
but I guess Pete's never heard of me either

ROCKMAN

Date: May 28, 2019 01:24

We've all heard of Rockman, or some have even met him...….in Stonesland and elsewhere.
I have yet that pleasure. smoking smiley

Date: October 30, 2020 19:14

Been playing quite a lot of Peters' stuff lately and he still does a gig from home most Thursday evenings on Facebook.

Best U.K. songwriter at the present time in my opinion.

Only just come across this little gem from 2016 that's just recently appeared on youtube.

smileys with beer

Date: November 1, 2020 23:17

Haven't seen this one for such a long time and at the same venue in Spain back in 2018.

King of Madrid. thumbs up

Date: December 17, 2020 18:56

Peter Bruntnell and James Walbourne did a couple of gigs at The Half Moon pub in Putney less than a week ago with a social distancing audience.
James usual job is with The Pretenders and sometimes with Ray Davies.
A really superb musician.
Know a few people who went to see them and said it was a really good gig.
I think they had a few more gigs in the pipeline but now that lockdown is really going to hit England even more come December 19th, live gigs will just be a memory for a while.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1773
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home