Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Least Favorite Studio Cut?
Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: March 30, 2016 05:34

The following suck:
Baby Break It Down
Sweet Neocon
Rock & a hard place
Melody
Just wanna see his face
Always Suffering

All else is gold.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: March 30, 2016 06:52

Back to Zero is AWFUL
Sweet Neo Con is somehow WORSE
Always Suffering is BORING
Rock and a Hard Place is PLASTIC and Forgettable

But, hey, what's a few duds in a career like that?

T@3

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: March 30, 2016 07:13

1. Take It Or Leave It
2. Who's Driving Your Plane?
3. Blinded By Love (Or Rainbows, they're both horrid)
4. New Faces
5. Driving Too Fast (or substitute just about every other song on ABcool smiley

It doesn't get much worse than the above IMO...but admit it - you all secretly wish Mick would add your least favorite songs to the setlist.

Date: March 30, 2016 08:55

BILLPERKS
DandelionPowderman
I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys
Gunface
Blinded By Rainbows
I @#$%& LOVE GUNFACE....BLASPHEMY !!

And I love I Just Wanna See His Face. Unforgivable! smiling smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 30, 2016 09:36

TumblinDice76
Least Favorite 5

1) Cherry Oh Baby
2) She Smiled Sweetly
3) Anybody Seen My Baby?
4) Melody
5) if you Really Want to be my Friend

You might as well have nominated "Ruby Tuesday" or "Wild Horses" as "She Smiled Sweetly" among your least respected five. You earn the equivalent amount of respect.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: March 30, 2016 09:38

Swayed1967
1. Take It Or Leave It
4. New Faces

It doesn't get much worse than the above IMO...but admit it - you all secretly wish Mick would add your least favorite songs to the setlist.

Who's Driving Your Plane is a great tune! It's mean and raw. Great stuff!

Worst? Out Of Control -- no doubt about it. A silly, forced, boring song, dull songwriting. All you do is wait for the dumb chorus to kick in and again and again and again while Keef barely touches his guitar. Lame.

I am not sure what the problem is with Back To Zero. It's not typical Stones, but BTB or ABB are not typical Stones -- it's solo Jagger with the rest of the Stones contributing.

Date: March 30, 2016 10:23

frenki09
Swayed1967
1. Take It Or Leave It
4. New Faces

Who's Driving Your Plane is a great tune! It's mean and raw. Great stuff!

Worst? Out Of Control -- no doubt about it. A silly, forced, boring song, dull songwriting. All you do is wait for the dumb chorus to kick in and again and again and again while Keef barely touches his guitar. Lame.

I am not sure what the problem is with Back To Zero. It's not typical Stones, but BTB or ABB are not typical Stones -- it's solo Jagger with the rest of the Stones contributing.

?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 30, 2016 11:06

Every recorded track with Stones is rock-history but there are a couple of them that I don't happened to like...My least favorite studio cut is:

...is...well who would care...smiling smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: March 30, 2016 11:18

Come On
Every recorded track with Stones is rock-history but there are a couple of them that I don't happened to like...My least favorite studio cut is:

Keef is too wasted on that track!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 30, 2016 11:26

Back To Zero
Don't Hold Back
Sweet Neocon
Sing This Together (See What Happens)
On With The Show
I Wanna Hold You

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: March 30, 2016 11:54

matxil
Back To Zero
Don't Hold Back
Sweet Neocon
Sing This Together (See What Happens)
On With The Show
I Wanna Hold You

On With The Show, while admittedly a goof of a song, is one of Mick’s finest moments IMO – wish there was a video to accompany it (Marianne could’ve started the show at 2 o’clock). I think I’ll give it a long-overdue listen when I take my plane out for a drive tonight.

Date: March 30, 2016 12:25

Come On

I do like your attitude towards giving an answer to that particular (somewhat odious) question. But you are, in fact, one of the few posters, whose point of view even on that non-subject has more interest than from many others.

Date: March 30, 2016 13:11

Witness
Come On

I do like your attitude towards giving an answer to that particular (somewhat odious) question. But you are, in fact, one of the few posters, whose point of view even on that non-subject has more interest than from many others.

smiling smileyThanks Witness for your kind Words...it's 2016 and 11 years since Stones latest studio-album...It is no exaggeration to say that I am grateful for what is recorded, but when the records were released I have thoughts about some of them songs ... as most of Dirty Work for example ... today, I think it is an interesting record from 80 's point of view..I did only care for half of the songs on Exile in 1972 also..eye popping smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: March 30, 2016 13:35

Blimey, the list is endless...this band have produced some of the greatest music in history, but they have also produced some truly horrific music. If I really had to pick just one out I'd struggle as there are many that sit at the same level for me but the two that spring to mind as being really bad are....

Indian Girl
Sweet Neo Con

I'd then move on to

Luxury
Blinded by Rainbows
and most of ABB

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: March 30, 2016 13:56

Fingerprint File
Back To Zero
Hold Back

Date: March 30, 2016 14:09

Following the River
Blinded by Rainbows
Rock & Hard Place
Blinded by Love
Losing my Touch
Infamy
Hold Back

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 30, 2016 14:10

Gunface rocks!

This prize (i.e. worst studio cut) has to go to "Streets Of Love" whitout any doubt

Date: March 30, 2016 15:44

Again and again in this thread I read "Blinded by Rainbows" denounced as bad and am quite surprised. While neither a major attraction from an all over their career perspective, nor one of the very best from that medium good album VOODOO LOUNGE, it is in my evaluation still one of the better songs of that album. Interesting song, besides, because of its anti-terrorist stance. Maybe that is the reason: Many posters prefer the Stones to be shortsightedly absorbed in sex and drugs. Or?

Date: March 30, 2016 16:03

Witness
Again and again in this thread I read "Blinded by Rainbows" denounced as bad and am quite surprised. While neither a major attraction from an all over their career perspective, nor one of the very best from that medium good album VOODOO LOUNGE, it is in my evaluation still one of the better songs of that album. Interesting song, besides, because of its anti-terrorist stance. Maybe that is the reason: Many posters prefer the Stones to be shortsightedly absorbed in sex and drugs. Or?

For me, it's the lack of conviction, the half-assed playing and the production that ruins this one. Even with that fixed, it would only be the third best ballad on VL, imo. Come to think of it, no, it would still rank behind The Worst, New Faces and Out Of Tears (again imho).

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: March 30, 2016 16:13

Witness
You might as well have nominated "Ruby Tuesday" or "Wild Horses" as "She Smiled Sweetly" among your least respected five. You earn the equivalent amount of respect.

They way most people feel about Dirty Work is how I feel about Between the Buttons. After following Aftermath, Between the Buttons seems like a MAJOR step backwards. Its like they tried to create a "Beatles Album". Honestly anything not named Ruby Tuesday, Miss Amanda Jones, or Lets Spend the Night Together could qualify for my least favorite songs. Even Ruby Tuesday doesn't do much for me. I like my Stones with swagger. Songs with string arrangements don't exactly do it for me. Not surprising I much more prefer The Who, Kinks, and Zeppelin to the Beatles.

Date: March 30, 2016 16:21

TumblinDice76
Witness

They way most people feel about Dirty Work is how I feel about Between the Buttons. After following Aftermath, Between the Buttons seems like a MAJOR step backwards. Its like they tried to create a "Beatles Album". Honestly anything not named Ruby Tuesday, Miss Amanda Jones, or Lets Spend the Night Together could qualify for my least favorite songs. Even Ruby Tuesday doesn't do much for me. I like my Stones with swagger. Songs with string arrangements don't exactly do it for me. Not surprising I much more prefer The Who, Kinks, and Zeppelin to the Beatles.

And BTB is the most Kinks-sounding album the Stones ever made.

The Kinks – Party Line

[www.youtube.com]

The Rolling Stones – Connection

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 30, 2016 16:32

It's all over now is a Little bit Kinks, but much better...smiling smiley

Date: March 30, 2016 17:09

As expressed formerly, to me the flavour and feel of BETWEEN THE BUTTONS and the Kinks are widely apart. My impression as one living at the time was like that then, too. The first album by the Kinks was in fact the first album I ever owned, and I also bought their third one, KINK KONTROVERSY, when that one was quite new.

"It's All Over Now" was never like the Kinks to me either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-30 17:10 by Witness.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: March 30, 2016 17:19

"Fool to cry" and "Miss you" as very close runner up.

Date: March 30, 2016 17:21

Witness
As expressed formerly, to me the flavour and feel of BETWEEN THE BUTTONS and the Kinks are widely apart. My impression as one living at the time was like that then, too. The first album by the Kinks was in fact the first album I ever owned, and I also bought their third one, KINK KONTROVERSY, when that one was quite new.

"It's All Over Now" was never like the Kinks to me either.

But don't you hear the vibe on tracks like Something Happens To Me Yesterday? The music hall-influence, which the Stones never had done before. The resemblance, both musically and attitude-wise, between Connection and Party Line should be obvious. The playfulness, much similar to the Kinks, in Cool, Calm, Collected. Even the semi-freakiness, cobbled with the melodious, in All Sold Out was also to be found in the Kinks's music – at the time this was new for the Stones.

They might have picked up a thing or two from the Beatles (as the Kinks also did), but the final product – the sound – is imo reminiscent of that of the Kinks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-30 17:22 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: March 30, 2016 17:34

Witness

Speaking for myself, the words ring very hollow. I dislike the music and arrangement; it i as by the numbers minor key ballad. You know every change that is going to happen before it occurs. I hate the choice of words, but more than anything it is just the sense of treading water that I get.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: March 30, 2016 17:58

In another land

Date: March 30, 2016 17:59

DandelionPowderman
Witness

But don't you hear the vibe on tracks like Something Happens To Me Yesterday? The music hall-influence, which the Stones never had done before. The resemblance, both musically and attitude-wise, between Connection and Party Line should be obvious. The playfulness, much similar to the Kinks, in Cool, Calm, Collected. Even the semi-freakiness, cobbled with the melodious, in All Sold Out was also to be found in the Kinks's music – at the time this was new for the Stones.

They might have picked up a thing or two from the Beatles (as the Kinks also did), but the final product – the sound – is imo reminiscent of that of the Kinks.

I have in at least one former thread acknowledged the likeness in melody between "Party Line" and "Connection"(which I had not noticed before), but it was then I used the words flavour and feel as different. And I referred myself to a certain kind of similiarity in build up between "Got Love If You want It" from Kinks' first album and "Cool, Calm, Collected", but in that case everything is always brought from some other issue. The other examples I find even more farfetched.

Date: March 30, 2016 18:05

Palace Revolution 2000
Witness
quote]

Speaking for myself, the words ring very hollow. I dislike the music and arrangement; it i as by the numbers minor key ballad. You know every change that is going to happen before it occurs. I hate the choice of words, but more than anything it is just the sense of treading water that I get.

To me the words don't ring hollow here, but on the contrary more sincere than usually.

Date: March 30, 2016 18:24

Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness

I have in at least one former thread acknowledged the likeness in melody between "Party Line" and "Connection"(which I had not noticed before), but it was then I used the words flavour and feel as different. And I referred myself to a certain kind of similiarity in build up between "Got Love If You want It" from Kinks' first album and "Cool, Calm, Collected", but in that case everything is always brought from some other issue. The other examples I find even more farfetched.

OK, listen to the sound, the production and the vibe the Stones have here. I threw in some Kinks-snippets for you to show what I'm talking about.

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1572
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home